PDA

View Full Version : Teeth

Ponderthought
2010-09-02, 04:13 AM
So i was brushing my teeth just now, and I discovered that one of my top molar teeth has shattered like cheap pottery. There is no evidence of a cavity, or any similar decay.

So much for sleeping.

Explanations? Sympathy?

The Orange Zergling
2010-09-02, 04:33 AM
I was on a bunch of antibiotics for continual ear infections as a little kid, which messed up my teeth a lot.

I think the most horrific incident was when two of my baby teeth had fragmented into 3 separate pieces each, all still connected to the gum until they came out one by one.

Dental horrors are pretty freaky; my sympathies. :smallfrown:

thubby
2010-09-02, 05:28 AM
you might be grinding your teeth at night. some people just do that but stress can cause it too.
get in touch with your dentist obviously, if it IS teeth grinding, they make mouth-guards to stop stuff like that.

aside from a couple cavities in my past, the only thing of dental interest i have is a couple of baby teeth with no adult teeth behind them.

Serpentine
2010-09-02, 05:40 AM
I'm pretty sure I had that nightmare once...

Shas aia Toriia
2010-09-02, 05:42 AM
If anybody hit you in the head recently, it could probably just be that and you didn't notice at the time how serious it was. If not, teeth grinding is a possible explanation too.

Regardless of the cause, however, make sure you visit a denstist as soon as possible.

factotum
2010-09-02, 06:56 AM
Sounds like you'll need a crown for that...not cheap!

randman22222
2010-09-02, 08:19 AM
One of my teeth was, from birth, a troublemaker. It grew in with a cavity (caused by being stupid from birth, not some infection), which the dentists filled, but that proved to be too much for it, and it cracked. So now I have a crown. I think I'll go try to defeat James Bond now...

One tooth isn't so bad. I don't even notice that I have essentially a metal tooth anymore. I guess you'll get used to it.

What the above posters have said about dentists is true. Get thee to a nunnery dentist. It might be something that requires more than a crown. But I'd doubt it.

EDIT: This thread reminded me of that movie. :smallsigh:
Cannot unsee.

rakkoon
2010-09-02, 08:22 AM
Sympathy, a lot of it.
Stupid invention anyway teeth...

Ignition
2010-09-02, 08:39 AM
EDIT: This thread reminded me of that movie. :smallsigh:
Cannot unsee.

Curse you sir, I was going to talk about that movie! :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, I have horrid teeth. Braces were a waste, mostly by my own doing I'm afraid, because they've all shifted and went jagged. Very annoying.

banjo1985
2010-09-02, 09:18 AM
Sympathy on the teeth, I'm not blessed with great nashers myself, had to have four adult teeth out when I was 14 to make enough room for the rest in my mouth. Yes, Banjo actually has a mouth that's too small, despite the volume of effluvium that comes out of it. :smallamused:

As somebody else said, a bump on the head which clashed your teeth together may have done it. It could also be that the molar has just gone rotten from the inside and collapsed on itself. I should really go to the dentist again...but after nearly 5 years I'm afraid of the cost. :smalleek:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-09-02, 10:40 AM
Don't worry Banjo, I as a teenager, didn't go to the dentist for around 3 years and it was still pretty OK.:smallsmile:

banjo1985
2010-09-02, 10:42 AM
Don't worry Banjo, I as a teenager, didn't go to the dentist for around 3 years and it was still pretty OK.:smallsmile:

But I'm an old cantankerous fellow now, and would quite likely have to multiply my current total of one filling several times if I was to risk returning to the dentist. :smalleek:

It probably doesn't help that my diet can be summed up in a meat feast pizza garnished with a drizzle of vodka, energy drink and sugar. :smalltongue:

Pyrian
2010-09-02, 10:46 AM
But I'm an old cantankerous fellow now, and would quite likely have to multiply my current total of one filling several times if I was to risk returning to the dentist. :smalleek:Yeah, but when fillings become root canals it gets even more expensive. :smalltongue:

Gullara
2010-09-02, 12:25 PM

Yeah, I have horrid teeth. Braces were a waste, mostly by my own doing I'm afraid, because they've all shifted and went jagged. Very annoying.

Did you wear you retainer?

Ponderthought
2010-09-02, 01:17 PM
Sadly, a trip to the dentist is out of the question for me, being abysmally poor and without insurance. i suppose i could head out to the dental college and see if anyone wanted practice, but that sounds like a horror film in the making.

Thankfully Im essentially a mutant when it comes to teeth. They dont ever hurt (even when shattered like a dinner plate) and i seem to have a few extra here and there.

HellfireLover
2010-09-02, 01:23 PM
Teeth, brr. I broke a tooth once on a pizza crust - it's still pretty rough since my dentist refused to treat it, saying if it wasn't causing me pain, there was nothing to worry about. Maybe the tooth-shattering without pain could be due to the nerve rotting inside the tooth - had that happen too. It was an extraction job.

I have my wisdom teeth with their curly, bent roots (where they were growing into my jaw bone) in a jar in my spare bedroom. They rattle rather spiffingly.

Keld Denar
2010-09-02, 02:06 PM
I have my wisdom teeth with their curly, bent roots (where they were growing into my jaw bone) in a jar in my spare bedroom. They rattle rather spiffingly.

I didn't get to keep mine. They had to split them in half in order to pull them out easier. I still remember that bone deep cracking sound, even under the influence of the best general anesthesia I've ever experienced. Terrifying!

Pinnacle
2010-09-02, 02:22 PM
So i was brushing my teeth just now, and I discovered that one of my top molar teeth has shattered like cheap pottery. There is no evidence of a cavity, or any similar decay.

So much for sleeping.

Explanations? Sympathy?
How old are you? I had a baby tooth shatter like that once when I bit down. Apparently smashed between the bottom teeth and the adult tooth that I didn't know was growing in until the baby tooth was out of the way and I could feel it.

They had to split them in half in order to pull them out easier.
That's how mine were done as well, according to what I was told before they did it.

I still remember that bone deep cracking sound, even under the influence of the best general anesthesia I've ever experienced. Terrifying!
:smalleek: I was out for mine. I am very glad. I hate dental stuff.
And in the past dental anesthesia has proven somewhat ineffective on me. My old dentist used to say "Oh well, guess that's the best it's gonna get" and do it anyway, but the new one I got after that guy lost his license (what he did to my sister was worse) took it into account and used the laughing gas too.

Gullara
2010-09-02, 02:25 PM
My wisdom teeth actually came out quite smoothly. It was uncomfortable, but not the horror story some people have.

HellfireLover
2010-09-02, 03:19 PM
Yikes, Keld;. They put me under for my op since they had to split the gums and plane my jawbone in places to make extraction easier. Apparently the bleeding was quite spectacular.

Pinnacle
2010-09-02, 03:25 PM
My wisdom teeth actually came out quite smoothly. It was uncomfortable, but not the horror story some people have.

The breaking the teeth to make them easier to extract thing was actually part of the plan. The first time I went to the surgeon's office, he played a video for me that explains the procedure, so it's definitely his standard method.

RebelRogue
2010-09-02, 03:29 PM
I've had some trouble with teeth grinding myself, but it's been affecting my incisors, not the molars. I'm so glad a had plenty of room for my wisdom teeth - I've heard lots of bad stories from those less lucky than me, including some in this thread.

The Glyphstone
2010-09-02, 03:57 PM

And I was ready to come crashing in and devour the thread for an inappropriate topic...phew.

Syka
2010-09-02, 04:15 PM
Try finding a free/urgent care clinic in your area. They will probably be able to tell you if you can live without the tooth or if you need something serious. 'Cause if it's something serious, getting it done now (even without insurance) is probably worth it. There are definitely places that will work with you for payment plans and all.

As for stories, in middle school my front tooth got chipped when someone ran through the heavy gym door and slammed it right in my face. I doubled up...from laughing so hard. My dentist just put a veneer or whatever on to make it look normal and unchipped. Apparently it has come off since (judging by my mom's "What happened to your tooth!?!" "Do you not remember the gym incident?").

As for wisdom teeth, they just gave me local anesthetic since general has a history of not agreeing with me and some laughing gas. Freaking LOVED the laughing gas, and I'm not one to like highs (I've accidentally gotten high from using rubber cement inside, and I loathed Valium I had to take before this procedure). I still remember the jaw shaking saw they used to cut my teeth. Didn't feel a thing. :smallbiggrin:

Afterward sucked when it got super infected (only one of the four holes). They told me to brush farther back. I said if they could get a brush back, they were welcome, but I couldn't do it (a teeny spoon wouldn't even fit in my mouth afterwards).

Ponderthought
2010-09-02, 04:17 PM
How old are you? I had a baby tooth shatter like that once when I bit down. Apparently smashed between the bottom teeth and the adult tooth that I didn't know was growing in until the baby tooth was out of the way and I could feel it.

23. My adult teeth came in long ago..I think they might have the same problem as my finger bones, and will shatter at the drop of a hat.

Though my dad did actually have three sets of teeth.His baby teeth feel out, then the next set fell out 6 years later and were replaced by the last set. I think we may have some shark dna.

Oddly enough, I have no wisdom teeth stories..I have an extra long jaw, so all my teeth had ample room to come in.

Marnath
2010-09-02, 04:26 PM
My wisdom teeth are in my jaw sideways, pointing ahead instead of up. :smallfrown: I hope they never come in.

Syka
2010-09-02, 04:41 PM
Marnath, that was my problem. They spotted them coming in that same way RIGHT after I got braces off and, well, they would have jacked my mouth if allowed to come in. Getting all 4 out at once was better than doing 2 at a time like some of my friends did, though.

My dentist once told me about a guy who had at least TWO sets of wisdom teeth. :smalleek: I felt for that kid.

Silly Wizard
2010-09-02, 04:47 PM
When I saw this title, I thought it was going to be about the movie