PDA

View Full Version : Epic Death Impending

reptilecobra13
2010-09-01, 05:14 PM
So my friends and I are now epic level, and our DM is planning to kill our characters off in the upcoming campaign. Any ideas for preventing death? I'm looking into spells like Delay Death and a couple similar ones, but if anyone knows of other ways (for example, psionic rather than magical, in the event of an AMF), I'd love to hear them. We want to rock the face off of this campaign rather than see our beloved friends die.

AtopTheMountain
2010-09-01, 05:15 PM
If your DM wants you to die, you will die. It's just a matter of getting him to do it suitably epically.

Reis Tahlen
2010-09-01, 05:22 PM
I would advice the "Change Campaign" skill. Or explaining your DM that announcing character's certain death in a next compaign is NOT a good way to motivate people to play his game.

Lord Vampyre
2010-09-01, 05:33 PM
If your DM wants you to die, you will die. It's just a matter of getting him to do it suitably epically.

Here is the meat of your problem. The entire world is controlled by the DM, including your characters very lives. He can even reach in and make your characters do things you would never have allowed to happen.

Now playing in the campaign there is generally an unspoken agreement of how far the DM is suppose to take this level of control. If the DM is just out to kill your characters, your best bet is to exit said game. Now if the DM has something truly epic planned that will probably kill your characters, but not with the direct intention of doing so, then play it to the bitter end. The difference between these two is that your characters literally have no chance in the first scenario, and at least have a small chance in the second.

If you feel the DM is gunning for the 1st option, then I suggest speaking with him about toning it down a little bit, or switching campaigns.

Dust
2010-09-01, 05:42 PM
I disagree with all of the above.

One you hit epic level, the game becomes vastly different. A lot of GMs struggle with it, and frankly, I don't blame them. I feel your GM is saying 'Hey guys, I don't want to do this, and thus we're going to end things. Your characters will die - I feel this is a suitable finale for this campaign."

And frankly, if they go out in a blaze of glory, this is a way better finish than having them retire in the countryside and becoming epic-level innkeepers and such, or even ascending to demi-godhood.

Such forthrightness from your GM should be appreciated, not struggled against. Trying to delay death and continue the campaign after the GM is no longer willing to run it will only lead to a crappy ending.

Hirax
2010-09-01, 05:45 PM
Become a half-clay golem. Being immune to piercing and slashing damage on top of spell immunity closes a lot of doors. If you don't want to take on construct traits be prepared to throttle up your will saves and have some way to reroll a nat 1 if it comes ups.

MightyTim
2010-09-01, 06:43 PM
I think you're asking the wrong question. You're looking for ways to continue your campaign, but the DM is, for whatever reason, tired of it all. Seeing as the DM has one power with which none of the PCs can counter, the infamous "Rocks fall, everybody dies." spell, I think a compromise is needed.

Why exactly do you want to keep the campaign going? Are you really enjoying the story? Have you just gotten really attached to your characters?

You need to talk to your DM and tell him that you've become attached to aspects X,Y, and Z of this campaign, and find a compromise.

Remmirath
2010-09-01, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I think you should try to talk things out rather than try to cheat the DMs death plan. Because that will just make the DM mad, and then he'll kill you anyway - if the DM is out to get you, you can't win in the end.

Did you just hit epic, or was there something that happened that might've made the DM think epic is unmanagable (which, to be fair, it pretty much is without house rules)? It sounds to me as if he decided that an epic campaign just isn't what he wants, and has decided that 'kill 'em all' is the best way to end it.

I can easily see how that would be annoying. Heck, I'd probably be annoyed. Certain death is no fun. You could try to talk him into at least giving you a fighting chance, and if you win against whatever he tosses at you, maybe ascend to demi-god (or possibly divine, if he feels like running the game long enough to make that feasible) status or something? Or end up as rulers of some far-away kingdom? That would keep the PCs out of the campaign world directly (or in the second case, away from most areas of the world), but they'd still be there. And if you lost, then you'd have lost fair and square.

If you can't manage to talk the DM out of it, I'd recommend going along with it and trying to come to as glorious an end as possible. It's better to go out like that than go out running from the decreasingly plot-relevant things an increasingly irate DM throws at you, in my opinion.

subject42
2010-09-01, 07:18 PM
Try the Epic Destiny feat. You just come back in a different form if you die.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drfe/20080428

liquid150
2010-09-01, 07:46 PM
As many have said, it depends on if he "IS" going to kill you, and if he wants to "try" to kill you. Huge difference there.

If he IS going to kill you, then just tell him you'd like to start a new campaign. I'd rather not continue knowing the outcome of this one, even if it is epic.

Asheram
2010-09-01, 07:54 PM
So my friends and I are now epic level, and our DM is planning to kill our characters off in the upcoming campaign. Any ideas for preventing death? I'm looking into spells like Delay Death and a couple similar ones, but if anyone knows of other ways (for example, psionic rather than magical, in the event of an AMF), I'd love to hear them. We want to rock the face off of this campaign rather than see our beloved friends die.

Simple fact. You will die...

Tip:
Shag for babies. Make legacy.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-09-01, 08:54 PM
Persist Veil of Undeath. Become immune to death. Win Dnd.

dgnslyr
2010-09-01, 10:53 PM
Become a sandwich and hide in a pocket dimension?
Or, beat the DM to the punch, and destroy the world yourself! Osmium Bomb! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2010735&postcount=38)

mobdrazhar
2010-09-02, 12:29 AM
Planeshift to FR (if not alreaady there) and take a gods portfolio

Ihouji
2010-09-02, 01:07 AM
Easy, beat your GM to the punch go through the ritual to become a lich, then hide your phylactery on a plane of existence that only you have access too.

Congratulations you are now both dead and immortal at the same time.

Every time you die you and all your items disintegrate and in 1d10 days you will reform at your phylactery. At that point just plane shift to where ever you want to be and continue on living, er well not living as it were.

reptilecobra13
2010-09-04, 03:00 PM
Well, that was some varied advice, that's for certain. I actually just came up with an interesting idea that I might talk with the other players about. I'm thinking that if we all really do want to keep these characters around, we send some crazy chronomancy at them at revert them to level one and let them do it all over again, albeit probably with a little less of the insanity that accompanies this party.

As for the DM, we all have taken turns DMing, but this particular bit of campaign, one of our friends has decided will attempt to wrap things up. We may not die, and we may become demi-gods. Who knows. Thanks for all of your input, playgrounders. You rock.