PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Size increases and Ability Scores

knightMARE
2010-09-01, 10:00 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm

Mentions ability score increases/decreases when the creatures size increases due to HD. Do these things on the table apply when, say, a player plays a large race, or takes a template that increases the size? (the strength adjustment being on top of the ability bonuses listed)? What about when under the effects of enlarge person / expansion?

Douglas
2010-09-01, 10:13 AM
No. Those modifiers apply only when the source of the size change does not specify its own different set of modifiers.

Milskidasith
2010-09-01, 10:14 AM
Just about the only template that applies the advancement size increas bonuses/penalties is Half-Minotaur, IIRC. It's a very good template for a reason.

hamishspence
2010-09-01, 10:35 AM
What about the Half-Ogre template in the same Dragon issue as Half-Minotaur?

Duke of URL
2010-09-01, 10:50 AM
Larger or smaller races should already have size bonuses/penalties applied in the racial description.

If a template increases or decreases your size, I would think that you would indeed apply the size bonuses and penalties based on your new size. Edit: Unless such changes were already factored into the template, as noted above.

Likewise, enlarge person and expansion explicitly state that you gain the size bonuses and penalties for changing size category -- looking at it, I think they're poorly worded, as they only list certain attribute and AC changes when they should probably just state that you gain all of the bonuses and penalties (I believe there's even an OotS strip that makes fun of the fact that Durkon's base speed doesn't change to match his enlarged size).

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-09-01, 09:37 PM
there's even an OotS strip that makes fun of the fact that Durkon's base speed doesn't change to match his enlarged size).Its an oversight like all the other ones assuming everyone plays human, medium size, humanoids who have 11's for ability scores and take base classes to level 20. In my experience most DMs fix those sorts of little things