PDA

View Full Version : Running a solo campaign

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-01, 10:01 AM
I'm gonna start a solo Eberron campaign for my friend sometime next week when we get together to decide what kind of character he wants and flesh out some background whilst i explain the premise of the campaign.

The campaign will probably have the player as an assassin-type for whichever faction makes sense for his race and outlook (probably Zilargo as he loves those whisper gnomes). But what other themes work well for a solo campaign?

I need a list of classes that could function well on their own whilst being able to bee sneaky and take people out. Thus far my list is Druid, Factotum, Rogue, Beguiler and Warlock. Any others?

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-01, 02:05 PM
For a solo campaign with lots of social stuff, make him a Gestalt Changeling Factotum//Beguiler. He can be the social type of assassin! Win people's confidence, then kill them!

Jallorn
2010-09-01, 02:19 PM
Gestalt definitely helps in solo games. One of my favorite assassins that I ever built was a changeling Dread Necromancer. One of his tactics was to take the form of a child and use Scabrous Touch to give the target a disease.

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-01, 02:30 PM
Also give them absurdly high stats. like 36 point buy.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-01, 02:42 PM
Oh yeah i forgot to mention we'd use gestalt once i explain how it works to the player. My bad.

I like the factotum//beguiler option. Beguiler casting is tied to INT yes?

And I didn't know that the Changeling Alter Self could control your height, but then again I've never read anything saying you couldn't.

One other important factor is healing. With a caster/skillmonkey type he'll definitely have access to UMD for wands etc. Also being based out of a group/agency of sorts means he'll have contacts and other guildmembers etc. who could do the healing for small favors or a price. I think the key here is when out on assignments not chain lots of combats or hope my player can think to avoid them (I think I'll tell him that avoiding fights can/should be more effective and still grant the same amount of experience.)

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-01, 02:45 PM
Healing. Give him a Healer's Belt, a Wand of Lesser Vigor, a few emergency potions of Faith Healing keyed to his deity, for emergency in combat healing, and make the healer's belt count as a Masterwork Potion Belt so he can remove the potions as a swift action, and also have that enchantment on it that automatically stabilizes him.

FuryOfMetal
2010-09-03, 03:56 AM
Good idea, thanks.

So has anybody been in a solo campaign or have any experience with them? Was it a good experience?