PDA

View Full Version : Birthright - Need a walkthrough

Benejeseret
2010-09-02, 01:17 PM
Could someone help walk me through the basics of e3.5 birthright?

I have been reading over the wiki and open content SRD:

http://www.birthright.net

It has lots of info...but not in an easy-to-follow manner in that each page is completely unconnected to any clear flow. I've read it all twice now and still have no idea how to actually make a character or a game.

(I am familiar with normal 3.5)

LibraryOgre
2010-09-02, 01:52 PM
What do you mean by a walk-through? I don't know the 3.x material, but I have a grasp of the game world through the 2e stuff, if you're looking for that.

Loren
2010-09-02, 10:26 PM
check this out http://www.btinternet.com/~nigel.kennington/Birthright/downloads/brcs-playtest.pdf it's an old play test, basically it amounts to an unpublished campaign setting book.

Benejeseret
2010-09-03, 09:39 AM
Thanks, I'll read the playthrough and be back likely with more questions.

*and by 'walkthrough' I meant a breakdown of how the game actually *works*. I have all the individual rules from the open source wiki but not how they actually go together into a campaign.

LibraryOgre
2010-09-03, 11:30 AM
Ah, well, I am less useful for that.

Crow
2010-09-03, 01:54 PM
The pdf they have on birthright.net is pretty good to get a grasp of the game. I've used it in my game. Worked fine.

Benejeseret
2010-09-03, 02:36 PM
Indeed, that pdf was exactly what I needed, thanks

Question #1

Is there a Holding-per-level suggested starting place?

(along the lines of a wealth-by-level chart of what number and level of holdings would a lvl1 scion start with, or a lvl8 scion using a pre-made empire)

Question #2

Is there an outline of what type/level of enemy holdings would be an ECL worthy of challenging players?

(or ERL for effective realm level - as in, is there a guideline for making enemy states of appropriate power?)

dariathalon
2010-09-03, 05:20 PM
I believe the answer to both of those is no, there isn't. It has been a long time since I used these rules, but as I recall they did not.

1. Birthright is a setting where character level does not compare very well to character power. This is something that the DM is free to set as they want to. I would suggest it should be more based on average player experience with the system. If players are not very familiar with the system, start them out with a small number of holdings regardless of what level you start them at.

2. Again, no. Not as far as I can remember anyway. Birthright is not nearly so much about one party of adventurers vs one enemy or group of enemies as most typical d&d settings are. There are so many other factions out there both playing for and against the PCs, that the traditional idea of ECL doesn't apply too well. The DM needs to make sure that the regent(s) have enough allies and enemies to make things interesting.

Crow
2010-09-03, 07:03 PM
Realms aren't exactly supposed to be treated as "encounters". Give your players small holdings to start off, and let them play with those for a bit before moving to bigger things.

Directing your underlings and the followers of your holdings against another is more of a campaign thing, rather than something you tailor as an encounter.

Whammydill
2010-09-04, 06:13 AM
Probably the easiest place to start them out is with a small country in southern Anuire. Illien, or Medoere, or even Roesone. Their holding levels should have no direct correlation with their character levels, its something you will want them to develop in the game and not hand out.

Forwarning though, properly keeping track of relevant entities and exactly how much regency and gold bars they have to spend can be a lot of work. Handwaving is possible of course but I was never fond of it.

Given the political nature of the game keeping track of intrigues and every relevant country's goals concerning the PC's holdings is key to a cohesive game.

Benejeseret
2010-09-04, 08:00 PM
Thanks all so far

Question #3

Has there ever been a Future/Modern Birthright module or adaptation out there? Has anyone tried such a game?

From what I see about regency, units, holdings etc I think it would be very easy to simply blend it into a Modern game or similar system. Ley lines/source would be the only out of place aspect in some settings but I get the feeling dropping it would not impede the other aspects. Alternatively they could easy be blended into a psychic aspect if such existed in the system.