PDA

View Full Version : Freaky Weird Dreams

X15lm204
2010-09-01, 06:20 PM
I consider myself blessed never to have had a true utterly-helpless-while-something-terrible-happens nightmare since I was twelve years old (I like to joke that my subconscious gave up on trying to outdo itself after the Princess Mononoke ones). I still sometimes find myself terrified in dreams, but never helpless to deal with my situation - or if I become such due to things going wrong, I immediately wake up. Occasionally, however, my sleeping mind makes up for its inability to produce nightmares by giving me dreams that, while not scary at the time, haunt my thoughts for days in the waking world, and are never completely forgotten.

Last night, in the midst of another, forgettable dream, I remember sitting down to read a book my mother had gotten me, titled The Night Man. The book was composed entirely of full page photographs, faded to almost-grayscale but still as sharp as ever, with subtitles at the bottom of the image showing the characters' dialogue, and nothing but. In it, one family, consisting of a husband and wife and their 8-10 year old son and 5-6 year old daughter, were sitting down to eat lunch as the guests of another family, another couple and their 7-9 year old daughter. There was also a small cat, barely more than a kitten, who was lounging about nearby, who the camera would often focus on despite never coming up in the conversation. The guest family were clearly devoutly religious - which religion was never mentioned and never really seemed to matter, they might have been Christian, or Jewish, or Jedi, or Pelorite, there was no way to tell - and soon the conversation turned to what religion the host family practiced.

The little girl, however, didn't even understand the concept. Nonplussed, the guest mother attempted to explain, but the girl misunderstood completely. She immediately began to tell stories of her adventures with a being called The Night Man, who lived in the room down the hall and only came out after sunset. She told story after story without pause, each painting The Night Man, the things they did, theirs goals, and the girl herself as more alien and incomprehensible than the last. Sadly I can remember no details from her stories - in fact I seem to remember my mind sliding over them even in the dream, though that may or may not be my subconscious actively trying to retell the story even stranger than it already was. The guest family became more and more unnerved and frightened by the telling, but never dared to interrupt. The girl's parents, on the other hand, continued to prepare lunch and sit in on the story as if she was still talking about her school day rather than tales stranger than Lovecraft's wildest fever-dreams. The cat continued to lounge about in the sun by the large windows.

While the guest family grew more and more fearful, they remained polite as the girl's stories ran down, the conversation resumed, and lunch was served. Then the mood suddenly turned hostile when the host girl noticed the guest boy praying silently, which he insisted he always did before he ate. She snarled something about how it was worse than useless to pray to something that wasn't even Good - though it was immediately clear that what she meant by the word had absolutely nothing to do with the definition from conventional morality. Suddenly she smiled, and the conversation resumed - a bit strained on one side of the table - as they all ate their lunches. The cat cleaned its hind legs in the corner.

When lunch was nearly finished the conversation was interrupted by the emergence from one of the side rooms of The Day Man. He was a tall man, wearing no clothing but mostly covered by a strange black and white mold that grew in starburst like spots, even completely covering his eyes. While he was in the room, absolutely everything but the people, the cat, and the windows was covered in the same mold, though no one seemed to react to it. The host girl stood up to take his hand and introduced him to the guests, then carried on half a conversation with him. The Day Man's mouth was uncovered, but he said nothing in return - merely staring sightlessly at each of the three children in turn, never turning towards the camera enough to see both side of his face at the same time - even though the girl seemed to hear him reply. The guest family watched in terrified silence. The host parents smiled at the two and kept eating their lunch, heedless of the mold. The cat dozed on a mold-covered cushion in the sun.

The Day Man abruptly simply disappeared, taking the mold with him. The little girl said how sorry she was that she wouldn't be able to introduce them to The Night Man, who was even more her special friend but wouldn't come out until sunset, then brightened up and cheerfully invited the other children to a sleepover. The guest parents gave flimsy excuses as to why they couldn't, and the four said their goodbyes and left. The host parents commented on what a nice lunch that was and suggested the girl invite friends over more often. The cat stood by its bowl, waiting to be fed.

In the final scene, the guest family sat around their own dinner table in silence as the sun went down, each glancing out the window at the darkening sky. The young girl took her brother's hand under the table and asked her father to tell them a story. The whole family looked at him expectantly, apparently hoping for some way to clear the air. The father stared down at his untouched plate, then began to speak, telling of a group of criminals planning a bank robbery, but how on the day of the heist everything had gone wrong and they had ended up in a shootout with the police. 'And then they died,' he ended with a nervous giggle, and the family stared at him in silence.

I looked at the other books recommended at the back, tried and failed to memorize the name of the author - something maybe Scandinavian, I guessed, with too many consonants - and discussed the book's artistic merits and the meaning of the ending with my mother, then continued on with whatever forgettable dream I'd been having before.

It wasn't until this afternoon that I realized, while considering the dream's imagery, that while I had been reading the book in the dream I had been sitting in the same room where the photographs had been taken, sitting on the same couch the guest had been sitting on before their lunch started. The reason the room had been getting progressively darker, to my annoyance, was that the sun had been going down. The cat had been curled up on the couch beside me.

Has anyone else had dreams like this? Dreams that seem normal, even fun, while you have them, but then much, much creepier when considered with waking logic?

Creed
2010-09-01, 06:32 PM
I once had a dream where I murdered someone, only to realize the person I murdered was myself.
I was like ten and flipped out, then woke up screaming.
But the dream that was closest to what you have described is where I literally was walking through hell, talking to the devil about stuff as we walked through a long hallway of people being tortured. At the end of the hall there were two doors, one said Heaven on it and the other said "WHY ARE YOU LOOKING AT THIS DOOR STUPID!?". I took the second door for some reason. It was... weird on the other side. Like, take Lovecraftian horror and mix it with effing comic book fantasy fantasy and zombies. The best way I can describe it is either "The Amazing Hellgate: Ryleh" or "Left 4 Cthulu vs. the World".
My dreams just don't make sense. I once had a dream about beating an animate clay person with a katana.
Rambling: over.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-01, 06:34 PM
I once had a dream where I murdered someone, only to realize the person I murdered was myself.

The plot twist in the next M. Night Shyamalan film.

Castaras
2010-09-01, 06:37 PM
Worst nightmarish dreams of that sort had me being shot by two men in a black van, in one of the streets in my village. Made me avoid that place for yeeeears.

Though one thing I've been wondering - I dream in colour, and apparently it's rare to dream in colour (despite 3 out of 4 of my family dreaming in colour). So does anyone else dream in colour? :smallconfused: Still not sure I believe this claim, so would be interesting to know.

Creed
2010-09-01, 06:43 PM
I dream in color, so to speak. Alot of my dreams involve large dark spaces, so those are black of course. But fire is red, water is clear/blue, etc.
Minus the penguins. Those are purple. Don't ask why.

mucat
2010-09-01, 06:48 PM
Though one thing I've been wondering - I dream in colour, and apparently it's rare to dream in colour (despite 3 out of 4 of my family dreaming in colour). So does anyone else dream in colour?

It's unusual to dream in color? I really doubt that.

X15lm204
2010-09-01, 07:10 PM
I also find it hard to believe that most people don't dream in color, though I've heard it a lot. I know I dream in color all the time. Occasional grayscale weirdness aside.

Mauve Shirt
2010-09-01, 07:30 PM
I dream in color.
http://dreamlogincolor.blogspot.com

Dr.Epic
2010-09-01, 09:55 PM
I had the best nerd dream last night:

I was a member of the Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense, and I personally knew Hellboy: we hung out and went on mission. But it gets better. I was also a member of the Knights of Good from the Guild. Not like I existed in the fictional world of their MMORPG. I existed in the world of the Guild and gamed with Codex, Vork, Zaboo, etc. Yeah, the dream ended with me trying to get Hellboy into gaming and the Knights of Good having a meeting with me. KIt was awesome!:smallbiggrin:

Cealocanth
2010-09-01, 10:35 PM
I consider myself blessed never to have had a true utterly-helpless-while-something-terrible-happens nightmare since I was twelve years old (I like to joke that my subconscious gave up on trying to outdo itself after the Princess Mononoke ones). I still sometimes find myself terrified in dreams, but never helpless to deal with my situation - or if I become such due to things going wrong, I immediately wake up. Occasionally, however, my sleeping mind makes up for its inability to produce nightmares by giving me dreams that, while not scary at the time, haunt my thoughts for days in the waking world, and are never completely forgotten.

Last night, in the midst of another, forgettable dream, I remember sitting down to read a book my mother had gotten me, titled The Night Man. The book was composed entirely of full page photographs, faded to almost-grayscale but still as sharp as ever, with subtitles at the bottom of the image showing the characters' dialogue, and nothing but. In it, one family, consisting of a husband and wife and their 8-10 year old son and 5-6 year old daughter, were sitting down to eat lunch as the guests of another family, another couple and their 7-9 year old daughter. There was also a small cat, barely more than a kitten, who was lounging about nearby, who the camera would often focus on despite never coming up in the conversation. The guest family were clearly devoutly religious - which religion was never mentioned and never really seemed to matter, they might have been Christian, or Jewish, or Jedi, or Pelorite, there was no way to tell - and soon the conversation turned to what religion the host family practiced.

The little girl, however, didn't even understand the concept. Nonplussed, the guest mother attempted to explain, but the girl misunderstood completely. She immediately began to tell stories of her adventures with a being called The Night Man, who lived in the room down the hall and only came out after sunset. She told story after story without pause, each painting The Night Man, the things they did, theirs goals, and the girl herself as more alien and incomprehensible than the last. Sadly I can remember no details from her stories - in fact I seem to remember my mind sliding over them even in the dream, though that may or may not be my subconscious actively trying to retell the story even stranger than it already was. The guest family became more and more unnerved and frightened by the telling, but never dared to interrupt. The girl's parents, on the other hand, continued to prepare lunch and sit in on the story as if she was still talking about her school day rather than tales stranger than Lovecraft's wildest fever-dreams. The cat continued to lounge about in the sun by the large windows.

While the guest family grew more and more fearful, they remained polite as the girl's stories ran down, the conversation resumed, and lunch was served. Then the mood suddenly turned hostile when the host girl noticed the guest boy praying silently, which he insisted he always did before he ate. She snarled something about how it was worse than useless to pray to something that wasn't even Good - though it was immediately clear that what she meant by the word had absolutely nothing to do with the definition from conventional morality. Suddenly she smiled, and the conversation resumed - a bit strained on one side of the table - as they all ate their lunches. The cat cleaned its hind legs in the corner.

When lunch was nearly finished the conversation was interrupted by the emergence from one of the side rooms of The Day Man. He was a tall man, wearing no clothing but mostly covered by a strange black and white mold that grew in starburst like spots, even completely covering his eyes. While he was in the room, absolutely everything but the people, the cat, and the windows was covered in the same mold, though no one seemed to react to it. The host girl stood up to take his hand and introduced him to the guests, then carried on half a conversation with him. The Day Man's mouth was uncovered, but he said nothing in return - merely staring sightlessly at each of the three children in turn, never turning towards the camera enough to see both side of his face at the same time - even though the girl seemed to hear him reply. The guest family watched in terrified silence. The host parents smiled at the two and kept eating their lunch, heedless of the mold. The cat dozed on a mold-covered cushion in the sun.

The Day Man abruptly simply disappeared, taking the mold with him. The little girl said how sorry she was that she wouldn't be able to introduce them to The Night Man, who was even more her special friend but wouldn't come out until sunset, then brightened up and cheerfully invited the other children to a sleepover. The guest parents gave flimsy excuses as to why they couldn't, and the four said their goodbyes and left. The host parents commented on what a nice lunch that was and suggested the girl invite friends over more often. The cat stood by its bowl, waiting to be fed.

In the final scene, the guest family sat around their own dinner table in silence as the sun went down, each glancing out the window at the darkening sky. The young girl took her brother's hand under the table and asked her father to tell them a story. The whole family looked at him expectantly, apparently hoping for some way to clear the air. The father stared down at his untouched plate, then began to speak, telling of a group of criminals planning a bank robbery, but how on the day of the heist everything had gone wrong and they had ended up in a shootout with the police. 'And then they died,' he ended with a nervous giggle, and the family stared at him in silence.

I looked at the other books recommended at the back, tried and failed to memorize the name of the author - something maybe Scandinavian, I guessed, with too many consonants - and discussed the book's artistic merits and the meaning of the ending with my mother, then continued on with whatever forgettable dream I'd been having before.

It wasn't until this afternoon that I realized, while considering the dream's imagery, that while I had been reading the book in the dream I had been sitting in the same room where the photographs had been taken, sitting on the same couch the guest had been sitting on before their lunch started. The reason the room had been getting progressively darker, to my annoyance, was that the sun had been going down. The cat had been curled up on the couch beside me.

Has anyone else had dreams like this? Dreams that seem normal, even fun, while you have them, but then much, much creepier when considered with waking logic?

That's really deep, and surprisingly good reading. I'd make a great short story. The plot twist at the end really grabbed me.

I had a dream like that once.

One morning I woke up surprised to see a man standing in the corner of my room. He was taller than me, although no exact height, and was skinny. His white skin showed no shadows or had any difinitive shade of white, he had no face, but he stared at everything dangerously, like the Mona Lisa. He was dressed in a black pinstriped suit, he had a golden ring on his middle finger.

I saw the man and felt as if he were unimportant. Myself within the dream wanted to investigate further, but I found myself ignoring his exsistence and progressing into the bathroom for my morning shower. As I showered, there his reflection leaned against a wall in the mirror. He cast no shadow under the bright light of my bathroom, and seemed to take up no space at all. He seemed to look over my shoulder as brushed my teeth.

I walked down the hall of my upstairs and out the door, all the way the white man took long strides without making any sound. He seemed to lift himself as if he were light as a feather, and fell to Earth as if he waighed a ton. My in-dream self continued to ignore the man, although I still wnated to investigate him.

The street outside my house was different than usual. It was more like a straight street downtown, where apartments and skyscrapers sat side by side. Occasionally a short house stood at the side of the road. I was the only one walking along, the whole while the white man followed me, his feet fell at the exact same time I did. When I stopped, he did too.

I turned into an open park. Trees dotted the grassy field and children pranced, frollicked, and played. The white man still stood behind me, staring over my shoulder as if he used my eyes for his own. I walked along a path that I knew surrounded the park. As I walked along I noticed the white man sitting in a tree, eating a pearl white apple with a loud crunch. He vanished the second I saw him and appeared sitting on a bench next to an old man dressed in funeral attire, the white man read the paper. Out of the corner of my eye I saw two children playing, one male, one female. They tossed a ball back and forth and played, suddenly, the boy turned his face to me and showed the white faceless face of the white man. The path ended to reveal a wide open field, the white man still behind me, looking into my soul.

I ran in fear. Each step felt like an eternity and as I stepped more and more, the white man grew in size. I ran as hard as I could till I could run no more, which apparently was caused by me being standing at the edge of an obligatory cliff. At the base of the cliff, a cyan ocean stretched to the horizon and the sky met at the point. I turned to face the white man. Now twice my height and still as skinny as before. I was too scared to say anything but found my dream self mouthing the words "Who are you?" directed at the white man.

An eternity passed till I recieved the answer.

"You decide."

As I was about to respond the white man funally opened his (apparently closed) eyes. They were bright and colorless. The bright light quickly spread out of his eyes and engulfed the universe.

I woke up, smothered in a damp blainket.

It took days of pondering untill annother dream finally revealed the answer. Death stalks us every day, everywhere. You cannot run from it, it will catch you. You cannot see it coming, it has too many faces. All we can do is pretend it's not there, and go about our lives with the white man forever looking over our shoulders.

Serpentine
2010-09-01, 10:54 PM
This morning, at the end of a much larger dream, there was a young man*, more or less the "me" figure, who was selected by a god to be a Hero. He had a sword and a funny round shield^. Unfortunately, the god wasn't a very strong one, and the Hero got into a huge, epic battle right away at the edge of the god's limit of communication (it went all staticy when it tried to talk to him), and it also had trouble maintaining people for long. So it started out as a huge battle between two armies, but then people started disappearing - I really noticed it when the Hero's second-in-command type ally, with a cool warhammer, disappeared, leaving the hammer behind. Eventually, the Hero was stuck in a small room with a handful of people (all Asian, one woman holding a baby), who were all sort of becoming... un-real.
I think that if I had stayed asleep and continued the dream, it would have turned out that this was only a localised phenomenon, as the god wasn't powerful or important enough to have created - and subsequently lost a grip of - the whole world.
'twere pretty great.

*oh hey, there was discussion in another thread recently about gendered dreams...
^Re: the question above, I remember the shield at least being gold-coloured.

Starscream
2010-09-01, 11:03 PM
I'm not very good at remembering dreams, but a few have been bizarre enough to stick out.

I recall one from when I was about 9 or 10 years old. In the dream, one of my friends was hit by a car and died. This is a horrifying enough thing to dream about as a child, but it gets weirder.

My friend returned as a sort of ghost thing. He informed me that it was supposed to be me who was struck by the car, not him. He wasn't bitter or anything, just very sad because he had died before his time and I was the only one who could see him (presumably due to the fact that he had somehow taken my place).

I came to the perfectly logical conclusion (for a dream anyway) that I could bring him back to life if I put his ghost back in his body. I went to his funeral, but soon discovered it was actually my funeral because everyone thought it was me who died.

Instead of being happy to see me, all my relatives were in some sort of weird denial. They insisted I must be dead, because Death never makes a mistake. When they opened the coffin to check, they saw my friend's body was now missing. They called Death to ask what the hell, and he said that he had messed up and decided to hide the body so no one found out. He offered to add a year to everyone's life if they would just kill me and put me in the coffin to help cover up his goof.

In a moment that still makes me smile after fifteen years, everyone said no except for my favorite uncle, who started haggling over the price. He said he'd cut off some of my hair and put it in for a buck. I have a strange family.:smallbiggrin:

But now I had to go see Death, who turned out to have a house nearby. I wanted my friend's body so I could bring him back, he wanted to kill me, and my friend's ghost kept caterwauling about the fact that he died before he got to beat some video game or other.

Seems Death was the one driving the car that hit my friend, who he mistook for me because he was wearing my jacket. He hid the body in the trunk. He gave me back the jacket and said that I had to put it on and let him run me over. Then he'd let my friend come back.

But my friend's ghost stepped in and made some sort of deal. He'd get to come back right now, and I'd get a head start before Death got to run me over. My friend came back, and together we had the idea to put the jacket on a dummy to fool Death into thinking he'd got me.

It worked and we both lived. Death was furious, but had blown his chance and had to give up. To get even he told me the exact date I would die, promising that I wouldn't get away from him again.

I woke up shortly after this. It wasn't an objectively terrifying dream. In fact now that I'm an adult it sounds like the plot of a terrible Goosebumps novel. But it freaked me the hell out when I was little, mostly because I remembered it so vividly. I even remembered the date he told me

If this were fiction, I'd now make some crack about how that date is coming soon and who knows what will happen. But it actually passed just over two years ago, so I guess I'm in the clear. But I won't lie; I spent that day slightly nervous and breathed a sigh of relief when midnight struck. It's an effective dream that can give you pause over a decade later.

TSGames
2010-09-02, 09:05 AM
That's really deep, and surprisingly good reading. I'd make a great short story. The plot twist at the end really grabbed me.

Seconded. This would make a good short story.

As for my dreams, sadly I have no dreams where I can apply much logic to them. My dreams are never coherent, except for the one boring dream that I had. I find that I, too, dream in color and, more often than not, am myself in the dream world. Where my dreams differ from most people is that I have frequently died in my dreams. The worst part is that I don't wake up as I die, I wake up after.

The most vivid memory I have of this was when I was six or seven years old, and I had a dream that involved many monsters, which were mostly bad guys from PowerRangers. Throughout the dream, I had befriended some of the monsters, and even shared a GameBoy(the original) with one of them. However, things began to go horribly wrong and I found myself having to flee from the monsters. Running through an archway in some long forgotten marble hall, I suddenly entered a Victorian style mansion. I was on the second floor with a grand staircase on my left leading down into a decadently decorated room. I turned to see the monsters behind me, and so I ran to the other end of the hall, past the staircase, to try to open another door. As I reached the door and outstretched my hand, the door burst open and more monster began entering the room. I turned and saw that all the doors in the hall were opening and so I ran to the only place I could: down the stairs.

When I reached the bottom, monsters began to emerge from under the stairs and, shaking and sweating with fear from their murderous intent, I ran towards the atrium of the mansion which sat directly across from the stairway. After only a few steps, monster began to creep into the room from the atrium and were now closing in. With nowhere left to run, and no possibility of hiding, I backed into a corner of the room and slunk down against the wall. The monsters closed in, circled around my corner and stopped. As I sat there overwhelmed by what was about to happen, about to scream or cry out in terror, I noticed something moving from within the crowd of monsters, making its way to the front.

I watched as it made its way slowly to the front of crowd. The moment it emerged my eyes and throat dried up, and I was mute and paralyzed with sheer terror. This creature emanated death with a presence that was so palpable I could feel its inevitability throughout ever fiber of my being. The figure wore a cloak so black that it seemed to destroy the light that toched it and I could perceive nothing but darkness under its hood. In its left hand it bore a scythe with a massive sharpened blade. Unable to cry, unable to speak, unable to move under the force of terror that gripped me, I watched silently as it raised the skeletal fingers of its right hand to the shaft of the scythe, and raised up the the killing blade, making ready for the slash that would end it. I watched as the scythe swung down, and felt it as it tore through my neck and when it was done, when my head had been severed, I felt myself die. And then I woke up.

This is only the earliest dream I can remember, and so I remember it vividly and will remember it forever. It is not the weirdest or the most disturbing, in fact it doesn't even make the top ten. This one, however, I can put into words, the others....I still don't have words to describe them.

Ignition
2010-09-02, 09:14 AM
I had a dream two nights ago where I was a secret agent in training, and I was working with a female secret agent who was training me (think Chuck but without Adam Baldwin, and therefore less awesome). Eventually I found out that she was fraternizing with a female secret agent from another faction, and she convinced me to essentially be her 'beard' (I don't know what the term is for a lesbian who acts in public like she's dating a guy; I'm using 'beard' since that, as I understand it, is when a gay guy 'dates' a woman to avoid being found out as gay) as well as helping her betray the country in some really round-about way.

banjo1985
2010-09-02, 10:16 AM
So does anyone else dream in colour?

I dream in colour too, though they're often not realistic colours for the situation. I've also dreamed with a Sepia tint, which was kind of weird.

As for freaky dreams, I've just posted the one I had last night in the Waht terrifies you? thread, as it's royally messed me up for most of today. Guess I'll put it here too:

I'm in an old gothic mansion, I go upstairs to a closed scarlet door. I listen, and hear a wet thumping sound from the room beyond. I don't know why I'm there, what I'm looking for, anything. But I open the door, to find an old wooden table in the middle of a barren room, with a stout wide tungsten spike rammed intoit from the underside, so that it sticks out a good nine inches from the table surface. There's a young woman I don't recognise in a blue dress, staring into the middle distance as she repeatedly rams her right temple hard onto the spike, again and again and again. There's loads of blood, but she doesn't seem to mind...then I woke up.

It's doubly strange as I don't often remember dreams when I've woken up, but this one is still vivid in my mind.

I hope it doesn't turn up again tonight...I recognise that old house from somewhere. :smalleek:

Wardog
2010-09-02, 03:53 PM

Yes, several, and at least one within the last week or two, although I can't remember anything about it anymore.

I did have an odd dream a couple of nights ago, about the computer controling all the US's nukes gaining sentience. Except, rather than doing a Skynet and trying to destroy humanity, it decided that the nuclear weapons themselves were the greatest threat to peace, and decided to get rid of them by launching them all into the middle of the ocean.

Of course, launching all of the US's nukes simultaneously, could easily be mistaken for a hostile act by other nuclear powers, so first the computer had to hack into the Russian military network and upload a copy of itself so that it could simultaneously launch all the Russian missiles into the ocean as well (other nations didn't seem to feature in the dream).

This all resulted in massive panic (understandably) by various nations, given that all they knew was that the computer had gone rogue, was launching all thier missiles, and the other nation was (apparently) retaliating, leading to a mad rush as they and the computer tried to out-wit each other.

The doubly weird thing about this dream is that initially all this took the form of me (dreaming that I was) having an idea for a story. But then as I was watching a film on TV (in the dream), the film started showing my story idea, and then later still it turned into it all happening for real (with the added complication that one of the missiles for some reason was going to hit Hawaii rather than land harmlessly in the ocean).

Then a bit more stuff happened (can't remember much), and I woke up. Or rather dreamed that I woke up, at least twice, meaning I ended up having at least three nested dreams.

Creed
2010-09-02, 07:26 PM

I had a dream like that once.

One morning I woke up surprised to see a man standing in the corner of my room. He was taller than me, although no exact height, and was skinny. His white skin showed no shadows or had any difinitive shade of white, he had no face, but he stared at everything dangerously, like the Mona Lisa. He was dressed in a black pinstriped suit, he had a golden ring on his middle finger.

I saw the man and felt as if he were unimportant. Myself within the dream wanted to investigate further, but I found myself ignoring his exsistence and progressing into the bathroom for my morning shower. As I showered, there his reflection leaned against a wall in the mirror. He cast no shadow under the bright light of my bathroom, and seemed to take up no space at all. He seemed to look over my shoulder as brushed my teeth.

I walked down the hall of my upstairs and out the door, all the way the white man took long strides without making any sound. He seemed to lift himself as if he were light as a feather, and fell to Earth as if he waighed a ton. My in-dream self continued to ignore the man, although I still wnated to investigate him.

The street outside my house was different than usual. It was more like a straight street downtown, where apartments and skyscrapers sat side by side. Occasionally a short house stood at the side of the road. I was the only one walking along, the whole while the white man followed me, his feet fell at the exact same time I did. When I stopped, he did too.

I turned into an open park. Trees dotted the grassy field and children pranced, frollicked, and played. The white man still stood behind me, staring over my shoulder as if he used my eyes for his own. I walked along a path that I knew surrounded the park. As I walked along I noticed the white man sitting in a tree, eating a pearl white apple with a loud crunch. He vanished the second I saw him and appeared sitting on a bench next to an old man dressed in funeral attire, the white man read the paper. Out of the corner of my eye I saw two children playing, one male, one female. They tossed a ball back and forth and played, suddenly, the boy turned his face to me and showed the white faceless face of the white man. The path ended to reveal a wide open field, the white man still behind me, looking into my soul.

I ran in fear. Each step felt like an eternity and as I stepped more and more, the white man grew in size. I ran as hard as I could till I could run no more, which apparently was caused by me being standing at the edge of an obligatory cliff. At the base of the cliff, a cyan ocean stretched to the horizon and the sky met at the point. I turned to face the white man. Now twice my height and still as skinny as before. I was too scared to say anything but found my dream self mouthing the words "Who are you?" directed at the white man.

An eternity passed till I recieved the answer.

"You decide."

As I was about to respond the white man funally opened his (apparently closed) eyes. They were bright and colorless. The bright light quickly spread out of his eyes and engulfed the universe.

I woke up, smothered in a damp blainket.

It took days of pondering untill annother dream finally revealed the answer. Death stalks us every day, everywhere. You cannot run from it, it will catch you. You cannot see it coming, it has too many faces. All we can do is pretend it's not there, and go about our lives with the white man forever looking over our shoulders.

Woah...
Mind=Blown
=O___...
that's... hardcore...

JohnOfOrdo3
2010-09-13, 04:14 PM
I can't remember most of my dreams, the one which always stuck in my head will do though. But first I want to ask something.

Has anyone else experienced this? When I dream everything is blurry, as if I wasn't wearing my glasses. I've just always found it weird, anyone else I ask tell me they see fine in dreams. =/

Anyway, on to the Bizarreo story!

So I'm a penguin. and I'm ice skating with all the other penguins in a snowy environment. Off in the distance there's a vivid purple lightning storm. Upon seeing it I'm told by the other penguins that I must flee, so I do.

Not to sure how but I break through the walls of my primary school (think 6-11 years) and get into the assemble hall, which has chains hanging from the ceiling down to the floors. I don't know how I know, but I know that something is coming so I turn to some people who are suddenly standing next to me and say "don't worry I'll be fine, I can fly!"

I proceed to gain the powers of levitation and fly up to one of the chains and, holding on to it, watch the door I came in from for whatever is about to appear. I am surprised when I hear a loud bang and look up to my level (20 feet in the air? something like that) to discover a t-rex has broken through the wall and is charging through the air towards me. I then let go of the chain to find I can no longer fly.

The room is suddenly filled with tables as if it were set up for lunch, the t-rex crashes down nearby also finding it's gravity defying antics frowned upon by what ever dream logic spawned them. I also feel sad because the people who I said I could fly to have mysterious died from the dream deciding they didn't need to exist anymore.

So I kick the t-rex in the face saying "come on, I want to die" in then sniffs me twice, lunges forwards and swallows me whole. I then go through a rollercoaster ride down it's throat into a gigantic green cavern which I think must have been it's stomach. Before I hit the ground/soup/snake-scales I closed my eyes and everything goes black for about six second.

For this six seconds my body refuses to breath.

I then wake up quietly, crying and feeling miserable. I was about 8.

That dream has stayed with me throughout my life, not to sure why. Then again the only other dream I can remember is a recurring dream involving an evil cow... If you'd like I can tell you that one as well. :smallwink:

Coidzor
2010-09-13, 05:37 PM
fairly regularly

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-13, 05:42 PM
i once dreamed that all my mates and i were playing poker on a bridge while the world ended

Terumitsu
2010-09-13, 05:54 PM
I'm another of those 'color dreamers' with everything being a realistic color. Or when it's not 'realistic' it's at least characature-ish (I hope I didn't mangle that spelling.) with colors being much more vivid.

Something I do wonder about... How about Texture or Music? Are those common in anyone else's dreams? By texture, I mean anything from the wallpaper to the carpeting to whatever clothes other people in your dream are wearing.

As for a recent dream with music, I dreamed something of a 'Royal Announcement' theme on a nice band of french horns. It then lapsed into a rather pleasent background song with a "Ba-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta! Ba-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta!" to underscore what was otherwise a mildly disturbing dream.

The dream itself? As best I can remember, it had a queen-figure with a tall golden crown wearing red and white fur. She was old and very wrinkled but her skin was as pink as a child's... And she was going about swallowing first the members of the court to the furniture to the very stones from the walls and floors. I didn't get to finish it cause my alarm woke me up though...

Lord Loss
2010-09-13, 07:41 PM
My dreams are generally first or third person, with colors. They vary from vivid to blurry. Also, there is sound but rarely music and my other senses are never used. I'll share a few strange dreams tomorrow.

Ilena
2010-09-13, 08:19 PM
Not sure if this counts as a dream or not but 2 nights ago i was laying awake in my bed and i swear i was awake as i JUSt got into bed but i felt a presence in my room and a clawed hand, humanoid but scaleyish and greenish in color came out of a portal of blackness and i clasped arms with it to make a deal i think :S i still feel where the claws pressed into my skin on my arm, 2 days later :S

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-09-13, 08:23 PM
Wait, you are unsure as to whether it was a dream or not?

Grab a cricket bat, and check under your bed.

Mando Knight
2010-09-13, 09:14 PM
I dream in color, and I wasn't aware that people didn't dream in color until it was brought up. (And no, no cracks about dreaming in colour rather than color. You know what I mean. :smallannoyed::smallamused:)

I don't have any interesting dream-stories to pass around (other than the time I was a Green Lantern battling Sinestro in a Wal-Mart style supermarket, or the more recent time I was Superman in a fairly cheesy-looking world and all of my powers worked by thinking about the sound effects they made...), but generally my dreams have two main differences that separate them from life:

1.) I'm in various states of undress (Gee, couldn't possibly be because I'm in such a state when I fall asleep, could it?), yet generally it takes me a while to actually feel that the state is "wrong," even if I'm stark naked...
2.) Towards the end of the dream, I cannot keep my eyes open. I only go blind when I'm dreaming, and like 1.) above, it's possibly because my eyes are closed when I'm asleep.

Linkavitch
2010-09-13, 09:14 PM
Well, no Weird freaky dreams, But weird AWESOME one: I was at a favorite bands rock concert, and I was asked to go on tour with them.

Maxios
2010-09-13, 09:19 PM
It says on wikipedia that only a small amount of people don't dream in color. I'm not in that small amount as I dream in color.

Admiral Squish
2010-09-13, 10:03 PM
I had a couple strange dreams. Very, very strange.

It wasn't a personal dream with me involved, it was more like watching a movie, which is odd.

The first thing I see is an endless field of white mist that stretches on in all directions. The sky is orange-yellow, like the very beginning of a sunset. There's a rumble as suddenly something huge pushes up through the mist, a massive pillar of barren rock. Equidistant around the outer edge of the top are three Japanese-style gates. Then, three creatures appear. Huge beings, they look like blond gorillas with shark-like jaws and the rear halves of elephants, like some weird gryphon-thing.

The three beasts stepped up to the gates, and the gates began to glow, one blue, one red, and one green. Suddenly, a burst of light flashed from each gate in a wide cone. There was another rumble as more pillars began to emerge, though they were much smaller than the gate-pillar.

Here, the world seemed to fast-forward. It was like everything was moving at ten times the normal speed, but it wasn't jumpy like when you fast forward a movie. Life emerged, and the pillars turned green with plants. Animals came next, then men. Small villages, then towns, then cities. Ships skimmed over the mist between pillars, growing larger and more elaborate as it went. But the center pillar, the gate pillar, remained untouched by the flourishing life.

Then, the world slowed again and there was a man. He had a golden spear and he was standing on the gate-pillar. The beasts were still standing at their gates as he ran them through one by one. They bled, the color of their blood matching the color of their gate's light. Somehow, the hero contained their blood inside a trio of wells, each capped with a terracotta lid.

The world went fast-forward again. Towns became cities. Cities became metropolises. Man moved onto the gate pillar, and spread to the very limits, though the gates remained.

Then I saw a woman. She was an ex-hero of this place, and she was crying. She could hear a voice in her head telling her it was time, and she begged the voice to stop, to not make her do it. But eventually, she rose, her face streaming tears, and grabbed a syringe, walking to her daughter's room. Her daughter was young, probably about six, and she had silvery hair. The girl started crying when she saw the syringe, begging her mommy not to do it. But the woman did it, however reluctantly, sinking the silvery needle into her daughter's arm and drawing a full pull of blood. She kissed her daughter on the forehead and went downstairs. In the middle of her cement floor there was torn-up part where a Terracotta lid sat. The woman removed a wedding ring off her finger and slipped it around the full syringe. Lifting the terracotta lid, she looked at the roiling blue-on-black blood and tossed the syringe into it. The bood began to rise instantly, flooding out of the well and filling the basement at an amazing pace.

Zoom out, and the blue-black blood flooded the pillar, not running off the sides though. As it spread, two other floods began, one of green-on black, the other of red-on black. Then. once the entire pillar was flooded, the three pools ran of the island in waterfalls, each passing through their gate. Then the sky went dark. There was a laugh as out of the distance strode a massive figure. It looked like a man with ivory skin that was walking through the mist, but it had a wolf's head and black ram's horns. The mist rose to his waist, and his horns scraped the sky, his fingers were larger than some pillars. He laughed, a evil, terrible laugh, and then looked straight at ME. Then I woke up.

This one was also like a movie, which, seeing all my other dreams were first-person, made it wierd. Also, this is from when I was very, very young.

I was a guest at the castle of a great king. I was a hero, so I deserved it, and me and my furry boy friend were playing around. There was a huge ly tall pair of doors deep in the castle with a sign that said 'do not open' on it.

My friend was telling me to open it. I told him it was dangerous, but he told me that we would just take a quick peek and it would be fine. So, I stood on his shoulders and cracked open the door just the tiniest bit and looked inside it.

Inside the room was a sea of black, churning water that went on for further than I could see. As soon as the door opened, It began to escape, flowing along the ground like a living thing. Everywhere it went, it was like it was opening a tar pit beneath it. Things just slowly sank into that black water, screaming and struggling. The king was sucked under and he shouted some kind of warning, throwing me a huge key.

As the watery stuff spread, flowing up stairs and around corners, consuming everything, me and my friend were freaking out. I somehow knew there was a keyhole inside the room where we'd found the dark water first, and we started towards it again.

I don't remember a lot after this. There was a really cartoon-y boat that we sailed on the dark water and an old man floating on an upturned umbrella, but that's all I can peice together. I don't even remember if I saved everyone.

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-13, 10:08 PM
Not sure if this counts as a dream or not but 2 nights ago i was laying awake in my bed and i swear i was awake as i JUSt got into bed but i felt a presence in my room and a clawed hand, humanoid but scaleyish and greenish in color came out of a portal of blackness and i clasped arms with it to make a deal i think :S i still feel where the claws pressed into my skin on my arm, 2 days later :S

same here. i sleep with a relic around my neck now

The Big Dice
2010-09-13, 10:13 PM
I'm so jealous of people who can remember their dreams. I know I dream, but as soon as I wake up, they're gone.

On the other hand, my wife has crazy vivid dreams and she can remember them days or even weeks later. I keep telling her to keep a dream journal so she can turn them into short stories and books (it worked for Stephen King back in the day) so we can get rich. But she never does.

Ilena
2010-09-13, 10:14 PM
same here. i sleep with a relic around my neck now

a relic? whats that? and ya i dont think i was sleeping yet so i doubt its a dream :S

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-13, 10:19 PM
a relic? whats that? and ya i dont think i was sleeping yet so i doubt its a dream :S

it's something that has some religious significance or has touched something of religious significance

Ilena
2010-09-13, 11:53 PM
it's something that has some religious significance or has touched something of religious significance

ah, so is that some kind of protection or something?

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-14, 09:31 PM
ah, so is that some kind of protection or something?
i guess, it feels good to have it when i sleep

(the iron i have in front of my window and door dont hurt either :p)

Dr.Epic
2010-09-15, 12:06 PM
I had a dream last night I was viciously attacked by hordes of angry cats.

SaintRidley
2010-09-15, 04:36 PM
Had one a couple years ago that I actually remembered.

I was trying to save Christmas from Sephiroth and Arthur Weasley and their army of bears.