PDA

View Full Version : Your First RPG Experience

silversnowe
2010-08-31, 08:32 PM
What was your first RPG experience like? Did you have an experienced DM and party helping you along the way? Did you pick up an RPG book one day, decided it looked cool and got together with a group of friends who had never played either? Or was it something else entirely?

For me, it was when I decided to check out this D&D thing that was behind NWN a few months ago. I bought some dice, absorbed as much of the SRD as possible, and invited two friends over, with me as DM. The first session was pretty much an utter trainwreck where they bowled over what little plot I had to begin with, and killed a bunch of stuff. But we had fun, so I guess that's what matters in the end.

littlebottom
2010-08-31, 08:38 PM
My first RPG experience (table top wise anyway) was a game of WFRP 2e, (warhammer fantasy roleplay) it was actually ran by my father, whom is a wargamer and worked for gamesworkshop for many years, he knew the ins and outs of the setting sevenfold. although, when i played for the first time, i knew warhammer fantasy, and played a little, (though i mainly play 40k) so alot of the little things about the settings was lost on me, but to hear my father as the GM and a few friends play who knew the setting better than me was really.....exciting i suppose. it was great to see them play on all the things they knew, to me it was more about learning how things worked, so i suppose i missed out a lot in that game, but as i learnt i enjoyed it entirely. and since then have been playing roleplays non stop (well... atleast once a week sometimes twice) ive been doing this for around 5 to 6 years now.

Silly Wizard
2010-08-31, 08:39 PM
My first immersion into RPG games was pretty simple: I was twelve years old, and my brother (fourteen at the time) brought home a Player's Handbook for 3.5, as well as a Monster Manual, which we later found to be for 2nd edition. We all created characters, my first being a half-elf cleric of Pelor. We ran around and beat up mooks and really didn't have any goal or storyline other than collecting gold and destroying dungeons. We of course ignored rules, using our spells and whatnot as guidelines for roleplaying instead of hard rules.

Karsh
2010-08-31, 08:43 PM
I played in a short adventure with a group of Seniors at my high school when I was a freshman, DMmed by one of the Physics teachers. I played a monk/Ninja of the Crescent moon who I thought was awesome due to use of Circle Kick but wound up being mostly useless. We were in a Mobius Strip dungeon that we could only get out of by realizing it was a Mobius Strip.

Things nearly ended in disaster when the party got frustrated by the dungeon and, arguing over which way to go, split up, getting attacked by a Lernaen Hydra and a group of three Medusas at the same time. Fortunately, one of the players realized what was going on and shouted that it was a Mobius Strip, getting us yanked out of the dungeon.

I have since gone on to surpass all of them in optimization ability and actually DM for the DM of that game occasionally now.

Drakevarg
2010-08-31, 08:49 PM
First experience was a game of 2E DnD. The DM was the caretaker at the park where I went to latchkey (I was in 3rd grade or so at the time).

It was originally supposed to be a 1-shot thing, I think, but when the DM started another campaign a few months later he let me transfer over my character. Good thing, too, since in that session I'd gotten an enchanted sword from a character who was evidently the Dungeon Master's daughter. Turned out to be one of the most badass weapons in the party. Of course, I carried it around on my back for about four years before figuring that out. :smalltongue:

DementedFellow
2010-08-31, 09:01 PM
My first chance playing I created a standard Dwarven fighter in D&D. I rolled 18 in three stats and spend most of my WBL on a Giant Praying Mantis that he could ride.

He died in the second round of combat. Not knowing the rules, he provoked an AoO, then on his attack turn, did a critical fumble. Quickest gaming session ever.

A year later, I tried to play CoC. I played this with an almost different set of people and loved every minute of it. We played it very pulpy, very humorous and rules-light. We still got the job done, but enjoyed it. It was everything a role-playing game should be.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-08-31, 09:05 PM
My firsr tabletop RPG experience actually was thanks to a LARP game, a friend from school had spend weeks telling me about how awesome Roleplaying was so when he told me that there was going to be a LARP game I instantly took the oportunity.

The firs night at the camp, my friend asked me if I wanted to play tabletop D&D, and from that day on I was hooked up on the game.

My first character tabletop was a carbon copy of my character in the LARP an Orc Barbarian named Fenrir

Balain
2010-08-31, 09:13 PM
My first experience was when I was about 12. A neighbors cousin was visiting her and While I was hanging out there her cousin pulled out his red box Basic D&D. I made a level 1 elf and we he DMed a simple adventure. I believe it was the start of the Palace of the silver princess.

I was hooked and soon bought my own Basic D&D, then Expert D&D and then 1st Edition AD&D books. I remember when the DMG was the most expensive book at a huge $17 LOL

Zaydos
2010-08-31, 09:21 PM
My first experience was when I was 6. My uncle gave my older brother the Red Box and one of his friends DMed. We acted out our character's actions, hiding behind cars for cover and got TPKed by the mass of kobolds in the premade adventure. I was a magic-user whose only spell was "Armor" and who still managed to do more to the kobolds than the crossbow toting thief.

We then rolled up new characters with my older brother DMing and I was an elf. We won (and discovered Sleep is awesome).

oxybe
2010-08-31, 10:32 PM
me, my buddy, the 2nd ed AD&D core books and no real direction. it was a horrible yet fun, extremely railroaded and most of the rules ad-libbed.

we literally had no idea what we were doing at the start and the only thing we had to go on was my friend's few sessions played under his uncle when he was visiting.

Remmirath
2010-08-31, 11:07 PM
I was around six years old. My mom was running a mixed 1st/2nd edition AD&D game (mainly 1st, but we had a couple 2nd edition manuals), but didn't have very many players. I wanted to join in, so she helped me roll up a character (Nedla, human cleric - was going to be a paladin but didn't have good enough stats) and I did. I think that was the first time I'd stayed up late enough to see them play, or something, because I'm sure it wasn't the first time they played at our house.

I came in during the middle of the campaign, so I don't really know what had happened previously, but the part I remember was trekking through goblin-and-other-nasty-thing-infested tunnels (including tying a bunch of them together to make a goblin-ball for a reason I forget now), and there was also a very twisty cavern. And some kind of castle or something. My memory's kinda hazy. Hey, it was a long time ago.

I think it may have been The Keep on the Borderlands, come to think of it. I know we played that one, and it was either that first campaign I was in or the one right after it.

I wasn't very good at it, back then (after playing the character for some years I amended her alignment to the 'chaotic good' it always had been as opposed to the 'lawful good' it supposedly was, for instance), but I had a lot of fun and have been playing ever since. It probably helped that everybody else in the game knew what they were doing.

mootoall
2010-08-31, 11:11 PM
It's funny, but my first D&D experience was actually right here. I'd been a fan of OOTS for a while, and, rather than getting the jokes because I knew D&D, I decided to learn D&D to get the jokes. I thought it was pretty cool, and now here I am, with a 40-someodd page PbP that has been running for two months, around six or seven other PbPs that are not nearly as long, and no one in town who's interested in playing ...

arrowhen
2010-08-31, 11:11 PM
It was the summer of 1983. My best friend and next-door neighbor Jeremy and I were doing what we did on most summer evenings: climbing trees, arguing about who was cooler: Quiet Riot or Motley Crue, complaining about girls we hated but secretly had crushes on. Suddenly, Jeremy's eyes lit up.

"Oh yeah!" he exclaimed, "take a look at My Character!"

He pulled from the back pocket of his faded, discount-store Levi's knockoffs a creased and folded sheet of white paper, covered with unfamiliar words and strange symbols in slightly blurry photocopier ink, penciled in with smudged and barely legible words and numbers in Jeremy's typical preteen-boy scrawl.

One of the older boys in the neighborhood had gotten hold of something called "Dungeons & Dragons", where, as Jeremy explained, "You could be like a knight, or a wizard, or..."

Something clicked inside of my ten-year-old brain. Visions of glory and peril, of journeys into the unknown, the gleam of cold steel and the soft glow of golden treasures illuminated by dragon-fire.

I scrutinized the character sheet, trying to make sense of the tantalizing mystery before me. A jumble of words caught my eye... "DRAGON BREATH"... "POISON"... "MAGIC WAND"... "DEATH RAY"... "MAGIC STAFF"...

Wait! Death ray? What the hell? There's no stupid death rays in The Hobbit! (Thus I embarked on a career of traditional fantasy snobbery that continues unabated to this day.)

"Wait, so your... character... has all these things?" I asked, pointing to the list of saving throws.

"No, that's different," Jeremy explained, "Those are... um... different."

It turned out that while the older kid had been willing to humor Jeremy long enough to make a character with him, he'd never actually gotten a chance to play the game.

The conversation turned to other things, probably who was cooler: Prince or Michael Jackson.

The very next day, I managed to cajole my Mom into buying me my very own Basic D&D Boxed Set. I spent the afternoon dutifully coloring in the numbers on my sickly-green dice with the provided white crayon, poring over the rules, rolling up characters -- on plain note-paper, mind you; I wasn't about to waste an Official Character Sheet on some lame practice character!

Finally, a couple of weeks later, myself, Jeremy, and another kid our age from the neighborhood sat down in my living room to play our very first game of Dungeons and Dragons. The other kid, who had had a Basic Boxed Set for a whole month, was elected Dungeon Master by dint of his superior experience.

Jeremy and I rolled up characters -- he was a Magic-User named "Rock", while I was "Ironhelm" the Dwarf -- then spent an hour shopping. After that, with our ten foot poles, silvered mirrors, and Swords comma Normal in hand, we set off for the Caves of Chaos.

Suddenly, a Carrion Crawler emerged from behind some rocks! Dice were rolled! Ironhelm was paralyzed! Rock's magic missile missed! We argued! Pages were flipped! Rules were consulted! The dreaded phrase "The DM is always right!" was intoned.

And my Mom got sick of us arguing and kicked us out of the house, so we went and played Nerf football in the driveway.

mobdrazhar
2010-08-31, 11:58 PM
The first game i was ever in was a homebrew system at a con about 3 years ago. I went with a few mates who had roleplayed a bit before and between the 4 of us the game session was just us. The game was set in the Japanese feudal era. My actions in the final scene of the game threw him for a loop and as all the other players that he had run through the game playing that character had all done the expected result. however my char ended by commiting suicide due to what he had done.

Afterwards he pulled me aside and congratulated me for my originality in the situation. And that made me feel so much better about it as i was insecure about how i went.

From that day forward every con that i goto where he is running a game i'm always in it.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-01, 12:07 AM
What was your first RPG experience like? Did you have an experienced DM and party helping you along the way? Did you pick up an RPG book one day, decided it looked cool and got together with a group of friends who had never played either? Or was it something else entirely?

Hah. I remember it quite clearly. It was back in the days of 2nd ed. We gathered in someones smelly apartment, and I was curious about this D&D thing. One long haired hippy regaled me at length with tales of his characters, all of which were female elves. He talked in their voices, and showed me his portfolio of half naked pictures of them. The vastly overweight DM talked for at least two hours about the dangers of magic, and how it was really real. I rolled stats 3d6, in order. I had decentish con and str but nothing else, so a dwarven fighter I became. I spent the first portion of the night swinging and missing over and over again at an illusory monster that only elves could see through. I spent the second portion of the night locked in a box that a mischievous party member shoved me in.

I never played with that party again.

BobVosh
2010-09-01, 12:11 AM
*snip*

Wow, I just nostalgia HARD.

My first game was Rifts, unlike most people. First character was an atlantean T-Man, with a crab, sword, and armor tattoo. My best friend and this other kid who lived down the street, and I played. BF ran, OK just kinda watched, and I had no clue what I was doing and attacked a glitterboy.

Second character: Juicer. I ran away from anyone with a large gun and shiny armor. :D

We had to play on the front porch since OK wasn't allowed into BFs house, or anyone elses really. We stopped after the fire ants decided they had enough with our shenanigans. Also there were some of those cow killer ants (http://lancaster.unl.edu/pest/resources/cowkiller.shtml) that were scary tough, taking like 3 stomps. Which I now have learned are evidently called velvet ants, and are actually wasps. My hatred of wasps is even more well founded than I thought.

I never played with that party again.
Good call.

arrowhen
2010-09-01, 12:18 AM
We had to play on the front porch since OK wasn't allowed into BFs house, or anyone elses really.

Were you guys, like, lepers or something? :)

DragoonWraith
2010-09-01, 12:23 AM
Ernir (a member here) started a game at another forum we both frequent with four players, all of whom had some kind of D&D experience; I followed the game.

And I read the SRD. I read a lot of the SRD. And guides. Like TLN's Guide to Being Batman. And then I started a thread here, asking for suggestions about what good spells to choose for a Sorcerer would be, which Ernir saw and after a bit of a double-take (I had not actually yet asked to join the game because I didn't want to waste anyone's time when I wasn't ready), allowed me to join.

Thus, Veyr (seriously named after a typo of "very"), con-man and thieving bastard with more than a bit of magical skill, was born. He joined up with the crew (consisting of an NE Drow archer, NE Gnomish Druid, CN Human Rogue, and CN absolutely insane Halfling Fighter) after the "temporal anomaly" during which the Drow brewed up some "sleepyjuice" caused Veyr to teleport into the Halfling's (now week old) pot of spaghetti. A failed Grease and a few ridiculous lies later, and the four of em sent me, effectively at arrowpoint, to a brothel to fetch the Masterwork Theives' Tools that the Rogue needed, since they'd run afoul of an Orcish knight the last time they'd tried to get them.

In the following battle, Veyr managed to convince three guards not to investigate the battle at the back door while simultaneously using Grease to send the charging Orc into the backdoor guard, the back door, and out into the street - where the Halfling and Rogue tore them apart. He then convinced the other guards to walk into the trap one at a time, and later Charmed the brothel owner into giving us all kinds of great information.

The group finished by torching the place and leaving the call sign of whatever group the Orcish knight had apparently belonged to, who might have been some sort of religious fanatics. We didn't know and didn't care - that was purely about pinning the blame on anyone but us.

It was a great start, heh!

BobVosh
2010-09-01, 12:24 AM
Were you guys, like, lepers or something? :)

RPGers...Lepers...difference?

No he just wasn't allowed in my house, or my friends, because his mom couldn't see him...not that she ever looked for him in the front yard anyway.

Ravens_cry
2010-09-01, 01:14 AM
It really depends on your definition of role playing, or experience for that matter.
It's a bit of a family tradition that when we play Clue, Cluedo to the British, to play the 'character' you pick, like acting like an absent minded old professor with Professor Plumb, Colonel Mustard played the old gentry with hoary war stories about the Zulu, Miss Scarlet as the sultry vamp, Misses White as a dithering old maid type.

My first experience with D&D, for a given value of experience, was taking out the 3rd edition source books out of the local library for art reference and inspiration.

My first role playing experience outside of family was freeform chat-room role play on deviantArt where I am a member under this name. I have a variety of characters, many of whom I have drawn and uploaded, such as Kithst (http://ravens-cry.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d12r8bk) Jarte, (http://ravens-cry.deviantart.com/journal/14653149/) the last name coming from the free text editor which I used heavily at the time.
She spoke in third person and was very innocent.

My first actually playing D&D was when I went to the local comic book store and asked the guy at the desk about if he knew of any local groups looking for new members. He said there was a local group that met every Sunday and to come by that week. And so I did. They were trying out fourth edition and they asked if I wanted to play or watch my first time.I said I would play and I chose a pre-genned halfling rogue. I named my character Bob and I remember there was a Warlord called the Lord of Walmart.
I had a lot of fun and the rest is history.
In fact, the guy at the store is DMing the game I am in right now.

Kaje
2010-09-01, 01:38 AM
It was Returners Final Fantasy. Most of the group had dropped out of the game the previous week so another guy and I were invited to join. I decided to play human archer Syran Cole (first name stolen from a guest character on Enterprise, last name stolen from a regular on Babylon 5) who was on the run from the law. So we new players arrived in town and decided to try to steal a chocobo outside the tavern. We were confronted by its owner and I, having no rp experience and no idea of how these things work, told him matter-of-factly, "We're here to commandeer your chocobo." After all, it's what Jack Sparrow would've done. I was so young. So he made short work of me, and when I came to the constable had arrived and recognized me from my wanted poster. So I got brought to jail.

Yup, my first session and I managed to derail it so bad that we all decided to end the campaign there and start a new, much cooler one based on Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

Level8Mudcrab
2010-09-01, 02:02 AM
My first RPG experience was when I was 12, I think. One of my friends played D&D and a few small homebrew RPG systems. I never played D&D with him, but talked to him about it a few times. I also joined in a few games of his homebrew.

Later that year he moved away. I decided to give RPGs a shot myself, and made up a system based on his to play with my friends. We had a great time and over the next few years I made many little custom RPGs.

At a later date I remembered that friend talking about D&D and decided to give it a try myself. I DM'd the first my first D&D campaign and the players were eaten by a dragon soon after.

I've played a bunch of RPGs and am usually the DM for my group but for me it all started with little homebrew RPGs. Great fun and I still play them sometimes.

dsmiles
2010-09-01, 05:03 AM
I remember it like it was yesterday. (Not really, but I try to.)
I was 8, my sister was 14. We sat down with the shiny new Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Players' Handbook and rolled me up a Half-Elf Fighter (you know, back when being a half-elf meant something). Then she DMed for her boyfriend and me in an epic campaign (that I can't remember most of) but it ended with the cavalier in a suit of aluminum display armor (because he lost his real armor), and me without my battle axe or chain mail. Only the Grey Elf thief had any of her equipment left. Good times...good times...

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-01, 06:56 AM
I think is was 13 and my class was kind of the "extremely gifted" group so the teachers though "why not give them another reason to be bullied?" and thus the whole class was introduced to dnd, with only me and my friends expressing an interest. I was a half-elf fighter with weapon focus and specialisation, a nice big greatsword and a habbit of trying to use bluff for everything (with a modifier of about +3). Also i was very heroic and used to make reflex saves to jump in the way of attacks aimed at my squishier friends :smallbiggrin: Sadly he died at one point :(

After that campaign my friends ran a few one shots that never really worked. Then i rediscovered dnd when i found OOTs. :D

The Big Dice
2010-09-01, 07:15 AM
Does The Warlock of Firetop Mountain count?

If not, my dad gave me a D&D box set for christmas when I was 12 or so. Inside were two books and a sheet of card. One was pale blue and was the manual for the game, the other was kind of purple and was called The Keep on the Borderlands. The sheet of card was covered with numbers and claimed you could cut them out to use as dice, which I thought was a bit strange. The whole thing was a bit odd really and despite it being an interesting read and sort of seeming like my Fighting Fantasy books, it got put on the shelf.

A couple months later, I got a red box Basic Set and that made everything much clearer. I ran the little introductory adventure, filled the empty dungeon level with monsters and treasure that probably made no sense. Especially when I started adding my own dungeon levels to things.

Unusually, I started out as a GM, and I'd say 80% or more of my gaming time has been spent behind the Gm screen. Which might explain some of my stranger ideas on things...

Tasroth
2010-09-01, 07:29 AM
My dad ran a published 1st edition adventure for me, my mum and my brother back when I was... well, 9 at most, so my brother would have been 6 at most. I played a fighter, with poor stats because while I really wanted to be a fighter, we were still at "3d6 in order". We only played one session if I recall.

Through that part of my life, we had a load of D&D stuff (all 1st ed) around, and I spent quite a bit of time designing "dungeons" to include every monster I liked the look of (hey, I was a kid).

Through my teens, I kept coming back to the idea. Created a homebrew system around a specific game that I never ran, planned to start a real D&D campaign once (even got some characters created), planned another homebrew system...

Then I was introduced to some of the Games Workshop tabletop games by one of my friends, partly so our old high school group got to meet up once a week despite most of us now attending university.

At that point something went click in my brain, and a bit over a year later, I started DMing a 1st edition campaign for our group.

Six months later, the campaign had stalled (one stupidly long adventure planned, nothing ready when it finished), my friends gave my the 3.5 core rulebooks as a birthday present, and a few months after that I started my (technically ongoing) 3.5 campaign.

And that's more of a rambling story than I originally intended.

Tengu_temp
2010-09-01, 07:33 AM
My first game was the ever so popular in Poland (in year 1998 at least) WFRP, first edition. I was the DM, twelve years old, and improvised instead of running a premade scenario - you can imagine how well this combination went.

Severus
2010-09-01, 12:05 PM
I think it was fall 1978. I was over at an older friend's house, and they had a copy of Chivalry and Sorcery and I rolled up a character. I was mesmerized. Later he pulled out the players handbook, first edition that had just been published. I made up a cleric and we went into a dungeon. We met demagorgon in the first room and all died. The monster manual had just come out too and he wanted to play with the cool new monsters. Which tells you quite a lot. It was still enormous fun.

TricksyAndFalse
2010-09-01, 12:35 PM
My first RPG experience was in 1986 at age 10, playing AD&D. My mom had been playing since 1979 (and so I can't help but roll my eyes whenever the subject of women and D&D comes up). I'd grown up playing with her lead minis and making up stories about the pictures in the monster manual, so it didn't surprise her at all when I showed interest in playing the actual game.

As per AD&D rules, I rolled 3d6 in order. My highest score was dex, so my character was a thief. I named him Thacker for the alliteration. The weapon proficiencies table in the AD&D player's handbook only lists in a footnote that thieves can use swords, and due to missing this, Thacker began play wielding a quarterstaff.

My mom DMed, and ran my step-dad, my step-sister (both fighters) and I through a pre-published adventure she'd adapted to her home-brew world. Being ten, I missed out on some subtleties. The house of pleasure on the shady side of town does not sell the sort of fun that occurred to my ten year old mind, for instance.

The adventure of course started in a tavern, and we were approached by a hooded old man who'd been sitting in a darkened corner. After that, it was a dungeon crawl. We fought giant rats and goblins. We bribed a cleric not to attack us, and tried to do the same with an ogre. Nobody died, though I do think my mom fudged some of the die rolls. The next game, my step-dad played a cleric instead so that we had regular access to healing.

ExtravagantEvil
2010-09-01, 01:54 PM
Ah, that time I always will look on with nostalgia and happiness. 8th grade, age 13. A friend of mine in my Orchestra class started talking about it one day about D&D (apparently I was one of the few out of the family), asking if I wanted to play. And at the first word I was interested (A game where I can decieve, kill, and shoot magic! Awesome), so I haphazardly rolled up my first character, a Gnome Illusionist (such a great archetype) and was going down a path of darkness to NE :smallbiggrin:.

We ran through dungeons, and I had a good time, when I picked feats I thought were fun instead of optimal, randomly class hopping because I liked the concept (It ended 6th level, Illusionist/Druid with Leadership and a cohort rouge that solely went on coffee runs for me :smallbiggrin:), and looking on the books with a sense of naievity and almost childish innocence.

Then it ended up stopping after the summer, and I got back into the old gaming group this year. Still, even if the campaign was not the best the DM ran, and even if we did get TPK'ed by an aboleth, it will be truly the most fun I've ever had in D&D.

TheEmerged
2010-09-01, 02:04 PM
The year is 1980. I am in the fifth grade, it is toward the end of the school year. We're having one of those days where if you're done with your classwork for the year you essentially have a day-long recess, and unlike most of the kids in my sports-obsessed school I'm in the library. One of the other kids, Brian Wadleigh, brings in some books from "some new strategy game" he'd borrowed. I was fascinated by the weird dice and the idea that I could create a story character using them.

With more time on our hands than a grasp on the rules ( :smallbiggrin: ) we rolled up some characters. I'd decided on an elf fighter/magic user/thief (I remember wondering why anybody would be a single class if you could be three at once) and had a blast. It wasn't 12 hours later when I created my first "new class", something we'd call a Mary Sue today :smallredface:

Like someone earlier, I'd always been the type to take any excuse to pretend I was someone else when playing games. I was the type to name my pieces when playing Sorry(tm), etc. So while I may have been more of a wargamer than a roleplayer at first, there was never the harsh divide with me.

SimperingToad
2010-09-01, 02:15 PM
Summer of '78. 11 years old. Holmes Basic. Module B1.

Enough said.

Ajadea
2010-09-01, 02:19 PM
3.5, a few years back. I was a druid. We (10 PCs, 6 of whom were spellcasters) Spellcrafted magic rocket engines on to a mine cart with my produce flame spell as fuel, and jumped in. And blew up the tavern when we landed. Also, the town was named Drunkenorc.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-01, 02:22 PM
I played a halfling who killed a guy over one gold piece.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-01, 02:34 PM
June 8th, 2003, my the date of my first D&D session.

Was a 2nd ed Rogue named Faaza in a Forgotten Realms campaign via mIRC. Still have all the logs. To this day it still remains my favorite game to date.

If we're talking RPG period, I began with an online MUD game around... 1997? Accursed Lands. Best MUD ever. Played for nearly 7 years. When I started during its hayday... man, those were the days.

It's still running, but nowadays rarely meet more than half a dozen people. Back when I first started there were hundreds. Miss it still. It was RP mandatory. Seriously, you started shouting out 'where'z the treasures dewd?!' and something happened to you. Guard NPC's would cart you off or a bear would chase you off, or other things, depending on the locale at the time.

It taught me everything about RP.

Krazddndfreek
2010-09-01, 02:38 PM

For me, it was when I decided to check out this D&D thing that was behind NWN a few months ago. I bought some dice, absorbed as much of the SRD as possible, and invited two friends over, with me as DM. The first session was pretty much an utter trainwreck where they bowled over what little plot I had to begin with, and killed a bunch of stuff. But we had fun, so I guess that's what matters in the end.

Haha, this sounds almost exactly like what I did! Except, I had just one friend and a few siblings to DM for. But yeah, even though we messed everything up, and they were killing hydras at level six somehow, it was fun.

Otogi
2010-09-01, 02:40 PM
I remember I was around 10 and my dad brought out a 2nd Edition Quick-Start just out of the blue. Me and my two brothers pretty much chose characters by the greatest deductive reasoning we could come up with: whoever had a weapon we wanted next to their portrait, not even bothering with the class or name. My younger brother choose a Fighter (or maybe a Barbarian...), my twin chose a thief and I choose what would be my favorite classes and party role for the rest of my life: cleric. We first went into a dungeon, ready to do anything this brand new game we've never really seen. We went in, and the fighter fell in a whole. Then the thief got him out with some rope, and we went to fight some kind of orc leader. I'm not sure who was winning since the fight never finished, but I do have fond memories of the thief shooting my cleric with an arrow in the leg.

Good times, good times :smallsmile:

Meschaelene
2010-09-01, 03:15 PM
No kidding, my first adventure was Tomb of Horrors.

big teej
2010-09-01, 03:47 PM
My first RPG experience (table top wise anyway) was a game of WFRP 2e, (warhammer fantasy roleplay) it was actually ran by my father, whom is a wargamer and worked for gamesworkshop for many years, he knew the ins and outs of the setting sevenfold. although, when i played for the first time, i knew warhammer fantasy, and played a little, (though i mainly play 40k) so alot of the little things about the settings was lost on me, but to hear my father as the GM and a few friends play who knew the setting better than me was really.....exciting i suppose. it was great to see them play on all the things they knew, to me it was more about learning how things worked, so i suppose i missed out a lot in that game, but as i learnt i enjoyed it entirely. and since then have been playing roleplays non stop (well... atleast once a week sometimes twice) ive been doing this for around 5 to 6 years now.

I have to say.... I began to literally ooze jealousy when I read this, I love warhammer, half of my total library are warhammer novels, I love the setting, and the game, and all the inspiration it has given me for DnD characters.
-jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous jealous-

as for my first time EVER
with a table top RPG (discounting prior warhammer 40k experience)
was with me, my friend, my girlfriend (at the time) and his girlfriend (at the time)

I played an ogre fighter/thingy with a gyrspike

it was... interesting to say the least..

my first experience with a serious group who had the slightest clue what we were doing was either the year after that or MUCH later that year.

which gave birth to Cog Skull taker, NE human barbarian of KHOOOOORNE!!!!!