PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Dread necromancer desecration

Ragnir
2010-08-30, 12:17 PM
My group recently stumbled upon a white dragon, which we had some mighty fun killing. I play a dread necromancer, which is currently level 8, and I want to animate the dragon. The problem is it has too many HD for me to animate it. It has 18 HD and I can max animate creatures with 16 HD at the moment. I noticed that there's another spell which is named desecration, which would help me since it doubles the HD I can animate, with a single spell. sadly it's a evocation spell, and thus I am not able to use it, since it's not part of the dread necromancer's spell list or obtainable through advanced learning.
I've noticed that some people mentions that you can take a feat to obtain spells from cleric domains but some other people also says it's a waste of a level and I'll be able to animate the dragon (If I can get back to it which I'm not sure of) next level anyway.

I'm the only spell caster in my group.
I really need this dragon xD.

Herbstfarben
2010-08-30, 12:24 PM
Cast Gentle Repose and wait till you leveled up.

Kaww
2010-08-30, 12:32 PM
Try death knell. Animate the dragon during the death knell bonus.
Since you are the only caster and likely evil use it on a party member and kill two birds with one stone. You got a dragon and the party got a brand new caster...

OMG PONIES
2010-08-30, 12:35 PM
Well, it's based on your caster level, rather than your character level. If your DM lets you take the Spellgifted trait from Unearthed Arcana, all your necromancy spells get +1 CL. Now, you lose a caster level with all other schools, but you've got a CL of 9 for necromancy spells. Therefore, you'd be able to create 2x that, or 18HD...right on the money.

However, I don't know if your DM would allow this, as traits are usually taken at character creation. You could purchase a scroll of Desecrate, and have the party member with the best UMD check activate it. Of course, you can also purchase spellcasting services if your DM allows it, so just pay someone to cast the spell once so you can animate the bad boy. I accept no responsibility for the subplot your DM drops on you for enlisting an evil cleric to help you raise a dragon from the dead.

@Kaww: good catch--I've never noticed the CL boost in Death Knell. That makes it useful!

Herbstfarben
2010-08-30, 12:46 PM
The target for Death Knell is a living creature. This likely means you have to resurrect the dragon just to kill it a second time.

Naia
2010-08-30, 12:52 PM
The target for Death Knell is a living creature. This likely means you have to resurrect the dragon just to kill it a second time.

Actually it doesn't say anywhere that he has to use Death Knell on the dragon. He can use it on any living creature at -1 hp or lower. Go look up a sacrificial goblin (just as long as the DM uses negative hp with creatures/enemies).

Frog Dragon
2010-08-30, 12:56 PM
Extra Spell feat can land you the Desecrate spell. Complete Arcane.

Kaww
2010-08-30, 01:01 PM

I suggested a PC. They are living, they go below 0. Everything you need for the spell to work...

Keld Denar
2010-08-30, 01:02 PM
TECHNICALLY, Extra Spell, as ruled in the FAQ, won't allow you to cherry pick spells that aren't on your list. Since DN's know all spells on their list, technically Extra Spell wouldn't do ANYTHING for them.

That said, your DM might rule otherwise. It certainly fits the theme.

jpreem
2010-08-30, 01:05 PM
It seems that death knell bonuses are untyped? So you could line up 50 gobbos grab a wand of death knell and soon you could animate that dragon all you want. Hmm i guess death knell is a good reason to always have a bag of small cuddly creatures with you.

Reynard
2010-08-30, 01:08 PM
... I don't know why you started a thread only to make the exact same point here, but what the hey.

Same name bonuses don't stack. All the bonuses come from different castings of the same spell, so they won't.

jpreem
2010-08-30, 01:09 PM
AAh what a shame but therese an upside for this - it seems like lots of kittens will be saved :smallsmile:

fryplink
2010-08-30, 01:13 PM
With interest in Death Knell I want to also point you to the fact that a Donkey or Mule only costs a simple 8gp, well withing the spending limits of even a 1st level character.

Mules and Donkeys will even follow you into the dungeon. Just lead 'em in, thump 'em, and finish them with Death Knell. Huzzah 20 mins of +1 CL (for donkey, 30 mins for Mule).

Kaww
2010-08-30, 01:20 PM
With interest in Death Knell I want to also point you to the fact that a Donkey or Mule only costs a simple 8gp, well withing the spending limits of even a 1st level character.

Mules and Donkeys will even follow you into the dungeon. Just lead 'em in, thump 'em, and finish them with Death Knell. Huzzah 20 mins of +1 CL (for donkey, 30 mins for Mule).

Fryplink you win! Laughed like silly...

Erom
2010-08-30, 01:21 PM
It's even fairly flavorful - you are trying to do something with your necromancy that's just barely beyond your current skill, so you're sacrificing a living creature to get the temporary little boost you need.

Style points if you use a lamb or other traditional sacrificial animal.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-30, 01:22 PM
Style points if you use a lamb or other traditional sacrificial animal.

So badass. If one of my players ever did that, I'd buy him dinner.

Ragnir
2010-08-31, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the answers. :smallsmile:
Had forgot all about death knell. Now I just need something which can bleed.
I'll probably not kill any group members, because I'm badly outnumbered by people who don't trust me. :smallbiggrin:

Duke of URL
2010-08-31, 10:51 AM
Probably not worth burning a feat just to get desecrate. You're better off UMD'ing a wand (or better yet, get an eternal wand for desecrate 2x/day for roughly the same price). You are putting cross-class ranks in UMD, aren't you?