PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What would you gestalt with Shadowcaster?

Edge of Dreams
2010-08-30, 08:44 PM
I've always loved the flavor of Shadowcaster, and they're a decent, mid-tier class. With the commonly used fix from the author, they're essentially a int-based caster with medium-BAB and a couple of other minor class features.

What might make a good BASE class to combo with it for gestalt? I'm leaning toward something with full-BAB, but not any of the half-casters (Ranger, Paladin, etc.). Or what about Factotum? I'm not really worrying about PrC's right now.

So what would YOU gestalt Shadowcaster with?

Glyphic
2010-08-30, 08:45 PM
I'd really like to gestalt a shadow caster with a Hexblade- using the author's fixes to both, of course. ;)

Glimbur
2010-08-30, 08:49 PM
Warblade is a solid choice.

Lord Vampyre
2010-08-30, 08:51 PM
I like the non-caster variant in Unearthed Arcana for the Ranger. Then I would probably find another variant ability that switched out the animal companion. I'm not big on the Tome of Battle classes, but I'm sure one of those would work quite well.

Vortling
2010-08-30, 09:05 PM
Personally I'd gestalt it with a Shadow Hand focused swordsage. More shadow than you can shake a stick at.

noiadodh
2010-08-30, 09:06 PM
where is the hexblade author fix?

Glyphic
2010-08-30, 09:12 PM
Right here.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19520634/Petition_4_Hexblade_Fix

Make sure to get the alternate class feature in PHB2... then grab acquire familiar and improved familiar :)

Ajadea
2010-08-30, 09:13 PM
I like the non-caster variant in Unearthed Arcana for the Ranger. Then I would probably find another variant ability that switched out the animal companion. I'm not big on the Tome of Battle classes, but I'm sure one of those would work quite well.

Distracting Shot, PHB 2, lets whatever you hit with any sort of weapon attack count as flanked for the purposes of your ally's attacks. I've always wanted to try it with a Greater Manyshot ranger.

Zaq
2010-08-31, 11:01 PM
Warlock. Shadowcaster covers the nichey, pull-it-when-you-need-it stuff that you can't just use constantly, while warlock covers the utility stuff and gives you at least a lazor pew pew to fall back upon when you don't want to burn a mystery. The biggest downside is the lack of in-class swift action abilities for either of them (which tend to be very important in gestalt), but they still cover each other's bases without actually being overpowered.

(OK, well, Blend Into Shadows is a swift action that may as well be a warlock class feature, and it's very thematically appropriate, but other than that...)

gorfnab
2010-09-01, 02:30 AM
Personally I'd gestalt it with a Shadow Hand focused swordsage. More shadow than you can shake a stick at.
Add in Telfammar Shadowlord and you'll get a decent pouncing build out of it too. Lets see: Shadow Jaunt/Stride/Blink (Swordsage) + Flicker (Shadowcaster) + Ebon Roads Path (Shadowcaster) + Shadow Jump (Telfammar) = lots of fuel for shadow pouncing.

A Rogue/Swashbuckler (Daring Outlaw) build on the other side is great for a sneaky stabby Shadowcaster. Also Arrow of Dusk and Umbral Touch with sneak attack is just awesome.