PDA

View Full Version : Knight of the Raven class... thoughts?

IdleMuse
2010-08-30, 05:41 PM
Recently ran across this in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. I've seen it before, and seen it used, mostly in battle cleric builds, but never really had a good read of it. Now I have, I can see how it's quite useful. 2-10 divine progression, full BAB, only -2 turn undead, and lots of other class abilities. I also love the Raven companion, and the Light Focus ability is very interesting; if only there was an inverse of the Umbral Spell metamagic :smallamused:

So yeah, what thoughts do you have on this flavourful class? Is there a way to really optimise Light Focus? What's the best entry? I was thinking, Crusader 1/Cleric 4 getting you in by level 5?

AslanCross
2010-08-30, 05:47 PM
Knight of the Raven is said to be one of the strongest martial PrCs (though of course it doesn't compare to Ruby Knight Vindicator). Its raven adds some useful abilities, and it doesn't suffer from gimped caster progression.

Akal Saris
2010-08-30, 08:10 PM
You could also enter with Cleric 4/Church Inquisitor 2, which wouldn't lose any casting and would grant Detect Evil at will, the Inquisition domain, and immunity to charms (especially useful against vampires!).

Since the KotR is charisma-driven, the Charismatic Priest feat from the Dragonlance Age of Mortals sourcebook would also let a cleric be dependent on just Charisma for most of her casting and abilities.

Druid would also be a decent entry, actually.

Thurbane
2010-08-30, 09:51 PM
I've just had a PC in my group take hist 1st level of this class (last night, as it happens)!.

I really like the flavor of the class, although it's class features are a little...meh. The Raven Harrier really doesn't start being particularly useful until higher levels. The bonus feats against undead are also a little...meh. Smite Undead is basically a more creature specific Smite Evil.

On the plus side, full BAB, two good saves, 9/10 casting and a bonus domain aren't too shabby at all. And the Raven Harrier has a small advantage over Familiars or Animal Companions, in that if it is killed, it reappears next dawn, without requiring a ritual or personal cost.

...and I love the flavor of the class itself.

IdleMuse
2010-08-31, 07:25 AM
I must admit, I do also love the raven flavour. I have just, however noted a worrying problem with a build I'm working on with it in; Starting with Cloistered Cleric and layering other PrCs on top until I get the +4 BAB unfortunately means I can't wear heavy armour or use decent weapons :P not much of a Knight really.

ErrantX
2010-08-31, 09:27 AM
Dip one level into Dragonslayer (Draconomicon) for weapons and armor, +1 caster level, +1 BAB, +2 Fort/Will, Aura of Courage, and +1 damage against dragons. Just needs Dodge (or equivalent), Iron Will (Otyugh Pit), +5 BAB, and 2 ranks of Tumble. Not difficult at all, though it may delay entry another level or two.

-X

Vizzerdrix
2010-08-31, 10:10 AM
SO use a morning star one size larger than normal and put a few points in Dex.