PDA

View Full Version : Teleporting free of bonds?

The Glyphstone
2010-08-30, 10:37 AM
If a caster is captured and chained to a wall in the dungeon, he should be able to Dimension Door or (Stilled) Teleport to freedom. But what if he's not pinned by an immobile object, but tied up/manacled? Would you allow him to DD or 'port to an adjacent square, selectively choosing which of his 'attended objects' come with him and what gets left behind?

Esser-Z
2010-08-30, 10:40 AM
I'd probably allow it.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-30, 10:46 AM
Teleport and Dimension Door only have verbal components. They are not impeded by bounds. You'll have to gag him, and if he uses a silenced teleport, he's out of it.

Oh, and you can choose not to bring an object with you. The exact wording is "You can bring along objects". Kann, not Muss!

Ormagoden
2010-08-30, 10:46 AM
"You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load."

I'd let it work nothing says it can't.

Edit: NINJA EDITING DOESN'T COUNT!

Esser-Z
2010-08-30, 10:47 AM
Indeed, the phrasing there specifics you 'can' bring along objects, not that you have to.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-30, 10:48 AM
Teleport and Dimension Door only have verbal components. They are not impeded by bounds. You'll have to gag him, and if he uses a silenced teleport, he's out of it.

I think you misunderstood. The assumption was that he can cast the spell while bound, the question was if the ropes/manacles go with him. So far, the consensus seems to be 'no, they stay', which works for me. As Ormag pointed out, it is supported in the rules that bringing objects along is optional.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-30, 10:52 AM
I think you misunderstood. The assumption was that he can cast the spell while bound, the question was if the ropes/manacles go with him. So far, the consensus seems to be 'no, they stay', which works for me. As Ormag pointed out, it is supported in the rules that bringing objects along is optional.

And you missed my edit :p

Ingus
2010-08-30, 11:01 AM

The caster chooses which object to bring, but you should look at object continuity. I.e.: bringing the rope entangling him is possible, bringing the manacles attached to the wall requires a DM fiat.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-30, 11:16 AM
And you missed my edit :p

Not fair for you to edit while I'm quoting.:smalltongue:

The caster chooses which object to bring, but you should look at object continuity. I.e.: bringing the rope entangling him is possible, bringing the manacles attached to the wall requires a DM fiat.

That's kinda odd. Why would the caster want to stay tied up?

Snake-Aes
2010-08-30, 11:18 AM

Psst, you don't want to know.

Vangor
2010-08-30, 11:20 AM

Out of prison and, hey, free rope.

Keld Denar
2010-08-30, 11:48 AM
Isn't the first lesson learned in PCing 101:

1) Loot all which is not nailed down.
2) Bring a hammer to remove nails
3) Loot nails
4) Goto 1

If you are gonna teleport out of prison, free manacles sound like a bonus to me!

Kaww
2010-08-30, 11:52 AM
Isn't the first lesson learned in PCing 101:

1) Loot all which is not nailed down.
2) Bring a hammer to remove nails
3) Loot nails
4) Goto 1

If you are gonna teleport out of prison, free manacles sound like a bonus to me!

While you're there free wall isn't that bad... And if you can't take it whole take all the bricks you can, teleport home and redecorate...

Fax Celestis
2010-08-30, 11:57 AM
Mechanically, it works. Fluffwise, I have trouble with it, considering dimension door is literally making a door, opening it, and stepping through. It is hard to step through a door when you are chained to a wall, and harder still to open it with bound hands. Other teleportation, no issue.

Thinker
2010-08-30, 12:03 PM
Mechanically, it works. Fluffwise, I have trouble with it, considering dimension door is literally making a door, opening it, and stepping through. It is hard to step through a door when you are chained to a wall, and harder still to open it with bound hands. Other teleportation, no issue.

That's not actually what the description for Dimension Door says:

You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired—whether by simply visualizing the area or by stating direction. After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn. You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent per three caster levels. A Large creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures, and so forth. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you.

If you arrive in a place that is already occupied by a solid body, you and each creature traveling with you take 1d6 points of damage and are shunted to a random open space on a suitable surface within 100 feet of the intended location.

If there is no free space within 100 feet, you and each creature traveling with you take an additional 2d6 points of damage and are shunted to a free space within 1,000 feet. If there is no free space within 1,000 feet, you and each creature travelling with you take an additional 4d6 points of damage and the spell simply fails.

No doors required!

Fax Celestis
2010-08-30, 12:07 PM
That's not actually what the description for Dimension Door says:

No doors required!

The SRD omits the italicized flufftext that accompanies each spell.

Person_Man
2010-08-30, 12:09 PM
[off topic]Remind me to cut off/out the hands, feet, eyes, ears drums, and tongue of everyone I capture from now on. If I need to interrogate them, I'll use Telepathy. [/off topic]

Kaww
2010-08-30, 12:18 PM
[off topic]Remind me to cut off/out the hands, feet, eyes, ears drums, and tongue of everyone I capture from now on. If I need to interrogate them, I'll use Telepathy. [/off topic]

Wow, you are REALLY cheap. You want to save money on rope and manacles...

Mongoose87
2010-08-30, 12:21 PM

I think he's trying to keep them from teleporting.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-30, 12:23 PM
I think he's trying to keep them from teleporting.

The fun part is that all you need to stop a wiz from teleporting (sans metamagic) is the tongue/throat hacking.

Thinker
2010-08-30, 12:27 PM

Unfortunately I don't have access to a PHB here at work and so cannot read the flufftalics. My bad.

Reynard
2010-08-30, 12:27 PM
The fun part is that all you need to stop a wiz from teleporting (sans metamagic) is the tongue/throat hacking.

Unless they're a Geometer.

dsmiles
2010-08-30, 01:08 PM

Nooo, he's just trying to save space in the dungeon by having them bleed to death before he has to keep them there. Don't you know that's where he's building his evil minions' break room?

Optimator
2010-08-30, 03:40 PM

Well, so does the 3.5 PHB so...

Fax Celestis
2010-08-30, 03:46 PM
Well, so does the 3.5 PHB so...

Really? Damn. I could've sworn it did. I also could've sworn I'd seen a picture of a wizard casting dimension door, but now I can't find it anywhere. :smallannoyed:

Douglas
2010-08-30, 03:51 PM
I think the fluff of actually making a door and stepping through it is from previous editions and got cut out for 3.x.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-30, 03:51 PM
Besides, if they kept it, wouldn't that make the lack of Somatic component really weird?

Tyndmyr
2010-08-30, 03:52 PM
I would hesitate to draw any rules inferences whatsoever from the images in D&D books.

See also, the spiked chain.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-30, 03:59 PM
On the other hand, if we stop using images in books as factual proof, then the cult of the Burning Hate will have succeeded in forever masking Pelor's true nature...

aeauseth
2010-09-01, 06:35 PM
My favorite magic item is anklets of translocation. A 10' teleport as a free action.

Our DM allows you to teleport out of a grapple, entangle, tanglefoot bag, etc. Only items that YOU are considered carrying go with you, so the tanglefoot stays behind, so does the web, etc. Is this RAW? I think so. I even asked WoTC awhile back and they agreed with me on the tanglefoot teleport getaway.

A not-so-awsome but useful tactic is to teleport 10' away from a prone position so you can stand up. Our DM doens't allow a free transition from prone to standing as part of a teleport.

Seffbasilisk
2010-09-01, 08:25 PM
So don't teleport to the ground. Teleport to the air above, and get your feet under you before you land.

The Glyphstone
2010-09-01, 08:31 PM
A DM who won't allow teleporting in a straight line to "cure" prone probably won't let that fly either though.

Interestingly, falling does not automatically make you prone.