PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Radiant Warlocks?

Morph Bark
2010-09-01, 05:36 PM
So Friday I am going to stream into a 4E group for the first time, planning on playing a Half-Elf Warlock. Being bad at searching (maybe because Search is no longer a skill in 4E?) I couldn't find a Warlock guide for 4E so quickly - if anyone could help there that'd be great. Just advice in general would be appreciated too.

What I really want to find though, is at-will powers that deal radiant damage, preferably Cha- or Con-based of course. This because I read a tidbit of advice since radiant damage is the type monsters least often are resistant to. That and another newbie to 4E is going to play a Paladin and take feats to be able to make others vulnerable to radiant damage, so me contributing to the radiant damage would be dandy. :smallsmile:

EDIT: the class for the radiant damage doesn't matter of course, since it is meant to be acquired through the Half-Elf's Dilettante ability.

Dust
2010-09-01, 05:52 PM
There's so much cheese for radiant damage out there - boons that grant you bonus damage when you damage radiant vunerable targets, ways to impose radiant vunerability, etc etc. Now Warlocks aren't the absolute best at radiant, but there's definitely some things you can do.

I'll assume you don't have a DDI subscription, which is too bad, because most of the best stuff is in there. Here's a few simple methods.

1) Star Warlocks are great warlocks. Not in terms of damage per round, but in terms of performing the way you might want them to. See if your GM will let you use material from here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/dragon/366/366_warlocks.pdf). IA! IA!

2) As a general rule for lock advice, you'll want to focus on getting..
....Things cursed as often as possible
....Getting your pact boon as often as possible
Therefore, its generally a good idea to pick up the Double Implement Spellcaster feat, and for weapons, look into the Bloodcurse Rod and/or Rod of Corruption.

3) If you DO have access to DDI or Dragon Annual, you can become a Servant of Caiphon, and take Arcane Implement Proficiency (Heavy Sword) and grab a Radiant Weapon. Now all of your attacks can deal radiant damage, and you get 18-20 Crit range. Melee warlock!

RebelRogue
2010-09-01, 05:53 PM
You do know that Star Pact gives you the Dire Radiance At-Will, right?

Morph Bark
2010-09-01, 06:07 PM
I'll assume you don't have a DDI subscription, which is too bad, because most of the best stuff is in there. Here's a few simple methods.

1) Star Warlocks are great warlocks. Not in terms of damage per round, but in terms of performing the way you might want them to. See if your GM will let you use material from here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/dragon/366/366_warlocks.pdf). IA! IA!

I indeed don't have a DDI subscription, and the DM has warranted only use of the PHBs, Power books and campaign setting stuff that has come out so far. Thanks for the other advice though, I sure do plan on getting out some curses, no profanity intended. :smallwink:

You do know that Star Pact gives you the Dire Radiance At-Will, right?

I wasn't really aware, actually. At first I wanted to go Star Pact, but didn't pay attention to damage types at the time, being ignorant of them. I later decided on Fey Pact instead and only just got into the radiant damage idea due to my Paladin-loving friend. I'm changing it now though. (And probably will resume my search for star-shaped sunglasses for the character.)

dsmiles
2010-09-01, 06:41 PM

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! IA! IA! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Excession
2010-09-01, 10:14 PM
The Paladin's Virtuous Strike. Melee weapon, Cha vs AC, 1[W] radiant damage. Can be used as a melee basic attack, and on hit grants a +2 to saving throws for a round. You gain a useful MBA and ability to target AC, but remember that you won't have proficiency with military weapons.

The Sorcerer's Blazing Starfall. Area burst 1 within 10, Cha vs Ref for 1d4 + Cha radiant damage. Damage is low, but being area is nice.

There are other radiant at-wills from the Cleric and Invoker, but they're Wis based so they'll be much less likely to hit unless you take the feat that lets you based your dilettante power off a different stat.

tcrudisi
2010-09-01, 10:33 PM
The mandatory handbook: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19648994/The_Power_of_the_Dark_Side:_The_Warlocks_Handbook

It is the 4e character optimization handbook for Warlocks. I've not played a Warlock since the PHB was the only source available, so I'm not going to give too much of an opinion on this, but here's what I know about Warlocks:

When it comes to damage, they are among the weakest strikers. However, they bring a lot of control elements to the board which more than makes up for their lower damage. (And by lower damage, you should still be out-damaging any other non-strikers in the party).

The handbook will be really good for learning what the good powers are and why they are. Likewise with feats and other choices. Obviously, you'll have to make some sacrifices (picking a weaker power or sub-optimal feat) if you go the radiant route -- but ultimately it is worth it if you build a whole party based on Radiant damage. Realize also that this can get the DM throwing books at you as it is ridiculously good.

Dust
2010-09-01, 11:51 PM
If you've never played 4e before, allow me to be perfectly blunt and honest.
Don't make a character that 'meshes' with the group the way you are, attempting to maximize damage with radiant-keyword attacks. That's taking the system completely the wrong way.

Make what you want. Sod optimization. You might be surprised.

Mando Knight
2010-09-02, 12:15 AM
I wasn't really aware, actually. At first I wanted to go Star Pact, but didn't pay attention to damage types at the time, being ignorant of them. I later decided on Fey Pact instead and only just got into the radiant damage idea due to my Paladin-loving friend.
Remember: Stars are radiant. Also cold and horrifying and unknowable, but radiant.

mobdrazhar
2010-09-02, 12:22 AM
Also cold and horrifying and unknowable, but radiant.

So when did this thread move on to Cthulu?:smallbiggrin:

RebelRogue
2010-09-02, 12:35 AM
The Lovecraftian feel is the shtick of Star Pacts warlocks, so... I think it was probably there the whole time.

mobdrazhar
2010-09-02, 12:38 AM
The Lovecraftian feel is the shtick of Star Pacts warlocks, so... I think it was probably there the whole time.

true... now i'm so tempted to do a warlock in my gf's game that worships Cthulu

dsmiles
2010-09-02, 04:16 AM

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! IA! IA! Cthulhu fhtagn!

I'd say that right there is where it made a turn towards Cthulhu. Star Pact warlocks are the only warlocks I'll play.

RebelRogue
2010-09-02, 10:27 AM
true... now i'm so tempted to do a warlock in my gf's game that worships Cthulu
My very first 4e character (barring the single battle, initial playtest we did) was a Star Pact Warlock. I jotted down "Yog-Sothoth" as my deity on the sheet. That guy was pretty creepy, lol. Unfortunately he got killed by Irontooth.

Hzurr
2010-09-02, 01:44 PM
"Twinkle twinkle little star,
how I wonder what you are.
If I knew my brain would burn,
but you help me flay foes each turn.
Twinkle twinkle little star
how I wonder what you are"

Mando Knight
2010-09-02, 04:38 PM
I'd say that right there is where it made a turn towards Cthulhu.

Actually, it made a turn towards Cthulhu right here (http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Players-Handbook-Heinsoo/dp/0786948671/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283463452&sr=8-1).

dsmiles
2010-09-02, 06:38 PM
Actually, it made a turn towards Cthulhu right here (http://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Players-Handbook-Heinsoo/dp/0786948671/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283463452&sr=8-1).

Fair enough. IA! IA!

chaotoroboto
2010-09-02, 08:35 PM
My very first 4e character (barring the single battle, initial playtest we did) was a Star Pact Warlock. I jotted down "Yog-Sothoth" as my deity on the sheet. That guy was pretty creepy, lol. Unfortunately he got killed by Irontooth.

My whole campaign, level 1-30, is based on the idea of an evil star that is trying to conquer the planes. There are wild machinations and clever plot twists, but it's really all about how much I dug the Star Pact splat from Dragon.