PDA

View Full Version : Share your secrets on running published modules (notes, organization etc)

Ozreth
2010-09-01, 02:31 AM
So if anybody saw my last thread, I've decided to run Greyhawk. I don't DM much and this will be the largest module I have ever ran, by about 150 pages haha. It is very daunting.

Typically when I run published modules I will get my hand on the PDF and literally crop all of the narration, plot twists, and encounters straight out of it, pasting them into a word document in whichever order I hope for the events to transpire, leaving out all of the extra stuff that just clutters pages and makes it harder to stay on track. I can then just follow my word document with ease, having my laptop on or near the table. No problem.

BUT, I've decided that I want to go back to using a physical copy of the module and a notebook, but when I used to do this it was with very short modules. I have no idea how to begin taking notes and organizing something as large as Expedition to Greyhawk.

So, any good advice to give? I can't imagine re writing the entire thing into a notebook like I do with a PDF. Do you write in your modules? Notecards? Stickies? Timelines? Any advice would be awesome!

dsmiles
2010-09-01, 04:54 AM
My secret:
Read: Don't run published modules if it can be avoided.
I try to run customized adventures for my groups, they tend to be interested in an adventure more if it's customized to their characters (bring in a little history, a little advancement of their own personal goals, etc.).

EDIT: Basically, re-fluff the adventure to suit your players, if need be.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-01, 07:12 AM
I browse through the book beforehand, getting a feel for balance of each area. I also try to check for areas in the module that are sparse on direction, risking players clueless or wandering. If they exist, I'll consider adding some subtle clues. I also try to consider how it'll integrate with the overall campaign, and try to ensure it does so smoothly.

Generally, it's pretty easy. I reccomend bookmarks for larger modules that keep monster stats in the back, like RHoD.

Ozreth
2010-09-01, 03:52 PM
Great idea with book marks for monsters in the back!
I wonder if greyhawk has a setup like that?

I guess I'll probably put post its on each page as well that give me a quick summary of each page, and I can refer to the actual text if I need to dig deeper.

kc0bbq
2010-09-01, 04:39 PM
Great idea with book marks for monsters in the back!
I wonder if greyhawk has a setup like that?

I guess I'll probably put post its on each page as well that give me a quick summary of each page, and I can refer to the actual text if I need to dig deeper.Get a notebook or three ring binder with dividers. Catalog as many of the quirky things that happen. Stupid little details that start out as just adding a little flair to an inn can end up being really important things to the PCs. This was all based around a large campaign style adventure module.

One of the towns that the PCs were stuck in for over a year (real time and in game) had an inn with an invention of mine, "green stuff". It was an herbal liqueur that never had a description any more detailed than that. There was a Con check when it was drunk, with a secondary if the first was failed. The first was for massive intoxication, and the second for deep sleep. They were easy checks, and should have been trivial to make for any dwarves. Not one dwarf ever made a check out of dozens and dozens of attempts. So the little throwaway bit of flair turned into a huge deal, everyone wanted to take up the challenge. The battlerager dwarf in the party went between being obsessed with mastering it and being really wary of it and back again. One attempt, bang, sleeping dwarf.

When we revisit that world, the PCs will go thousands of miles out of their way just to go back. Over some stupid, off-the-cuff idea that grew a mind of it's own. That one thing made the town important to them. They defended it when they really had no reason to, and went on huge campaigns of philanthropy there. And all of it made sense at the time.

You'll always have to fill in gaps, or have players latch onto things that wouldn't otherwise matter. So take lots of little notes and learn to organize them so you can find them again. You never know what silly little detail becomes the thing that the players latch on to as the shining moment of any campaign.