PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite specific weapon in the DMG

Duncan_Ruadrik
2010-09-02, 12:38 AM
A funny question that I was for about 20 minutes there...
Whats your favorite specific weapon in the 3.5 Dungeon Master Guide? Is it a Sword of Subtlety? Sword of Life Stealing? Oathbow?

Give your opinion and why. Remember, specific weapon, not a nameless +5 vorpal battle axe, for example.

Lord_Gareth
2010-09-02, 12:42 AM
I like the Luckblade. It's always been, well, lucky for me. I roll better holding it, and that's before I factor in the bonuses. Go go lucky shortswords!

Gralamin
2010-09-02, 01:57 AM
Holy Avenger. Mostly because of one villain I had. He carried around a Holy Avenger and a Luckblade, and would give the Holy Avenger to his foes if they were Paladins, a sort of honorable dueler.

Temotei
2010-09-02, 02:15 AM
I like the sun blade.

Cespenar
2010-09-02, 07:05 AM
I like the masterwork silver dagger.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-02, 07:10 AM
I like the masterwork silver dagger.

Masterwork Adamantine Dagger = the ultimate letter opener for your cleric to chuck at a wall to avoid the inscrutable fall!

dsmiles
2010-09-02, 07:15 AM
All time favorite is the Final Word Broadswords from the AD&D UA, but in 3.5 i have to go with the rennaissance-era firearms. The specific magic weapons in 3.5 were absolutely craptastic, IMO.

SurlySeraph
2010-09-02, 08:18 AM
The Nine Lives Stealer, because it's a pretty cheap way to get save-or-die effects, and there are a few spells that let you get an automatic critical hit and therefore use it at will. (Ranger + Warblade + Bloodstorm Blade + Hunter's Mercy is a good way, though having a build whose scariest trick is to chuck a necromantic sword at you is admittedly silly).

Tetsubo 57
2010-09-02, 10:37 AM
Frost Brand or Sunsword. It's a really tough call.

But my favorite weapon related magic item would be the Rod of Lordly Might. The Swiss Army Knife of magic items. :)

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-09-02, 10:38 AM
For me it was always a toss-up between the Holy Avenger and the Sunblade.

hotel_papa
2010-09-02, 10:51 AM
Oathbow, all the way. It's got badass built in. I don't care if archery is weak in D&D, this thing is a monster of flavor and goodness.

The_Admiral
2010-09-02, 10:59 AM
Masterwork Heavy Repeating Crossbow

Grommen
2010-09-02, 11:06 AM
+25 Holy Dancing Vorporal Luck Blade

If I can't have one of those I'll go with a +5 Defender.

Delwugor
2010-09-02, 11:32 AM
Dwarven Thrower.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-02, 02:20 PM
I like the sun blade.

same here.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-02, 04:39 PM
The Nine Lives Stealer, because it's a pretty cheap way to get save-or-die effects, and there are a few spells that let you get an automatic critical hit and therefore use it at will. (Ranger + Warblade + Bloodstorm Blade + Hunter's Mercy is a good way, though having a build whose scariest trick is to chuck a necromantic sword at you is admittedly sillyawesome).

FTFY

and my favorite weapon has to be the one that Robilars wields in ELH... Blade of black ice, the name just oozes flavor and I start to giggle when I think of using a five shadow enervating ice strike with a blade of black ice.

Zhalath
2010-09-02, 08:30 PM
Sunblade, for being able to dual wield them easily as a halfling rogue. I felt like Yoda.

Glimbur
2010-09-02, 08:37 PM
Sword of Subtlety. I had a character in a tournament module once with the thing and I really like it. It's like a discount on your +X, because as a rogue you should be all sneak attack all the time.

Crow
2010-09-02, 08:43 PM
I really like the Flame Tongue...I just can't put my finger on why.

Hawriel
2010-09-02, 10:11 PM
The cursed berzerker

Bob the Urgh
2010-09-02, 11:34 PM
gnome skewer

Draz74
2010-09-03, 12:55 AM
Another vote for the Adamantine Dagger, as an oft-overlooked object that pretty much any high-level (i.e. wealthy) adventurer really should probably pick up, just for its extreme usefulness in day-to-day tasks that often get glossed over in roleplaying.

Second place Sun Blade. Partly for having unique (but easy to adjudicate) mechanics, partly out of Lone Wolf nostalgia.

gnome skewer

Not in the DMG, sadly. :smallwink:

Zen Master
2010-09-03, 02:25 AM
Frost Brand or Sunsword. It's a really tough call.

But my favorite weapon related magic item would be the Rod of Lordly Might. The Swiss Army Knife of magic items. :)

I'll second the frostbrand.

In one ancient campaign - a Darksun game - our group fighter gish found a dead hero encased in ice, something of a rarity on Athas. After a few smashes of a hammer, we were able to get at his weapon - an intact greatsword sheethed in ice. So he swung it against a rock, and with a singing *clang* all the ice exploded off, revealing a fabulously well-made steel weapon.

A glorious moment. The DM presented the discovery extremely well.

(on a sidenote, frostbrand is one of the most powerful weapons we've ever used - even at level 12-15, which this was)

GodGoblin
2010-09-03, 04:25 AM
My favorite is the Staff of Viper (I think thats the name) simply because its turns into a snake! Its all you need for a Biblical stand off :smallcool:

Other than that yet another vote for the Adamantine dagger, I didnt realise the usefulness until I read this thread but I want me one now!

prufock
2010-09-03, 07:03 AM
Rapier of Puncturing. Touch attack, 1d6 Con damage? Yes, thank you.

Knaight
2010-09-03, 08:00 AM
Oathbow, all the way. It's got badass built in. I don't care if archery is weak in D&D, this thing is a monster of flavor and goodness.

As someone who's only use for D&D items is to lift them and put them in fantasy in other systems, I agree. Sure, some minor refluffing is needed, but the basic concept is nothing short of beautiful. The only cooler magic items I've seen and stolen were a magma staff* and a wand of armor**.

*Ramp building? Check. Steam production? Check. Heating an area? Check. Spraying it at someone? Check, though it is easy to dodge.

**Only because of the example use given in the text. Spam it on a knight riding away from you until the knight and horse are both overburdened by ever growing layers of armor.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-03, 08:34 AM
My favorite specific weapon IS the DMG.

Telonius
2010-09-03, 09:27 AM
No question about it, my favorite is the Trident of Fish Command.

"You have defeated Moltar, the Fire Mage. In his hoard you find seventy-five Alchemist's Fires, a wand of Fireball, three +1 Flaming daggers, and a Trident of Fish Command!"

"Buried just below the surface of the burning desert, you see something glinting. Upon closer inspection, you find that it's a Trident of Fish Command."

Favorite weapon, as a weapon? Sword of Subtlety or Sun Blade, depending on whether or not you're fighting a lot of Undead.

nargbop
2010-09-03, 11:55 PM
Stepping out of the DMG... Souldrinker from the Epic Level Handbook is the most superb thing that a Paladin of Tyranny can hold, ever. For more thematically appropriate effects, have your Artificer apply Vampiric and Wounding to it.

true_shinken
2010-09-04, 12:53 AM
Like many other, I'm also a fan of the sunblade.

Outside the DMG, I'm madly in love with Blackrazor. It's just so awesome!

dsmiles
2010-09-04, 05:36 AM
My favorite specific weapon IS the DMG.

For those who don't know, it's:

Dungeon Master's Guide
Cost: $35; DMG(S): N/A; DMG(M): 1d8; Crit: 19-20(x2); RI: N/A; Wgt: 2lb.; Type: Bludgeoning.
The Dungeon Master's Guide is a small book-shaped weapon that inflict damage only on those who anger the Dungeon Master. It may be thrown as a ranged touch attack up to 20 feet, with a +3 bonus, and it inflicts non-lethal damage.
:smalltongue:

Tyndmyr
2010-09-04, 07:13 AM
and it inflicts non-lethal damage.

Oh, that entirely depends on the DM.

DarkEternal
2010-09-04, 08:49 AM
I like the Oathbow. It's got it's drawbacks, like being used once per day to it's full potential, but if you save that thing for a fight that matters, you'll be doing a crapload of damage that monster, no matter what hell hole it was spawned from.

dsmiles
2010-09-04, 09:01 AM
Oh, that entirely depends on the DM.

I try not to inflict lethal damage on my players. I have big foam dice that I throw at them when one of them gets hit with 'Smite Stupid Player.'

EagleWiz
2010-09-04, 02:28 PM
Apparatus of Qualish (sp?)

Yes, its a rather suboptimal item but its a tank shaped like a crab! Whats not to love.