PDA

View Full Version : Finding lvl 3 starting credits In SW Saga

Akisa
2010-08-30, 05:12 PM
I seem to have forgotten where can I find starting credits in the core book. Does anyone know where I can find it?

IdleMuse
2010-08-30, 05:35 PM
Starting credits for lvl1 are listed under each class. There are no official rules for starting credits at higher levels, but i've seen the following formula used..

(Level)*(Level-1)*2000 credits

Which would give lvl3 starting credits as 12000cr

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-31, 07:58 AM
There's no Wealth By Level in SW Saga. This is because, for the most part, wealth isn't as big of a factor compared to D&D.

The only thing that really costs a lot is a ship, but you can get a ship without buying it if you steal one or are given one to use by your employers or salvage one during a mission or are rewarded one for a job well done, etc. Beyond that, the only thing to spend credits on is pimping out your equipment (which isn't even necessary and should probably take longer than a couple levels to do) or maybe buy a droid or something.

FelixG
2010-08-31, 08:01 AM
Killian, you just gave me a brilliant idea for the beginning of a campaign!

They players inherit (or find) an old crashed ship, they do missions for the parts to fix it up and get it space worthy so they can leave the planet, sort of like how quigon(SP) needed to repair the queens ship.

Thanks!

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-31, 08:01 AM
Killian, you just gave me a brilliant idea for the beginning of a campaign!

They players inherit (or find) an old crashed ship, they do missions for the parts to fix it up and get it space worthy so they can leave the planet, sort of like how quigon(SP) needed to repair the queens ship.

Thanks!

Glad to help! :smallbiggrin:

Binks
2010-08-31, 09:09 AM
There's no Wealth By Level in SW Saga. This is because, for the most part, wealth isn't as big of a factor compared to D&D.

Yep. No magic items means that most characters will top out the list of things they want by level 5 or so, tops, and then it's just saving up for starships and various starship upgrades. Credits aren't nearly as important in Saga edition as gp is in d&d (the fact that armor is useless for the majority of characters and one of the most popular classes gets their weapons for free also factors in).

But yeah the (level)*(level-1)*2000 guideline is the standard one used and was posted first by a developer of the game unless I'm mistaken. My last game I did away with starting credits entirely actually and just allowed players to have anything they could justify, you'd be surprised how little they asked for, I don't think any of them got anywhere near the WBL guideline, even with me suggesting more things to buy. That was at level 6 though.

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-31, 09:12 AM
But yeah the (level)*(level-1)*2000 guideline is the standard one used and was posted first by a developer of the game unless I'm mistaken. My last game I did away with starting credits entirely actually and just allowed players to have anything they could justify, you'd be surprised how little they asked for, I don't think any of them got anywhere near the WBL guideline, even with me suggesting more things to buy. That was at level 6 though.

Interesting. I've actually never heard that "standard" before.

Personally, when I had players join in after 1st level, I just told them they could have any weapons/equipment from the core rulebook that wasn't illegal (within reason, so you can't have 50 blaster rifles or something, but a blaster rifle, a blaster carbine, a blaster pistol and a vibro dagger would be fine).

Binks
2010-08-31, 09:54 AM
Interesting. I've actually never heard that "standard" before.

Personally, when I had players join in after 1st level, I just told them they could have any weapons/equipment from the core rulebook that wasn't illegal (within reason, so you can't have 50 blaster rifles or something, but a blaster rifle, a blaster carbine, a blaster pistol and a vibro dagger would be fine).

Here's (http://community.wizards.com/robshanti/blog/2009/12/29/starting_credits_above_1st_level?pref_tab=profile) a good re-post of the response, it first appeared in an FAQ as a developer response. But yeah, it's not super important. I've done it both ways in games I've run, the current one I'm running I allowed my players anything from any book that they could justify to me given their backstory...I think the most any of them spent was like 6300cr...and at level 6 their WBL would have been 60,000cr...

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-31, 07:34 PM
and at level 6 their WBL would have been 60,000cr...

That is WAY too many credits! :smalleek:

Jack Zander
2010-08-31, 09:53 PM
That is WAY too many credits! :smalleek:

Well when you consider that a noble who takes wealth at first level has 105,000 credits at 6th level from that talent alone, 60,000 seems pretty reasonable. I mean really, what are the players gonna buy with that? No seriously, ask yourself that question. There is literally nothing for them to buy that would boost their power.

Jothki
2010-08-31, 10:02 PM
Well when you consider that a noble who takes wealth at first level has 105,000 credits at 6th level from that talent alone, 60,000 seems pretty reasonable. I mean really, what are the players gonna buy with that? No seriously, ask yourself that question. There is literally nothing for them to buy that would boost their power.

Informants? Bounty hunters?

Philistine
2010-08-31, 10:06 PM
Starfighters? Squadrons of starfighters? :smallbiggrin:

DrGonzo
2010-09-01, 03:43 AM
Starfighters? Squadrons of starfighters? :smallbiggrin:

Too expensive..

We started a new campaign last week at lvl 3, and could choose whatever equipment we wanted, reasonably speaking (no ships, or droid armies)

I spent the most of our three players, and it was just 10.850 credits. (Computer, upgraded rifle, and some general supplies) You really don't need 60.000 credits at 6. If you need more, for example if you need a ship, buy a gun and steal a ship.

FelixG
2010-09-01, 04:13 AM
Too expensive..

We started a new campaign last week at lvl 3, and could choose whatever equipment we wanted, reasonably speaking (no ships, or droid armies)

I spent the most of our three players, and it was just 10.850 credits. (Computer, upgraded rifle, and some general supplies) You really don't need 60.000 credits at 6. If you need more, for example if you need a ship, buy a gun and steal a ship.

Droid armies are the foundation of most good characters though :( :P

IdleMuse
2010-09-01, 09:05 AM
Yeah, although that metric tends to get silly at higher levels, it does have to be balanced with the assumption that by that level, players will be looking to buy ships, and droids.

Above about lvl 15 or 16, the power level of characters is silly enough that having silly amounts of cash is kinda fitting anyway.