PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Blind paladin gunslinger

fratar11
2010-09-01, 01:15 PM
I have an idea of playing a badass-leatherwearing-gunslinging-testosterone inducing-mustached paladin.

He would obviously be blind, and i would try to get a feat or two from the DM explaining blindnes as a flaw. The main problem is that a blind man can't (or will have some trouble) aiming at a target, which he cannot see. I was thinking of making a feat that would improve paladins Detect Evil. It would improve it in that way that the paladins Detect evil would be always ''On'', further paladin would be able to ''see'' the embodied evil, kinda like daredevil with his radar thing. That way gunslinger could shoot the bad guys just fine, or even better than other people, but he would be pretty much useless if he is fighting against good/neutral people, and would have to depend on his Perception skill.

Dear forum,

is this retarded?

Cieyrin
2010-09-01, 01:40 PM
I have an idea of playing a badass-leatherwearing-gunslinging-testosterone inducing-mustached paladin.

He would obviously be blind, and i would try to get a feat or two from the DM explaining blindnes as a flaw. The main problem is that a blind man can't (or will have some trouble) aiming at a target, which he cannot see. I was thinking of making a feat that would improve paladins Detect Evil. It would improve it in that way that the paladins Detect evil would be always ''On'', further paladin would be able to ''see'' the embodied evil, kinda like daredevil with his radar thing. That way gunslinger could shoot the bad guys just fine, or even better than other people, but he would be pretty much useless if he is fighting against good/neutral people, and would have to depend on his Perception skill.

Dear forum,

is this retarded?

Blind ranged characters are a might difficult and blind characters in general tend to cause head aches but, if your group is willing to have you, all the more power to you.

Another_Poet made quite a bit to deal with the blind character here: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19906846/The_Blind_PCs_Association?num=10&pg=1. I think it's pretty reasonably put together and I'd actually enjoy playing a blind character with such built in.

Extra sensitive detect evil is one way it could work, though you do something like Listening Lorecall or some other source of blindsight, though you'll be fairly limited in the range of what you can actually sense, as blindsense/sight tends to be fairly short range. Another option would be to get a source of blindsense and there's a potion in Dragon Magic, I believe, that changes it into blindsight for a time. Definitely worth the investment.

Silverscale
2010-09-01, 01:47 PM
One obvious feat that would help a Blind character is Blind Fighting but since I don't have my books with my I'm not sure what it's pre-req's are.

As to using a hightened form of Detect Evil you might think about turning it into Detect Alignment. I had a Paladin of Bahamut who fell from grace and became a Cleric of Lendys but was allowed to retain the paladin abilities he already had. Since my alignment was no longer LG, my DM decided that my Detect Evil became Detect Alignment....This was before we discoverd that there were Palidin Variants for all the different alignments.....we played it that anytime I used Detect Alignment and there was a particularly strong presense i got a sever but brief head ache until I learned to "squint" whenever I tried to Detect Alignment.

The point is perhaps you can come up with a feat to show that you have a particularly good handle on using your Detect ability or you could roleplay it out over a couple of sessions how you learn to control it.

Also if you morph it into Detect Alignment, then you won't be as usless against non-evil characters.

hamishspence
2010-09-02, 05:22 AM
The paladin Dragonbait in the Alias books by Kate Novak & Jeff Grubb, had "shen sight" in place of Detect Evil- which was a bit like Detect Alignment- only it provided even more info- in colour coded form.

So, if you had several people, evil in different ways (sadistic, envious, wrathful, coveteous) they would all glow different colours to shen sight.

Neutral (especially very proud Neutral) tended to be gray.