PDA

View Full Version : Giant in the Arcade: GitP game club. Game 1: Marathon

chiasaur11
2010-08-31, 02:13 PM
Alright, so I discussed this in the Steam thread, but I may as well repeat.

Welcome to the GitP Gaming Discussion Society for the Advancement of Mankind, and the Frequent Extinction of Every Other Species.

We'll be picking new games fortnightly, and discuss them as they're played. Feel free to vote on what games after the first will be, and if a game wouldn't work for you, it's both fine and expected to drop in and out. And if you've played a game before, it's still fine to discuss, and more relevantly help us poor newbie schmucks with it.

Our first game, as anticipated, will be Steel Battalion: Line of Contact, a hardcore online X-box mech simulation well known for its gargatuan controller and hefty pricetag.

Now, the community has become fairly insular these days, and the campaign mode servers are long dead, but I'm sure we can all afford the three hundred dollars to check out such an intriguing game, despite its eccentricities.

Edit: I've just been informed that most of you are, or claim to be "Broke". Honestly, kids these days. In my day we'd sell organs to afford videogames! And it wasn't even the good ones. The lads were trading their livers for "Bubsy 3D" and "Legend of Zelda: Faces of Evil". And don't ASK what you had to give for Super Metroid or Mario 64!

Fine, fine. But next time, it'll be a game that costs money, mark my words!

Fortnight one is the Marathon Trilogy. Old school FPS action combined with a plot that's actually... good. I know, terrifying.

Free with instructions from here (http://source.bungie.org/index.php/Get_Marathon). Level skip is shift+ctrl.

Have fun.

xp194
2010-08-31, 02:15 PM
Believe it or not, I have actually played this. At a museum temporary exhibition, no less.

It's fun, although very complicated (duh) and the lure of the red switch under plastic cover that was the eject button was too much for me to resist.

Dogmantra
2010-08-31, 02:16 PM
My friend has it. Hold on, I'm sure he won't mind all of you borrowing it. :smallbiggrin:

It's quite fun.

SparkMandriller
2010-08-31, 02:49 PM
Fine, fine. But next time, it'll be a game that costs money, mark my words!

We should play Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu. That's only like $1000 a board or something.

Triscuitable
2010-08-31, 03:28 PM
How about I link all the good mods out there for you all to download.

RED (http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/files/MarathonRED.zip)

EVIL (http://trilogyrelease.bungie.org/files/MarathonEvil.zip)

Tempus Irae (http://fileball.net/marathon/item.fb?913921692)

Eternal (http://eternal.bungie.org/files/_releases/EternalXv103Full.zip)

Rubicon X (http://files5.bungie.org/marathon/marathonRubiconX.zip)

I'll be on the lookout for more, but download RED and EVIL. They're priority mods, that have to be EXPERIENCED, not played, by all Marathon fans. Also note that Tempus Ira, Rubicon X, and Eternal are above 150MB, so those with hard drives loaded with games might want to take note.

AlterForm
2010-08-31, 03:41 PM
Marking the topic for interest. (Thrice-cursed college classes taking up all my free time :smalltongue:)

watsyurname529
2010-08-31, 03:42 PM
When can we start suggesting games be put on the list of "needs to be played"?

Triscuitable
2010-08-31, 03:47 PM
When can we start suggesting games be put on the list of "needs to be played"?

Bioshock. System Shock 2. Half Life 2. Call of Duty 2. The Secret of Monkey Island. Grim Fandango. Okami. Psychonauts.

Dragero
2010-08-31, 03:50 PM
Bioshock. System Shock 2. Half Life 2. Call of Duty 2. The Secret of Monkey Island. Grim Fandango. Okami. Psychonauts.

But...but...those cost money! I'm already down to my last few remaining organs, so no way to sell them....

chiasaur11
2010-08-31, 03:52 PM
But...but...those cost money! I'm already down to my last few remaining organs, so no way to sell them....

And some are kinda tricky to get on the up and up.

Let's stick to stuff that's under ten bucks and/or free, easily available, and out for PC for the moment.

Also, preferably, really good. But voting should help with weeding out the really bad ones.

Triscuitable
2010-08-31, 03:54 PM
Here's the list of great games on Steam. Steam is a free program every PC gamer should own.

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition 1&2 are $10 each, and my favorite point 'n' click titles.

Garry's Mod is $10, but you need Half Life 2 to play it, at the least. Luckily...

Half Life 2 is also $10.

Knights of the Old Republic, a great RPG (that I hate) is $10. Take my friend's advice, not mine. Buy it.

Riven is the sequel to my favorite plot-based title that's name isn't Bioshock, MYST. $5.

F.E.A.R., while flawed, is a freaky, fast paced, and intense shooter. Here's the best part, the campaign is $10, but you can sign up online to get a disc with the multiplayer for free! For legal reasons, I can't link people under 18 to the page, so I'll drop you off at the age verification (http://projectorigin.warnerbros.com/fearcombat/main).

Fallout 1&2 are MY favorite RPGs, and are $10 each. Fallout Tactics, while not my favorite, is also $10, get all three for $20.

Deus Ex, Game of the Year Edition, is a mere $10. Deus Ex. Warren Spector. DEUS EX.

Psychonauts, $10.

Star Wars: Republic Commando, $10.

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory is arguably the best in the series. Oddly, this is justified after merely five entries. It is also $10. Double Agent also falls under this amazing value. And if you haven't played Splinter Cell, or Pandora Tomorrow, you haven't experienced stealth-action at it's finest. All 4, $10 each. $100 nails you all 5 in the series.

Unreal: Gold is a great PC FPS, with a graphical engine that wowed gamers back in '99.

Every X-Com game is a mere $5! ALL FOUR FOR $20, AND YOU'RE STILL READING THIS?!

The excellent Ghost Recon series is $5-$10. If you haven't played any of them, start with the first. GRAW is a bit user-unfriendly if you're a first timer.

Rainbow Six 3: GOLD is $10, and since it's among the two other Tom Clancy entries so far, you'd best start here. Or not.

You're not going to pay $20 for the first episode of Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness, (still follow?), on your Xbox, so do it on Steam. Episode One is a measly $5.

All Quake games are between $5 and $10. Buy the third one, or play Quake Live (http://www.quakelive.com/) for free.

If you won't buy Beyond Good & Evil at $10, I hate you. It's fantastic, and they tried to get it to people through other methods, stooping to ridiculous lows. I haven't gotten a quality game like this in a box of Chex since ChexQuest!

OddWorld 1&2 are $10 together. That's a pretty good deal.

And that, people, is the entire library of good games Steam has to offer for $10 and under! I didn't mention what's free though.

America's Army 3 is a free title on Steam, multiplayer military action, and achievements!

Sam and Max: Season One, Episode 1: Abe Lincoln Must Die! Is free.

And if you bought or own Half Life 2, or any other source game, look no further than Steam's huge bounty of (achievement laden) mods! You can also check out Source Mods! (http://www.hl2mods.co.uk/)

But what if $10 is too much? Good old gamers, like Chiasaur, visit Good Old Gamers (http://www.gog.com/). My apologies for the awful pun, and shameful plug. Thanks for showing me, Chiasaur.

chiasaur11
2010-08-31, 04:17 PM
Well, as much as I love Steam, fallout 1 and 2 are cheaper and better off of Good Old Games (gog.com).

So, do that instead, I suppose.

But free for the first week.

Triscuitable
2010-08-31, 04:52 PM
Want to drive yourself insane? Phantasmagoria is basically a game full of disturbing, snuff like FMVs! It's also $10, and made by Sierra. It's a point 'n' click, if you haven't guessed already.

onasuma
2010-08-31, 05:02 PM
If you won't buy Beyond Good & Evil at $10, I hate you. It's fantastic, and they tried to get it to people through other methods, stooping to ridiculous lows. I haven't gotten a quality game like this in a box of Chex since ChexQuest![/b]

I strongly disagree here. BG&E was a good game, plagued with flaws and thats the playstation version which had reasonable controls. The PC version didnt even have those. Otherwise, very good list, but I couldnt even bring myself to finish that game on pc.

Gamerlord
2010-08-31, 06:10 PM
Suggestions, but I am not playing marathon,completely uncontrollable:

GARRYS. MOD.
Masters of orion
Hoi2
Rome Total War
Half life 2 (Mix with garrys mod for awesomesauce)
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Beneath A Steel Sky (NOTE: FOR ONE THIS IS FREE,ALSO, I HAVE ONLY PLAYED IT A LITTLE. WHAT I HAVE PLAYED SEEMS PRETTY GOOD.

Volatar
2010-08-31, 06:11 PM
In contrast to the above, I will suggest a few good FOSS games:

-The Battle for Wesnoth (turn based fantasy RTS)
-The Ur Quan Masters (Star Control II remake)
-Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe
-Nethack

Gamerlord
2010-08-31, 06:14 PM

-Nethack

I am offended! :smalltongue:
Also, I can tell those are freeware, but what does FOSS mean?

Volatar
2010-08-31, 06:27 PM
I am offended! :smalltongue:
Also, I can tell those are freeware, but what does FOSS mean?

"The above" was actually referrint to Triscuitable, not you, but you posed while I was typing :smalltongue:

Free Open Source Software

wojonatior
2010-08-31, 07:04 PM
Ima gonna post in here and check back later.

chiasaur11
2010-09-01, 12:41 AM
Suggestions, but I am not playing marathon,completely uncontrollable:

Uncontrollable?

Mind if I ask the details?

watsyurname529
2010-09-01, 10:03 AM

-Nethack

Battle For Wesnoth is good.

For another free yet awesome game, we should try Spelunky.

Dragero
2010-09-01, 01:44 PM
Ok, I put together a list of Game suggested to play, and already played games. Numbers listed in blue are the number of votes a agme has to be played (Asuming We're a democacy)

Games Already Played:
Marathon

Free to play game suggested:
F.E.A.R. Multiplayer
America's Army 3
Sam and Max: Season One: Abe Lincoln Must die
Beneath A Steel Sky
The Battle for Wesnoth 1
The Ur Quan Masters
Open Transport Tycoon Deluxe
Nethack
Spelunky
Garrys Mod 9
Gunz
A.V.A. 2

Games that cost Money Suggested: (Only games under/close to $10 included)
Steel Battalion: Line of Contact
The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition 1&2
Garrys Mod 1
Half Life 2 1
Knights of the old republic (Note: May not work of many newer computers)
Riven/Myst 2
F.E.A.R.
Fallout 1/2
Deus Ex
Psychonauts
Star wars: Republic Comando
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell: Double agent
Unreal Gold
X-com (UFOD, TFTD, Apoc,)
Ghost recon
Rainbow Six 3
Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rainslick Precipice of Darkness
Quake
Beyond Good and Evil
Oddworld 1&2
Phantasmagoria
Masters Of Orion
Rome Total War
Hearts of Iron 2
Sid Meier's Pirates!

Hope this helps sort things out

Gamerlord
2010-09-01, 02:21 PM
Uncontrollable?

Mind if I ask the details?

Prattlingly needed three arms to control that game, found controls unresponsive, and the game just plain boring.

Imposter
2010-09-01, 02:53 PM
Prattlingly needed three arms to control that game, found controls unresponsive, and the game just plain boring.

I don't know, I managed it with the standard two. And fixing the unresponsive thing is a matter of messing with the sensitivity. You are using mouselook, right?

Volatar
2010-09-01, 03:16 PM
For another free yet awesome game, we should try Spelunky.

Heck yes. Spelunky is awesome/hard/Fun (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Fun).

Scuzzball
2010-09-01, 03:29 PM
I add my vote for Spelunky, and Riven/Myst. I have 3 copies of myst, and 2 of riven. Only the steam versions of each work. ****ing CD's. Especially inherited ones.

Gamerlord
2010-09-01, 07:51 PM
I don't know, I managed it with the standard two. And fixing the unresponsive thing is a matter of messing with the sensitivity. You are using mouselook, right?

There is a mouselook :smallconfused: ?

chiasaur11
2010-09-01, 07:56 PM
There is a mouselook :smallconfused: ?

Yup.

It's in the options menu. Wouldn't have played without it.

Gamerlord
2010-09-02, 05:48 AM
Yup.

It's in the options menu. Wouldn't have played without it.

I see, in that case I may try the game.

Anonymoose
2010-09-02, 08:08 AM
For freeware games, I say Iji (http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php)is pretty good.

Triscuitable
2010-09-02, 05:29 PM
For freeware games, I say Iji (http://www.remar.se/daniel/iji.php)is pretty good.

Gunz, A.V.A., lots of good F2P MMOTPS/FPS games on there.

Also Combat Arms.

Gamerlord
2010-09-02, 05:35 PM

Also Combat Arms.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo MMOS take up way too much space. And ads for combat arms I have seen make it look pretty darn immature.

Volatar
2010-09-02, 05:47 PM

Also Combat Arms.

I would like to place a vote against these games. They are free, but they are all problematic and most come with their own distribution platform to just run in the background. Steam is enough for me.

Oh, and they are all total crap too, but thats only a minor side note.

chiasaur11
2010-09-03, 02:09 PM
Right, good to have a lot of votes.

Anyone started on Marathon yet?

Any thoughts?

Like hatred for the first computer terminal ambush?

wojonatior
2010-09-03, 02:10 PM
Actually! for garrys mod, you can get an earlier version that is 100% free! Doesn't have all of the features though...

Imposter
2010-09-03, 02:22 PM
Right, good to have a lot of votes.

Anyone started on Marathon yet?

Any thoughts?

Like hatred for the first computer terminal ambush?

Been playing it off and on since my gaming computer died a few months ago. Gotta get my fix somewhere, right?

And no, not really. I mostly just hate the civilians. Survival instinct of an FPS protagonist and none of the durability.

chiasaur11
2010-09-03, 03:04 PM
Been playing it off and on since my gaming computer died a few months ago. Gotta get my fix somewhere, right?

And no, not really. I mostly just hate the civilians. Survival instinct of an FPS protagonist and none of the durability.

Of course not.

If they were durable, you couldn't get them out of the way by punching them into gibs.

Dragero
2010-09-03, 04:23 PM
Added A.V.A., Gunz, and Gmod 9, and Sid Meier's Pirates!

I despise Combat arms and will not acknowledge it's existence.

Triscuitable
2010-09-03, 04:26 PM
Actually! for garrys mod, you can get an earlier version that is 100% free! Doesn't have all of the features though...

You also need Half Life 2, Portal, and Counterstrike Source for it to work. Save $20, buy HL2 and GMoD11. Cheaper and more features. So no thank you.

I despise Combat arms and will not acknowledge it's existence.

I also never said I played it. I just said it's there if people want an FPS where it's impossible to get any kills...

Also, we should try Insurgency. It's a Sourcemod on Steam. $10 gets you any Source mod out there. I think we should do that.

But one game we need to play together, because it's the best MMO/Nostalgia crossover since Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (also $10 on PSN and XBLA), Dungeon Fighter Online (http://dfo.nexon.net/).

It's good. Trust me. As well as featuring the most BA Priest ever.

http://wiki.dfo-world.com/images/thumb/6/63/Priest_infighter.png/200px-Priest_infighter.png

Oh yeah.

Dragero
2010-09-03, 08:46 PM
Did I say Combat Arms? I meant Nexon as a whole.

Nexon: "Here`s a game for free"
You: "Yay! But wait....how do I change my hair-color/Jump/Do anything past Level 10?"

Nexon: "Hmmm? Oh, thats $10. Also, we`re not putting a charge on talking."

You: "What? Thats no-"

Nexon: "2 dollars plz"

--------

Anyways, I purpose games be played something like this:

1st: Free game: 2 weeks

2nd: Free Game: 2 Weeks

3rd: Paid Game (X-Com, Baulders Gate, HL2, ect): 1-2 Weeks

Repeat untill Duke Nukem Forever is out.

This way, broke people get to join in on most weeks, but Great Cheap games get their time too.

Anyone like?

Triscuitable
2010-09-03, 08:49 PM
1st: Free game: 2 weeks

2nd: Free Game: 2 Weeks

3rd: Paid Game (X-Com, Baulders Gate, HL2, ect): 1-2 Weeks

Repeat untill Duke Nukem Forever is out.

This way, broke people get to join in on most weeks, but Great Cheap games get their time too.

Anyone like?

Duke Nuken Forever was just announced at PAX Prime '10 to be finished up by Gearbox. It has a 2nd Quarter 2011 Release Date. What happens after that?

http://turbo.inquisitr.com/wp-content/2010/09/500x_duke.jpg

Dragero
2010-09-03, 08:54 PM
WHAT!?!!%$*#

My favorite never-to-come Time/Date has been ruined.......

Triscuitable
2010-09-03, 09:11 PM
My favorite never-to-come Time/Date has been ruined.......

Don't worry, you'll always have Beyond Good & Evil 2, Postal III, Metroid: Dread, Gran Turismo 5, Max Payne 3...

Volatar
2010-09-04, 04:18 AM
Lets please stay away from MMO's of any kind. :smallannoyed:

Also, GMod 9 does not work period. Its nearly impossible to get working, and not worth it in the end.

Gamerlord
2010-09-04, 07:11 AM
Don't worry, you'll always have Beyond Good & Evil 2, Postal III, Metroid: Dread, Gran Turismo 5, Max Payne 3...

Don't forget Warcraft 4. :smalltongue: Or World of Warcraft 2 :smalltongue: .
Though those are never coming out for very different reasons :smalltongue: .

Dragero
2010-09-04, 07:32 AM
Oh, and Starcraft: Ghost

I was so exited about it......

Anonymoose
2010-09-05, 12:01 AM

Also Combat Arms.

I think you're confusing Iji with Ijji. Two different things.

I'm talking about Iji, a freeware platformer, not the game company.

Triscuitable
2010-09-05, 06:38 PM
Don't forget Warcraft 4. :smalltongue: Or World of Warcraft 2 :smalltongue: .
Though those are never coming out for very different reasons :smalltongue: .

World of StarCraft! Oh wait...

http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Daily/2010/08-Aug/31/StarCraft%20II%20mod/worldofstarcraft1--article_image.jpg

Some bloody genius is modding StarCraft II to make it. (This was made by a begginer modder. Think of the potential from skilled modders!)

Duke Nukem: Forever, still taking forever.

chiasaur11
2010-09-07, 01:47 AM
So, been going at the first Marathon on total carnage. It's been...

Interesting.

Beat the first level without excessive effort, but there's a lot less margin for error than on normal.

Good game, and the plot is still excellent, but it does show its age.

Might skip to 2 and see if there's a way to start every level with dual shotguns and plenty of ammo.

For a change of pace.