PDA

View Full Version : Old Monsters, New Encounters: Fun With Templates

Fax Celestis
2010-08-30, 11:07 AM
In my spare time, I'll apply templates and possibly advance basic creatures to make them more terrifying, or at the very least fresh and interesting. These creatures are free for use wholesale in your own games. I've done my best to apply templates as clearly, correctly, and sensibly (making changes if necessary) as possible.

To start things off, then, the uthilamus:

Uthilamus
Size/Type: Medium Aberration
Hit Dice: 3d8+3 (16 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (+5 Dex, +7 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+14
Attack: Tentacle +7 melee (1d4+4) and tentacle +7 melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: 4 Tentacles +7 melee (1d4+4) and tentacle +7 melee (1d6+4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Attach, blood drain, cone of slime, constrict, improved grab, mind blast
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60', illithid host, immune (ability damage, ability drain, acid, energy drain, mind-affecting), low-light vision, scent, spell-like abilities, spell resistance 13, telepathy 100'
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +8, Will +6
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 21, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 13
Skills: Bluff +6, Escape Artist +8, Hide +7, Intimidate +6, Listen +3, Move Silently +7, Spot +5
Feats: Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Combat ReflexesB, Great FortitudeB, Weapon FinesseB
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Usually Lawful Evil
Advancement: 4-6 HD (Medium); 7-9 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: --

This hairless, pony-sized weasel has a blank stare in its eyes. More disturbing are the four tentacles that erupt where its mouth should be and a fifth tentacle that emits from its forehead.

Uthilami grow to be up to 10 feet long and can reach a weight of 700 pounds. Illithids use uthilami as guard animals.

Combat
Uthilami stalk their prey in the dark and then leap on it, biting and clawing.

Attach (Ex)
An uthilamus that hits with its tentacle attack latches onto the opponent’s body with its powerful jaws. An attached uthilamus loses its Dexterity bonus to AC. An attached uthilamus can be struck with a weapon or grappled itself. To remove an attached uthilamus through grappling, the opponent must achieve a pin against the creature.

Blood Drain (Ex)
An uthilamus drains blood for 1d4 points of Constitution damage each round it remains attached.

Cone of Slime (Su)
Once a day, an uthilamus can shoot a psionically-charged 30’ cone of acid slime as a
standard actions, dealing 3d6 acid damage (Reflex DC 14 for half). Creatures damaged by this effect must make a DC 14 Fortitude save or take a -2 penalty on Will saves and be stunned for 1d4+1 rounds.

Constrict (Ex)
On a successful grapple check, an uthilamus deals 1d6+4 points of damage.

Illithid Host (Ex)
The illithid that created the uthilamus has a special bond with its pet. It always knows where the uthilamus is and if it is hurt. With a standard action, it may use the uthilamus's senses (seeing through its eyes, hearing what it hears, etc) if it is within five miles. It may also use dominate monster (no save) at any range at will. While using this ability, the illithid can use its own Psionics ability through the uthilamus's body, and can use its DC for its Mind Blast ability rather than the uthilamus's DC, if it would be advantageous to do so.

Improved Grab (Ex)
If an uthilamus hits a creature its size or smaller with even one tentacle, it begins a grapple as a free action that does not generate an attack of opportunity. If the uthilamus successfully gets a hold, then it can attach the rest of its tentacles with a single grapple check. If all 5 tentacles maintain a hold for a full round, the target’s brain is extracted and it dies immediately. An uthilamus also gains a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks.

Mind Blast (Su)
Once a day, an uthilamus can cause a region of psionic disturbance: all targets in a 40’ cone are stunned for 1d4 rounds. A successful Will save negates this effect (DC 12).

Skills
Uthilami enjoy a +4 racial bonus on Bluff, Escape Artist, and Intimidate.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp)
3/day - detect thoughts, suggestion

Telepathy (Su)
Uthilami can communicate with any creature within 100’ that has a language.

The Tygre
2010-08-30, 03:56 PM
I really like this; half the romance of templates is that they throw something new on an old monster, and something to give your PCs a scare. I really hope this continues. :smallsmile:

Case in point, just what is the uthilamus made up of? I figure there's some dire weasel in there, and some kind of illithid related templates for the coat, but I can't say what.

Zaydos
2010-08-30, 03:58 PM
I really like this idea, and the creature was good quality (I actually bookmarked this thread when it was first posted). Looking at it I'm guessing it is a Dire Weasel with the Voidmind template, but I'd have to check my books to make sure.

Esser-Z
2010-08-30, 04:09 PM
Aaand that's a thread bookmarked!

Fax Celestis
2010-08-30, 04:31 PM
I really like this; half the romance of templates is that they throw something new on an old monster, and something to give your PCs a scare. I really hope this continues. :smallsmile:

Case in point, just what is the uthilamus made up of? I figure there's some dire weasel in there, and some kind of illithid related templates for the coat, but I can't say what.

Half-Illithid Voidmind Dire Weasel. I'll do another one in a bit.

Zeta Kai
2010-08-30, 05:14 PM
Good concept; well executed. For clarity's sake, I'd state up-front what the creatures are made of, so that we can focus on the monster itself instead of discussing its components.

Esser-Z
2010-08-30, 05:17 PM
Though, a What Parts Did I Make This From? game thread could be interesting!

flabort
2010-08-30, 05:21 PM
If it can communicate like that, it's got half it's mind missing, and it's a weasel, I doubt people would hear it speaking intelegently.
GerrrreeEE-EE-EE-EE-EEeerrrrr..... uhguhguhguhguhguhguhg. Rrrf! Rrrf! HissssSSSSSSTSSTSTSSTSSTSSSssssss....

Just imagine hearing that IN YOUR HEAD, because one of these freaky critters got within 100' of you.

Fax Celestis
2010-08-30, 05:46 PM
Skyfire Rake
Size/Type: Gargantuan Outsider (Augmented Elemental, Fire)
Hit Dice: 18d8+180 (324 hp)
Initiative: +13
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 120 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 25 (-4 size, +9 Dex, +10 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +18/+43
Attack: Talon +27 melee (2d6+13+2d6 fire)
Full Attack: 2 talons +27 melee (2d6+13+2d6 fire) and bite +26 melee (2d8+6+2d6 fire)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Burn, felling strike, heat, punishing strike
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 18/magic, darkvision 60', immune (critical hits, disease, mind-affecting, paralysis, poison, sleep, stunning), low-light vision, quickening, resist (cold 20, electricity 10, sonic 10), spell-like abilities, spell resistance 28
Saves: Fort +21, Ref +20, Will +14
Abilities: Str 36, Dex 29, Con 30, Int 4, Wis 13, Cha 15
Skills: Bluff +21, Hide +18, Intimidate +23, Knowledge (Geography) +18, Listen +23, Move Silently +30, Spot +27, Survival +22, Tumble +30, Use Magic Device +23
Feats: Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Iron Will, Multiattack, Power Attack, Snatch, Wingover, EnduranceB
Environment: Elemental Plane of Fire
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 14
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 19-32 HD (Gargantuan); 33-54 (Colossal)

A gigantic bird wreathed in unnaturally hot fire swoops across the sky like a meteor, diving towards what appears to be a large pack animal. It picks it up effortlessly, crushing it in its talons, before circling back around towards you. It seems impossibly large and impossibly fast all at once.

A skyfire rake's plumage is a bright, vivid red from head to tail. These enormous creatures are 30 feet long from the beak to the base of the tail, with wingspans as wide as 80 feet. A skyfire rake weighs about 8,000 pounds.

Combat
A skyfire rake attacks from the air, swooping earthward to snatch prey in its powerful talons and carry it off for itself and its young to devour. A solitary skyfire rake is typically hunting and will attack any Medium or larger creature that appears edible. A mated pair of skyfire rakes attack in concert, fighting to the death to defend their nests or hatchlings.

Burn (Su)
Those hit by the natural attacks of a skyfire rake or striking a skyfire rake with natural weapons or unarmed attacks must succeed on a Reflex save (DC 25) or catch fire. The fire burns for 1d4 rounds if not extinguished.

Felling Strike (Ex)
Twice per day, when a skyfire rake strikes a critical hit, it can elect to make a felling strike by rolling again. If the result of this third roll would hit the target, the target takes the full damage from the critical hit as normal but must also make a Fortitude save (DC 10+damage dealt) or die.

Heat (Su)
A skyfire rake adds 2d6 fire damage to all its attacks. Creatures striking a skyfire rake with natural attacks or unarmed attacks take 2d6 fire damage.

Punishing Strike (Ex)
Twice per day, a skyfire rake may make a mighty attack against one opponent. It adds its Charisma bonus (+2) as a bonus on the attack roll and its Hit Dice (+18) as bonus damage on the roll. This ability must be declared before the attack, and should the attack miss the use is wasted. This ability may only be used every fourth round.

Quickening (Ex)
Four times per day, a skyfire rake moves and acts more quickly than normal for 18 rounds. On its turn, the creature may take an extra standard action, either before or after its standard and move actions for a turn. It also gains a +4 dodge bonus to AC. After using this ability, the creature is fatigued until it can rest for 10 minutes. A skyfire rake may otherwise use this ability every 1d4+1 rounds after the last use expired, but suffers exhaustion if the ability is used while it is fatigued.

Rapid Strike (Ex)
Four times per day, a skyfire rake may grant itself the effects of a haste spell (self only). Caster level 18th.

Skills
Skyfire rakes have a +4 racial bonus on Spot checks.

1/day -- burning hands (DC 13), elemental swarm (fire elementals only), fire seeds (DC 18), fire shield, firestorm (DC 19), flaming sphere (DC 13), incendiary cloud (DC 20), produce flame, wall of fire (DC 16). Caster level 18th.

For those of you playing along, it's a:
Fire Element (MotP) Half-Fire-Elemental (MotP) Dreadnaught (Book of Templates) Quickened (Book of Templates) Roc

The Tygre
2010-08-30, 06:12 PM
Ooh! Working with some third party stuff, eh? Well this just got all sorts of fun. :smallcool:

Zaydos
2010-08-30, 06:17 PM
Yeah, I checked when I realized it had powers I'd never heard of.

Fax Celestis
2010-08-30, 07:30 PM
Blightwolf
Size/Type: Medium Undead (Augmented Fey)
Hit Dice: 7d12 (45 hp)
Initiative: +7
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares); fly 80 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 29 (+7 Dex, +10 natural, +2 deflection), touch 19, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+5
Attack: Bite +12 melee (1d6+5 plus ghoul fever)
Full Attack: Bite +12 melee (1d6+5 plus ghoul fever) and two claws +10 melee (1d4+2)
Special Attacks: Ghoul fever, paralysis, phantom strike, rend 2d4+10
Special Qualities: Absorb (negative energy), blink, darkvision 60 ft., dimension door, fast healing 8, immune (Ability damage, ability drain, critical hits, death effects, disease, effects that offer a Fortitude save that do not affect objects, enchantment, energy drain, exhaustion, fatigue, massive damage, mind-affecting, nonlethal damage, paralysis, poison, sleep, stunning), incorporeal jaunt, low-light vision, phantom defense, scent, spell-like abilities, turn resistance +2, vulnerability to ghost touch
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +14, Will +11
Abilities: Str 20, Dex 25, Con –, Int 10, Wis 19, Cha 17
Skills: Hide +17, Jump +14, Listen +9, Move Silently +17, Spot +9, Survival +14, Tumble +17
Feats: Iron Will, Ability Focus (Paralysis), Weapon Finesse, MultiattackB, TrackB
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Pack (3-12)
Challenge Rating: 8
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 8-12 HD (Large)

Howls surround you, but they never seem to stay in the same place: they bounce back and forth from your left to your right, as if its source was moving from one spot to another instantly. Then you see a wolf appear from nothing, shimmering and translucent. Its shining eyes seem to pierce your soul, and the low growl it emits does not seem friendly. Black wings unfurl from its back, and a putrid slime drips from its slavering jowls.

The blightwolf is an intelligent undead canine that has a limited teleportation ability. It is theorized they are corrupted blink dogs.

Blightwolves have their own language, a mixture of barks, yaps, whines, and growls that can transmit complex information. They can communicate with blink dogs, but rarely do so.

Combat
Blightwolves hunt in packs, teleporting in a seemingly random fashion until they surround their prey, allowing some of them to take advantage of flanking.

Blink (Su)
A blightwolf can use blink as the spell (caster level 8th), and can evoke or end the effect as a free action.

Dimension Door (Su)
A blightwolf can teleport, as dimension door (caster level 8th), once per round as a free action. The ability affects only the blightwolf, which never appears within a solid object and can act immediately after teleporting.

Ghoul Fever (Su)
A creature bitten by a blightwolf must make a Fortitude save (DC 16) or contract ghoul fever.

Incorporeal Jaunt (Su)
A blightwolf can become incorporeal as a swift action. It can become corporeal again as a standard action or a swift action.

Paralysis (Ex)
Victims hit by a blightwolf's bite or claw attacks must make a successful Fortitude save (DC 18) or be paralyzed for 1d4+1 rounds.

Phantom Strike (Su)
For the purposes of resolving spells, melee attacks, ranged attacks, and other attacks that only require momentary contact to deal damage or have their effects, a blightwolf is considered to be both corporeal and incorporeal when it is incorporeal. Thus, the blightwolf receives its normal Strength bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls, and it can use material components to cast spells. A blightwolf cannot use special actions or attacks that require prolonged contact with a target, such as swallow whole and similar actions.

Phantom Defense (Su)
A blightwolf's armor bonus, deflection bonus, natural armor bonus, and shield bonus count towards its Armor Class, whether its attackers are incorporeal or corporeal. It gains a deflection bonus to AC equal to its Charisma bonus (minimum +1).

Rend (Ex)
If a blightwolf hits with two or more claw attacks against the same opponent, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 2d4+10 damage.

At will – charm person; 3/day – confusion, detect law, protection from law; 1/day – glitterdust, greater invisibility, hypnotism, sleep, Tasha's hideous laughter. Caster level 7th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

Vulnerability to Ghost Touch (Ex)
A blightwolf takes +50% damage from ghost touch attacks, regardless of whether or not a saving throw is available or made.

And it's a
Evolved (LM) Gravetouched Ghoul (LM) Half-Fey (FF) Half-Troll (FF) Phantom (MMV) Blink Dog

Sindri
2010-08-30, 09:03 PM
The Silverthorne Games Book of Templates is a magnificent book, especially if you want to scare your players. The Bestiary of Krynn is good too, though you'll need to refluff if you aren't playing DragonLance. Ogre? boring and easy. Troll? set it on fire and walk away. Amorphous Dreadnaught Dark Thrall Troll? BloodPawn SpellWarped BloodRager Hypermitotic Proto-Ogre? start running.

WinWin
2010-08-31, 12:05 AM
Can I play?

Arvandor Gold
The Arvandor Gold, known to sages as Phanstasmadiosporum spectabilis 'aurea' , is a huge climbing plant named for it's beautiful golden orchids. From a distance, it appears to be a mass of vines and orchids, being tended to by a swarm of multicoloured butterflies. These butterflies are actually petioles, or vestigial leaves that are nearly always constantly twitching and fluttering around the plant. Those who are familliar with the plant know better than to approach too closely. The 'butterflies' conceal thorns by which the Arvandor Gold can extract nutients from living beings. Even more horribly they can even provide the plant with limited flight should it need to uproot itself.

If that were not enough, the plant is capable of utilising the entrancing scent of it's orchids to draw prey near. Blissfully unaware, many creatures stumble into the plant in a daze, providing the plant with food and also a catalyst for it's parasitic reproduction. Those who have been fertilised by the plant become devotees, barely intelligent and fanatically protective of the Arvandor Gold. The plant itself seems to have some rudimentary intelligence and despite it's horrid methods of survival and propogation, seems generally benevolent. It often acts as a protector of other plant creatures and fey, taking only malevolent or savage creatures as devotees. Should it come under threat, it will often order it's devotees to flee, sacrificing itself to protect them.

Huge Fey (extraplanar)
HD 6d6 +24 (51hp)
Speed 5ft, fly 10ft (good)
Initiative +8
AC 18 (-2 size, +4 dex, +6 natural) Touch 12, Flat footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple +4/+12
Attack Vine Whip melee +5 or Musk Puff ranged touch +5
Full Attack 6 Vine Whips melee +5 or Musk Puff ranged touch +5
Damage Vine Whip 1d8
Face/Reach 15'/15'
Special Attacks Musk Puff, Consume Intelligence, Smite Evil, Spell like abilities
Special Qualities Blindsight 30', Damage Reduction 5/magic, Resistance to Acid, Cold and Electricity 5, Regeneration 5, Plant Traits, Spell Resistance 11 .
Skills: Bluff +5 Sense Motive +3
Feats Weapon Finesse(bonus), Ability Focus (musk puff), Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (vine)
Fort +9 Ref +6 Will +3
Str 10 Dex 18 Con 19 Int 3 Wis 12 Cha 13
Alignment Chaotic Good
Orgasnisation Solitary or Infestation (1 Arvandor Gold and 2-8 Aurean Devotees)
CR 6
Spell Like Abilities (sp) Charm person (DC 12) at will, Detect Law 3/day, Protection From Law 3/day, Hypnotism 1/day (DC12), Faerie Fire or Glitterdust (DC12) 1/day, sleep (DC12) or enthrall (DC13) 1/day, Tasha's hideous laughter (DC13) or Suggestion (DC14) 1/day.
Smite Good 1/day (su) Deal +6 damage to an evil creature.
Plant traits (ex) The Arvandor Gold is immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning and polymorph effects. It is not subject to critical hits or mind effecting effects.
Regeneration (ex) Fire and Acid Damage deal normal damage to the Arvandor Gold.
Consume Intelligence (ex) As a free action, the Arvandor Gold can extend dozens of probing, sharp-edged tendrils into the head of a helpless or unresisting creature in it's space. These Tendrils deal 1d4 points of Intelligence damage each round. Creatures that are reduced to 0 intelligence must make a fortitude save (DC18) or die, their bodies providing sustenance to the plant. Those who succeed are implanted with a seed and become an Aurean Devotee.
Musk Puff (ex) Range 30 feet, those who are struck must make a fortitude save (DC20) or fall victim to a mind effecting compulsion. Duration is 2d8 rounds, though those in the Arvandor Gold's space are under compulsion until removed.
Those under the effect of the compulsion must use their actions to move into the Arvandor Gold's space. They will even attack their companions if restrained or prevented from doing so. Once in the Arvandor Gold's space, effected creatures drop whatever they are holding and stand motionless. They are Dazed and make no attempt to resist the Arvandor Gold's attacks.

An easy one. But just in case...
Celestial, Half Fey Yellow Musk Creeper. It's zombies get the same template treatment if it matters.

Project_Mayhem
2010-08-31, 04:45 AM
Evolved (LM) Gravetouched Ghoul (LM) Half-Fey (FF) Half-Troll (FF) Phantom (MMV) Blink Dog

I think there's too many parents in there

Kifo
2010-08-31, 04:49 AM
Arvandor Gold is just plane cool.

A good flesh-eating plant is a really neat idea.

Am I the only one that thinks Arvandor Gold would be used by Elves and other Good woodland creatures as a terror-weapon against Orcs and stuff like that?

"We the Elves of the Good-times forest hereby humbly ask that all members of the Facebite tribe leave our woods in a weeks time or we will not be held responsible for the outcome." :smallamused:

Ernir
2010-08-31, 05:22 AM
I recently DMed a one-shot where every other creature in the dungeon had the half-dragon template. Including the troglodytes, the oozes, and the sheep that served as the plot hook.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-01, 08:05 PM
Warforged Battlemanufactury
Colossal Construct
HD 24d10+80 (212 HP)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 70' (14 squares)
Armor Class 37 (-8 size, +18 armor, +17 natural armor), touch 2, flat-footed 37
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+46
Attack: Axe +22 melee (4d8+18/x3) or maul +22 melee (4d8+18/x3)
Full Attack: Axe +22 melee (4d8+18/x3) and maul +17 melee (4d8+18/x3)
Space/Reach: 30 ft./30 ft.
Special Attacks: Energy release, powerful charge +6d6, spell release, trample 4d6+27
Special Qualities: Absorption, construct traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., generate spawn, immune (special), kinetic absorption, low-light vision, magic absorption, regeneration 8, resist (acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, fire 10, sonic 10), spell absorption, spell resistance 35
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +8, Will +8
Abilities: Str 46 Dex 10 Con – Int 7 Wis 11 Cha 1
Skills: Jump +58
Feats: Improved Bull Rush, Leap of the Heavens, Power Attack, Powerful Charge, Shock Trooper
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 22
Alignment: Usually Lawful Neutral
Advancement: –
Level Adjustment: –

This creature appears to be a warforged titan increased several orders of magnitude. It bears the signature axe and hammer arms, but also appears to be covered in thousands of tiny, swarming repair drones. Then you see one group of the drones split off and build before your very eyes an entire warforged titan themselves.

Warforged battlemanufacturies weigh approximately 500 tons. They are supermassive constructs with weak intelligence, but are shielded by thousands of drones that constantly repair it, manufacture warforged titans to aid it, and absorb incoming attacks.

Absorption (Su)
A warforged battlemanufactury can absorb energy attacks that would otherwise damage it. Absorbable energy types include acid, cold, fire, electricity, and sonic. The energy may come from a passive (bonfire) or aggressive (fireball) source, although the warforged battlemanufactury can only hold up to 24 total dice of damage from combined energy sources. Energies so stored dissipate harmlessly in 3 minutes. As a free action, a warforged battlemanufactury may release stored energy harmlessly.

Normally, a warforged battlemanufactury takes no damage from absorbed energies. However, if the maximum absorption level is exceeded by it being struck by a different type of energy, it must decide whether to attempt to absorb the new energy or not. If the warforged battlemanufactury attempts to absorb the new energy, it must completely disperse an equivalent amount of energy already being stored (if any). The exchange is difficult and the warforged battlemanufactury must make a saving throw against the incoming energy as normal. If the save fails (or no save is normally allowed), half of the energy is absorbe and the other half damages the warforged battlemanufactury. A successful save indicates the warforged battlemanufactury managed to absorb the incoming energy without harm. Whenever the warforged battlemanufactury elects not to absorb an incoming energy that it isn't already storing, it takes damage normally and doesn't acquire a new form of attack.

Energy Release (Su)
As a standard action, a warforged battlemanufactury may release one type of stored energy as a ranged touch attack against one foe with a 30' range increment. The energy does any number of dice up to the amount of damage that was stored (creature's choice). Once the warforged battlemanufactury uses up all the damage stored from a particular form of energy, it can no longer use that energy to attack.

Generate Spawn (Su)
As a standard action, a warforged battlemanufactury can create a number of warforged titans. Warforged battlemanufacturies may create 1d4 warforged titans six times per day. A warforged battlemanufactury may always choose to generate fewer warforged titans than the die roll indicates.

Warforged titans created by a warforged battlemanufactury remain in constant mental contact with their parent warforged battlemanufactury. Distance is not a factor, but communication cannot cross planar boundaries. Each warforged titan created is capable of independent action, and can even gain experience, but it obeys the commands of the warforged battlemanufactury without question.

A warforged battlemanufactury may only command 6 created warforged titans at a time: should the warforged battlemanufactury exceed this number, the oldest among the created warforged titans are released from contact and control. Free warforged titans may serve the warforged battlemanufactury, but are truly autonomous entities. When the warforged battlemanufactury is slain, all created warforged titans are freed of its control.

Immunities (Su)
While holding a form of energy from absorption or spell from spell absorption, the warforged battlemanufactury is immune to that form of energy or that specific spell. If the spell or energy is released completely, the immunity disappears. Immunity never applies to kinetic absorption.

Kinetic Absorption (Su)
A warforged battlemanufactury absorbs kinetic energy differently than other forms. For every 5 point of damage from physical attacks, the warforged battlemanufactury gains 1 point of Strength, up to a maximum of twice its original Strength. The enhanced Strength is available only on the warforged battlemanufactury's next turn to augment Strength checks, attack rolls, and damage rolls. Physical attacks still damage the warforged battlemanufactury normally.

Magic Absorption (Su)
Whenever a spell fails to penetrate a warforged battlemanufactury's spell resistance, it gains one of the following benefits, chosen at the time the spell resolves:
Might: The warforged battlemanufactury gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength for 1 minute.
Agility: The warforged battlemanufactury gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Dexterity for 1 minute.
Endurance: The warforged battlemanufactury gains a +4 enhancement bonus to Constitution for 1 minute.
Life: The warforged battlemanufactury gains temporary hit points equal to 5x the spell's level for 1 minute.
Speed: The warforged battlemanufactury's base speed increases by a number of feet equal to 5x the spell's level for 1 minute.
Resistance: The warforged battlemanufactury gains resistance 10 to one energy type for 1 minute. This ability stacks with the warforged battlemanufactury's existing resistance, but not with itself.

Powerful Charge (Ex)
Thanks to its powerful charge feat, a warforged battlemanufactury deals 6d6 extra damage on a charge.

Regeneration (Ex)
A warforged battlemanufactury regenerates 8 Hit Points a round from swarming, tiny warforged repair drones. Fire, acid, and electricity deal actual damage to a warforged battlemanufactury. If it loses a limb, the lost part is recrafted and replaced within 3d6 minutes. A warforged battlemanufactury may immediately reattach a sever limb by holding it back on.

Spell Absorption (Su)
A warforged battlemanufactury can absorb spells specifically targeting it, so long as the spell does not involve energy: if it does, the energy is absorbed, not the actual spell. The warforged battlemanufactury can absorb up to 24 spell levels of spells up to 8th level. Absorbed spells do not affect the warforged battlemanufactury. Stored spells dissipate harmlessly in 3 minutes. Rules for exchanging stored spells for incoming spells works as per absorption above, excepting that the warforged battlemanufactury is fully affected by any spell against which if tails a save, and it loses the spell it was attempting to release to absorb the incoming magic.

Spell Release (Su)
The warforged battlemanufactury can release a spell it has stored as if it had cast the spell itself. The released spell is subject to saving throws (DC 10 + spell level + the warforged battlemanufactury's Charisma modifier) and spell resistance as per the spell cast. Spell release never requires a Concentration check, nor does it provoke an attack of opportunity. A released spell has a caster level of 24, or that of the original caster, whichever is lower. Once the warforged battlemanufactury releases a stored spell, it can no longer cast that spell unless it has the same spell stored more than once or can cast that spell through another ability.

Trample (Ex)
Reflex half (DC 34). The save DC is Strength-based.

Spellwarped Siphon Legion Warforged Titan

Tharos
2010-09-01, 08:15 PM
I think you forgot to make your skyfire rake immune to fire :smallwink:

LOTRfan
2010-09-01, 08:21 PM
I think there's too many parents in there

Savage Species states that when two Half-templates are added, treat them as quarter-whatever blooded. So a Half-troll half-fiend human would actually be quarter troll, quarter fiend, and half human.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-01, 08:21 PM
I think you forgot to make your skyfire rake immune to fire :smallwink:

Fire subtype does that automatically.

InaVegt
2010-09-01, 08:41 PM
Mindwood Raven

Large Magical Beast (Psionic)
Hit Dice: 3d10+3 (19 hp)
Initiative: 4
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 70 ft. (poor)
Armor Class: 23 (–1 size, +4 Dex, +10 natural), touch 13,
fl at-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: 3/ 10
Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d8+3) OR Slam +5 melee (1d8+3)
Full Attack: Bite +5 melee (1d8+3), 2 claws +3 melee (1d4+1) OR Slam +5 melee (1d8+3)
Special Attacks: Psi-Like Abilities, Spell-Like Abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., evasion, low-light vision, Naturally Psionic, Power Resistance 13, Damage Reduction 5/Slashing, Low Light Vision, Plant Traits, Skill Bonuses, Vulnerability to fire.
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +3
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 19, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 14
Skills: Bluff +3, Listen +4, Sense Motive +4, Spot +7, Survival +4
Feats: Flyby Attack, Multiattack
Environment: Cold mountains
Organization: Solitary, pair, or flock (2–20)
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 4–9 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: 7 (cohort)

Psi-Like Abilities: 3/day: defensive precognition, empty mind, mind thrust; 1/day: force screen (Save DCs are Charisma based)

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day: Entangle, Summon nature’s ally II (Save DCs are Charisma based)

Evasion (Ex): If exposed to any effect that normally allows a Reflex save for half damage, a mindwood raven takes no damage with a successful saving throw.

Plant Traits: A mindwood raven has immunity to poison, magic sleep effects, paralysis, polymorph, stunning, and mindaffecting spells and abilities (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). It is not subject to extra damage from critical hits.

Skill Bonuses (Ex): A mindwood raven’s feathers resemble bark and leaves, and every part of the creature has a distinctly plantlike look that changes with the seasons. It is light green in early spring, darkening during the summer. In autumn, it turns yellow, orange, or red like a deciduous leaf. In the winter, it is a dry brown. A mindwood raven has a +4 bonus on Hide checks and Move Silently checks in aboveground natural environments. Additionally, mindwood ravens receive a 4 racial bonus on Spot checks during daylight hours.

Vulnerability to Fire (Ex): Mindwood ravens have vulnerability to fire. A mindwood raven takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from the effect, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

flabort
2010-09-01, 08:54 PM
So now others are posting templated creatures done horribly right?
May I? (gotta think of one first, though)

DaragosKitsune
2010-09-01, 09:49 PM
What is the Legion template from?

flabort
2010-09-01, 10:34 PM
If I'm allowed to put this here...
Caustic Swamp Hopper
These abnormally large and viscous toads are constantly surrounded by at thick, green tinted fog. As they blend right into the tall reeds and muddy pools that a swamp provides, you'd never notice one sneaking up right in-front of you in the middle of the day. They even blend into the trunks and branches of trees, appearing as lumpy knots in the wood. The dark, almost brownish green color that they naturally assume can shift quickly into other shades, and the twisted, lumpy warts it is covered in hide nasty razor claws underneath.

Size/Type: Small Magical Beast (Augmented Giant, Augmented Dragon, Augmented animal, dire, reptilian)
Hit Dice: d10 (6 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 25 ft. (5 squares), climb 15 ft. (3 squares)
Armor Class: 23 (+1 size, +1 dex, +10 nat. armor), touch 13, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: -3/-9
Attack: The Caustic Swamp hopper has two Claws (1d3) and a bite attack (1d4), and the claws are the primary natural weapon. Also has a tongue attack with 10' reach that does no damage, but may be used for touch attacks
Full Attack: The Caustic Swamp hopper will use both claws and its bite when making a full attack
Space/reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special attacks: Breath weapon, rend
Special Qualities: Amphibious, Dark vision (60 ft.), Low-light vision, immunity to sleep and paralysis effects, immune to acid, Fast healing 5, cold resistance 6, shadow blend
Saves: fort+3, Ref+3, Will+3
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 4
skills: Hide +22, Listen +6, Spot +6, swim +4, jump +4, move silently +10
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Temperate Marshes
Organization: groups (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 7
Alignment: Always Lawful evil

Racial/feat bonuses:
+14 hide, +2 listen, +2 spot, +10 move silently (already applied above)

Breath weapon (Ex):
The Caustic Swamp hopper has a breath weapon, usable once per day. It takes the form of a 30-foot cone of corrosive gas, and deals 6d8 points of acid damage. A successful reflex save reduces damage by half.

Rend (Ex):
If both claw attacks hit, does a rend attack dealing 2x the damage of a claw attack+ 1.5 times strength modifier.

Shadow Bled (Ex):
As long as the is not in full daylight (or a daylight spell), a Caustic Swamp hopper can blend into the shadows, gaining total concealment.

These guys can be really freaky. hide the player's spot and listen checks from them, and have reeds occasionally move (if they succeed once or twice). keep mentioning the gnats and mosquitoes, and then suddenly have a large, red tongue snap a group of them from next to the fighter's ear. Don't tell them were it came from. then start having more tongues start snapping bugs from the air all around the players, and have a caustic green gas surround them (Several of them using breath at once).

It's a Shadow Chameleon Half-troll Half Dragon (green) Dire toad, using the Dire template from Tome of horror, since no dire toad already existed

Ajadea
2010-09-01, 11:24 PM
Here's one. It's kinda obvious what it is, but I put it in spoilers at the bottom anyways.

Dratulliach

This creature is a scaly humanoid with large, feathered, silver-blue wings. Its arms and head are rather elongated, and it has beady golden eyes. A silver and blue crest runs down its head and neck, all the way to the end of it’s thick, muscular, tail. It is coated in silver scales tinted with blue and green.

Size/Type: Medium Giant (good) (cold)
Hit Dice: 13d12+48 (86 base, 134 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 feet, fly 150 feet (good)
Armor Class: 30 (+3 Dex, +17 Natural), Touch 13, Flat-footed 27
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+18
Attack: Bite +20 melee
Full Attack: Bite +20 melee (1d8+7) and 2 claws +18 melee (1d6+7) and 2 wings +18 (1d4+7)
Space/Reach: 5 feet/5 feet
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, smite evil 1/day, rend, unnerving gaze
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 feet, low light vision, alternate form, immunity to sleep, paralysis, disease, acid and cold, resistance to electricity 10, cloudwalking, vulnerability to fire, vulnerability to turning, DR 10/Magic, spell resistance 23, fast healing 5, scent, fortification 50%, ghost form, unnatural aura, spell-like abilities
Saves: Fort +14 (+18 vs poison), Ref +11, Will +13
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 16, Con 23, Int 16, Wis 21, Cha 20
Skills: Bluff +21, Concentration +22, Diplomacy +21, Disguise +21, Escape Artist +19, Intimidate +21, Jump +23, Knowledge (arcana) +19, Knowledge (religion) +19, Move Silently +7, Sense Motive +21, Use Magic Device +21
Feats: Power Attack, Flyby Attack, Improved Flyby Attack, Multiattack
Environment: Cold Mountains
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: Double Standard
Alignment: Always lawful good
Advancement: 14-15 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: +18

Rend (Ex)
If both Claws hit, the dratulliach does a Rend attack that is 2x the damage dice of a Claw attack + 1½ Strength modifier.

Breath Weapon (Su)
A dratulliach has two types of breath weapon, a cone of cold and a cone of paralyzing gas. Creatures within a cone of paralyzing gas must succeed on a Fortitude save or be paralyzed for 1d6+3 rounds. The cone of cold deals 6d8 damage, and allows a Reflex save for half damage. Both cones have a range of 30 feet. The save DC for both cones is 21 and it is Constitution based.

Alternate Form (Su)
A dratulliach can assume any animal or humanoid form of Medium size or smaller as a standard action three times per day. The dratulliach can remain in its animal or humanoid form until it chooses to assume a new one or return to its natural form.

Cloudwalking (Su)
A dratulliach can tread on clouds or fog as though on solid ground. The ability functions continuously but can be negated or resumed at will.

The dratulliach is immune to energy drains, ability damage, ability drain, and the special attacks of Ghosts.

The dratulliach has a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks

The dratulliach has a +2 racial bonus on saves vs. spells from the Necromancy school. When it dies, there is a 3% per HD chance the dratulliach will rise as a Ghost. Spells such as Detect Undead will detect a dratulliach as if it were an Undead of half its HD (not in the statistics block).

When saving against Negative Energy damage (such as from an
Inflict Wounds spell), the dratulliach takes no damage on a successful save and half damage on a failed save. It takes 1d4 damage from a direct hit of Holy Water.

Vulnerability to Turning – A turning attempt that would Turn or Rebuke an Undead of half the dratulliach’s HD causes the dratulliach to receive a –4 penalty on attacks, saves, skill checks, & ability checks until the ‘turner’ attacks the dratulliach, up to 10 rounds. If the
attempt would have Destroyed or Commanded the dratulliach, it is Stunned for 2d4 rounds.

Unnerving Gaze – a living creature who meets the dratulliach’s gaze is Shaken for 10 minutes (DC 21 Will Negates, DC is Charisma-based). A successful save gives 24 hours of immunity from that dratulliach’s gaze.

Ghost Form, 1/day – as a Full Round Action, the dratulliach can release its spirit from its physical body, leaving it comatose. The ghost form carries no equipment. If destroyed, the spirit returns to its body & takes 1hp of damage per minute it was away. Otherwise, the spirit can return any time it wishes and reenter its body as a Full Round Action.

Unnatural Aura – animals will not willingly approach closer than 15’ to a dratulliach & will panic if forced closer.

Spell-Like Abilities (Caster level 13):
The dratulliach may use telekinesis, every 1d4 rounds. It may use detect undead (incorporeal only) and daylight at will. It may use protection from evil 3/day. It may use bless, aid, detect evil, cure serious wounds, neutralize poison, holy smite, remove disease, dispel evil, 1/day each. The save DC is Charisma-based.

And it is a:
Young Fetch Half-Troll Half-Celestial Silver Dragon, templates applied right to left. Oh, yes, and it is technically playable. So...1/4 ghost, 1/4 troll, 1/4 celestial, 1/4 silver dragon?

Fax Celestis
2010-09-01, 11:44 PM
What is the Legion template from?

Goodman Games' Book of Templates. It is one of my favorite third party books, second only to Goodman Games' Complete Guide to Fey. The latter has what amounts to the Holy Grail of Homebrew in its final pages: a way to create fey creatures on the fly that can also accurately recreate the fey creatures in the MM.

BobVosh
2010-09-02, 12:07 AM
I love this thread. Just popping in to say that.

Also: Some of these entries look like Iron Chef: Template edition. Within cr 20, base creature (or maybe a template) as a SI. Amusing.

Elfin
2010-09-05, 03:48 PM
Wow - this is a very neat thread.
Wish I could try out some of these monsters...

Ajadea
2010-09-05, 04:34 PM
Wait, there's a rule about being under 20 CR? Uh-oh...

Inecrotical

Before you stands a large, commanding, humanoid, seemingly carved from black-blue stone, with wings of fire. Its skin ripples with tiny, mobile, bumps. It's face twists into a primitive expression of cruelty and vindictiveness. Thin cracks run across its body, lines of fire traced over pitch-black skin. Red and black wasps, eyes gleaming like carved emeralds, crawl in and out of the cracks, seemingly unhindered by the flame within. Its skin is frosted over despite the fire within it.

Size/Type: Large Undead (Angel, Earth, Extraplanar, Fire, Cold)
Hit Dice: 22d8+88 (187 hp)
Initiative: +10
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), fly 150 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 40 (-1 size, +5 Dex, +26 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 36
Base Attack/
Grapple: +22/+35
Attack: +5 dancing greatsword +36 melee (3d6+19/19-20) or +2 composite longbow (+5 Str bonus) +28 ranged (2d6+7/×3 plus slaying) or slam +31 melee (2d8+3d6+14+2d6 fire+energy drain+poison)
Full Attack: +5 dancing greatsword +36/+31/+26/+21 melee (3d6+19/19-20) or +2 composite longbow (+5 Str bonus) +28/+23/+18/+13 ranged
(2d6+7/×3 plus slaying) or slam +30 melee (2d8+3d6+13+2d6 fire+energy drain+poison)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Energy drain, poison, create spawn
Special Qualities: Undead traits, change shape, damage reduction 15/epic and evil, darkvision 60 ft, low-light vision, to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, critical hits, acid, cold, fire, Enchantment Magic and petrification, protective aura, regeneration immunity 15, resistance to electricity 10, spell resistance 32, tongues, hivedeath, hive distraction
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +18, Will +13
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 20, Con —, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 1
Skills: Concentration +20, Craft or Knowledge (any five) +23, Diplomacy +20, Escape Artist +30, Hide +26, Listen +34, Move Silently +30, Search +23, Sense Motive +33, Spellcraft +31, Spot +34, Survival +8 (+10 following tracks), Use Rope +5 (+7 with bindings)
Feats: Cleave, Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Initiative, Improved Sunder, Mobility,
Power Attack, Track, Great Fortitude (bonus), Alertness (bonus)
Environment: Negative Energy Plane
Challenge Rating: 35 (?)
Treasure: No coins; double goods; standard items
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Advancement: 23-33 HD (Large); 34-66 HD (Huge)
Level Adjustment: —

An inecroticel’s natural weapons, as well as any weapons it wields, are treated as evil-aligned and epic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Energy Drain – any creature struck with a natural weapon of the inecrotical gains a Negative Level (limit of once per round). The inecrotical gains 5 temporary HP (or 10 temporary HP if it was a Critical Hit), which last up to 1 hour. The DC to remove the Negative level is 21. The Save DC is HD based.

Create Spawn – any Elemental slain by an inecrotical’s Energy Drain rises as a Necromental 1d4 days later.

Poison (Ex)
Injury, Fortitude DC 18, initial and secondary damage 1d6 Dex. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Change Shape (Su)
An inecroticel can assume the form of any Small or Medium humanoid.

Regeneration (Ex)
An inecroticel takes normal damage from epic good-aligned weapons, and from spells or effects with the good descriptor.

The following abilities are always active on an inecroticel’s person, as the spells (caster level 20th)
detect evil, detect snares and pits, discern lies (DC 21), see invisibility, true seeing. They can be dispelled, but the inecroticel can reactivate them as a free action.

Hivenest Distraction (Ex)
Any living creature that begins its turn next to the inecroticel must succeed on a DC 18 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Hivedeath (Ex)
If the inecroticel is reduced to 0 hit points, it is instantly destroyed and a hellwasp swarm at full HP appears. The swarm acts independently of any control the inecroticel was under. Effects that completely destroy the inecroticel (such as disintegrate) prevent this effect.

Hive Mind (Ex)
Any hellwasp swarm with at least 1 hit point per Hit Die (or 12 hit points, for a standard hellwasp swarm) forms a hive mind, giving it an Intelligence of 6. When a hellwasp swarm is reduced below this hit point threshold, it becomes mindless.

It's a...

Hellwasp Hivenest Necromental Magma Elemental Half-Fey Solar with Mantle of the Icy Soul from Frostburn cast on it. So, yeah. Undead Flaming Stone Angel filled with Hellwasps and spelled with a cold template.

flabort
2010-09-06, 11:49 AM
Sand-Claw Gaurdian
Huge Elemental (Earth, Augmented Vermin, Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 11d8+132 (182 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares), swim 40 ft. (8 squares), burrow 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 30 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +21 natural), touch 9, flat-footed 29
Base Attack/Grapple: +5/+23
Attack: Claw +9 melee (2d6+2d6(acid)+21)
Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (2d6+2d6(acid)+21)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft.
Special Attacks: Constrict 2d8+21, improved grab, powerful claws, Earth Power
Special Qualities: Amphibious, darkvision 60 ft., vermin traits, Acid Immunity, Ill-Tempered, horrid regeneration, Improved Natural Attack, Tremorsense, Indistinct Biology
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +7, Will +7
Abilities: Str 39, Dex 12, Con 34, Int --, Wis 12, Cha 2
Skills: --
Feats: Improved Natural Attack (B)
Environment: Temperate coastal
Organization: Solitary, pair, or swarm (6-10)
Challenge Rating: 10
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Advancement: 11-20 HD (Huge), 21+ (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: -- (+4?)

Constrict (Ex): With a successful grapple check, a Sand-Claw Guardian can crush a grabbed opponent, dealing 2d8+21 points of bludgeoning damage.

Improved Grab (Ex): If a Sand-Claw Guardian hits an opponent that is at least one size category smaller than itself with a claw attack, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it gets a hold, it also constricts on the same round.

Powerful Claws (Ex): A Sand-Claw Guardian always applies 1.5 times its Strength modifier to damage inflicted with its claws. Additionally, it gains a +4 racial bonus on grapple checks.

Earth Power (Ex): A Sand-Claw Guardian gains an untyped +1 to attack and damage if both it and it's opponent are touching the ground. However, if it's opponent is in the air or water, it suffers a -4 penalty on attack and damage instead.

Vermin Traits: A Sand-Claw Guardian is immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). It also has darkvision (60-foot range).

Acid Immunity(Ex): A Sand-Claw Guardian is immune to all acid typed damage.

Ill tempered: All handle animal checks with a Sand-Claw Guardian have a +4 DC.

Horrid Regeneration (Ex): A Sand-Claw Guardian regenerates 30 hitpoints with a full night of sleep.

Improved Natural Attack (Ex): A Sand-Claw Guardian gains Improved Natural Attack as a bonus feat for all it's natural attacks.

Tremorsense (Ex): A Sand-Claw Guardian can sense anything in contact with the ground within a 60 ft. area around itself. If it is not in contact with the ground itself, it cannot use this ability. It can sense movement and general shapes of anything in contact, but cannot discern very much else.

Indistinct Biology (Ex): A Sand-Claw Guardian has very little discernible biology akin to it's similar counter parts. It has Immunity to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and critical hits. As well, it has damage reduction 5/magic.

It's an Earth Elemental Warbeast Horrid Dire [That damn] Crab.
Too powerful for it's CR? Not after you add templates

Urpriest
2010-09-06, 12:16 PM
That Damn Crab has a level adjustment?? :eek:

flabort
2010-09-06, 01:49 PM
No, a template applied does.
Earth elemental

Zaydos
2010-09-06, 02:03 PM
No, a template applied does.
Earth elemental

But that is an increase to the base creature's LA. LA - +3 is still -.

hamishspence
2010-09-06, 02:07 PM
Some templates do change stats with a - to stats with a positive number- for example, the Guardian Ooze template grants +2 to Int, and when applied to an ooze, despite the fact that oozes are Int -, gives it Int 2.

So, sometimes it can work. I'm not sure if the same can apply to LA's. Constructs normally have no LA, but the Incarnate Construct template in Magic of Incarnum, can grant a construct an LA.

Urpriest
2010-09-06, 02:32 PM
Some templates do change stats with a - to stats with a positive number- for example, the Guardian Ooze template grants +2 to Int, and when applied to an ooze, despite the fact that oozes are Int -, gives it Int 2.

So, sometimes it can work. I'm not sure if the same can apply to LA's. Constructs normally have no LA, but the Incarnate Construct template in Magic of Incarnum, can grant a construct an LA.

If you're thinking about the one in Savage Species, Savage Species actually gives Golems a level adjustment, suggesting that they be given a frankenstein-like intelligence to compensate (or Awakened, or Incarnated, which reduces the listed level adjustment). The Incarnum Golem from Magic of Incarnum is unrelated.

hamishspence
2010-09-06, 02:49 PM
Midnight constructs in Magic of Incarnum are a different thing from the template in Magic of Incarnum that can grant any construct a soul, and the Living Construct subtype.

I think I may have gotten the name wrong (from Incarnate being a class in MoI) - maybe the name was Soulforged Construct?

Either way- a template exists in that book to give a construct (which would normally have LA -) an LA for playing purposes.

Urpriest
2010-09-06, 02:57 PM
Midnight constructs in Magic of Incarnum are a different thing from the template in Magic of Incarnum that can grant any construct a soul, and the Living Construct subtype.

I think I may have gotten the name wrong (from Incarnate being a class in MoI) - maybe the name was Soulforged Construct?

Either way- a template exists in that book to give a construct (which would normally have LA -) an LA for playing purposes.

Ah I see, you're talking about the Soulfused Construct. You're misunderstanding it, though. It only gives +1 LA to constructs that already have a level adjustment. If it did what you suggest, then the example creature (a soulfused flesh golem) would have a level adjustment, and it doesn't. Just because it gives constructs playable Int doesn't automatically mean it makes them playable.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-06, 03:11 PM
I ran a Monster Advancement thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19720) for a couple or three years.

Let's see what some of the goodies were...

White Ears

Elite-Array Elephant with the Spirit Animal template

Huge Fey (augmented animal, incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 11d6+77 (115 hp)
Armor Class: 15 (+5 deflection, +2 dex, -2 size), touch 15, flat-footed 13; or 17 (+2 dex, +7 natural, -2 size), touch 10, flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+26
Attack: Incorporeal gore +8 touch or +15 melee against ethereal foes (2d8 non-lethal or 2d8+13 against ethereal foes)
Full Attack: Incorporeal slam +8 touch or +15 melee against ethereal foes (2d6 non-lethal or 2d6+9 against ethereal foes) and 2 incorporeal stamps +3 touch or +10 melee against ethereal foes (2d6 non-lethal or 2d6+4 against ethereal foes); or incorporeal gore +8 touch or +15 melee against ethereal foes (2d8 non-lethal or 2d8+13 against ethereal foes)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Manifestation, trample 2d8 non-lethal or 2d8+13 against ethereal foes
Special Qualities: Incorporeal traits, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +14, Ref +9, Will +10
Abilities: Str 28 (- against non-ethereal), Dex 14, Con 25, Int 5, Wis 20, Cha 10
Skills: Hide -2, Listen +19, Search +1, Spot +17
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Iron Will, Skill Focus (Listen)
Environment: Warm plains or Ethereal Plane
Challenge Rating: 9

Surrounded by mists, it walks out with a silent proud stance, a great white elephant with enormous tusks and intelligent eyes. The mists follow, and as it approaches one can see the landscape vaguely through the kingly creature's substance...

Combat

Incorporeal Traits: White Ears is harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons, powers, spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. It has a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source, except for force effects or attacks made with ghost touch weapons. It can pass through solid objects, but not force effects, at will. Its attacks ignore natural armor, armor, and shields, but deflection bonuses and force effects work normally against it. An incorporeal creature always moves silently and cannot be heard with Listen checks if it doesn’t wish to be.

Manifestation (Su): White Ears dwells on the Ethereal Plane. As an Ethereal creature, it cannot affect or be affected by anything in the material world. When White Ears manifests it partly enters the Material Plane and becomes visible but incorporeal on the Material Plane.
A manifested spirit animal can strike with its natural attacks (see above); these attacks deal nonlethal damage to physical creatures. A manifested spirit animal remains partially on the Ethereal Plane, where it is not incorporeal. A manifested spirit animal can be attacked by opponents on either the Material or Ethereal planes. A spirit animal's incorporeality helps protect it from foes on the Material Plane, but not against foes on the Ethereal Plane.

Trample (Ex): Reflex half (DC 24). The save DC is Strength-based.

Pinion

Advanced Spellwarped Corpse Creature Dire Vulture

Huge Undead
Hit Dice: 18d12 (117 hp)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 80 ft. (clumsy)
Armor Class: 22 (-1 size, +1 dex, +12 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +13/+31
Attack: Bite +21 melee (2d6+15)
Full attack: Bite +21 melee (2d6+15) and slam +18 (2d6+15)
Special Attacks: Stench
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., lowlight vision, scent, spell absorption, spell resistance 29, undead traits
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +12, Will +8
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 13, Con -, Int 6, Wis 14, Cha 4
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +16, Survival +15
Feats: Alertness, Flyby Attack, Improved Critical, Improved Turn Resistance, Power Attack, Snatch, Track, Wingover
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Pinion appears as a truley enormous vulture with a wing spread nearing that of a roc. As one comes closer however they see that its feather cover is sparse at best, showing leathery skin heavily crusted with seeping scabs. Mites crawl all about the skin, with massive nests about each feather pinion where it meets the skin. Mold speckles its gore-smattered beak. Its eyes still seem alive and bright with a hideous intelligence, though the skin around them have rotted away to show bone. Its two wide feet are covered in thick, flaking scales, from which dust trickles with each of their movements, and its talons have completely fallen away.

Combat:
Pinion usually executes any plan its master has dictated, but if left to its own devices prefers to dive from a great height and grab its opponent as it swoops down. It beats back to fly high above its roost and lets drop its victim. It repeats this strategy until its meal is dead, and then allows it to age before consuming, though more out of hatefulness than because of any true hunger.

Spell Absorption (Su):
As Monster Manual III.

Stench (Ex):
Creatures within 20 feet of Pinion are sickened for 1d6 rounds unless a DC 19 fortitude save is made. Those who successfully save are not affected again for 24 hours. Save DC is constitution based.

Skills: Pinion has a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Survival checks.

Uskollinen

Advanced Awakened Frostfell-Ghost Dire Wolf

Large Undead (incorporeal)
Hit Dice: 20d12 (130 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), fly 30 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 16 (–1 size, +3 deflection, +4 Dex), touch 16, flat-footed 12; or 16 (–1 size, +4 Dex, +3 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+26
Attack: Bite +22 melee (1d8+10); - against non-ethereal
Full Attack: Bite +22 melee (1d8+10); - against non-ethereal
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Chill ray, coldfire radiance, frightful howl, manifestation, rejuvenation, trip
Special Qualities: Immunity to cold, low-light vision, scent, spell resistance 33, turn resistance +4
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +16, Will +9
Abilities: Str 25 (- against non-ethereal), Dex 18, Con -, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 17
Skills: Hide +11, Listen +20, Search +8, Spot +20, Survival +4*
Feats: Alertness, Deflect Arrows, Dodge, Ghostly Grasp, Lifesense, Run, TrackB, Weapon Focus (bite)
Alignment: True Neutral

A mighty wolf appears slowly, like the approaching glow of stars as the sun sets. Surrounding it is a wavering cold light of whites, blues and greens reminescent of the aurora. Though it snarls with a primitive savagry, the eyes glow with intelligence and nobility...

Once the companion to a mighty shaman that gave speech and thought to its lowly servant, Uskollinen died thousands of years ago while defending his master from some powerful force. Uskollinen rose as a ghost to continue serving his master but was unable to find him again. To this day he continues to guard the land tirelessly until the return of his master.

Uskollinen speaks common.

Combat
Uskollinen always tries to scare away his intruders, his howls touching the primal fear of the beings about him. If this is unsuccessful he leaps upon them, freezing them until they flee. If even this is foiled he releases a chill ray of ghostly radiance, draining their life and warmth.

Chill Ray (Su): As Frostburn, p. 133, DC 23.

Coldfire Radiance (Su): As Frostburn, p. 133

Frightful Howl (Su): Uskollinen can emit a frightful howl as a standard action. All living creatures within a 30-foot spread must succeed on a DC 23 Will save or become panicked for 2d4 rounds. This is a sonic necromantic mind-affecting fear effect. A creature that successfully saves against the moan cannot be affected by the same ghost’s moan for 24 hours.

Manifestation (Su): Uskollinen dwells on the Ethereal Plane and, as an ethereal creature, it cannot affect or be affected by anything in the material world. When a ghost manifests, it partly enters the Material Plane and becomes visible but incorporeal on the Material Plane. A manifested ghost can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons, or spells, with a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source. A manifested ghost can pass through solid objects at will, and its own attacks pass through armor. A manifested ghost always moves silently. A manifested ghost can strike with its touch attack or with a ghost touch weapon (see Ghostly Equipment, below). A manifested ghost remains partially on the Ethereal Plane, where is it not incorporeal. A manifested ghost can be attacked by opponents on either the Material Plane or the Ethereal Plane. The ghost’s incorporeality helps protect it from foes on the Material Plane, but not from foes on the Ethereal Plane.

When a spellcasting ghost is not manifested and is on the Ethereal Plane, its spells cannot affect targets on the Material Plane, but they work normally against ethereal targets. When a spellcasting ghost manifests, its spells continue to affect ethereal targets and can affect targets on the Material Plane normally unless the spells rely on touch. A manifested ghost’s touch spells don’t work on nonethereal targets.

A ghost has two home planes, the Material Plane and the Ethereal Plane. It is not considered extraplanar when on either of these planes.

Rejuvenation (Su): In most cases, it’s difficult to destroy a ghost through simple combat: The “destroyed” spirit will often restore itself in 2d4 days. Even the most powerful spells are usually only temporary solutions. A ghost that would otherwise be destroyed returns to its old haunts with a successful level check (1d20 + 20) against DC 16. As a rule, the only way to get rid of a ghost for sure is to determine the reason for its existence and set right whatever prevents it from resting in peace. The exact means varies with each spirit and may require a good deal of research.

Trip (Ex): If Uskollinen hits with a bite attack he can attempt to trip its opponent (+11 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip Uskollinen.

Turn Resistance (Ex): Uskollinen has +4 turn resistance.

Skills: A dire wolf has a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks.

*It also has a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

Wynken

Spellwarped, Greater Phantom Blink Dog Monk 6

Medium Aberration
Hit Dice: 4d10+8 + 6d8+6 (63 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 60 ft. (12 squares)
Armor Class: 24 (+5 Dex, +1 deflection, +1 monk, +5 natural, +2 wisdom), touch 19, flat-footed 19
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+15
Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d6+2)
Full Attack: Bite +11 melee (1d6+2) and unarmed strike +6 (1d8+1)
Special Attacks: Flurry of blows, phantom strike
Special Qualities: Blink, darkvision 60 ft., dimension door, evasion, incorporeal jaunt/movement, low-light vision, phantom defense, scent, slow fall, spell absorption, spell resistance 28, still mind
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +14, Will +10
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 20, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 11
Skills: Concentration +9, Disguise +5, Hide +16, Jump +14, Listen +12, Sense Motive +7, Spot +12, Survival +8
Feats: Combat Reflexes(B), Improved Grapple(B), Improved Spell Resistance (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Improved_Spell_Resistance)x2, Improved Trip(B), Iron Will, Run, Track(B)
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Solitary, pair, or pack (7–16)
Alignment: Lawful neutral

Combat
Wynken's natural attacks are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction.

Blink (Su): A blink dog can use blink as the spell (caster level 8th), and can evoke or end the effect as a free action.

Dimension Door (Su): A blink dog can teleport, as dimension door (caster level 8th), once per round as a free action. The ability affects only the blink dog, which never appears within a solid object and can act immediately after teleporting.

Evasion (Ex): If a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Flurry of Blows (Ex): +3/+3 as Monk.

Incorporeal Jaunt (Su): As MM V, p. 131.

Incorporeal Movement (Su): As MM V, p. 131.

Phantom Defense (Ex): As MM V, p. 131.

Phantom Strike (Ex): As MM V, p. 131.

Purity of Body (Ex): Wynken gains immunity to all diseases except for supernatural and magical diseases.

Slow Fall (Ex): If Wynken is within arm’s reach of a wall he can use it to slow his descent. When first using this ability, he takes damage as if the fall were 30 feet shorter than it actually is.

Spell Absorption (Su): As MM III, p. 163

Still Mind (Ex): Wynken gains a +2 bonus on saving throws against spells and effects from the school of enchantment.

Nightfore t'Wrookfiev

Imix-Blooded, Xorvintaal Exarch, Thoon Thrall Bugbear Knight 4

Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Fire)
Hit Dice: 5d8+15 + 4d12+12 (75 hp)
Armor Class: 24 (+6 mstwrk breastplate, +2 heavy steel shield, +2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 22
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+13
Attack: Morningstar +14 melee (1d8+5) or javelin +9 ranged (1d6+5)
Full Attack: Morningstar +14/+9 melee (1d8+5) or javelin +9 ranged (1d6+5)
Special Attacks: Bulwark of defense, burn, death throes, dragon's favor, imix's wrath, immolate, knight's challenge, shield block
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., divine endurance, dormancy, immunity to fire, overdrive healing, scent, thrall to thoon infiltrator, vulnerability to cold
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +7
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 5
Skills: Climb +5, Hide +4, Listen +8, Move Silently +5, Ride +7, Spot +8
Feats: Alertness, Great Fortitude, Mounted Combat(B), Power Attack, Weapon Focus (morningstar)
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Advancement: By character class

This creature towers over most other bugbears, his bright orange hair literally flickering with flame that seems to do it no harm. Strange patterns rise up like glowing scars all about its body where the skin can be seen through the fur.

Nightfore speaks Goblin and Common and can communicate telepathically with the xorvintaal dragon that turned it into an exarch.

COMBAT

Bulwark of Defense (Ex): As PHB II, p. 28.

Burn (Ex): As Monster Manual V, p. 65.

Death Throes (Su): As Monster Manual V, p. 65. DC 11 reflex save halves.

Divine Endurance: As Monster Manual V, p. 65.

Dormancy (Ex): As Monster Manual V, p. 113.

Dragon's Favor (Su): As Monster Manual V, p. 47.

Energy Immunity: -

Frightful Presence: DC 11 will save negates.

Draconic Reverie: -

Dragon Wing: -

Lair's Recall: -

Lair's Rebirth: -

Imix's Wrath (Su): As Monster Manual V, p. 65.

Immolate (Su): As Monster Manual V, p. 112. DC 16 reflex save halves.

Knight's Challenge: As PHB II, p. 25.

Fighting Challenge (Ex): -

Test of Mettle (Ex): -

Overdrive Healing (Su): As Monster Manual V, p. 112.

Shield Block (Ex): +1, as PHB II, p. 27.

Thrall to Thoon Infiltrator: As Monster Manual V, p. 112.

Skills: Bugbears have a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.

Flurry

Advanced Half-Dragon Winter Wolf

Huge Dragon (cold)
Hit Dice: 15d12+90 (187 hp)
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares), fly 100 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 20 (–2 size, +12 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 20
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+35
Attack: Bite +25 melee (2d6+12 plus 1d6 cold)
Full Attack: Bite +25 melee (2d6+12 plus 1d6 cold) and 2 claws +20 melee (1d8+6)
Special Attacks: Breath weapon, freezing bite, trip
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to cold and sonic, low-light vision, scent, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +8
Abilities: Str 34, Dex 11, Con 22, Int 11, Wis 13, Cha 12
Skills: *Hide +12, Intimidate +19, Listen +20, Move Silently +19, Search +10, Spot +20, *Survival +9
Feats: Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Power Dive (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Power_Dive,Dr), Tempest Breath (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Tempest_Breath,Dr), Track
Environment: Cold forests
Challenge Rating: 11
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

A great howling sounds even above the deadly noise of the storm. A creature comes barreling out from it with the shape of an enormous wolf. Tufts of white fur sprout in wild patches from amongsts its dim grey scales. Bat-like wings sprout from its back, covered with a soft white down of fur. Its legs, though lupine, end in grasping toes complete with transparent talons alike to razor-sharp ice. Extending behind it is an long, reptilian tail with a great tuft of fur at its tip. Its bright blue eyes are slitted like a reptile and seem totally crazed.

Flurry is a half dragon born from a meeting with a queen amongst winter wolves below and a howling dragon from the great winds above. Their mating was a symbolic gesture to the chill god Iborighu. The pup was born within the midst of a horrible blizzard and as soon as it was weaned left its mother to follow the Howl of the North.

Flurry speaks Common, Draconic and Giant.

Combat

Breath Weapon (Su): 15-foot cone, once every 1d4 rounds, damage 4d6 cold, Reflex DC 23 half. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Breath Weapon #2 (Su): 60-foot cone, once per day, damage 6d8 sonic, Fortitude DC 23 half. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Freezing Bite (Su): Flurry deals an extra 1d6 points of cold damage every time it bites an opponent, as if its bite were a frost weapon.

Trip (Ex): If Flurry hits with a bite attack he can attempt to trip the opponent (+12 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip Flurry.

Skills: Flurry has a +1 racial bonus on Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks. He have a +2 racial bonus on Hide checks. *His natural coloration grants them a +7 racial bonus on Hide checks in areas of snow and ice. Flurry has a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

Dolly

Half-Succubus Doppleganger Sorcerer 12

Medium Outsider (Shapechanger)
Hit Dice: 4d8+4 + 12d4+12 (80 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), fly 30 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 17 (+1 Dex, +6 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +10/+12
Attack: Claw +12 melee (1d6+2)
Full Attack: 2 claws +12 melee (1d6+2)
Special Attacks: Detect thoughts, smite good, spells
Special Qualities: Change shape, damage reduction 5/good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to poison, immunity to sleep and charm effects, resistance to acid, cold, electricity, and fire 10, spell resistance 14
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +10, Will +11
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 17, Wis 14, Cha 24 (+7)
Skills: Bluff +33, Concentration +23, Diplomacy +22, Disguise +16 (+18 acting), Escape Artist +11, Intimidate +23, Knowledge (Arcana) +25, Listen +9, Move Silently +9, Sense Motive +11, Spellcraft +20, Spot +9
Feats: Dodge, Extend Spell, Force Of Personality (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Force_Of_Personality,CAd), Great Fortitude, Improved Toughness (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Improved_Toughness,CW), Practiced Spellcaster (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Practiced_Spellcaster,CD), Reach Spell (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Reach_Spell,CD)
Challenge Rating: 12
Treasure: Double standard
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +8

In her natural form, Dolly has the face and form of great beauty, slender but seemingly frail. She is extremely long of limb, which only adds to her attractiveness. The flesh is creamily pale and hairless. Her head is heartshaped, with features of heartbreaking loveliness, her platinum hair falling in thick curls down her back. She has very large, intense yellow eyes with slitted pupils that radiate confidence and a strangely fierce hunger. From her back sprout great wings like that of an albino bat, lined with strokable down.

Dolly speaks Abyssal and Common.

Combat
Dolly's weapons are considered evil-aligned for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.

Detect Thoughts (Su): Dolly can continuously use detect thoughts as the spell (caster level 18th; Will DC 19 negates). She can suppress or resume this ability as a free action. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Change Shape (Su): Dolly can assume the shape of any Small or Medium humanoid. In humanoid form, she loses her natural attacks. Dolly can remain in her humanoid form until she chooses to assume a new one. A change in form cannot be dispelled, but she reverts to her natural form when killed. A true seeing spell or ability reveals her natural form.

Smite Good (Su): Once per day Dolly can make a normal melee attack to deal 4 extra damage against a good foe.

Sorcerer Spells: Caster level 16th. (Spells per day: (6/8/8/8/7/7/6/4); Save DC 17 + spell level):

Typical Spells Known:
0 - Arcane Mark, Detect Magic, Mage Hand, Message, Prestidigitation, Tough of Fatigue
1st - Cause Fear, Color Spray, Hypnotism, Ray of Enfeeblement, Silent Image, Summon Monster I, True Strike, Unseen Servant
2nd - Blindness/Deafness, Blur, Darkness, Eagle's Splendor, Invisibility, See Invisibility, Summon Swarm, Tough of Idiocy
3rd - Displacement, Fireball, Gaseous Form, Magic Circle Against Good, Major Image, Nondetection, Summon Monster III, Vampiric Touch
4th - Bestow Curse, Charm Monster, Crushing Despair, Detect Scrying, Greater Invisibility, Phantasmal Killer, Scrying
5th - Contact Other Plane, Dismissal, Dominate Person, Feeblemind, Magic Jar, Persistent Image, Summon Monster V
6th - Circle of Death, Contingency, Geas/Quest, Mass Suggestion, Planar Binding, Probe Thoughts
7th - Ethereal Jaunt, Greater Teleport, Limited Wish, Plane Shift

Spell-like Abilities: 1/day - Charm Monster (DC 18). 3/day - Detect Good, Suggestion (DC 20). Caster level 4th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.

Skills: Dolly has a +4 racial bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks.

*When using her change shape ability, Dolly gets an additional +10 circumstance bonus on Disguise checks. If she can read an opponent’s mind, she gets a further +4 circumstance bonus on Bluff and Disguise checks.

And the very best...

Li

Elite Half-Fey Woodling Spellwarped Celestial Living Blinding Beauty, Geas/Quest, Rain of Roses Spell

Huge Abberation (extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 13d6+52 (110 hp)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 40 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 28 (+7 deflection, +4 dex, +9 natural, -2 size), touch 19, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+22
Attack: Slam +12 melee (2d6+7)
Full Attack: Slam +12 melee (2d6+7)
Special Attacks: Blinding beauty, engulf, geas/quest, rain of roses, smite evil, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/magic, darkvision 60 ft., immune to enchantment, low-light vision, ooze traits, plant traits, resistance to acid, cold, and electricity 10, spell absorption, spell resistance 24, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +15, Will +14
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 18, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 23
Skills: Diplomacy +24, Bluff +22, Heal +19, *Hide +0, Intimidate +10, Listen +14, *Move Silently +20, Perform (Dance) +22, Spot +7
Feats: Ability Focus (blinding beauty), Flyby Attack, Hover, Improved Toughness (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Improved_Toughness,CW), Nimbus of Light (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Nimbus_of_Light,BE)
Challenge Rating: 20
Alignment: Chaotic good

This appears an enormous, amorphous luna moth crafted of the most brilliant green-tinged amber. Trickling whites and golds glow within it, melding and flowing continuously like lazy sunlight through a leafy canopy...

Combat

Blinding Beauty (Sp): A creature hit by Li's slam attack or engulfed by it must succeed on a DC 23 fortitude save or be blinded permanently as though by a blindness spell.

Engulf (Ex): Li can flow around a Huge or smaller creature as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The living spell merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against the living spell, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw against the engulf attack. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed at a DC 26 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success they are pushed back or aside (opponent's choice) as the spell moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the full normal effect of the Blinding Beauty, Geas/Quest, and Rain of Roses spell each round on the living spell's turn, and are considered to be grappled.

Geas/Quest (Sp): A creature hit by Li's slam attack or engulfed by it have placed a magical command to carry out some service or to refrain from some action or course of activity, as desired by Li. While the geas cannot compel a creature to kill itself or perform acts that would result in certain death, it can cause almost any other course of activity.

The geased creature must follow the given instructions until the geas is completed, no matter how long it takes.

If the instructions involve some open-ended task that the recipient cannot complete through his own actions the spell remains in effect for a maximum of thirteen days. A clever recipient can subvert some instructions:

If the subject is prevented from obeying the lesser geas for 24 hours, it takes 3d6 points of damage each day it does not attempt to follow the geas/quest. Additionally, each day it must make a DC 23 Fortitude saving throw or become sickened. These effects end 24 hours after the creature attempts to resume the geas/quest.

A remove curse spell ends a geas/quest spell only if its caster level is at least two higher than Li's caster level. Break enchantment does not end a geas/quest, but limited wish, miracle, and wish do.

Rain of Roses (Sp): An evil creature hit by Li's slam attack or engulfed by it takes 1d4 points of temporary Wisdom damage. A creature reduced to 0 Wisdom falls unconscious as its mind succumbs to horrible nightmares. They must also succeed on a DC 24 fortitude save or be rendered Sickened for 1 round or until they escape engulfment. A successful fortitude save renders a creature immune to the sickening effect but not the ability damage.

Smite Evil (Su): Once per day Li can make a normal melee attack to deal 13 extra damage against an evil foe.

Spell Absorption (Su): As MM III, p. 163.

Spell-like Abilities: Caster level 13th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
At Will - Charm Person
3/day - Detect Law, Mass Invisibility, Protection From Law, Speak With Plants
1/day - Command Plants, Confusion or Emotion, Dominate Person or Hold Monster, Entangle, Eyebite or Lesser Geas, Faerie Fire or Glitterdust, Hypnotism, Sleep or Enthrall, Summon Nature's Ally II, Summon Nature's Ally IV, Summon Nature's Ally VI, Tasha's Hideous Laughter or Suggestion.

Vulnerability to Fire: Li takes half-again as much (50%) damage as normal from fire effects, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or a failure.

Skills: * Li has a +4 bonus on hide checks and move silently checks in above ground natural enviroments.

Rappy
2010-09-06, 04:04 PM
Well, since all the cool kids are doing it...

Cactamel
Huge Plant
Hit Dice: 6d8+30 (57)
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 18, touch 11, flat-footed 15 (-2 size, +3 Dex , +7 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+20
Attack: Bite +10 (1d4)
Full Attack: Bite +10 (1d4)
Special Attacks: Thorns 2d6+10
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +8, Will +5
Abilities: Str 30, Dex 16, Con 20, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 4
Skills: Listen +6, Spot +7
Feats: Alertness, Endurance
Environment: Warm deserts
Organization: Herd (6–30)
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 5-8 (Huge); 9-12 (Gargantuan)

This strange plant-creature resembles a mess of thorns in the vague approximation of a giant camel.

Strange beasts of the desert, cactamels are a strange hybrid of animal and plant, the ultimate endurance creature of the desert. Wandering nomads and barbarians alike often hunt cactamel herds for the succulent, water-storing "flesh" beneath their thick, thorn-riddled hide.

Combat
A cactamel will attempt to run from an attacker at any opportunity. If pressed, though, it will lash out with its bite or go into a defensive position, allowing the attacker to impale itself upon the cactamel's spiny hide.

Thorns (Ex): Any creature attacking a cactamel unarmed with a handheld weapon or with natural attacks takes damage from its sharp thorns. A creature that grapples with a cactamel take the damage listed above each round.

And it is a....
Thorny (Tome of Horrors III) Dire (Tome of Horrors) Camel

Eldan
2010-09-06, 06:07 PM
Ooh. Looks fun. So, just to see if it can be done...

Spawn of the Primeval Night
Colossal Aberration (Reptilian, Extraplanar, Cold, Augmented Magical beast)
Hit Dice: 48d6+816 (977)
Initiative: +12
Speed: Fly 190 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 45(-8 size, +8 dex, +32 natural, +3 deflection) Touch 13, Flat-footed 37
Base Attack/Grapple: +48/+89
Attack: Bite +61 (6d8+31/18-20/x3 plus disease and bleeding)
Full Attack: Bite +61 melee (6d8+31/18-20/×3 plus disease and bleeding) and 2 horns +56 melee (1d10+12) and 2 claws +56 melee (1d12+12) and tail slap +56 melee (3d8+12)
Space/Reach: 30ft./20ft.
Special Attacks: Disease, Frightful presence, Maddening Whispers, Improved grab, Ravenous Bite, Swallow whole
Special Qualities: Carapace, Corner of the Eye, damage reduction 15/epic, Darkvision 60, ft., Evasion, Immunity to fire, poison, disease, energy drain, and ability damage, regeneration 40, scent, Shadow Blend, Spell Absorption, Hide in Plain Sight, spell resistance 59, Superior Low-light vision, Umbral Power, Wind Walk
Saves: Fort +44, Ref +36, Will +36
Abilities: STR 53, DEX 26, CON 43, INT 7, WIS 16, CHA 16
Skills: Hide +33, Move Silently +31, Spot +16, Survival +22 (+2 following tracks)
Feats: Awesome Blow, Blind-fight, Combat Reflexes, Darkstalker, Expeditious Dodge, Fly-by Attack, Improved Bull-rush, Improved Fly-by Attack, Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Improved Natural Attack (Bite) Improved Toughness, Mobility, Power Attack, Steadfast Determination, Track
Environment: Plane of Shadow
Challenge Rating: 26, technically
Advancement: 49 HD+ (Colossal)

Disease (su) A creature hit by the Nightspawn's bite must make a fort save DC 50 (constitution based) or become infected with Night's Hunger. The incubation period is 1d3 days and the disease deals 1d3 points of wisdom damage. Additionally, each day that a victim takes wisdom damage, it has to succeed on a will save DC 37 (cha based) or become overwhelmed with an insatiable hunger for the flesh of it's race. The victim stalks and tries to kill the closest member of it's own race; if it does so, it feeds on the victim's body and then returns home with no memory of the event. If the victim of this hunger is reduced to a wisdom score of 0, he transforms into a Wendigo (Fiend Folio, p. 186) immediately and races off into the night sky at such speed that his feet burn away into bloody, charred stumps.

Frightful Presence: (su): The Nghtspawn can inspire terror by charging or attacking. Affected creatures must succeed on a DC 37 Will save or become shaken, remaining in that condition as long as they remain with 60 feet of the Nightspawn. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Maddening Whispers: A Nightspawn may use it's Maddening Whispers on any one target within 120 ft. once per day. The Nightspawn may use this ability while Windwalking. Only the chosen victim can hear the insane whispers and invitations of the primeval night. The victim must succeed on a will save DC 37 or take 1d3 points of wisdom damage.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, the Nightspawn must hit a Huge or smaller opponent with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.

Ravenous Bite: The Nightspawn threatens a critical hit on a natural roll of 18-20 with it's bite and deals tripple damage on a successful critical hit. A wound resulting from a critical hit bleeds for an additional 3 points of damage per round thereafter. Multiple such wounds result in a cumulative bleeding loss. The bleeding can be stopped only by a successful heal check (DC 10) or the application of any cure or heal spell.

Swallow Whole (Ex) The Nightspawn can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of Huge or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 2d8+8 points of crushing damage plus 2d8+6 points of acid damage per round from the Nightspawn ’s digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out by dealing 50 points of damage to the Nightspawn’s digestive tract (AC 25). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out. The Nightspawn’s gullet can hold 2 Huge, 8 Large, 32 Medium, 128 Small, or 512 Tiny or smaller creatures.

Carapace (Ex):
The Nightspawn’s armorlike carapace is exceptionally tough and highly reflective, deflecting all rays, lines, cones, and even magic missile spells. There is a 30% chance of reflecting any such effect back at the caster; otherwise, it is merely negated. Check for reflection before rolling to overcome the creature’s spell resistance.

Corner of the Eye (Su): A Nightspawn stalking a creature while windwalking always seems to lurk just at the corner of its chosen victim's fieldd of vision. The victim takes a -2 penalty to all wisdom based skill checks while the Nghtspawn stalks him.

Regeneration (Ex: No form of attack deals lethal damage to the Nightspawn. The Nightspawn regenerates even if it fails a saving throw against a disintegrate spell or a death effect. If the Nightspawn fails its save against a spell or effect that would kill it instantly (such as those mentioned above), the spell or effect instead deals nonlethal damage equal to the creature’s full normal hit points +10. The Nightspawn is immune to effects that produce incurable or bleeding wounds, such as mummy rot, a sword with the wounding special ability, or a clay golem’s cursed wound ability.

The Nightspawn can be slain only by raising its nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points +10 (or 868 hit points) and using a wish or miracle spell to keep it dead.

If the Nightspawn loses a limb or body part, the lost portion regrows in 1d6 minutes (the detached piece dies and decays normally). The creature can reattach the severed member instantly by holding it to the stump.

Spell Absorption: (Su): Whenever a spell fails to penetrate the Nightspawn's spell resistance, it gains one of the following benefits, chosen at the time that the spell resolves: +4 enhancment bonus to strength, dexterity or constitution for one minute, temporary hit points equal to five times the level of the failed spell, resistance 10 to any energy type (acid, cold, electricity, fire or sonic).

Umbral Power (Su): A Nightspawn has a +2 luck bonus to all saving throws. Furthermore, it can cast mirror image once per day as a supernatural ability and planeshift itself to or from the plane of shadow once per day, also as a supernatural ability.

Windwalk A Nightspawn can wind walk at will, transforming from physical form to incorporeal form at will as a move action.

Probably not difficult to guess, but it's a:

Dark Shadow Wendigo Spellwarped Chameleon Tarrasque.
I also changed it's feats and skill points.

Flickerdart
2010-09-06, 07:10 PM
Sky Terror

Size/Type: Huge Dragon (Aquatic, Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 20d10+140 (250 hp)
Speed: Swim 60 ft., Fly 120 ft. (good)
Armor Class: 27 (-2 size, +3 Dex, +16 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +15/+33
Attack: Claw +25 melee (2d6+15 +5d6 acid)
Full Attack: 2 claws +25 melee (2d6+15+5d6 acid), bite +25 melee (2d8+10+5d6 acid) and claw +20 melee (2d6+15+5d6 acid)
Special Attacks: Improved grab, swallow whole, smite good, breath weapon
Special Qualities: Keen scent, darkvision (60ft), low-light vision, DR 10/magic, resistance to cold and fire 10, immunity to acid, immunity to electricity, SR 25, immunity to sleep and paralysis
Saves: Fort +18, Ref +14, Will +13
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 16, Con 23, Int 5, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: Listen +24, Spot +24, Swim +33
Feats: Improved Natural Attack (bite)B, Improved Natural Attack (claw)B, Rapidstrike, Dragon Breath, Maximize Breath, Multiattack, Improved Multiattack, Improved Flight, Improved Toughness
Environment: Any aquatic
Organization: Solitary or school (2-5)
Challenge Rating: 15
Advancement: 21-32 (Huge); 33-54 (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: —

This monster resembles a dragon without hind legs or tail, with an enormous maw full of equal amounts teeth, acid and your doom.

Combat

A sky terror will attempt to swallow whole an opponent as fast as it can, grab another and then retreat into water, drowning its foes if they manage to escape its teeth or gullet. While on the run, uses its breath weapon to keep pursuers at bay. If its opponents can breathe underwater, the sky terror will try to drop them from a great height instead.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a sky terror must hit with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe in the following round.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A sky terror can try to swallow a grabbed opponent of up to one size smaller by making a successful grapple check. Once inside, the opponent takes 2d6+6 points of bludgeoning damage plus 1d8+4 points of acid damage per round from the terror’s digestive juices. A swallowed creature can cut its way out using a light slashing or piercing weapon by dealing 25 points of damage to the terror's digestive tract (AC 13). Once the creature exits, muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must cut its own way out.

A Huge sky terror's gullet can hold 2 Large, 8 Medium or Small, 32 Tiny, 128 Diminutive, or 512 Fine or smaller opponents.

Keen Scent (Ex): A sky terror can notice creatures by scent in a 180-foot radius and can detect blood in the water at a range of up to 1 mile.

Breath Weapon (Su): 120ft line every 1d4 rounds, 6d8 electricity damage (Reflex DC 23 half). The save is Constitution-based.

Smite Good (Su): Once per day the sky terror can make a normal melee attack to deal 20 extra damage against a good foe.

Skills: A sky terror has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.

The sky terror is an...
Advanced (+2 HD) Horrid Fiendish Half-Dragon Dire Shark

Fax Celestis
2010-09-06, 07:17 PM
And the very best...

Li

Elite Half-Fey Woodling Spellwarped Celestial Living Blinding Beauty, Geas/Quest, Rain of Roses Spell

Huge Abberation (extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 13d6+52 (110 hp)
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 40 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 28 (+7 deflection, +4 dex, +9 natural, -2 size), touch 19, flat-footed 24
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+22
Attack: Slam +12 melee (2d6+7)
Full Attack: Slam +12 melee (2d6+7)
Special Attacks: Blinding beauty, engulf, geas/quest, rain of roses, smite evil, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/magic, darkvision 60 ft., immune to enchantment, low-light vision, ooze traits, plant traits, resistance to acid, cold, and electricity 10, spell absorption, spell resistance 24, vulnerability to fire
Saves: Fort +15, Ref +15, Will +14
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 18, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 23
Skills: Diplomacy +24, Bluff +22, Heal +19, *Hide +0, Intimidate +10, Listen +14, *Move Silently +20, Perform (Dance) +22, Spot +7
Feats: Ability Focus (blinding beauty), Flyby Attack, Hover, Improved Toughness (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Improved_Toughness,CW), Nimbus of Light (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Nimbus_of_Light,BE)
Challenge Rating: 20
Alignment: Chaotic good

This appears an enormous, amorphous luna moth crafted of the most brilliant green-tinged amber. Trickling whites and golds glow within it, melding and flowing continuously like lazy sunlight through a leafy canopy...

Combat

Blinding Beauty (Sp): A creature hit by Li's slam attack or engulfed by it must succeed on a DC 23 fortitude save or be blinded permanently as though by a blindness spell.

Engulf (Ex): Li can flow around a Huge or smaller creature as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The living spell merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against the living spell, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw against the engulf attack. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed at a DC 26 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success they are pushed back or aside (opponent's choice) as the spell moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the full normal effect of the Blinding Beauty, Geas/Quest, and Rain of Roses spell each round on the living spell's turn, and are considered to be grappled.

Geas/Quest (Sp): A creature hit by Li's slam attack or engulfed by it have placed a magical command to carry out some service or to refrain from some action or course of activity, as desired by Li. While the geas cannot compel a creature to kill itself or perform acts that would result in certain death, it can cause almost any other course of activity.

The geased creature must follow the given instructions until the geas is completed, no matter how long it takes.

If the instructions involve some open-ended task that the recipient cannot complete through his own actions the spell remains in effect for a maximum of thirteen days. A clever recipient can subvert some instructions:

If the subject is prevented from obeying the lesser geas for 24 hours, it takes 3d6 points of damage each day it does not attempt to follow the geas/quest. Additionally, each day it must make a DC 23 Fortitude saving throw or become sickened. These effects end 24 hours after the creature attempts to resume the geas/quest.

A remove curse spell ends a geas/quest spell only if its caster level is at least two higher than Li's caster level. Break enchantment does not end a geas/quest, but limited wish, miracle, and wish do.

Rain of Roses (Sp): An evil creature hit by Li's slam attack or engulfed by it takes 1d4 points of temporary Wisdom damage. A creature reduced to 0 Wisdom falls unconscious as its mind succumbs to horrible nightmares. They must also succeed on a DC 24 fortitude save or be rendered Sickened for 1 round or until they escape engulfment. A successful fortitude save renders a creature immune to the sickening effect but not the ability damage.

Smite Evil (Su): Once per day Li can make a normal melee attack to deal 13 extra damage against an evil foe.

Spell Absorption (Su): As MM III, p. 163.

Spell-like Abilities: Caster level 13th. Save DC's are Charisma-based.
At Will - Charm Person
3/day - Detect Law, Mass Invisibility, Protection From Law, Speak With Plants
1/day - Command Plants, Confusion or Emotion, Dominate Person or Hold Monster, Entangle, Eyebite or Lesser Geas, Faerie Fire or Glitterdust, Hypnotism, Sleep or Enthrall, Summon Nature's Ally II, Summon Nature's Ally IV, Summon Nature's Ally VI, Tasha's Hideous Laughter or Suggestion.

Vulnerability to Fire: Li takes half-again as much (50%) damage as normal from fire effects, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or a failure.

Skills: * Li has a +4 bonus on hide checks and move silently checks in above ground natural enviroments.

Aww, you're too kind, VT. :P

Zore
2010-09-06, 09:41 PM
Remus
B][Size/Type:[/B] Small Animal (extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 4d8+80 (112 hp)
Initiative: +14
Speed: 150 ft., climb 90 ft.
Armor Class:43 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +5 natural, +12 insight, +12 luck), touch 38, flat-footed 40
Base Attack: +3
Attack:Bite +39 melee (1d4+27 plus disease)
Full Attack:Unarmed Strike +39 melee (1d2+27) Bite +34 melee (1d4+27 plus disease)
Special Attacks: Disease, Spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, Fire and cold resistance 10, Damage Reduction 10/epic, Spell Resistance 40, Fast Healing 20, Darkvision 60, Hide in plain Sight
Saves: Fort +22, Ref +25, Will +19
Abilities:Str 25, Dex 33, Con 27, Int 16, Wis 27, Cha 19
Skills: Climb +34, Swim +26, Tumble +22, Spot +24, Listen +24, Jump +18, Hide +41, Move Silently +35
Feats:Alertness, Weapon Finesse, Darkstalker, Improved Unarmed Strike
Organization: Unique
Challenge Rating: 15
Advancement: 5-7 HD medium

It appears to be an enormous rat with pitch black fur and a coldly malevolent look in its eye that is when it is seen...

Combat
Remus' natural attacks count as Epic for overcoming damage resistance

In combat Remus will typically attempt to flee by running, climbing or swimming away and then stalking whatever threatened it from the shadows. It will usually spend a round or two using its Spell-Like abilities to buff itself before leaping from the shadows to attack its unwary assailants.

Disease (Ex)
Filth fever—bite, Fortitude DC 24, incubation period 1d3 days, damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Skills
Remus has a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks. Remus has a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. Remus has a +8 bonus to Hide and a +6 bonus to Move silently. Remus has a +10 competence bonus to all skills.

Remus uses its Dexterity modifier for Climb and Swim checks.

Remus has the ability to use greater dispel magic, haste, and see invisibility three times per day at 15th caster level.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): Use the hide skill even while being observed except in ntural daylight, area of daylight spell or similar

And no prize for guessing
A Dark Paragon HD advanced Dire Rat

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-06, 10:12 PM
Aww, you're too kind, VT. :P
*grins*

I didn't mention also fudgin' insane

Flickerdart
2010-09-10, 01:42 AM
Sanguine Devourer

Size/Type: Large Undead (Augmented Animal)
Hit Dice: 9d12 (58 hp)
Initiative: +10
Armor Class: 25 (+6 Dex, +10 natural, -1 size), touch 15, flat-footed 19)
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+24
Attack: Bite +15 melee (1d8+13)
Full Attack: Bite +15 melee (1d8+13) and slam +15 melee (1d8+4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Attach, blood drain, children of the night, dominate, create spawn, energy drain
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, alternate form, damage reduction 10/good and silver, fast healing 5, gaseous form, resistance to cold and electricity 10, spider climb, +4 turn resistance
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +14, Will +8
Abilities: Str 28, Dex 22, Con --, Int 4, Wis 14, Cha 16
Skills: Bluff +11, Hide +11, Listen +10, Move Silently +15, Search +5, Sense Motive +10, Spot +10
Feats: Multiattack, Improved Multiattack, Weapon FinesseB, Improved Grapple, Track, AlertnessB, DodgeB, Combat ReflexesB, Lightning ReflexesB, Improved InitiativeB
Environment: Temperate hills
Organization: Solitary, troop (1 sanguine devourer plus 2-4 dire weasels) or cell (1-4 sanguine devourers plus 2-8 vampire spawn)
Challenge Rating: 7

Before you stands a massive weasel, nearly bereft of fur. Underneath, its rotting flesh is a pale red, and its eyes glow with an undead pallor.

Combat
The sanguine devourer immediately charges the closest enemy and attempts to pin it, weakening it with its blood drain and energy drain abilities. If the sanguine devourer has any minions, they will be protecting it while it feeds.

Attach (Ex): A sanguine devourer that hits with its bite attack latches onto the opponent’s body with its powerful jaws. An attached sanguine devourer loses its Dexterity bonus to AC and thus has an AC of 20. An attached sanguine devourer can be struck with a weapon or grappled itself. To remove an attached sanguine devourer through grappling, the opponent must achieve a pin against the creature.

Blood Drain (Ex): A sanguine devourer drains blood for 1d4 points of Constitution damage each round it remains attached. If it pins the foe, it deals an additional 1d4 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained. On each such successful attack, the sanguine devourer gains 5 temporary hit points.

Children of the Night (Su): sanguine devourers command the lesser creatures of the world and once per day can call forth 1d6+1 rat swarms, 1d4+1 bat swarms, or a pack of 1d6 dire weasels as a standard action. These creatures arrive in 2d6 rounds and serve the sanguine devourer for up to 1 hour.

Dominate (Su): A sanguine devourer can crush an opponent’s will just by looking onto his or her eyes. This is similar to a gaze attack, except that the sanguine devourer must use a standard action, and those merely looking at it are not affected. Anyone the sanguine devourer targets must succeed on a Will save (DC 17) or fall instantly under the sanguine devourer’s influence as though by a dominate person spell (caster level 12th). The ability has a range of 30 feet.

Create Spawn (Su): A living creature (outsiders do not count as living for this purpose) slain by a sanguine devourer's energy drain rises as a vampire spawn 1d4 days after burial.

If the sanguine devourer instead drains the victim’s Constitution to 0 or lower, the victim returns as a spawn if it had 4 or less HD and as a vampire if it had 5 or more HD. In either case, the new vampire or spawn is under the command of the sanguine devourer that created it and remains enslaved until its master’s destruction. At any given time a sanguine devourer may have enslaved spawn totaling no more than 18 Hit Dice; any spawn it creates that would exceed this limit are created as free-willed vampires or vampire spawn. A vampire that is enslaved may create and enslave spawn of its own, so a master sanguine devourer can control a number of lesser vampires in this fashion. A sanguine devourer may voluntarily free an enslaved spawn in order to enslave a new spawn, but once freed, a vampire or vampire spawn cannot be enslaved again.

Energy Drain (Su): Living creatures hit by a sanguine devourer’s slam attack or bite gain two negative levels. For each negative level bestowed, the sanguine devourer gains 5 temporary hit points. A sanguine devourer can use its energy drain ability once per round.

Alternate Form (Su): A sanguine devourer can assume the shape of a bat, dire bat, weasel or dire weasel as a standard action. While in its alternate form, the sanguine devourer loses its natural slam attack and dominate ability, but it gains the natural weapons and extraordinary special attacks of its new form. It can remain in that form until it assumes another or until the next sunrise.

The sanguine devourer is an...
Advanced (9HD) monstrous vampire dire weasel

Volthawk
2010-09-10, 04:46 PM
K.O.B.O.L.D

Large Construct (giantkin, evil)
HD 40d10+60 (280hp)
Speed 280 ft. (56 squares); fly 520ft (average)
Init: +1
AC 58 (+47 natural, +1 Dex); touch 11; flat-footed 57
BAB +30; Grp +78
Attack Bite +30 (8d6+32)
Full-Attack 2 Bites +30 (8d6+32) and Gore +25 (8d6+16) and 2 Claws +25 (6d6+16)
Space 30 ft.; Reach 30 ft.
Special Attacks Rock Throwing, Trample, Breath Weapon, Metal Limbs, Body Blades, Sprint
Special Qualities Darkvision 120ft, light sensitivity, slight build, fast healing 5, Rock Catching, minotaur cunning, scent, SR 43, immunities, Mirrored Finish, Metal Body, Divination Immunity, DR 10/admantine and 5/good, Fire resistance 20, acid and cold resistance 10, hardness 10
Saves Fort +13 Ref +13 Will +15
Abilities Str 75, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 16, Cha 18
Skills Balance -5, Bluff +8, Climb +26, Craft (trapmaking) +2, Diplomacy +8, Escape Artist -15, Hide -31, Jump +26, Listen +17, Move Silently -15, Profession (miner) +5, Sleight of Hand -15, Spot +17, Survival +3 (+7 to avoid getting lost), Swim +26, Tumble -5
Feats Track B
Environment Any
Organization Solitary, pair, or gang (3–4)
Challenge Rating 35
Treasure None
Alignment Neutral Evil
Advancement -
Level Adjustment -

Description here once I figure out how to explain it.

Combat

Awful Presence (Su): Every nonevil creature within 60 feet of K.O.B.O.L.D automatically takes a –1 penalty on all attack rolls, checks, and saves. Awful presence is a mind-affecting fear effect.

Profane (Su): Each of K.O.B.O.L.D’s melee attacks with a natural or manufactured weapon deals +2d6 points of extra damage to a creature of good alignment. All of its natural and manufactured weapons are treated as evilaligned for overcoming damage reduction.

Metal Limbs (Ex): K.O.B.O.L.D's natural attacks are counted as being admantine, cold iron and silver.

Trample (Ex): K.O.B.O.L.D can trample foes up to Huge size, dealing 8d6+48 Str damage.

Breath Weapon (Su): Once a day, K.O.B.O.L.D can breathe a 60-foot cone of ash, dealing 12d6 damage, half fire and half sonic. A DC 30 Reflex save can halve this.

Body Blades (Ex): Spikes and blades cover K.O.B.O.L.D’s body. When another creature attacks it with handheld or natural weapons, the attacker takes 3d6 points of slashing and piercing damage. Incorporeal creatures and creatures using weapons with exceptional reach, such as longspears, do not take this damage. In addition, K.O.B.O.L.D deals 3d6 points of piercing and slashing damage to a grabbed opponent with each successful grapple check.

Sprint (Ex): Once per hour, K.O.B.O.L.D can move up to 10 times its normal speed when it charges.

Rock Throwing (Ex): K.O.B.O.L.D has a +2 racial bonus on attack rolls made to throw rocks. It can throw rocks weighing 400lbs with 500ft range increments, dealing 8d8+28 damage.

Rock Catching (Ex): Once per round, if K.O.B.O.L.D would normally be hit by a rock of Small, Medium, or Large size, it can make a Reflex save to catch it as a free action. The DC is 15 for a Small rock, 20 for a Medium one, and 25 for a Large one. (If the projectile provides a magical bonus on attack rolls, the DC increases by that amount.) K.O.B.O.L.D must be ready for and aware of the attack in order to make a rock catching attempt.

Light Sensitivity (Ex): K.O.B.O.L.D is dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.

Slight Build (Ex): The physical stature of K.O.B.O.L.D lets it function in many ways as if it was one size category smaller. Whenever K.O.B.O.L.D is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as Hide), it is treated as one size smaller if doing so is advantageous to it. K.O.B.O.L.D is also considered to be one size smaller when "squeezing" through a restrictive space. K.O.B.O.L.D can use weapons designed for a creature one size smaller without penalty. However, the space and reach of K.O.B.O.L.D remain those of a creature of it's actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.

Minotaur Cunning (Ex): K.O.B.O.L.D has a +4 bonus to Intelligence checks to escape Maze spells and can automatically determine which way is north.

Protection from Good (Su): K.O.B.O.L.D has a +2 deflection bonus to AC and a +2 resistance bonus on saves against attacks by good creatures. Furthermore, it is immune to any attempt by a good creature to possess, charm, or influence it.

Metal Body (Ex): Beneath its skin, K.O.B.O.L.D is largely composed of metal. It counts as a ferrous creature for the purposed of rusting grasp and other spells that have special effects on metal.

Unholy Body (Su): K.O.B.O.L.D is healed by negative energy and harmed by positive energy like an undead creature. Thus, inflict light wounds would heal an unholy creature and cure light wounds would harm it.

Immunities: K.O.B.O.L.D is immune to sonic and electricity damage, sleep and paralysis effects.

Divination Immunity (Ex): K.O.B.O.L.D is immune to divination spells and effects cast to derive information about it. Detect magic, detect poison, detect thoughts, and detect alignment spells fail to reveal any information about K.O.B.O.L.D or the objects it carries. Furthermore, K.O.B.O.L.D is invisible and inaudible to scrying, arcane eyes, and clairaudience/clairvoyance. K.O.B.O.L.D and it's equipment cannot be located by discern location, nor can locate object find objects it carries.

Mirrored Finish (Su): K.O.B.O.L.D is immune to gaze attacks. Furthermore, its finish reflects such attacks. Thus, a creature with a gaze attack that actively gazes at the K.O.B.O.L.D must save against its own gaze attack, suffering the consequences of a failed save even if it would normally be immune.

Skills: K.O.B.O.L.D has a +14 racial bonus on Spot and Listen checks, a +6 racial bonus on Search checks, a +4 racial bonus to Bluff and Diplomacy checks, and a +2 racial bonus on Craft (trapmaking), Profession (miner) checks. It also gets a +4 bonus to Survival checks to avoid getting lost. It suffers a -16 penalty to Escape Artist, Hide, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand and Swim checks and a -6 penalty to Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks.

Creation:

Creating K.O.B.O.L.D requires 42,000gp and 1,680 xp. Assembling the body requires a DC 25 Craft (armorsmithing) and a DC 25 Craft (weaponsmithing) check, plus the Craft Construct feat. The creator needs to be at least 40th level and the spells required are geas/quest, limited wish, polymorph any object, and resist elements. If the creator spends an extra 500gp, they can ride in K.O.B.O.L.D without taking damage from it's body blades.

It is a:

Unholy Gigantean Admantine/Iron/Silver/Lead-Clad Jotunblood Half-Ettin Half-Minotaur Half-Pyroclastic Dragon Kobold War Machine, using the web enhancement for RoTD. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060420a) The templates are from Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary, apart from Half-Dragon and Half-Minotaur (without the extra stat boosts from increasing in size).

I may got a little bit carried away...