PDA

View Full Version : back to skool

super dark33
2010-09-01, 07:34 AM
Well today i have started my first day at 9th grade.

When are you finishing your summer vacation?

Raistlin1040
2010-09-01, 09:46 AM
My summer vacation officially ends in 45 minutes.

Serpentine
2010-09-01, 09:47 AM
Based on the title, this is a good thing for you :smallwink: :smalltongue:

SilverSheriff
2010-09-01, 09:49 AM

Based on his location?

Serpentine
2010-09-01, 09:49 AM
Why? Whether English is his first or second or third language, more education is the best way to improve it.

SilverSheriff
2010-09-01, 09:52 AM
Why? Whether English is his first or second or third language, more education is the best way to improve it.

I guess, but still... he's doing quite well otherwise, hell I know people who speak english as their only language who have failed at spelling even simpler words.

Ignition
2010-09-01, 09:54 AM
I haven't had a summer vacation without some form of school/work in...

uh...

Way Too Long (tm). Possibly ever.

Depending on the way the next couple years go, I may be going back to school, but I haven't decided for what yet. I'm not sure if more/different education is what I need, or if I should pursue other credentials that aren't strictly speaking from a school/college.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-09-01, 10:26 AM

Or perhaps he is making a reference to the Nigel Molesworth books (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molesworth_(books)) (Down with Skool, How to be Topp, Whizz for Atomms and Back in the Jug Agane). That was my immediate reaction to the title - and the use of the "skool" spelling is quite often used ironically, as any fule kno*.

(Sigh) Showing my age again...

(* The phrase from the Molesworth books that most people use)

Don Julio Anejo
2010-09-01, 02:25 PM
Or perhaps he thinks he's too kool for skool :amused:
J/K

Gullara
2010-09-01, 04:49 PM
Or perhaps he thinks he's too kool for skool :amused:
J/K

Such poor grammar. What are kids learning in school these days?

Volthawk
2010-09-01, 04:52 PM
Just need to go in for a hour on Friday to get registered and the like, then school starts proper next week. And now ****'s getting serious.

Jokasti
2010-09-01, 05:00 PM
I've been in the slammer for a month now. Lucky newfangled kids and their long summers.

Castaras
2010-09-01, 05:16 PM
I go back Monday. Although Friday afternoon I'll be in school talking to teachers about what I'm doing this year.

Rowsen
2010-09-01, 05:16 PM
I guess, but still... he's doing quite well otherwise, hell I know people who speak english as their only language who have failed at spelling even simpler words.

Oh god, that reminds me of this girl in my Year 11 English class. English as a primary language, no mental disorders, not foundation English or anything like that. Pronounced 'town' as 'tawn'. I kid you not.

Ranger Mattos
2010-09-01, 05:30 PM

Hey, me too. It wasn't that bad, though. I found out that we might get to dissect sharks in honors bio.

nihilism
2010-09-01, 05:31 PM
just finished my first day of high school.

it was boring as hell we didn't do anything the teachers just droned on about what we would be doing by the end i was begging to start work. for some reason they all repeated the rules i heard "don't dress like a slut", "don't where a hat", "no drugs", "no weapons" etc repeated a thousand times. all good rules of course but every class 15 minutes discussing the rules.

Dubious Pie
2010-09-01, 06:13 PM
I am starting "real" high school next week (lucky me), be yesterday I had the standard "here are the stupid rules" day. Highlights include: "No knives, makeshift shivs (!), or any other potential weapons allowed".

Don Julio Anejo
2010-09-01, 06:14 PM
I am starting "real" high school next week (lucky me), be yesterday I had the standard "here are the stupid rules" day. Highlights include: "No knives, makeshift shivs (!), or any other potential weapons allowed".
Eh, when I was in middle school in the states, running around holding a pen was considered "wielding a weapon"

Andraste
2010-09-01, 06:31 PM
First day of 11th grade is in exactly a week for me.

Vaynor
2010-09-01, 06:47 PM

My college, in the list of examples of disallowed weaponry, specifically included nunchucks.

Gullara
2010-09-01, 07:15 PM
My college, in the list of examples of disallowed weaponry, specifically included nunchucks.

And if they hadn't?:smallamused:

Xefas
2010-09-01, 07:32 PM

My middle school actually created one of those awkward overly-specific rules directly because of the actions of my best friend at the time. Its been like...8 years, so I don't know if they still have it, but...

"The dress code specifically prohibits wearing three-piece suits, dinner jackets, tuxedos, and other similar items."

Why? Well, the school implemented a dresscode whereby we were not allowed to wear clothes with bright colors (the example they gave was stuff like Hawaiian shirts, but they enforced even something like a bright red T-shirt), clothes with visible logos, or sleeveless shirts, and our shirts had to be tucked in at all times. Pants must be belted to the waist at all times, skirts have to be X inches from the waist, jeans may not have "embellishments" (they'd even get on people for having torn knees), etc.

So, well, he just started wearing fancy black-tie apparel to school every day (which was hilarious, considering we were like 11 at the time).

It took about a month, but after he was continuously harassed by the entire faculty about it, they finally put in a specific amendment prohibiting what he was doing. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

EDIT: Actually on topic, I go back to culinary school in a few days. But that is an instance of AWESOME FUN TIME :smallbiggrin:, rather than "Aw, crap, I gotta go back to school... :smallannoyed:"

RS14
2010-09-01, 10:23 PM

Lame. :smallyuk:

Prohibited items on my campus include "decorative swords" and siege weapons.

Cealocanth
2010-09-01, 10:41 PM
Eh, when I was in middle school in the states, running around holding a pen was considered "wielding a weapon"

Tell me about it. I got suspended for brinnging an orange peeler (http://static.promopeddler.com/prodpics/prodimgs/4620000/4627455.jpg) to school.

Serpentine
2010-09-01, 10:47 PM
I went to school with a real scythe, once. They took it off me :smallfrown: Didn't even occur to me that it would be considered a weapon (nor my mother, as she took a picture of me with it before sending me off to school), not least because it was more rust than metal, and I'd have better luck bludgeoning someone with the stick it was attached to than cutting with the blade.
I can't remember if I got it back. Don't know where it is now, regardless :smallfrown:

Gullara
2010-09-01, 11:08 PM
Silly Americans* and their weapons. Such things aren't even mentioned in Canada. At least not the small town I grew up in:smallbiggrin:

*Americans may not be silly

Moff Chumley
2010-09-01, 11:48 PM
On my second week of being a Junior in highschool... (11th grade, twelfth year, for those non-Americans among us...)

Gullara
2010-09-01, 11:50 PM
On my second week of being a Junior in highschool... (11th grade, twelfth year, for those non-Americans among us...)

Silly Americans*, just say grade 11

Recaiden
2010-09-02, 12:02 AM
I've been a freshman in college for a good week now.

Gullara
2010-09-02, 12:18 AM
I've been a freshman in college for a good week now.

I'll be a freshman in college in a good week from now:smallbiggrin:

SDF
2010-09-02, 12:57 AM
Silly Americans* and their weapons. Such things aren't even mentioned in Canada. At least not the small town I grew up in:smallbiggrin:

You do realize that the first example of no weapons came from a Canadian, right?

I never got any of that talk. I went to private school for my primary and high school education where we had uniforms or dress codes, and no one even had to mention weapons. At uni they have rules you can look up, sure, but I've never heard a teacher talk about them. (Maybe if you took a criminal justice class?)

Of course you don't get that silly talk on Utah uni campuses where it's a state law they allow concealed carry on the grounds. :P

Gullara
2010-09-02, 01:00 AM
You do realize that the first example of no weapons came from a Canadian, right?

I'm not sure who your referring to, and plus I'm pretty sure my post was unrelated to his/hers. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

SDF
2010-09-02, 01:09 AM
You said;

Silly Americans* and their weapons. Such things aren't even mentioned in Canada.

Referring to the conversation of weapons on school campuses, and a common American stereotype... fine, but the conversation was originally brought up by a Canadian - assuming a cold Canadian hell is located in Canada.

for some reason they all repeated the rules i heard "don't dress like a slut", "don't where a hat", "no drugs", "no weapons" etc repeated a thousand times.

Gullara
2010-09-02, 01:32 AM
You said;

Referring to the conversation of weapons on school campuses, and a common American stereotype... fine, but the conversation was originally brought up by a Canadian - assuming a cold Canadian hell is located in Canada.

Hmm, well that's obviously northern Canada, which is near Alaska, which is part of the States, so HA. That makes sense right?:smalltongue:

onthetown
2010-09-05, 03:23 PM
If it came from Canada, I'm guessing it was from Toronto or Calgary or some such thing.

He's got a point, though. They're officially allowed to assume that we're freezing cold year-round even in southern Ontario, for the purpose of this thread now. :smalltongue:

I'm just in a small province, but the anti-weapons thing had to be taken seriously after kids were being general delinquents. We even got our first bomb and terrorist drill in my last year of high school, where we would hide under desks and in the corners of classrooms completely silently for fifteen minutes. It was boring, but shutting up the jocks and morons for fifteen precious minutes was well worth it.

Eon
2010-09-06, 10:25 AM
I start my 1st day of high school tomorrow... :smallfrown:

I'm trying to deny it.

edit: 1st day of high school :smalleek:
(I'm supposed to get ~2 hours of homework daily, and I have swimming starting too on M, W and F. I also have Driver's Ed. Swimming goes until December, where I start swimming 6 days a week... :smalleek:)

Gullara
2010-09-06, 12:13 PM

I'm trying to deny it.

(I'm supposed to get ~2 hours of homework daily, and I have swimming starting too on M, W and F. I also have Driver's Ed. Swimming goes until December, where I start swimming 6 days a week... :smalleek:)

Maybe its just me, but high school is really nothing to worry about. Although I never found school hard, so maybe that's just me. But if you have anywhere near 2 hours of homework every day one of your teachers probably hates you.

Elentari
2010-09-06, 12:33 PM

I'm trying to deny it.

I was on a swim team too, during the school year. Lots of work (if you count schoolwork+practices) but it is worth it.

Augh, my school starts tomorrow! *flees to pack school supplies*

Ranger Mattos
2010-09-06, 01:52 PM
Maybe its just me, but high school is really nothing to worry about. Although I never found school hard, so maybe that's just me. But if you have anywhere near 2 hours of homework every day one of your teachers probably hates you.

Yeah, I get an hour of homework every day from math ALONE. The horror.

Gullara
2010-09-06, 02:53 PM
Yeah, I get an hour of homework every day from math ALONE. The horror.

:smalleek: Man I dislike teachers that do that. How much repetition do they think people need? I had a really good teacher for calculus, so I learned everything and didn't have hours of homework.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-09-06, 04:26 PM
My daughter starts secondary school (the UK equivalent of high School, I think) tomorrow.

Oh, the humanity...

(At work, I am the only DBA in out of three, and we have a major release this weekend. It's going to be a stressful week for my wife...)

Dallas-Dakota
2010-09-06, 04:36 PM
Started two weeks ago at my internship, muchos fun, pretty relaxed. MUCH WORK. I came back home a hour ago. And no, not from clubbing/going to the pub. From internship.

Luckily I really like filming and time passes quickly.

Sometimes too quickly, we've shot like 2 hours of material for a clip of 3 minutes.:smalleek:

Thufir
2010-09-06, 04:52 PM
Or perhaps he is making a reference to the Nigel Molesworth books (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molesworth_(books)) (Down with Skool, How to be Topp, Whizz for Atomms and Back in the Jug Agane). That was my immediate reaction to the title - and the use of the "skool" spelling is quite often used ironically, as any fule kno*.

(Sigh) Showing my age again...

I thought the same, but it shows the age of my parents rather than me.

My middle school actually created one of those awkward overly-specific rules directly because of the actions of my best friend at the time. Its been like...8 years, so I don't know if they still have it, but...

"The dress code specifically prohibits wearing three-piece suits, dinner jackets, tuxedos, and other similar items."

Why? Well, the school implemented a dresscode whereby we were not allowed to wear clothes with bright colors (the example they gave was stuff like Hawaiian shirts, but they enforced even something like a bright red T-shirt), clothes with visible logos, or sleeveless shirts, and our shirts had to be tucked in at all times. Pants must be belted to the waist at all times, skirts have to be X inches from the waist, jeans may not have "embellishments" (they'd even get on people for having torn knees), etc.

So, well, he just started wearing fancy black-tie apparel to school every day (which was hilarious, considering we were like 11 at the time).

It took about a month, but after he was continuously harassed by the entire faculty about it, they finally put in a specific amendment prohibiting what he was doing. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Lame. If someone wants to wear a tux to school, why shouldn't they? It certainly shouldn't merit harassment.
Well, unless it's a normal school which has a school uniform. Then fair enough.

My daughter starts secondary school (the UK equivalent of high School, I think) tomorrow.

No, I posted this explanation somewhere else recently. AFAIK, american high school covers the same years as UK high school, that is, years 9-13 (Y12-13 being 6th form over here). Whereas secondary school covers years 7-13.

Eon
2010-09-06, 09:09 PM

I took all 4 core classes (math, english, social studies and science) as honor classes, and my math teacher told me to expect at least an hour of homework daily... And 3/4 of the honors classes are 1st semester... :smalleek:

Good thing driver's ed is ending soon...

Also... I don't wanna go... :smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-06, 09:12 PM
My final year of high school starts tomorrow. :smalleek: Schoolwork, college apps, AND swim team. :eek:

Social life? What's a social life?

Flickerdart
2010-09-06, 09:21 PM
Starting my 2nd year of university in a week. Not particularly excited. All the fun stuff is going to happen in the last year.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-09-07, 06:34 AM
I thought the same, but it shows the age of my parents rather than me.

In all fairness, it was my dad's copy...

No, I posted this explanation somewhere else recently. AFAIK, american high school covers the same years as UK high school, that is, years 9-13 (Y12-13 being 6th form over here). Whereas secondary school covers years 7-13.

In my day UK Secondary school was ages ~12 and up (thus speaks a past pupil of Gaynes Secondary School, back in the days when we had a 6th form...).

The bands were "Infants" or "Primary" (roughly ages 5 to 7), "Junior" (roughly ages 7 to 11) and "Secondary" (ages ~12 upward).

Although they have probably changed the terminology since then...I have never got used to the "year n" method of describing classes.

Serpentine
2010-09-07, 06:46 AM
I start my 1st day of high school tomorrow... :smallfrown:I was about to be all "Ohay you're about the same age as my nephew!", but then I remembered your high school is different to ours.

For good measure: Preschool/Kindegarten is about 4 or 5. Primary school is years 1-6, age around about 6-11. High school is years 7-12, age around 12-17.
(ages based on the age I turned half-way through each year, but I started earlier than most)

littlekKID
2010-09-07, 10:10 AM

And I thought that was an Invader Zim reference :smallfrown:

Castaras
2010-09-07, 10:20 AM
Just finished second day of school.

Except for the fact that I have for the past 2 days come home with a headache from the screaming little people (This year's year 7s screech so much and so loud! I can't even block them out with my MP3 player!), doesn't feel any different.

littlekKID
2010-09-07, 10:42 AM

can't they just give you school uniform and get that over with?

Thufir
2010-09-07, 11:59 AM
In my day UK Secondary school was ages ~12 and up (thus speaks a past pupil of Gaynes Secondary School, back in the days when we had a 6th form...).

The bands were "Infants" or "Primary" (roughly ages 5 to 7), "Junior" (roughly ages 7 to 11) and "Secondary" (ages ~12 upward).

Although they have probably changed the terminology since then...I have never got used to the "year n" method of describing classes.

Secondary is still the same, but for me Primary was what you call Primary and Junior combined. Though actually, I think there was a division between the two, but they were still in the same school.
Alternatively, 3-tier system has First (Y1-4, age 5-9), Middle (Y5-8, age 9-13) and High (Y9-13, age 13-18).

Eon
2010-09-07, 03:33 PM
Ya... only an essay the first day :smallcool:

Manga Shoggoth
2010-09-07, 04:20 PM
Secondary is still the same, but for me Primary was what you call Primary and Junior combined. Though actually, I think there was a division between the two, but they were still in the same school.
Alternatively, 3-tier system has First (Y1-4, age 5-9), Middle (Y5-8, age 9-13) and High (Y9-13, age 13-18).

As a matter of fact, my Junior and Primary were (almost) the same school - Branfil Infants School and Branfil Junior Schoool. The two were next door to each other, but the Junior school was on higher ground.

Ah. The memories...

toasty
2010-09-07, 04:58 PM

When are you finishing your summer vacation?

I finished 2 weeks ago. :smallbiggrin: So far, college (University for you Brits) isn't as scary as some have described it.

Froogleyboy
2010-09-07, 05:00 PM
School for me started back about 3 weeks ago. Bleh, it sucks. I seriously despise that place. Mainly the teachers. Can't wait 'till college

nihilism
2010-09-07, 07:41 PM
well 4 days in surprisingly little work so far. on the way home i was pleasantly surprised to find out i will be sharing the bus with a group of hilarious preteen middle class gangstas i had this hilarious image of they're vocabulary which mostly consisted of expletives and the word mother improving dramatically the second they entered the door of there happy middle class homes.

i will now look forward to the bus ride home everyday.

littlekKID
2010-09-08, 09:23 AM
I've started High school 8 days ago

it's o.k right now, a lot more fun then junior high, mostly the cinema course\major ( I'm not sure what's the right word) we have Life Of Brian in the school program (curriculum?)!!:smallbiggrin: