PDA

View Full Version : [3.5 WIP]Rift Ripper[Base Class]

AustontheGreat1
2010-09-02, 01:14 PM
Ok, so right now I'm just storing this here for right now while I work on it. I decided to do this so I could get feedback on what I've already done while I think of more stuff. It isn't finished and it isn't very good, but please give me honest critiques.

Comments and what-not in red.

RIFT RIPPER
To start off, I'm not really happy with the name. I would love some suggestions for better ones.

http://clouddragon.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/tribbles-cute-kitten.jpg
This picture has nothing to do with the class. I am just terrible at looking for picks on the internet. Where do you look for pictures?

Rift Rippers, more commonly and hereafter referred to as Rippers, are beings that, due to a brain abnormality, are capable of create rifts in the fabric of reality and access the fourth spatial dimension. From this dimension all points in the universe are equally distant, allowing him to travel great distances instantaneously. Some are even capable of breaching the barrier between realities.

I might come up with more fluff later, though probably not. I find fluff to be boring. Also, I feel that fluff often gets in the way. Let the player decide why he has to powers and fill in his own details.

Abilities: Rift Rippers are melee combatants that use their unique powers to aid them in battle and for moving around and stuff. Leave me alone, I just thought it would be a neat concept for a class. I didn't really think about what it would actually be doing.

Strength is important for determining melee prowess and damage. A high charisma increases the effectiveness of their powers. Constitution is important for health points.
Alignment: Any; Usually Chaotic
Hit Die: d6

RIFT RIPPER
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special| Maximum Breach Distance

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Rift Blade (1d6), Spatial Awareness, Instability|
-

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3|Dead Levels. Need to fix these.|
-

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3|Planar Spark, Pocket I|
-

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4|Rift Blade (1d8), Breach|
10ft.

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+4|Another Dead Level|
20ft.

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+5|Planar Shunt (Medium)|
30ft.

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+2|
+5|And Another Dead Level|
40ft.

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+2|
+6|Rift Blade (1d10), Pocket II|
50ft.

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Non-Euclidean Movement 1/day|
60ft.

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Plane Shift 1/day|
70ft.

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+7|Greater Planar Spark|
80ft.

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+8|Rift Blade (2d6), Planar Shunt (Large)|
90ft.

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+4|
+8|Pocket III, Non-Euclidean Movement 2/day|
100ft.

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+9|One last dead level|
110ft.

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+5|
+9|Plane Shift 2/day|
120ft.

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+10|Rift Blade (2d8), Rift 1/day|
130ft.

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Non-Euclidean Movement 3/day|
140ft.

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11|Pocket IV, Planar Shunt (Huge)|
150ft.

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Perfect Planar Spark, Rift 2/day|
160ft.

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Rift Blade (2d10), Plane Shift 3/day, Non-Euclidean Movement 4/day|
170ft.[/table]
Class Skills: (4 + Int. Mod.) x 4 at first level. A Rift Ripper’s class skills are Balance, Concentration, Escape Artist, Jump, Knowledge (the Planes), Spot, Survival, and Tumble.

Class Features
Proficiencies: A ripper is proficient with all simple and martial weapons as well as light and medium armors.

Spatial Awareness (Ex): Rippers have a unique and advantageous understanding of their position and movement due to a unique view of space, time, and the fourth spatial dimension. Ripper’s receive a +2 bonus to balance and tumble checks.

Instability: As an unfortunate side effect to their bizarre brain chemistry, rippers are highly unstable mentally. As such, rippers receive a -2 to all will saves against mind affecting effects and compulsion effects.

Rift Blade (Su): A rift blade is actually a tear in the fabric of reality. Early on, rippers master the ability to create these tears and wield them against his enemies. At first level, the ripper’s rift blade deals 1d6 slashing damage plus the ripper’s strength score, threatens a critical hit on a roll of 19-20, and deals double damage on a confirmed critical hit. This damage increases to 1d8 at 4th level, and increase at every four levels thereafter. 1d10 at 8th level, 2d6 at 12th level, 2d8 at 16th level, 2d10 at 20th. Creating a rift blade is a move action that does provoke an attack of opportunity. Though a rift blade is not solid or entirely real, is can be made to destabilize and vanish with a successful disarm or sunder (Hardness 10 and hit points equal to the ripper’s level + 10). If a rift blade is ever removed from the ripper’s hand for longer than one round, the rift destabilizes and vanishes. A destabilized rift blade may be redrawn on the ripper’s next turn. Rift blades appear as shard or sword shaped holes in the air, branching from the ripper’s hand.

I hope rift blade is clear. I thinks it's much less complicated than I'm making it. Anyway, to me, first level seems kind of wonky. Originally, I just had rift blade at first level but that seemed really lame. I then added spatial awareness which originally provided blindsense, but that seemed too good. Not sure what possessed me to add instability.

Planar Spark (Su): A ripper’s rift blade is more than just a whole in our reality; it is a portal to another. Exploiting this fact, a ripper can align his blade to different realities and channel their energies. At 3rd level, whenever the ripper creates his rift blade he may now choose to enhance it with one of the following properties. The difficulty class of any save of on of the

Fire: The rift blade is aligned to a dimension of heat and fire. A rift blade enhanced with this ability glows a bright yellow or orange. Upon each successful attack, the rift blade deals an additional amount of fire damage equal to the ripper’s charisma score.

Cold: The rift blade is aligned to an extremely cold reality, and seems to draw heat from the air around it. A rift blade enhanced with this ability creates a faint cold mist around itself. Upon each successful attack, the rift blade deals an additional amount of cold damage equal to the ripper’s charisma score.

Spark: The rift blade channels immense electrical energy. A rift blade enhanced with this ability glows a bright blue and constantly produces small arcs of electric energy. Upon each successful attack, the rift blade deals an additional amount of electric damage equal to the ripper’s charisma score.

Shadow: The rift blade is attuned to a dimension of darkness and gloom. A rift blade enhanced with this ability is a dark and dreadful black that seems to drink in the light around it; covering itself and the ripper in a constant cloak of shadow. While wielding the rift blade, the ripper has concealment.

Chaotic: The rift blade is suffused with pure chaos. A rift blade enhanced with this ability constantly shift in shape, size, and color; never appearing the same way twice. On each successful attack against a lawful creature, the rift blade deals an additional amount of damage equal to the ripper’s charisma score. Additionally, this attack is treated as chaotic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Axiomatic: The rift blade is aligned to a dimension of pure order. A rift blade enhanced with this ability takes on a very symmetric, almost crystalline appearance. On each successful attack against a chaotic creature, the rift blade deals an additional amount of damage equal to the ripper’s charisma score. Additionally, this attack is treated as lawful for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Temporal: The rift blade is attuned to a plane where time passes differently. A rift blade enhanced with this ability appears to be out of sink with normal time, leaping from one position to the next in the blink of an eye or slowing down to a crawl and leaving blurry trails in its wake. It is difficult to follow the blade and therefore difficult to defend against. Creatures attacked by a rift blade with this property lose their dexterity bonus to AC (if any). Additionally, the rift blade alters their temporal alignment briefly causing them to become fatigued. A second successful attack does not cause the fatigued creature to become exhausted.

Gravitic: The rift blade is aligned to a reality where the gravity is much different. A rift blade enhanced with this ability appears misshapen and warped as it bends the light around it. Upon each successful attack, the target must make strength check (DC = 10 + ripper level) or become entangled as the gravity pulls down on the target, making movement difficult.

Planar Spark lets the ripper enhance his rift blade to make up for that fact that he can't make it magical and what not. I think this ability is OK. If it isn't clear or whatever just tell me. The only two sparks I'm not so sure about are Gravitic and Temporal.

Pocket (Su): At 3rd level, rippers master the ability to create small pockets in sub-space. Though these pockets are small, they are quite handy for storing possessions. The pocket functions in many ways like a Bag of Holding type I. At 8th the type of bag the portal mimics improves to a type II, type III 13th, and type IV 18th level.
Gives the ripper a free self advancing bag of holding. I don't think it's over-powered or anything but I guess I'll see.

Breach (Su): At fifth level, a ripper gains the ability to travel between two places instantaneously by creating a whole in space large enough to move through. The ripper may teleport from his current location to any other location with 10 feet of his original location that he can see once a round as a swift action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity. A ripper can move both before and after the jump, provided that his total distance moved is not greater than his speed. A ripper can also bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed his maximum load. A ripper can bring along other living creatures too, as long as their total weight doesn’t exceed his maximum load. The distance a jumper can jump across increase by 10 feet every level after fifth. The ripper cannot teleport into a location occupied by another creature or object.
I'm a little worried about this one. I modeled it after the blink dog ability. a free dimension door once a round seems a little overpowered but I'll wait to hear what other people think before changing it.

Planar Shunt (Su): A ripper can project other creatures or object through space the same way that he can propel himself. As a full-round action, a ripper can make a melee touch attack against any opponent in reach. If the attack is successful, the target must make a will save (DC = 10 + ½ ripper Level + Charisma Modifier) or be shunted to a location of the ripper’s choosing. The maximum distance a creature can be shunted is equal to the distance a ripper can travel using his own breach power. Using this ability, a ripper cannot force a creature or object to appear in the same location as another creature or object. At 6th level, the ripper can use this ability to teleport creatures and objects of medium size or smaller. The maximum size increases by one category every six levels thereafter. Large at 12th level and Huge at 18th level.

Plane Shift (Ps): For a ripper, stepping into different planes and realities is as easy as walking through a door. At 10th level the ripper can use Psionic Plane Shift once a day as a psi-like ability. The ripper gains one additional use of this ability at both 15th level and 20th level.

Non-Euclidean Movement (Ps): In the fourth spatial dimension, all points in space are equidistant from all other points. At 9th level, a ripper can travel through this dimension to move any where on the same plane instantaneously. The ripper can use Psionic Teleport once a day as a psi-like ability. The ripper gains an additional use of this ability at 13th level and every four levels thereafter.

Greater Planar Spark (Su): As a ripper advances and gains a greater master over his own abilities, he can draw even more energy through his rift blade. Whenever the ripper chooses planar spark to enhance his ability, he also gains a secondary ability of the same type from the following list.

Fire: The power drawn forth from the fiery realms is even greater. Upon each successful attack, creatures struck with the rift blade must succeed on a reflex save or catch flame. The flame burns for a number of rounds equal to the ripper’s charisma modifier; though a burning creature can take a move action to put out the flame.

Cold: The unbearable cold drawn forth from the icy realms can freeze flesh solid. Upon each successful attack, creatures struck by the rift blade must succeed on a fortitude save or take 1 point of dexterity damage. A creature’s dexterity score cannot be reduced lower than one through this effect.

Spark: Most creatures cannot handle the amount of electricity the rift blade exerts. Upon each successful attack, the ripper may choose any target within 10ft. of the creature struck. The secondary target is struck by a surge of lighting as it arcs from the original creature to the secondary and takes one point of electricity damage for each point of the ripper’s charisma modifier.

Shadow: The gloom filled blade seems to suck the very life force from its victims. Upon each successful attack, the target must make a successful will save or gain one negative level.

Chaotic: It is impossible to predict the effects that the chaotic energies radiating from the rift blade will have on those struck by it. Upon each successful attack, the rift blade explodes into a brilliant flash of light. Roll 1d8 due determine the color of the flash and the effects the rift blade has.

{table=head]1d8|Color|Effect

1|
Red|1 Fire Damage/Ripper Level (Reflex Save for Half Damage)

2|
Orange|1 Acid Damage/Ripper Level (Reflex Save for Half Damage)

3|
Yellow|1 Electricity Damage/Ripper Level (Reflex Save for Half Damage)

4|
Green|Poisoned (1d6 Constitution Damage; Fortitude Partial (Sickened for (Charisma Modifier) rounds))

5|
Blue|Slowed for (Charisma Modifier) rounds;Will Negates

6|
Indigo|Confused for (Charisma Modifier) rounds; Will Negates

7|
Violet|Teleported 1 mile in random direction;Will Negates

8|
-|Struck by two colors;Reroll ignoring any "8" result[/table]

Axiomatic: The rift blade has the power to send chaotic creatures back where they came from. Upon each successful strike against a chaotic outsider, the target must make a successful will save or be dismissed back to its native plane.

Temporal: The rift blade moves through a time stream which travels much faster than our own, allowing the ripper to move more quickly than should be possible. Once a round on it’s turn, the ripper may make an extra attack at its highest attack bonus. This benefit is not cumulative with similar effects, such as a haste spell.

Gravitic: The gravitational energies pouring from the rift can crush a creature making movements impossible. Upon each successful attack, a creature struck with a rift blade enhanced with this ability must make a strength check (DC = 10 + ripper level). If the target fails then it is immediately knocked prone and then is pinned by the by its own crushing weight for a number of rounds equal to the ripper’s charisma modifier.

Rift (Ps): At 16th level, the ripper is powerful enough to open and maintain a bridge large enough to allow many creatures to pass through it, or to pull another creature out. Once a day, the ripper can use gate as a psi-like ability. This ability functions just like the gate spell with the exception that creatures called through the gate are not controlled by the ripper and act normally as a creature of its type would when pulled through a portal to a strange dimension. The ripper gains an additional use of this ability at 19th level.
I felt safe giving this to the ripper at 16th level (and at all, really) mainly due to the fact that I removed the ability to control things summoned through the gate which seemed to be Gates most powerful feature. He can still pull beasts through the gate, but they might just as easily turn on him as help him. Sort of a double edged sword.

Perfect Planar Spark (Su): At 19th level, the rift blades power reaches its full potential. Whenever the ripper chooses a planar spark to enhance his rift blade, he also gains an additional ability of the same type from the following list.

Fire: Whenever the ripper makes a successful critical hit, the rift blade explodes into a blazing inferno. The target takes an additional 2d6 for every ripper level the ripper possesses. Creatures in the surrounding area (a 30ft. radius) must succeed on a reflex save or take half of the damage the original target takes. If any creature is reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this explosion it is incinerated. The creature is reduced to ash, though its equipment is left behind; a little scorched, but otherwise unaffected.

Cold: Whenever the ripper makes a successful critical hit, the target must succeed on a fortitude save or become frozen solid. The subject, along with all its carried gear, turns into a mindless, inert ice sculpture. If the sculpture resulting from this spell is broken, melted, or damaged, the subject (if ever returned to its original state) has similar damage or deformities. The creature is not dead, but it does not seem to be alive either when viewed with spells such as deathwatch. Only creatures made of flesh are affected by this spell.

Spark: Any one have some suggestion for a kick-ass ability related to electricity? I couldn't think of one.

Shadow: Upon each successful attack, the darkness from the rift blade clings to the victim, consuming the light in the area around him. The target is surrounded in a globe of magical darkness (10ft. radius). All creatures within this area have total concealment (the ripper benefits from this concealment, but ignores the concealment of other creatures granted by this ability). Normal lights (torches, candles, lanterns, and so forth) are incapable of brightening the area, as are light spells of lower level (such as light or dancing lights). Higher level light spells (such as daylight) are not affected by darkness. This darkness persists for a number of rounds equal to the ripper’s charisma score, though each successful attack renews this duration. Additionally, with each successful critical it, the targets life force is forcefully ripped away and that creature gains three negative levels. Creature immune to energy drain are immune to this effect.

Chaotic: Upon each successful attack, the rift blade inflicts the target with the confused condition. This is a mind-affecting effect. Additionally, whenever the ripper makes a successful critical hit, the target must also make a will save. If the target fails roll a d10 and refer to the chart to determine the effects.

{table=head]1d10|Effect

1|
Target is transformed into a swarm of butterflies. Treat this as the effects of the Polymorph Any Object spell (CL 20) into a swarm of locusts, with the exception that the swarm of butterflies have no swarm attack.

2|
Target temporarily loses their identity, forgetting everything up until the moment of the strike. Target retains all skills and abilities, but forgets everything else. Memory is returned after a number of days equal to the ripper’s charisma score.

3|
Target becomes subject to the Maze spell.

4|
Targets deceased family (any ancestors which have died within the last 100 years) rises from the grave as vampires, seeking to bring any living descendants into the coven.

5|
Both target and ripper are transported to random plane and appear adjacent to one another.

6|
Area (50ft. radius) is filled with illusionary copies (20) of the ripper; all creatures in the area must succeed in a DC 25 concentration check each round to keep up with which copy is the original.

7|
A blue whale appears directly above the ripper and the target. Both of them must succeed on a reflex save (DC 21) or take 15d6 bludgeoning damage from being crushed by the falling whale.

8|
Water begins to poor from the target quickly filling any enclosed area with water. If in an outdoor or open area, flooding water covers the area creating difficult terrain.

9|
Targets min is bombarded with the thoughts of all the beings in 100 mile radius. The voices are unintelligible and jumbled therefore the target cannot gain any information from this, but eh cacophony of thoughts and emotions drives the target mad, taking 5 wisdom damage.

10|
Target believed he is granted one wish. Wish is granted but with the opposite of the desired results. [/table]

Axiomatic: I also couldn't think of one for law and order. Looking for suggestions on that as well.

Temporal: The foreign time stream leaking through the rift blade can cause a creature to become out or sync with its own time. Upon each successful strike, a creature struck by a rift blade enhanced with this ability must succeed on a will save or become frozen in time briefly. The creature can take no action; not even mental actions until the beginning of the ripper’s next turn. The creature is essentially paused in time, any effects with durations that the target has placed on him are also paused and resume normally when the target resumes action. The target has no awareness of any events that took place in the moments that took place while he was paused. To it, everything seems to jump forward a few seconds. While frozen, the creature is immune to anything that happens to it and is invulnerable to all attacks and damage, though effects with durations that are still in effect when the creature becomes unfrozen effect him normally. Lastly, items worn or held by the frozen creature cannot be moved or harmed until the creature resumes its normal time.

Gravitic: Whenever the ripper makes a successful critical hit, the target must succeed on a reflex save in order to grab hold of something, if the target fails then he immediately begins to fall upward as the bizarre gravitational fields take effect. The creature falls straight up for a number of rounds equal to the ripper’s charisma modifier. Afterwards, the gravity of earth begins to pull on it again and causes the creature fall straight back down.
Every time I think that these abilities are two powerful, I also think, "Well, they all also grant a save and almost all of them only occur on a critical hit." I would definitely appreciate some advice on these.

On the dead levels. I was having trouble thinking of thematically appropriate and useful abilities. Originally wanted to have a defensive ability where the ripper creates two small windows; allowing attacks (especially rays and lines and stuff) to pass through; even making the bend. I thought that it would be interesting. However, I couldn't think of a way to do it mechanically without making it either to powerful or useless. Suggestion and what-not welcome.

-0-

Please examine and critique honestly, but keep in mind that this isn't finished and also that I have a fragile ego so if you are to harsh It will really hurt my feelings.

Also, let me know of any mistakes with grammar or with names and stuff. I went through a bunch of names before I settled on ripper so there may be some of the trial names stuck in the abilities.

Lastly, I also intend to add in some feats and other stuff.
So yeah...Now I'm off to class.

Milskidasith
2010-09-02, 01:25 PM
So far it looks really weak. It's a soulknife, but without even weapon enhancements (sans the few mostly weak ones you get), and with a rather meh base weapon that can still be disarmed and sundered, and takes more time to draw than it should. The teleports aren't bad, but they don't really help. The fact it doesn't have full BAB makes no sense, because it's only ability is to get a weapon and hit stuff with it.

Also, non euclidean movement is an odd title considering euclidean geometry deals with 2d objects, not 3d ones.

Anyway, I assume the abilities from each level of planar spark stack (so with perfect you get lesser, greater, and perfect. The elemental ones are horribly weak (chaotic does more damage, for one thing), and the axiomatic outsider banishing one is too specific, while a lot of the "on hit, make a save" abilities are too strong (Gravitic getting a "save or be pinned" ability, which is, in fact, more powerful than the perfect one, temporal freezing people is pretty nice, negative levels on each hit is pretty absurd, etc.)

But besides a few fairly powerful on-hit abilities (mostly for their ability to be spammed by attacking a lot), this class is really underwhelming. It's a soulknife with a worse weapon (besides not getting some of the on hit effects, but getting enhancement bonuses to attack is a pretty big thing in and of itself) and some movement abilites that are, while nice, not particularly amazing.

AustontheGreat1
2010-09-02, 02:50 PM
So far it looks really weak. It's a soulknife, but without even weapon enhancements (sans the few mostly weak ones you get), and with a rather meh base weapon that can still be disarmed and sundered, and takes more time to draw than it should.
I get it. So, should I remove the "Meh" abilities and just allow the player to pick and choose with an alloted number of enhancement bonuses? Sure, enhancement bonuses are good, and efficient and all that but would you rather receive a nice, simple, useful gift for Christmas or something fancy and cool? i realize that my custom ones are neither fancy nor cool, but I feel that by making them myself over letting them pick pre-made official ones made it feel more special.

The teleports aren't bad, but they don't really help. The fact it doesn't have full BAB makes no sense, because it's only ability is to get a weapon and hit stuff with it.
Ok, full BAB it is. I like to start out with average when giving a class fancy powers. for some reason I always feel that only Fighters and Paladins deserve Full BAB. Oh well.

Also, non euclidean movement is an odd title considering euclidean geometry deals with 2d objects, not 3d ones.

Well, look at you, Smartypants. With your knowledge.

Other stuff

I get the idea. As I said, it's a work in progress. I'll work on it

Milskidasith
2010-09-02, 04:09 PM
I get it. So, should I remove the "Meh" abilities and just allow the player to pick and choose with an alloted number of enhancement bonuses? Sure, enhancement bonuses are good, and efficient and all that but would you rather receive a nice, simple, useful gift for Christmas or something fancy and cool? i realize that my custom ones are neither fancy nor cool, but I feel that by making them myself over letting them pick pre-made official ones made it feel more special.

No, what you should do is give it actual class features, rather than an (inferior) replacement for WBL. Make it so it can use any weapon, and then give it the enhancements. The reason the soulknife is bad is because it gives nothing you can't buy, and pretty much any class designed around giving you a weapon will have the same problem.