PDA

View Full Version : Alaskans In the Playground?

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-08-31, 10:21 PM
I was just curious if anyone from Alaska graces these forums?

I'm trying to find a job up there so I can move there for awhile and pursue a few dreams. Looking for any advice I can get.

Innis Cabal
2010-08-31, 10:30 PM
I feel this is appropriate. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Exposure)

Keld Denar
2010-09-01, 01:37 AM
I used to work in Prudhoe Bay, but thats like, not really part of Alaska. Its more like Cania drifted too far along the neutral axis and became co-terminous with the Prime at that location. People don't live there. They just plane shift fly up to work, then plane shift fly back to the real world. So yea, I guess it really doesn't count. My aunt, however, lives in Anchorage and works as a trust officer at a bank, and two of my cousins live up there and work/go to school. What is it you hope to do in Alaska?

Do keep in mind that Alaskans eat more ice cream per capita than any other state in the union. Its a fact. I hope you like ice cream.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-01, 01:42 AM
Well, open to pretty much anything. Sent off a few things to the Glaciar Bay resort in hopes of being a trail guide/kayak instructor or perhaps a photographer. I'm pretty well versed in those.

Heard they pay well for surveying, but most seem to only take those who've a degree in it (don't ask me why).

Basically something to keep me afloat while I explore and work on my writing on my off days.

And ice-cream is awesome.

Midnight Son
2010-09-01, 04:35 PM
I was raised in Alaska. Something you might consider is looking into the tour companies (http://graylinealaska.com/) in Southeast Alaska. Look in Juneau, Ketchikan or Sitka. They do bus tours or you could possibly get onto their boat tours. My mom worked on a whale watching tour boat for a while and my dad did a bus tour in Juneau for a couple years. It's mostly just summer work, though, so you'd either have to come back south in the winter or find something else up there. I do know that quite a few young folk go up there for the summer between college years. I know a few who decided to stay, since they liked it so much.

I will also tell you that, were it not for the winters, I'd still be up there. Alaska in the summer is absolutely the most beautiful place I've ever been and is a true paradise for anyone who loves the outdoors and the wild places of the world.

THAC0
2010-09-01, 07:52 PM
I'm in Anchorage. Alaska is the most awesome place in the world!

If you like the outdoors and are up for hard work, fall is a great time to sign on with a guide company. It's a LOT of work, though, carrying a lot of weight.

Xyk
2010-09-01, 07:55 PM
I'm trying to find a job up there so I can move there for awhile and pursue a few dreams. Looking for any advice I can get.

I see you're avoiding the Willy Loman predicament. Move to Alaska before it's too late and you become a poor, frustrated salesman!

Deth Muncher
2010-09-01, 09:17 PM
I see you're avoiding the Willy Loman predicament. Move to Alaska before it's too late and you become a poor, frustrated salesman!

Damn you, English class. I know what you're talking about. >_<

(Though I'm an English major, so I'm supposed to do that.)