PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Mounting a horse

Frosty
2010-08-31, 08:25 PM
If you are attempting to mount a horse, do you have to first move into its space, or can you attempt the mount if you one sqaure (5 ft) away? If you do have to be in the same square, are there any rules preventing you from 5 ft-stepping into the horse's space, assuming the horse isn't hostile?

gallagher
2010-08-31, 08:30 PM
If you are attempting to mount a horse, do you have to first move into its space, or can you attempt the mount if you one sqaure (5 ft) away? If you do have to be in the same square, are there any rules preventing you from 5 ft-stepping into the horse's space, assuming the horse isn't hostile?

either allow it as a move action, seeing as they do that in the movies all the time by jumping on them

or use the grapple rules

Frosty
2010-08-31, 08:32 PM
Mounting is already a Move action. I just need to know the positioning required for mounting.

Fax Celestis
2010-08-31, 08:41 PM
I recommend Craft (Taxidermy).

I would assume mounting a horse acts exactly like a grapple, except friendly. You move into the creature's space during the initiation of the action.

Frosty
2010-08-31, 08:43 PM
I recommend Craft (Taxidermy).

I would assume mounting a horse acts exactly like a grapple, except friendly. You move into the creature's space during the initiation of the action.Would the movement provoke an AoO? Mounting by itself does not according to the PHB. but...

Fax Celestis
2010-08-31, 08:44 PM
The line in the DMG about mounting not provoking would include the whole action.

Karsh
2010-08-31, 08:45 PM
Would the movement provoke an AoO? Mounting by itself does not according to the PHB. but...

It would be a reasonable house rule to say that if you're mounting a horse, you're leaving yourself open to being stabbed.

I would definitely leave fast mounting as being a non-AOO provoking thing though.

Frosty
2010-08-31, 08:46 PM
It would be a reasonable house rule to say that if you're mounting a horse, you're leaving yourself open to being stabbed.
I am not looking for houserules at the moment, however. The PHB specifically states that mounting a horse by itself does not provoke AoOs. I only created this thread to ask about the movement implications. Nothing else.

Karsh
2010-08-31, 08:46 PM
Then no. It doesn't provoke.

silversnowe
2010-08-31, 08:59 PM
Mounting is already a Move action. I just need to know the positioning required for mounting.

I sense a great disturbance... As if a thousand double entendres cried out and were suddenly silenced. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0418.html)

AslanCross
2010-09-01, 02:52 AM
It requires some formaldehyde, a large amount of cotton, and a stand.

Serpentine
2010-09-01, 03:17 AM
A footstool and lots of lube.
<.<
No?

Is there a context to this? That is, what is the situation in which you're expecting to need this much detail?

Curmudgeon
2010-09-01, 09:11 AM
Ending Your Movement: You can’t end your movement in the same square as another creature unless it is helpless.

Mounting or dismounting from a steed requires a move action.
Any creature can move through a square occupied by a creature three size categories larger than it is.
For simplicity, assume that you share your mount’s space during combat. Put all these together and we know that if you're a normal character (Small size or larger) the rules don't require you to start out in the mount's space, because

You aren't 3+ sizes smaller than it if you're going to mount it normally.
You couldn't have ended your previous turn in its space unless you were already mounted, or one of you was helpless.
Mounting itself requires a move action, and does not specify prior movement into the mount's space before using this move action.
Dismounting requires the same action, and doesn't specify that you'll need additional movement to legally end your turn in another square.
You do need to be within your natural reach in order to grab onto your mount and haul yourself up.

Frosty
2010-09-01, 11:25 AM
A footstool and lots of lube.
<.<
No?

Is there a context to this? That is, what is the situation in which you're expecting to need this much detail?
In a situation where there is a weakened party member I wish to protect, but if getting onto my horse will have her eat an AoO possibly killing her, then I need a better solution. But, Curmudgeon does make some good points and I thibk the party member is safe.

pife
2010-09-01, 03:42 PM
But what if it's the horse that wants to bite you?

Okay, so that's a little tongue in cheek, but to me, mounting a horse that doesn't want to be mounted is a good way to get yourself bitten.

(And yes, I'm just kidding with my response.. mostly)

Cieyrin
2010-09-01, 04:40 PM
But what if it's the horse that wants to bite you?

Okay, so that's a little tongue in cheek, but to me, mounting a horse that doesn't want to be mounted is a good way to get yourself bitten.

(And yes, I'm just kidding with my response.. mostly)

That, my friend, is an AoO from entering the mount's space. It chooses not to if it's a willing mount! :smallbiggrin: