PDA

View Full Version : Warforged prestige class [3.5]

KingoftheTrees
2010-08-31, 05:05 PM
Other than the Warforged Juggernaut, what would be a great prestige class for a Warforged "in your face" kind of fighter?

Tetrasodium
2010-08-31, 05:15 PM
Other than the Warforged Juggernaut, what would be a great prestige class for a Warforged "in your face" kind of fighter?

I have one in my sig that could easily be tweaked from an epic PrC to a Non-Epic PrC, it's based on the marut & shield guardian. Spellcarved soldier is really cool in concept, but you will almost certainly have to houserule something about it considering it's a caster focused PrC with no caster progression and some of it's granted abilities are a bonus to something juggernaut is immune to or easily replicated with a feat :P. Warhulk if you can convince your DM to ignore the size large requirement or bump your warforge up to size large. What sort of level range? What does the warforged in question already have & how do they view the world?

Keld Denar
2010-08-31, 05:23 PM
Landforged Walker is another decent 'forged PrC. Its acomplishes the "in your face" thing in slightly more green fashion.

There is a really really good homebrew PrC over in the other forum called Warforged Armorlord. Its a ToB based class that focuses on either Stone Dragon or Iron Heart, and gives you the ability to make some modifications such as reinforcing your Adamantine Plating, increasing your size, increasing the effective size of your slam or the damage type it deals, adding a wand to your plating that you can cast from, and a few other goodies. It also gives you a couple of unique strikes and stances similar to those you get from Deepstone Sentinal and similar PrCs. Very good, very interesting, and pretty balanced.

Tetrasodium
2010-08-31, 05:47 PM
Book of vile darkness has a really nasty PrC called Soul Eater that warforged qualify by virtue of not being a humanoid ... pretty much it's lots and lots of drain type attacks and the ability to gain things from them. If you already have a bit of focus on improving your slam attack it makes a good combination :). Have to be evil for it, but you might be able to credibly claim that the evil bit could be waived for the same reason there are some warforged worshiping the blood of vol ;).

KingoftheTrees
2010-08-31, 05:56 PM
It's actually one of MANY character ideas I have floating around in my head for a future campaign that we'll start after we finish what we're currently playing. It'll be a vengeance based campaign and my em already said That warcorged would be an allowed class, either as a slave or soldier but I can't really think of a plot hook or his outlook yet as that campaign is still in the initial stages of planning/creation so it'll be a while.

Where is Landforged Walker from?

This Warforged Armorlord intrigues me and I wish to learn more...

LOTRfan
2010-08-31, 06:00 PM
Landforged Walker is from Secrets of Xen'drik.

Keld Denar
2010-08-31, 06:02 PM
Warforged Armorlord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99062)

flabort
2010-08-31, 06:07 PM
Strangly enough, as a Living construct, Warforged qualify for Half-fiend, if it's not too late. While not a PrC, and while it does have +4 LA, it may be worth the investment. Add that to the Soul Eater that tetrasodium mentioned, and you've got a walking evil machine.

LOTRfan
2010-08-31, 06:10 PM
They seriously fit the bill for a half-fiend? I know that it says any living, corporeal creature, but doesn't it seem a bit... weird that a race that cannot reproduce can be made Half-Fiends?

Keld Denar
2010-08-31, 06:11 PM
Don't ask...its best NOT to ask... (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NightmareFuel)

LOTRfan
2010-08-31, 06:17 PM
...:smalleek:... I didn't realize there was a name for that.

...alright then, I'll keep that in mind...

Marnath
2010-08-31, 06:19 PM
It makes my brain bleed whenever I see people trying to justify adding an inherited template to something that isn't born.

tyckspoon
2010-08-31, 06:23 PM
It makes my brain bleed whenever I see people trying to justify adding an inherited template to something that isn't born.

Warforged are deliberately constructed, however, which is a lot *like* being born in that they have a distinct process that has a lot of opportunity for adding 'heredity' influences. It's probably even more flexible when it comes to adding templates, at least by the default fluff- incorporate a bound demon in the creation forge, and bam, fiendish/Half-Fiend Warforged. Want a Draconic 'forged? Use dragon's blood in place of the sap/'living ichor'/whatever the heck the 'forged use as a blood analog.

Marnath
2010-08-31, 06:28 PM
Warforged are deliberately constructed, however, which is a lot *like* being born in that they have a distinct process that has a lot of opportunity for adding 'heredity' influences. It's probably even more flexible when it comes to adding templates, at least by the default fluff- incorporate a bound demon in the creation forge, and bam, fiendish/Half-Fiend Warforged. Want a Draconic 'forged? Use dragon's blood in place of the sap/'living ichor'/whatever the heck the 'forged use as a blood analog.

Meh. I think it ruins the point of playing a golem, but ok I guess that kinda works. I thought warforged don't have blood, since they are automatically stable? I wouldn't think that would happen if you had a blood analog material, you'd bleed that instead for the same effect as when a human bleeds, except worse because you don't heal.

awesomessake
2010-08-31, 06:29 PM
Races of Eberron has a couple of classes. I haven't used them so i don't know how well they work.
Reforged: Warforged who embrace there living aspects.
Spellcarved Soilder (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20050408b&page=8): it was used as an excerpt.

Tetrasodium
2010-08-31, 06:30 PM

Q: Dear Sage, (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20070112a)
I desperately need your help! I need to know two things: whether a warforged can become a dragonborn of Bahamut (Races of the Dragon), and if so what are the racial traits I keep from the warforged list?
--Matt

A: Matt, the Sage is here to help.

Despite the misleading entry in the dragonborn racial traits that suggests that all dragonborn are humanoids, the only prerequisites for being reborn in this manner are a non-evil alignment and an Intelligence of 3 or better. Thus, there’s nothing stopping a warforged from undergoing this ritual and dedicating himself to the service of Bahamut.

A warforged who becomes a dragonborn would be a construct with the living construct and dragonblood subtypes. He’d retain his warforged ability score modifiers and favored class.

He’d also retain all traits derived from the living construct subtype, including immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, disease, nausea, fatigue, exhaustion, and energy drain; inability to heal damage naturally; vulnerability to certain metal- or wood-affecting spells; and half effect from healing spells. He’d still become inert at –1 to –9 hp, and he still wouldn’t need to eat, sleep, or breathe.

However, he would lose his composite plating, light fortification, and slam attack.

The next logical question, of course, is whether the dragonborn warforged can select feats that would improve his now-absent composite plating. Technically, these feats don’t list composite plating as a prerequisite, so it appears the answer would be yes.

The Unarmored Body feat (Races of Eberron pg. 120) supports this ruling, as it indicates that other feats that adjust the character’s armor bonus could be selected later, even though he technically doesn’t have the composite plating’s armor bonus any more.

Granted losing all that is fairly painful for warforged in some ways considering the whole inability to wear armor bit :P... but yea, half-whatever warforged tend to be painful to think about.

Marnath
2010-08-31, 06:49 PM
Granted losing all that is fairly painful for warforged in some ways considering the whole inability to wear armor bit :P... but yea, half-whatever warforged tend to be painful to think about.

Dragonborn is an aquired template.......

mobdrazhar
2010-08-31, 08:42 PM
Meh. I think it ruins the point of playing a golem, but ok I guess that kinda works. I thought warforged don't have blood, since they are automatically stable? I wouldn't think that would happen if you had a blood analog material, you'd bleed that instead for the same effect as when a human bleeds, except worse because you don't heal.

Towards the end of the contruction process of the Warforged they bound a fiendish spirit to the creation

flabort
2010-08-31, 08:47 PM
Just to note, I was trying to put the fiendish template on one, but the fiendish template lists types, rather than saying "any living", so instead of that +2 LA template, I chose the one they DO qualify for, half-fiend, +4 LA.
If your DM approves, you could get the fiendish template Via rule 0, but I don't think we want to tempt his wrath here. Unfortunately, half-fiend makes it into an Outsider (Augmented Construct, Living Construct). therefor, they lose... Next to nothing? that's right, they keep Living Construct traits, which augment or replace everything they would have lost in the transition from construct to outsider, meaning they actually lose very little.
A need to sleep and darkvision are basically the only changes due to type change. from there, it's all template specific bonuses. (And I think the bonuses remove the need to sleep again)

Zhalath
2010-09-01, 08:58 PM
I always thought that they added some element when forging the warforged. This idea, combined with a very ignorant GM, led to me playing a half-fire elemental, winged warforged behemoth (homebrew warforged with Powerful Build, +2 Str, +4 Con, -2 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha, LA +1) favored soul of a made-up god of firearms, who dual-wielded Renaissance-era pistols enchanted to shoot fireballs. Yeah, nothing wrong with that.

Our idea was that if, say, a dragon participated in making the warforged, by contributing design or spells or something, it popped out half-dragon. Same with fiends or celestials. Draconic, fiendish, or celestial warforged came from forges that were designed to build that kind of warforged.

I'm curious if Reforged is any good. I've looked at it myself, and some of the benefits (natural healing, full healing effects), are very nice. I've debated taking all 3 levels, to avoid losing the last shred of machinehood. Also, would it be good for a fighter-type person? I'm curious because I'm considering building a warforged myself (pun not intended), and was considering taking the class.

DaragosKitsune
2010-09-01, 09:57 PM
If you don't mind Racial HD and +4 LA, you could consider the warforged charger from Monster Manual 3.

Zhalath
2010-09-01, 11:14 PM
If you don't mind Racial HD and +4 LA, you could consider the warforged charger from Monster Manual 3.

Aren't those things as dumb as a brick? I don't have the book in front of me, but I remember like -8 Int, and like -4 Cha and a Wis penalty. I remember considering playing one, and then noticing you're basically a big dumb metal animal, except you're more susceptible to illusions.

tyckspoon
2010-09-01, 11:59 PM
I'm curious if Reforged is any good. I've looked at it myself, and some of the benefits (natural healing, full healing effects), are very nice. I've debated taking all 3 levels, to avoid losing the last shred of machinehood. Also, would it be good for a fighter-type person? I'm curious because I'm considering building a warforged myself (pun not intended), and was considering taking the class.

From an optimization standpoint it's pretty bad, with a base chassis that doesn't stand out in anything (3/4 BAB, only one good save, d8 HP, 4 skill points which at least work on a reasonably good set of class skills) and class features that are basically negligible. The only thing that really stands out is the chance of using Final Reforging as a Psychic Reformation/Chaos Shuffle technique, in which you exchange your low-level Adamantine Body, Jaws of Death, and Second Slam feats for higher-level feats that you now qualify for.

Zhalath
2010-09-02, 12:51 PM
From an optimization standpoint it's pretty bad, with a base chassis that doesn't stand out in anything (3/4 BAB, only one good save, d8 HP, 4 skill points which at least work on a reasonably good set of class skills) and class features that are basically negligible. The only thing that really stands out is the chance of using Final Reforging as a Psychic Reformation/Chaos Shuffle technique, in which you exchange your low-level Adamantine Body, Jaws of Death, and Second Slam feats for higher-level feats that you now qualify for.

Is it even worth it for the "full effects of healing spells"? I suppose it would be cheaper to buy the party wizard some scrolls of Repair X Wounds, and have him transcribe them.

tyckspoon
2010-09-02, 01:18 PM
Nope. The healing reduction is just not that big a deal; you can have the Repair Construct line used on you instead, you can find healing effects that do not come from the (Healing) subschool like most of the healing maneuvers of Devoted Spirit, and if it comes down to it you can just use twice as much healing, which is generally not that big an expense unless you are relying on a Cleric actually hard-casting Cure X Wounds from his own slots. Wands of Cure Light/Lesser Vigor, the healing reserve feat, and the Vigor draconic aura still work on Warforged quite well (although if you're going to be buying twice as many wand charges to use Cure Light, you may as well make one of 'em Repair Light Damage anyway.)

Tetrasodium
2010-09-02, 01:50 PM
Also warforge have some nice benefits (that sometimes hurt) with regards to being a living construct instead of humanoid. Charm person doesn't work on them, charm monster would be needed; likewise enlarge person doesn't work on them. Spells that normally require a construct as the target can be used as well, golem immunity is a nice one from spell compendium (I think) that will let a wizard use transmute mud to rock to repair you 10hp/level up to 150hp among other possibilities like haste+healing from certain elemental spells and stuff ;)

The healing penalty can hurt, but usually isn't terribly inconveniencing. Remember to put points in a craft skill that lets you repair yourself just in case :)

Snake-Aes
2010-09-02, 02:33 PM
Inherited templates don't automatically demand reproduction. There's precedent of the half-fiend template applying to a previously existing creature, for example.

If a warforged wants to be a half fiend, and he qualifies for it( must be alive and not Good ), why should his motherless nature forbid him? It's very easy to change the "must have snoo-snoo with devils" fluff, you know? We even have a rough idea of how warforged are assembled. Might as well replace some of those plaques with preserved devil flesh. Or make the forge's phlebotinum stream go through a devil's heart or whatever.