PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Questions about Craft Skills

Chrizzt
2010-09-01, 10:20 AM
Hello!

I am a little bit confused about the examples of the Craft Skill, as it is described in the SRD.

For example, according to the SRD, you have to use Craft(Armorsmithing) if you want to create an armor. Armor seems to incorporate both metal armor and leather armor. What is leatherworking used for, then, or metalworking? Can you create a leather armor if you have ranks in leatherworking?

As some constructs or wondrous items need ranks in metalworking, for example (and are therefore "officially" mentioned), I find it odd if this should be the only application of metalworking (or leatherworking, etc.).

I am well aware that craft skills are just a little side-addition to (most) heroes, as D&D is not primarily about crafting, but perhaps someone can shed a little light on this topic?

Furthermore:
5 Ranks in Craft(Leatherworking) could very well result in a synergy bonus to craft(armorsmithing) concerning leather armor. Would you consider this unbalancing/inappropriate?

Diarmuid
2010-09-01, 01:53 PM
There are many things besides armor that would be made via leatherworking. Think about saddles, muzzles, rope, furniture coverings, etc.

WRT your question about synergy, where are you seeing any precedence for Craft skills granting synergy to other Craft skills?

urbanpirate
2010-09-01, 02:32 PM
Hello!

I am a little bit confused about the examples of the Craft Skill, as it is described in the SRD.

For example, according to the SRD, you have to use Craft(Armorsmithing) if you want to create an armor. Armor seems to incorporate both metal armor and leather armor. What is leatherworking used for, then, or metalworking? Can you create a leather armor if you have ranks in leatherworking?

As some constructs or wondrous items need ranks in metalworking, for example (and are therefore "officially" mentioned), I find it odd if this should be the only application of metalworking (or leatherworking, etc.).

I am well aware that craft skills are just a little side-addition to (most) heroes, as D&D is not primarily about crafting, but perhaps someone can shed a little light on this topic?

Furthermore:
5 Ranks in Craft(Leatherworking) could very well result in a synergy bonus to craft(armorsmithing) concerning leather armor. Would you consider this unbalancing/inappropriate?
they could provide a bonus to each other (stack) or they could just have overlapping knowledge. It seems this would depend pretty heavily on what aspects of each skill a character specialized in but that is too far into micro managing a character. Sounds like a one to run by the dm, but not solid enough to realy demand a rule change.

Jolly
2010-09-01, 02:36 PM
Out of curiousity: does anyone actually use the various Craft: professions in their games? I've never seen it personally, and I don't know how one would do it.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-01, 03:01 PM
The overall rule is that crafting isn't worth your time because it's faster to go and get the gold and buy it, but that assumes:
1) Your characters don't have downtime
2) your characters have ample money
3) your characters can deal with illegal goods in acceptable safety
4) the crafts are actually available to buy
It is more appropriate to say crafts don't normally warrant screen time.

My Long group has a wizard/(pathfinder)artificer gestalt whose concept revolves around golems and machines. He always has robots for the situation like spy flies, a sorting machine, a walking backpack, a sewing spider to mend our clothes, little gadgets to sell/give to kids in towns, guards, scouts and so on. His craft skills are always in use.
The group's rogue has poisonmaking, and he makes some on off-time (cheaper and incredibly less risky than buying in the black market since police actually works).
The group's psychic warrior has spare ranks on a few craft hobbies, like woodwork and painting, and it is a pastime when she has to lay low.