PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help needed for feat choices!

Lord_Gareth
2010-09-01, 04:50 AM
Hey all! So you know, I'm not trying to optimize. I don't need to survive a slaughter campaign, take my revenge on a DM, or anything like that. I'm just trying not to suck.

That being said, the game in question involves 32 point buy, average HP/WBL, and this homebrew class (http://plothook.net/RPG/showpost.php?p=585526&postcount=11), used more or less as presented. My race is elf, and I'm NG, with the following spread: 15/13/12/12/10/18 (both stat points spent on Charisma).

What feats should I take to not suck and/or contribute something useful? Available sources include the SRD, CompAdv, CompWar, FRCS, PGtF, BoED, Libris Mortis, and MMV, as well as any homebrew that the DM reviews and approves.

Thanks in advance for the help!

P.S. If you felt like critiquing the class, it has its own thread on the Homebrew forums. PEACHes are appreciated!

Quirp
2010-09-01, 05:08 AM
The class looks like a good fighter with some debuff qualities. You could just use theese abilities by jumping into the middle of your enemies and tripping them with a spiked chain. Feats like Improved Trip, Knockback, Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Spiked Chain) will help you there. If you donīt want to go into the front line use your whip proficiency to trip from the second row. Your debuff powers ca easily soften up the enemies from both ranges, so your caster buddies have an easier time doing to them whatever they want to do.

tiercel
2010-09-01, 07:41 AM
With that much charisma, it seems reasonable to look for decent battlefield control feats powered by your highest stat. The issue is if you can get access to books outside of the list you mentioned.

Frightful Presence (Draconomicon) isn't shabby; you already blow the doors off the charisma requirement and the Intimidate required ranks are a class skill for you; it basically gives you the ability of the same name that critters in the Monster Manual get (AoE save-or-shaken when you attack, but only for foes less HD than you).

PHB II has Intimidating Strike, which is (unsurprisingly) powered by Intimidate ranks, letting you demoralize to shaken as a free action when you attack (and for longer than one round).

Complete Mage has the Fey Heritage line of feats, if you want to sink an investment into a line of feats -- several of the (Sp) powers are pretty nice and are all charisma-based for DCs.

You could crank your Will saves with Force of Personality (Complete Adventurer), but your class already has good Will saves, hmm...

Malbordeus
2010-09-01, 07:55 AM
if you can persuade your DM to let you take it

theres a Widened? Enlarged? improved? aura feat in the BoVD that doubles the radius of your auras.

Otherwise theres Daunting Presence in the LM - making a enemy shaken for 10 mins is pretty handy for all the saves your kicking off with your curses, and helps reduce the chance of them hitting you.

ability Focus Aura or Curse? the +2 is pretty handy.

failing that, for pure melee, try a scythe or halbred with powerattack, wombat expertise and Improved Trip, i seem to recall a feat somewhere that allows you to once per day automaticly threaten a critical if you hit... but you still need to confirm it... funtimes with a x4 crit weapon

Aharon
2010-09-01, 08:18 AM
Hm...
Depending on what definition of Encounter is used, Quick Draw might be useful. In printed adventures, every scene, including social stuff like gathering information, is considered an encounter.

If that is the case in your campaign, you might want to use those encounters that happen before battles to charge lots of weapons with your cursed strike ability, and then use quick draw during the fight to curse multiple foes each round - use unenchanted shurikens or something similarly cheap, and use your charming personality to ask a caster in your group to use Greater Magic Weapon on them.

This use even seems intended by whoever created the class, as Cursed Strikes lacks the line The Hexblade may only have up to one weapon charged with a Cursed Strike at any given time., while Unraveling Strike does have such a line.

Telonius
2010-09-01, 08:56 AM
wombat expertise

I think that's only available for Druids. :smallbiggrin:

Mage Slayer might be a good feat, if you're building the guy along anti-caster lines.

Person_Man
2010-09-01, 10:27 AM
I'm blocked from the site you linked to. Can you report it here?

Keld Denar
2010-09-01, 01:13 PM
Dreadful Wrath (PGtF) and Imperious Command (DotU) sound like very worthwhile feats for this character. Scare the bajebus out of them, then hex them into submission. The problem with Intimidating Strike is that its a standard action and can't be combined with anything else, while Dreadful Wrath triggers whenever you charge or full attack.

Don't forget that feats like Martial Study, Martial Stance, Shape Soulmeld, Open X Chakra, Bind Vestage, and Improved Bind Vestage give you access to a massive host of abilities. I'm partial to Shape Soulmeld to get Displacer Mantle, and then at level 12, getting Open Lesser Chakra (Shoulder), binding Displacer Mantle there, and having 24-7 Lesser Displacement. You could also get it from an item, but I like this way too.

Fixt.

Lord_Gareth
2010-09-01, 02:55 PM
Folks, I did do you all the courtesy of linking my available sources up above. I can't take martial feats, soulmelds, draconomicon content, et cetera. I can't use it.

Keld Denar
2010-09-01, 03:00 PM
CWarrior gives you both Staggering Strike and Three Mountains style. Very good synergy with the whole debuff-attack style. Staggering Strike would involve a dip in Rogue or similar SA class, but would still be decent. Three Mountains restricts your weapon choice down to Morningstar or Greatclub, but Morningstar is kinda nice in that its simultaneously 2 different damage types (which is funny, because as a piercing weapon, by RAW it functions perfectly underwater, regardless of the physics involved!).