PDA

View Full Version : The best build your DM never let you play

Admiral Squish
2010-09-02, 02:18 AM
So, I keep wanting to make this character. Hexblade 6/Cabinet trickster 5/mindspy 5/warshaper 4. The problem is, my DM keeps turning it down. I asked about it as an aside yesterday and he tells me that the concept's too much work, since I'd be reading everyone's brains all the time and he'd have to come up with the thoughts of too many NPCs and I'd spoil too many people's lies.

And then there's stretchybear, Barb 5/Weretouched master 5/ Warshaper 4/War Hulk 6. He said Str 70 was just too ridiculous.

Anyways, tell your favorite builds that your DMs never allowed.

Heliomance
2010-09-02, 05:27 AM
Str 70's nothing. I came up with a level 15 gestalt character with Str 92 when raging.

The build that I really want to play in a non-serious game someday is a half-ogre bear totem barbarian/drunken master with the snatch, multisnatch and greater multisnatch feats. Pick up your enemies and beat their allies around the face with them!

Plus, if you roll a natural 1, that dwarf you just picks up "falls apart and becomes useless".

Greenish
2010-09-02, 10:04 AM
The build that I really want to play in a non-serious game someday is a half-ogre bear totem barbarian/drunken master with the snatch, multisnatch and greater multisnatch feats. Pick up your enemies and beat their allies around the face with them!Remember to grab some hulking hurler so you can throw them around. :smallamused:

Kylarra
2010-09-02, 10:07 AM
Beguiler Beguiler!
Anything with incantatrix or IotSV

Ernir
2010-09-02, 10:11 AM
Psion 20. :smallfrown:

Vulaas
2010-09-02, 10:32 AM
I am unfortunately notorious within my group for knowing many optimization tricks, so many of my builds are not allowed (though for some reason they're in one game allowing me to play a Spellcaster generic, so...)

I think the one I would have enjoyed most that they turned down would have been a sword of the arcane order Paladin. Said they didn't want the hassle of that book.

Instead, they were perfectly fine with me making a Sorcadin monstrosity. (Isn't Sorcadin the verbal component to "Summon Pd6"?)

WeeFreeMen
2010-09-02, 10:38 AM
-WARNING!: With non intent to de-rail or troll do I say this..

Our last DM, was running a future campaign. Guns were common but ammo was rare, etc etc. Almost a more survivor-esk FallOut.

Anyway, I wanted to make a Monk/Sunder-er.
He said it was to OP because then they wouldn't have any weapons and we'd have to run through the unarmed combat rules.. etc etc.

I was /sadpanda

hotel_papa
2010-09-02, 10:57 AM
Malconvoker who summons Legion Devils. At higher levels, more Legion Devils. At higher levels than that... Legion Devils with class levels.

Milskidasith
2010-09-02, 10:59 AM
Malconvoker who summons Legion Devils. At higher levels, more Legion Devils. At higher levels than that... Legion Devils with class levels.

Class levels in...

:smallcool:

Malconvoker.

YEEEAAAAAAAAAAOOoooh wait Malconvoker is a non evil PrC only.

Ramza1987
2010-09-02, 11:51 AM
A dragonwrought Kobold (loredrake, spellhoarding) Warblade1/sorcerer5/JPM1/Abj. champion5/JPM9.

My DM banned that build because he thinks ToB Classes are too powerful. :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2010-09-02, 12:19 PM
A dragonwrought Kobold (loredrake, spellhoarding) Warblade1/sorcerer5/JPM1/Abj. champion5/JPM9.

My DM banned that build because he thinks ToB Classes are too powerful.Well, seriously, you'd end up with IL 16 and several different maneuvers with that build by ECL 21! Your 8th level maneuver would break the epic level play wide open!

Ramza1987
2010-09-02, 12:22 PM
By character Lvl 20 i end with IL 16, and CL 20 i think.

subject42
2010-09-02, 12:23 PM
I once put together an Incarnate/Ur-Priest/Contemplative/Sapphire Hierarch just to see how my DM would react.

He read it over, did some math, then banned it on sight and instituted a new house rule saying that no one build was allowed to have more than two prestige classes in it.

Ramza1987
2010-09-02, 12:24 PM
At least your DM checked the build, mine didnīt even bothered, just banned it, by knowing i used things from ToB. :smallbiggrin:

subject42
2010-09-02, 12:29 PM
At least your DM checked the build, mine didnīt even bothered, just banned it, by knowing i used things from ToB. :smallbiggrin:

He's right, you know. Being able to do an additional ~11d6 damage once or twice per combat would be overwhelmingly broken.

Tharck
2010-09-02, 12:56 PM
Halfling Rogue 10, Shadowdancer 1 with stealthy, skill focus hide, skill focus umd, weapon finesse, 21 DEX, 12 STR.

That wasn't allowed, it's the only build of mine that wasn't since im not a PC very often.

liquid150
2010-09-02, 12:58 PM
Halfling Rogue 10, Shadowdancer 1 with stealthy, skill focus hide, skill focus umd, weapon finesse, 21 DEX, 12 STR.

That wasn't allowed, it's the only build of mine that wasn't since im not a PC very often.

This makes me want to cry.

Greenish
2010-09-02, 01:09 PM
By character Lvl 20 i end with IL 16, and CL 20 i think.By character level 20, you'd have 1 (warblade) + 5 ([5sorc + 5Abchamp]/2) + 9 (JPM) = 15 IL.

You'd cast as a 5 (sorcerer) + 5 (abchamp) + 2 (loredrake) + 1 (greater dragonic rite) + 7 (JPM) = 18th level wizard, with CL 21 with Practiced Spellcaster.

Ramza1987
2010-09-02, 01:52 PM
I wasnīt taking into account the rites; and counted wrong; its 8 levels of JPM.
So 5 sorcerer lvls, 5 abjurant champion lvls, 7 JPM lvls; loredrake= CL 19
And Warblade lvl 1; JPM lvl 9; 2 5lvl between sorc, and Abj. champion= IL 15.

That was my thought, at least. hope i didnīt derrailed the thread too much ...

Greenish
2010-09-02, 02:12 PM
I wasnīt taking into account the rites; and counted wrong; its 8 levels of JPM.
So 5 sorcerer lvls, 5 abjurant champion lvls, 7 JPM lvls; loredrake= CL 19JPM loses casting on 1st and 6th levels, so you'd end up with casting of 18th level wizard.

Lord Vampyre
2010-09-02, 02:22 PM
Plus, if you roll a natural 1, that dwarf you just picks up "falls apart and becomes useless".

Rolling a natural 1, is suppose to be whatever is most detrimental to the player. Therefore the fact that the dwarf becomes useless to you probably means that he just successfully got away without taking damage that turn.
At least that would be my ruling as the DM.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-02, 03:36 PM
Psion.

Because everyone knows that psionics are horribly, horribly broken.

MachineWraith
2010-09-02, 03:51 PM
Warlock 8

No Hellfire shenanigans, nothing. I got to play one session as him, then got told that he was too powerful. Meanwhile we had Druidzilla who could probably have soloed most of the encounters, a cleric who focused on buffing himself into a combat monster, and a wizard who played the God wizard.

I was like, "Buh?" :smallconfused:

Darklord Xavez
2010-09-02, 04:02 PM
My DM banned that build because he thinks ToB Classes are too powerful. :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:

And they are, too.

Anyways, back to the thread.
-Xavez

Greenish
2010-09-02, 04:07 PM
Warlock 8

No Hellfire shenanigans, nothing. I got to play one session as him, then got told that he was too powerful. Meanwhile we had Druidzilla who could probably have soloed most of the encounters, a cleric who focused on buffing himself into a combat monster, and a wizard who played the God wizard.But, but, they could technically run out of spells!

And they are, too.Ah, that. No winners this round, folks, better luck next time!

liquid150
2010-09-02, 04:10 PM
And they are, too.

Anyways, back to the thread.
-Xavez

Hi Welcome

IdleMuse
2010-09-02, 04:42 PM
But, but, they could technically run out of spells!

I can't believe how often my new group (sadface) uses this as an arguement as to why Paladin is better than Cleric. *facepalm*

Ramza1987
2010-09-02, 04:44 PM
There are many misteries, in life... the opinion of a few is one of them.

MachineWraith
2010-09-02, 05:19 PM
I can't believe how often my new group (sadface) uses this as an arguement as to why Paladin is better than Cleric. *facepalm*

Yeah, one of the most intelligent people I know, and the guy who got me into D&D in the first place, argues that a fighter is equal to a wizard, because the fighter's sword never runs out. Makes me :smallfrown:

Daelen
2010-09-02, 05:21 PM
First Eberron game I ever played in, I wanted to play a Cleric/Radiant Servant Of Pelor (or the Silver Flame, in this case)... my DM didn't like the idea of porting the class in, because "Pelor doesn't exist in Eberron"... :smallfrown:

Kylarra
2010-09-02, 05:39 PM
Yeah, one of the most intelligent people I know, and the guy who got me into D&D in the first place, argues that a fighter is equal to a wizard, because the fighter's sword never runs out. Makes me :smallfrown:Well in 2e that was certainly a viable reason. :smalltongue:

Roga
2010-09-02, 08:58 PM
I don't have the exact build with me atm, but I had a metamage that actually got allowed for 1 combat. Till they saw me energy admixture a spell with 3 elements, Full reserves of Strength, and Maximized/Empowered. It was around 432+32d6 damage.

Incantrix, Halruuan Elder, Easy Metamagic, Metamagic School Focus, Arcane Thesis, Practical metamagic, Reserves of Strength, and other tricks were used.

Morithias
2010-09-02, 11:46 PM
Just after getting a tip off this website and telling one friend about my upgraded build, my other friend announced he was restarting a war-based campaign he ran a long time ago needless to say when I asked "can I swap out my character for something else?" he went "No you cannot walk into the capital of the kingdom and declare yourself their general."

Needless to say it seems he's either on this site or words travel faster than I thought.

Other than that....probably the merchant prince, most DM's don't like PC's with trillions of free gold.

Makiru
2010-09-03, 01:58 AM
Kaorti Telepath 10/Fiend of Possession 6. The best part is that it wasn't even my DM that rejected it. One of my friends wanted a silly build in case the game he was in needed some serious derailing, so I gave him that and the Legion transmuter. His DM shot it down immediately at suggestion, due to him realizing it was one of the most unkillable things he'd ever seen.

Legion wizard got rejected, too, in case you were curious.

I've also never been allowed to play a VoP troll who uses his own arm as a club, then gives it to the homeless as food. Why? Because trolls are OP, obviously!

Heliomance
2010-09-03, 12:09 PM
Rolling a natural 1, is suppose to be whatever is most detrimental to the player. Therefore the fact that the dwarf becomes useless to you probably means that he just successfully got away without taking damage that turn.
At least that would be my ruling as the DM.

Nope, it's a specific rule from Drunken Master. If a Drunken Master rolls a natural 1 on an attack with an improvised weapon (in this case, a dwarf), then the weapon falls apart.

Urpriest
2010-09-03, 02:31 PM
Nope, it's a specific rule from Drunken Master. If a Drunken Master rolls a natural 1 on an attack with an improvised weapon (in this case, a dwarf), then the weapon falls apart.

So in this particular case, the dwarf starts bawling. :smallbiggrin:

Ramza1987
2010-09-03, 03:20 PM
The image of a dwarf breaking like a Glass bottle, is breaking my mind right now... :smallbiggrin: