PDA

View Full Version : Nk'rulsh: Pact-blooded (Balancing and Additional Homebrew)

Avyctes
2010-09-02, 01:57 PM
I was messing around with the idea of a human-based race that possessed devilish blood. Originally, I was attempting to combine the fiendish template from MMI with the standard human statistics in Player's Handbook, but got caught up with the idea of having this mixing-of-blood be due to an infernal pact rather than simple breeding.

Nk'rulsh
A race of humans infused with devilish essence, Nk'rulsh are commonly known as being powerful spellcasters and exceedingly persuasive talkers.

History:
In ages past, a mortal noble named Imadrigal Correalis discovered a gromoire now known as the Tome of Correalis. Past down to him by his father after the late Sir Correalis was struck down by a mysterious disease, the Tome contains spells, incantations, and instructions on how to summon, bind, and make pacts with Devils as well as how to utilize investitures. [DC 20 Knowledge (History) or DC 25 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty)]
Imadrigal used the spells contained within the Tome to bring himself great wealth and power, eventually forming a cult of diabolists that, through a pact with a particularly powerful devil, became the first Nk'rulsh. [DC 25 Knowledge (History) or DC 30 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty)]
The devil to whom Imadrigal had contacted is Ronove, an ancient and powerful Falxugon (20 HD Harvester Devil with the effective spellcasting ability of a 25th level Sorcerer) who originally wrote the Tome of Correalis, drew up the bloodline pact that created the Nk'rulsh, and was the devil-patron of Imadrigal's cult. [DC 35 Knowledge (History) or DC 40 Knowledge (the Planes)]

Religion:
Evil Nk'rulsh commonly worship Ronove, a powerful devil-deity that has a special interest in the Nk'rulsh race.
Ronove (LE)
Lesser Deity
Devil-deity of pacts, dark magic, investitures, and devils. Patron of blackguards (DMG), evil binders/sorcerers, and the Nk'rulsh.
Domains: Diabolic (FFII), Magic (PH), and Pact (SC).
Favored Weapon: Barbed Dagger (CA).

Nk'rulsh Traits:
- +2 Charisma.
-Medium size
-Humanoid (human)
-Black Tongue: +2 profane bonus on all Bluff, Diplomacy, and Intimidate checks.
-Pact-Blooded: Character counts as possessing the Baatezu subtype and may cast spells/activate items that require the Nk'rulsh to be a fiend/Devil. Also, when determining which feats a Nk'rulsh character qualifies for, the Nk'rulsh may count as possessing a Lawful Evil alignment without actually being such.
Lastly, Pact-Blooded lowers the caster level of any spell or effect possessing the [good] descriptor a Nk'rulsh casts/utilizes in any form (including good magic items) by 1 (to a minimum of 0) and increases the caster level of any spell or effect possessing the [evil] descriptor by the same.
-Bonus Feat: All Nk'rulsh's gain Devil's Favor as a bonus feat, whether they meet its prerequisite or not. In addition, the Nk'rulsh gains an additional Devil-touched feat (FCII) to which he meets the prerequisites.
-Silver Vulnerability: Silver weapons deal 50% more damage to a Nk'rulsh character. A Nk'rulsh that comes into contact with Silver in any way must make a DC 16 Fortitude save or become nauseated for 1 round.
-Devil Vulnerability: All Nk'rulsh take a -2 on saves against the spells and effects (including supernatural abilities) of Evil Outsiders.
However, no matter what the circumstance, a Nk'rulsh does not take the increased penalty versus spells and effects that originate from a creature possessing Nk'rulsh blood (ex: a Nk'rulsh under attack by a Half-fiend Nk'rulsh casting a corrupted fireball would not take a -2 penalty on his save).
-Automatic Languages: Infernal and Common; Bonus Languages: any.
-Alignment: Any; usually lawful evil.
-Favored Class: Sorcerer and Binder (ToM).
-Level Adjustment: +0

Devil-touched/Racial Feats:

Devil's Magic [Devil-touched]
Pre: Caster Level 3+, Devil's Favor.
Benefit: When casting a spell, a character with this feat may choose to cast that spell as a supernatural ability rather than as a spell. This may be utilized a number of times per day equal to the number of devil-touched feats the character possesses.
In addition, the character gains a +1 profane bonus on all caster level checks to penetrate spell resistance.

Devil's Might [Devil-touched]
Pre: Str 15+, Devil's Favor feat.
Benefit: A number of times per day equal to the number of devil-touched feats he possesses, the character can draw upon infernal strength, gaining a +4 profane bonus to his strength score. These bonuses last for 2 rounds, plus an additional round for every devil-touched feat the character possesses.
In addition, the character gains a permanent +1 profane bonus on all strength-based skill and ability checks.

Devil's Resilience [Devil-touched]
Pre: Con 16+, Devil's Favor feat.
Benefit: The character gains Damage Reduction x/Silver. The Damage Reduction granted is equal to 2 times the number of devil-touched feats the character possesses.

Infernal Spell Power [Racial]
Pre: Caster level 1+, Cha 15+, Nk'rulsh.
Benefit: A Nk'rulsh with this feat may tap into the infernal power within his blood, allowing him to increase the power of his evil spells. Three times per day, this feat may be utilized to grant any spell the Nk'rulsh casts possessing the [evil] descriptor a +2 profane bonus to Spell DC. This bonus stacks with other bonuses that increase Spell DC (such as the Spell Focus feat).

Resist Silver Vulnerability [Racial]
Pre: Base Fort save +3, Con 15+, Great Fortitude feat, Nk'rulsh (or Silver Vulnerability).
Benefit: You take 25% more damage from silver weapons rather than 50% more. You are sickened, not nauseated, after failing the save for touching silver. This supersedes the original negatives described under the Silver Vulnerability special quality.

-----------------------

Whatcha think? Mainly, is it balanced?

In addition, i was looking for some ideas on a backstory for this race involving a pact-based Devil that functions as a deity. I am thinking Magic, Pact, Tyrrany, and/or Diabolic domains. EDIT: Ronove has been added.

Thanks for the critque guys.

EDIT: gave them Black Tongue quality and improved Pact-blooded to grant a caster level bonus when casting evil spells.

EDIT (09-03-2010): Changed Enchantment Vulnerability quality to Devil Vulnerability.

EDIT (09-04-2010): Added History and Summary sections as well as the section on Ronove. In addition, Cold Iron Vulnerability has been changed to Silver Vulnerability and the homebrewed devil-touched/racial feats have been added.

sigurd
2010-09-02, 03:10 PM
Its a good idea.

I'd use it in its current state for NPCs but I think you'd have to make it less damaging for PCs. You have a lot of vulnerabilities.

One issue I see is that the devilish feats are usable per day by the number of feats you have. If you're only ever going to have 2 that's a serious power limitation.

You might consider that they can use the powers according to their Charisma Bonus or Once (Whichever is less).

DracoDei
2010-09-02, 03:29 PM
I would use the EDIT button to fix the thread title. I THINK it will work if you do it soon.

Avyctes
2010-09-03, 03:38 AM
I'd use it in its current state for NPCs but I think you'd have to make it less damaging for PCs. You have a lot of vulnerabilities.

One issue I see is that the devilish feats are usable per day by the number of feats you have. If you're only ever going to have 2 that's a serious power limitation.

You might consider that they can use the powers according to their Charisma Bonus or Once (Whichever is less).

Hmmm... what additional bonuses do you think it should have? I thought the +2 without any negative might be a little overpowered, but I am down to increase it.

In response to the per day limitation: the Pact-blooded quality grants them the ability to qualify for the Devil-touched feats without being evil or requiring any known pact to be signed. Since it did seems that this wasn't transmitted by the original description, would you (or anyone else) know a better way to put it/ phrase the description under pact-blooded?

Hmmm... charisma bonus number of times per day a Nk'rulsh would be able to gain a +2 bonus to any attack, save, or check. That seems a little overpowered in my opinion, but if you could justify it being balanced with it, I more than welcome the change.

sigurd
2010-09-03, 05:14 AM
I think your vulnerabilities create real weaknesses in the character that don't really go away as the character advances. Anyone understanding the characters background could really exploit them - as the character is not evil and devils might realistically learn of him the character's weakness might not be a well kept secret.

I don't like the devils pacts as a mechanic. If you use them you should pay the penalty. If this guy is an exception and not evil his rules should be outside of the mechanic but he should be very limited.

There are lots of figures with devil links in their background - some say merlin for example. Tying it to charisma makes sense because its like a sorcerer's power.

You might want to look at the Pathfinder Sorcerer for comparison. Pathfinder characters are 10-20% powered up from standard 3.5 IMHO.

Good thing you changed the title :)

LOTRfan
2010-09-03, 07:57 AM
So thier fluff is similar to that of Tieflings in 4e? Very interesting. I see why they might take a penalty to will saves versus enchantments from Evil Otsiders, but why do they also take a penalty from other creatures casting enchantments as well?

Avyctes
2010-09-04, 12:51 AM
So thier fluff is similar to that of Tieflings in 4e? Very interesting. I see why they might take a penalty to will saves versus enchantments from Evil Otsiders, but why do they also take a penalty from other creatures casting enchantments as well?

Good question: I was thinking that they would be susceptible to the manipulation abilities of certain devils as well as enchantment spells in general due to the conditions of their racial-pact, but maybe it could be changed to just the abilities of evil outsiders.

I like that better.

Avyctes
2010-09-04, 01:13 AM
I think your vulnerabilities create real weaknesses in the character that don't really go away as the character advances. Anyone understanding the characters background could really exploit them - as the character is not evil and devils might realistically learn of him the character's weakness might not be a well kept secret.
I agree, though there is a reason for their inclusion, as described below:

I don't like the devils pacts as a mechanic. If you use them you should pay the penalty. If this guy is an exception and not evil his rules should be outside of the mechanic but he should be very limited.
The idea behind it is that there is a pact that includes their entire bloodline. This pact is the reason they take their negatives, but also the reason why their race is able to gain the "abilities of devils." This translate's through the game system filter as their access to devil-touched feats, their vulnerabilities, their increased charisma, and their ability to utilize evil magic more efficiently (and good magic more inefficiently).

There are lots of figures with devil links in their background - some say merlin for example. Tying it to charisma makes sense because its like a sorcerer's power.
I quite agree. My only worry is that the +2 charisma bonus with no penalty to any other stat seems unbalanced compared to the other +0 3.5 races. Due to this worry, I had originally put steep penalties on the Nk'rulsh, but I seemed to have put to much importance on that charisma bonus, because the changed result seems much more appealing to my player mind... but not appealing enough to stop me from picking a stock human.

You might want to look at the Pathfinder Sorcerer for comparison. Pathfinder characters are 10-20% powered up from standard 3.5 IMHO.
I find pathfinder to be an intensely interesting setting and took many ideas from the alternative class features it utilizes for the core classes, but I am working off standard 3.5 "power levels" which, sadly, does not go over 9,000.

Good thing you changed the title :)
I agree: it would have taken me forever to notice it on my own.

LOTRfan
2010-09-04, 07:48 AM
As for the pact-based devil-deity, will you be homebrewing that as well, or will you be using already existing WotC material?

sigurd
2010-09-04, 08:13 AM
The idea behind it is that there is a pact that includes their entire bloodline. This pact is the reason they take their negatives, but also the reason why their race is able to gain the "abilities of devils." This translate's through the game system filter as their access to devil-touched feats, their vulnerabilities, their increased charisma, and their ability to utilize evil magic more efficiently (and good magic more inefficiently).

I gather. I guess my personal choice would be to make the initial bloodline gifts an inheritance paid for by the previous generations. The child would then represent a target to perpetuate the pact. I tend to insist that children are not born to the obligations of their parents - a fairly modern concept and not necessarily true. If the child is tied to the doom of the pact there is no redemption possible and a little less chance to role play something interesting imho.

If they are strong enough to resist the devils they might still have some of the previously granted powers. If they succumb to further temptation (evil's expectation) they are more powerful damned followers.

If they are just going to be beholden to the pact why not simply make it a free ritual to enter under the existing rules?

That's just my two cents. Don't let me derail your thoughts.

Avyctes
2010-09-04, 04:48 PM
I gather. I guess my personal choice would be to make the initial bloodline gifts an inheritance paid for by the previous generations. The child would then represent a target to perpetuate the pact. I tend to insist that children are not born to the obligations of their parents - a fairly modern concept and not necessarily true. If the child is tied to the doom of the pact there is no redemption possible and a little less chance to role play something interesting imho.
Hmm. Interesting idea. Maybe I should specialize the pact when making their history..
maybe something like:
In ages past, a mortal noble named Imadrigal Correalis discovered a gromoire now known as the Tome of Correalis. Past down to him by his father after the late Sir Correalis was struck down by a mysterious disease, the Tome contains spells, incantations, and instructions on how to summon, bind, and make pacts with Devils as well as how to utilize investitures. [DC 20 Knowledge (History) or DC 25 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty)]
Imadrigal used the spells contained within the Tome to bring himself great wealth and power, eventually forming a cult of diabolists that, through a pact with a particularly powerful devil, became the first Nk'rulsh. [DC 25 Knowledge (History) or DC 30 Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty)]
The devil to whom Imadrigal had contacted is Ronove, an ancient and powerful Falxugon (20 HD Harvester Devil with the effective spellcasting ability of a 25th level Sorcerer) who originally wrote the Tome of Correalis, drew up the bloodline pact that created the Nk'rulsh, and was the devil-patron of Imadrigal's cult. [DC 35 Knowledge (History) or DC 40 Knowledge (the Planes)]

If they are strong enough to resist the devils they might still have some of the previously granted powers. If they succumb to further temptation (evil's expectation) they are more powerful damned followers.
I like the idea, but I feel that none of them are truly "beyond redemption," it just requires some adventurous characters to find out how to to turn back.

If they are just going to be beholden to the pact why not simply make it a free ritual to enter under the existing rules?
Hmm. That isn't that bad of an idea. Could you write up an example of what you think might fit (costs included)?

That's just my two cents. Don't let me derail your thoughts.
Rather than derail, I would say that you just added a few more interesting track choices. ^_- Thanks again for the input.

Avyctes
2010-09-04, 07:51 PM
As for the pact-based devil-deity, will you be homebrewing that as well, or will you be using already existing WotC material?

I shall probably use domains mentioned in WotC material, but I was hoping for Ronove to be homebrewed.

In fact, why not attempt it at the moment?

Ronove (LE)
Lesser Deity
Devil-deity of pacts, dark magic, investitures, and devils. Patron of blackguards (DMG), evil binders/sorcerers, and the Nk'rulsh.
Domains: Diabolic (FFII), Magic (PH), and Pact (SC).
Favored Weapon: Barbed Dagger (CA).

EDIT: Now if only I could get a 5-to-10 level PrC for Nk'rulsh worshippers of Ronove.

LOTRfan
2010-09-04, 08:09 PM
A Prc would be cool. I'll have to look up the Pact domain.