PDA

View Full Version : Adventuring Bardty

Rauthiss
2010-08-30, 10:08 PM
So, I'm considering throwing together a game where every character's first 6 levels out of 12 have to be bard. I know that the Sublime Chord and the Seeker of the song exist to make blaster types, while snowflake war dance + slippers of battledancing make the idea of a melee bard possible.

I guess what I'm really trying to ask here is: Is an all bard party feasible, and how would certain roles get filled, such as trap guy or healer?

Thank you!

Esser-Z
2010-08-30, 10:11 PM
This sounds awesome. I bet the game'll rock.

Xyk
2010-08-30, 10:13 PM
A band of musicians who go around slaying the monsters.

WITH THE POWER OF ROCK!

Tyndmyr
2010-08-30, 10:48 PM
There was something similar a while back...but in addition to being bards, they all had to be kobolds. There was an awesome picture, as well. Hopefully search will help you.

The Glyphstone
2010-08-30, 10:53 PM
If they all go Dragonfire Inspiration tied to different elemental types, they'll absolutely devastate their opponents. Forget casting, 5 bards with optimized Inspiration could be doing an absurd number damage.

playswithfire
2010-08-30, 11:18 PM
For healer, now about a Gnome Divine Bard (Unearthed Arcana) 7 / Hospitaler (complete divine) 5 with the gnome racial substitution levels (Races of Stone), Healing Hymn from Complete Champion, and the Unearthed Arcana variant that trades most of the inspires for some druid class features, notably the animal companion, which can be his mount to make the hospitaler feats more reasonable. (yes, it does replace pretty much every bard class feature; you didn't say we couldn't do that; just that it had to be a bard)

For trap guy, nothing so convoluted; a Bard 6/Divine Oracle (Complete Divine) 6 should be able to see most traps coming. Might come up with something better later.

Flickerdart
2010-08-30, 11:20 PM
You could do worse than MS Persist bard for the muscle of the party.

averagejoe
2010-08-30, 11:25 PM
If they all go Dragonfire Inspiration tied to different elemental types, they'll absolutely devastate their opponents. Forget casting, 5 bards with optimized Inspiration could be doing an absurd number damage.

And it would kind of be like the Power Rangers, or some similarly themed 5-man team!

KitTheOdd
2010-08-31, 12:29 AM
ToB with Warblade or Crusader and Song of the White Raven. I chant the song of death as I beat your body to ruin.

Getting out at Bard 4 and picking up some Jade Phoenix Mage worked well for me.

Trapfinder is a bit hard but a Rogue or Factotum dip should work just fine.

Healer is a bit more difficult, but the Cure spell are on the list so wands work easily.

Telonius
2010-08-31, 07:02 AM
Trapfinder is a bit hard but a Rogue or Factotum dip should work just fine.

Trapfinding is actually the biggest problem I'm seeing here. Either don't have any traps for the first 6 levels, or give them some way to get Trapfinding. (I'm thinking maybe a skill trick would be good for it).

Morph Bark
2010-08-31, 07:30 AM

This. This was my first thought and I have utilized it effectively during games as well.

Some of those bards with at least one level in Marshal or Dragon Shaman will further ramp that up.

Trapfinding is actually the biggest problem I'm seeing here. Either don't have any traps for the first 6 levels, or give them some way to get Trapfinding. (I'm thinking maybe a skill trick would be good for it).

I think the OP's idea here is to start at level 12, so the no-trapfinding-for-6-levels is no biggie.

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-31, 08:06 AM
Oh god

THIS IS THE DRAGON (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19DxJDp9Oro#t=40s)

THIS IS THE BIG BAD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RidsxnnVTR4)

Oh, and of course, MATHEW PATEL needs to be included

JerichoPenumbra
2010-08-31, 08:16 AM
So, I'm considering throwing together a game where every character's first 6 levels out of 12 have to be bard. I know that the Sublime Chord and the Seeker of the song exist to make blaster types, while snowflake war dance + slippers of battledancing make the idea of a melee bard possible.

Where are slippers of battledancing from?