PDA

View Full Version : Ways to mess with 1st Level Eberron Players (My Players Keep Out™)

Dubious Pie
2010-09-02, 02:11 AM
If you are one of the players in my Skype game, any sort of cheating by reading stuff I post about the game or reading the adventure I am running will be punished severely.

How should I add fun mindscrews and odd little things for a group of 6ish players going through the ECS adventure?

Tetrasodium
2010-09-02, 09:34 AM
How should I add fun mindscrews and odd little things for a group of 6ish players going through the ECS adventure?

That's kind of vague without some details about the group and what sort of things you are doing/have planned already.

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-02, 10:26 AM
First, I must ask: which continent of Eberron are you doing?

I know that in Xen'drik, the Minotaurs DUAL WIELD GREATAXES. Don't ask me how.

I also know that somewhere else, barbarian halfings ride tyrannosaurs.

Just start with that and build from there.

hotel_papa
2010-09-02, 11:04 AM
If you simply want to add features that weird the party out, then any of the myriad creations of the Daelkyr work, which is to say most aberrations in general.

How political is the game? Some of the secret powers behind the thrones can be major mind games.

Halae
2010-09-02, 11:10 AM
same way you screw with them in other games - throw them for a loop. I once had "The Chickenmancer" as a recurring character and plot device in one of my games. I know that in the last eberron game I played in we were really confused by a warforged talking to us in the stereotypical gay accent. If there's a high charisma character in the group make him or her the object of affection for someone they really would rather not want to be with - I suggest an ogre, or a wererat, or maybe a necromancer who sends hearts... real hearts.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-02, 11:38 AM
Can you say "Manifest zone of Xoriat"?

Venerable
2010-09-02, 12:27 PM
It's Eberron, which means lots of factions working at cross-purposes! If you're playing 3.5, I recommend stealing a page from the 4e adventure and adding a competing party to the adventure. What fun it is when you're fighting an enemy for possession of the maguffin, and then an unknown group shows up mid-fight. Do you trust them--for the moment, at least--or fight on two fronts?

halfdragon62
2010-09-19, 05:25 AM
I'm running an Eberron campaign myself, and I came up with an idea for a BBEG that I think you could put to good use.
(By the way, if anyone in my game is reading this, divert now or risk my wrath!)

I'm using a fallen angel, a Solar who claims to have once been an apprentice to Onatar before being cast down and imprisoned in a massive clockwork tower/lock/prison... Without going into too much depth, he is responsible for the collapse of the ancient giant kingdoms and indirectly responsible for the day of Mourning. Being trapped within his prison in Xen'drik, this angel has developed the power of possession (Book of Vile Darkness), and now goes out in ethereal form to prove that mortals (both giants and humanoids) are responsible for their own failings and not him. the only difference with his possession is that I allow him to control a victim for hours at a time, and bump up his CR by 3 instead of 2. beauty of this is that you can potentially throw a possessed victim at the players from a reasonably early level... And he keeps coming back. He also sings a particular song over and over again, so my players will get really freaked out when they hear "Ti-ime... is on my si-ide... Yes it is!" after they think they've done in their rival. And of course, the fallen angel might just get the idea to "hop on board" one of the pcs for a while, see what they see, hear what they hear... then bring these things up next time players run into him when he's possessed another NPC. Of course, the shock value will wear off once they figure out he's some kind of possessing spirit, so you should try to keep the players guessing about what they're dealing with for as long as possible.

Happy dming!:smallbiggrin: