PDA

View Full Version : AoO stacking rules?

Tyndmyr
2010-08-31, 11:58 PM
As most horrific thoughts in D&D do, this one started with Pun Pun. You all know and love him, but nobody ever considers the familiar.

As part of the traditional loop, you and the familiar swap bestowing abilities on each other. This means the familiar is also godlike, which brings up all sorts of interesting scenarios.

Let's say they have both pumped their stats arbitrarily high, then grabbed combat reflexes. Before they grab every other ability under the sun, one of them playfully punches the other. This provokes an AoO, allowing the other to punch back.

Does this not also provoke an AoO? What happens then?

Cespenar
2010-09-01, 12:03 AM
If you’re unarmed, you don’t normally threaten any squares and thus can’t make attacks of opportunity.

This? White text?

Tetrasodium
2010-09-01, 12:05 AM
This? White text?

You are armed and threaten at all times if you have a natural weapon however. Hmm maybe it depends on the type of natural weapon too, dunno.

Ashiel
2010-09-01, 12:06 AM
As most horrific thoughts in D&D do, this one started with Pun Pun. You all know and love him, but nobody ever considers the familiar.

As part of the traditional loop, you and the familiar swap bestowing abilities on each other. This means the familiar is also godlike, which brings up all sorts of interesting scenarios.

Let's say they have both pumped their stats arbitrarily high, then grabbed combat reflexes. Before they grab every other ability under the sun, one of them playfully punches the other. This provokes an AoO, allowing the other to punch back.

Does this not also provoke an AoO? What happens then?

I see two outcomes. Either A) you can't make an AoO with an unarmed strike because you're not considered armed with it, and if you were then you wouldn't provoke an attack. B) You can and each would continue their AoOs until they each ran out of AoOs based on their dexterity modifiers (which with Pun-Pun could be any number really).

Saya
2010-09-01, 12:10 AM
I think I'm missing something, how do you get AoO from someone AoOing you?

EDIT: oh wait, using an unarmed attack. I guess they would just AoO each other for dex mod +1 times in 6 seconds?

BobVosh
2010-09-01, 12:15 AM
You can only do one AoO per round per target?

Newbieshoes
2010-09-01, 12:16 AM
I guess maybe a more logical way to ask this is I'm holding 2 handaxes. I try to throw one at you in melee range. (why, I do not know) This provokes. You in turn attempt to trip me without improved trip.

Edit: Not exactly, BobVosh if the same target provkes multiple times and you have combat reflexes each action of theirs that provokes can grant an opprotunity attack (or it doesn't matter how Uber your Charger is, you got eaten by a Dragon)

Tyndmyr
2010-09-01, 12:24 AM
You can only do one AoO per round per target?

Well, per provoking action. And there's combat reflexes.

Perhaps unarmed wasn't the right example. Any action that can be taken in response to an AoO that itself provokes is sufficient. It seems that it such a situation, all the attacks stack up, resolving in order from last to first until either someone runs out, or someone dies. If truly infinite stats are available though, it becomes an infinite action loop.

BobVosh
2010-09-01, 12:30 AM
Huh. I just looked it up, I could have sworn you could only make one AoO per turn on a single character. Maybe that was a 3.0 rule. Maybe I'm loosing my mind.

Possibly both. Also since its a kobold and a snake they should both have NW. Is it still a snake and kobold?

FelixG
2010-09-01, 12:32 AM
I am also fairly sure that its 1 AoO per target per turn despite how many times they provoke, can someone cite me where it says you can attack the same target multiple times if they continue to provoke?

Frosty
2010-09-01, 12:33 AM
Let's say you both have weapons but not the Imprved Disarm feat. If one tries to disarm the other can use the AoO attempt to disarm the first, but that provokes and so on...

RebelRogue
2010-09-01, 12:37 AM
From the SRD:

Combat Reflexes and Additional Attacks of Opportunity

If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.

Escheton
2010-09-01, 12:46 AM
I like the idea of the two of them in an epic battle that lasts 3 seconds. But don't think we can work this out crunchwise.

Saya
2010-09-01, 12:50 AM
Well, don't forget there's also the fact that AoO's are a "Do you want" action. So technically despite it being the fact that each can do dex mod+1 AoO in a chain, they can simply stop when it becomes too stupid.

Frosty
2010-09-01, 01:55 AM
With Epic combat reflexes, the number of AoOs per round is now unlimited.