PDA

View Full Version : Civ 4 tech support needed

Cogwheel
2010-08-30, 11:07 AM
So, I now have Beyond the Sword and Warlords for Civilization 4 on Steam. This is good.

It has a glitch. This isn't good.

Basically, it's like this. All the files for new stuff is slightly messed up. For example, say a leader has the Charismatic trait. You would instead get TXT_KEY_TRAIT_CHARISMATIC. I wouldn't even mind if it didn't mess up the game by taking up so much space. In short, does anyone know a solution to this?

Thanks in advance.

Erloas
2010-08-30, 11:20 AM
First thing I would try is Steam has an option to verify the integrity of the game files, see if that finds anything.

Is this happening in both expansions, or just one or the other? Is it now happening in the base game as well? Is it happening to all traits for all leaders or just some traits/leaders?

I would normally just recommend a re-install, but considering that requires something like a 8gb download I would look at other options first.

Winthur
2010-08-30, 11:29 AM
Sounds pretty much like some strings and tags in the game not being "closed" properly.

If you are into Python/XML, you can hover around the game files and check out if there's something out of the ordinary.

Otherwise, I'd reinstall, but that's because I have my game on a DVD disk.

Cogwheel
2010-08-30, 11:31 AM
First thing I would try is Steam has an option to verify the integrity of the game files, see if that finds anything.

Is this happening in both expansions, or just one or the other? Is it now happening in the base game as well? Is it happening to all traits for all leaders or just some traits/leaders?

I would normally just recommend a re-install, but considering that requires something like a 8gb download I would look at other options first.

First: How do I find it?

Second: Yes, no, yes, no, yes. It's in both expansions but not the base, and only affects stuff that the expansions added. Mostly. I saw some bit of the Barracks text get affected, so I don't know any more.

I tried reinstalling twice (Steam is FAST), but the problems remain.

Edit: I believe it mentioned something about XML files. Missing or something? I don't know. Stopped saying that after I reinstalled, mind you, even though the problems persisted. I don't have the slightest clue about XML/Python, sadly.

Erloas
2010-08-30, 11:53 AM
Well I'm not at my home computer... but if I remember right under the library section with the list of games, if you right-click on a game there is something like properties. It will bring up another box with game file integrity, fragmentation, and I think a few other things.

One thing about re-installing is that I believe Steam has a cache of files downloaded and it might instead just going back and installing from the originally downloaded cache so it wouldn't fix the problem. When you delete it and re-install through Steam does it seem like it is taking a normal amount of time to download the files? Steam might be fast, but even over a LAN with no other traffic 2-4GBs worth of data will still take at least a few minutes to transfer

Cogwheel
2010-08-30, 11:55 AM
Well I'm not at my home computer... but if I remember right under the library section with the list of games, if you right-click on a game there is something like properties. It will bring up another box with game file integrity, fragmentation, and I think a few other things.

One thing about re-installing is that I believe Steam has a cache of files downloaded and it might instead just going back and installing from the originally downloaded cache so it wouldn't fix the problem. When you delete it and re-install through Steam does it seem like it is taking a normal amount of time to download the files? Steam might be fast, but even over a LAN with no other traffic 2-4GBs worth of data will still take at least a few minutes to transfer

Oh, it took the normal amount of time, I'm just patient. I don't think it went back to any of that.

Anyway, I'll check integrity now. Thanks.

Cogwheel
2010-08-30, 08:01 PM
BtS had some broken files - 11 of them - now fixed. Warlords apparently had none.

Despite this, problems persist. I can't quite tell, but I think stuff added with BtS is fine while Warlords is iffy. Again, I'm far from sure about this. While starting up Warlords, it mentioned something about not loading the XML files properly, parses not being closed or... something, I forget. I accidentally closed it before getting a screenshot.

So, that's that. Thoughts?

Erloas
2010-08-30, 08:10 PM
Quite a few returns searching for Civ4 and XML errors, this is one I found

XML parser issues. These are not always actually XML issues, as many times there is some problem that happens during XML parsing but related to something else; but this may help. This patch (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4a3ad088-a893-4f0b-a932-5e024e74519f&DisplayLang=en) should update the system's XML parser to the newest version.
It also looks like users of a european version of Civ 4 running on US Windows may have to change their language options to English (US) (in control panel), or may have to change it so that the . (period) is the decimal symbol and the , (comma) is the group symbol (in same control panel). This fixes an odd bug that appears at first glance to be audio-related.

I'm not sure if that would be it or not since its working with the original version, but its worth a check. It does sound like an XML issue because it seems to be showing the XML tag rather then the data it is supposed to link to and that sounds like a file is not being read correctly.

Cogwheel
2010-08-30, 08:22 PM
Quite a few returns searching for Civ4 and XML errors, this is one I found

I'm not sure if that would be it or not since its working with the original version, but its worth a check. It does sound like an XML issue because it seems to be showing the XML tag rather then the data it is supposed to link to and that sounds like a file is not being read correctly.

Thank you. Unfortunately, the .msi file won't install because of some unspecified error. Pity, it sounds like it would fix the problem.