PDA

View Full Version : Stormguard Warrior question

The Rabbler
2010-09-01, 01:13 PM
If I have a tripper build that uses Stormguard Warrior and I refrain from using AoOs, does it use up any of my AoOs for the round?

also, if I have a reach of 20ft, an enemy moves from 20ft away from me (within reach) to 15 ft away, leaving a threatened square, and I refrain from using an AoO on him, do i threaten another AoO from him moving another 5ft closer?

Greenish
2010-09-01, 01:19 PM
If I have a tripper build that uses Stormguard Warrior and I refrain from using AoOs, does it use up any of my AoOs for the round?Refraining from taking an AoO does not use up the AoO, in so far as I recall the feat.

also, if I have a reach of 20ft, an enemy moves from 20ft away from me (within reach) to 15 ft away, leaving a threatened square, and I refrain from using an AoO on him, do i threaten another AoO from him moving another 5ft closer?No, a single action can only provoke one AoO per turn. After moving out of a threatened square once (and you refraining from taking the AoO provoked), he can run circles around you without provoking again (provided that he has enough movement left).

Snake-Aes
2010-09-01, 01:19 PM
The wording is "refrain from taking an AoO", not "use it up without doing anything", so your AoO limit should be untouched.

You have an underlying misunderstanding there too: Movement can only provoke attacks of opportunity once per round.
Once you provoke an AoO by movement in a round, your movement in that round will not provoke another AoO against the creatures he provoked against before.

Keld Denar
2010-09-01, 01:23 PM
This actually creates kinda an interesting side question for me. Say you do have 20' reach. Say its more tactically advantageous to trip the foe at 10' instead of the maximal 20' you have the potential to (say, your allies would then all be within 5' full attack range). Can you opt to delay the AoO you get for that foe moving through your threatened squares until precisely the moment you want? Assume no Stormguard for this.

The Rabbler
2010-09-01, 01:24 PM
alright, that's what I thought. Thanks for the clarification.

The Glyphstone
2010-09-01, 01:27 PM
This actually creates kinda an interesting side question for me. Say you do have 20' reach. Say its more tactically advantageous to trip the foe at 10' instead of the maximal 20' you have the potential to (say, your allies would then all be within 5' full attack range). Can you opt to delay the AoO you get for that foe moving through your threatened squares until precisely the moment you want? Assume no Stormguard for this.

I don't think so. The opponent automatically provokes for his first movement outof a threatened square, but does not provoke for any further movement within your threat radius that turn. Whether or not you choose to take the AoO is a different factor, but it won't allow you to take the AoO later in his movement, because he won't have provoked then. A readied action would work, but that's an entirely different situation.

Greenish
2010-09-01, 01:29 PM
This actually creates kinda an interesting side question for me. Say you do have 20' reach. Say its more tactically advantageous to trip the foe at 10' instead of the maximal 20' you have the potential to (say, your allies would then all be within 5' full attack range). Can you opt to delay the AoO you get for that foe moving through your threatened squares until precisely the moment you want?It seems to me you couldn't by the rules, since by moving out of a square you threaten, the enemy provokes, and you can either take or pass the AoO, but not delay it, and the enemy's movement can no longer provoke.