PDA

View Full Version : New undead challenge

Kaww
2010-08-31, 08:05 AM
My party is soon going to meet the BBEG Dread Necro...
I'm in need of advice/help...
I want him to have a dragon brought back by create greater undead. Now the question is how to make a Devourer Dragon. Any ideas?

My idea is a bit too simple...
Just subtract 8,9,10,11,12,13 and 3 from racial HD from the Devourer stats given in MM. Give him all exs & sus devourer has, albeit DCs recalculated to fit new stats.

The other idea comes from DC - Vampiric dragon and it has a bit more flavor, but VD's fluff is a bit of problem...

For your pearls of wisdom I thank you in advance.

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-31, 08:57 AM
The Devourer doesn't have class levels, so it's base stats should all be 10s and 11s. Of course, since Devourers aren't based on any particular creature, you may not want to blindly apply the stat modifiers like that. Maybe something like Str +8, Con -, Int +4, Wis +4, Cha +4 would be more appropriate as a template.

It should be fine to just give the Devourer's special abilities to whatever creature you want. Just don't forget to recalculate the save DCs based on the new creature's HD and (typically for Undead) Charisma score.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that the image of a big undead dragon with the little person trapped in their torso is an awesome image. Bravo! :smallamused::smallsmile:

Malbordeus
2010-08-31, 10:12 AM
going by the LM - undead are negative energy based spirits in an animate corporeal form. so... use the dragons Physical Stats and physical (ex) abilities, the Devourers mental Stats spellcasting, SP and SU abilities, probably DR/healing too.

you'll be making it an undead, so you may want to dope up the hitdice to as many as twice the base dragons, as undead HD are half the power of Dragon HD, or give it some random ability that lets it use Cha in place of its con for its breath weapon or HD (unholy grace)

and watch it tpk till the cows come home... at which point it eats their souls too.

just my two copper pieces

Kaww
2010-08-31, 10:30 AM
@ KillianHawkeye: That is too much HD. Dragon zombie from DC gives it 2HP per HD, Dread necro also gives 2 per HD and I would add some extra too. As far as cha to DCs that is a rather good suggestion.:smallwink: thanks.

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-31, 07:33 PM
@ KillianHawkeye: That is too much HD. Dragon zombie from DC gives it 2HP per HD, Dread necro also gives 2 per HD and I would add some extra too. As far as cha to DCs that is a rather good suggestion.:smallwink: thanks.

That was not me you are replying to.... :smallconfused::smallsigh:

Kaww
2010-09-01, 09:34 AM
That was not me you are replying to.... :smallconfused::smallsigh:

Sorry:redface: