PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite splatbooks, and why?

Jolly
2010-09-02, 02:59 PM
I've been looking to expand my library, but it's tough to know what would be the best choices for my rather limited budget. Obviously "best" is subjective, so let me outline what I'm looking for. And of course you can always just talk about what you like and why, maybe I'll get some ideas I didn't have before. :) I'm mostly thinking of 3.5 DnD, D20 Star Wars, WFRP, and Dark Heresy here.

I am most interested in skilled/rogue-like characters (or improving those type of characters) and non- or less- Vancian casting systems.

Hirax
2010-09-02, 03:01 PM
Complete Scoundrel, for luck feats and skill tricks
Races of Stone, for feats, some races (check out the whisper gnome), and some misc. equipment.
Oh, and the Magic Item Compendium. You'll find lots of useful things in there.

Volthawk
2010-09-02, 03:01 PM
I love Magic of Incarnum, just because I find the mechanics fun. Plus, Totemist is so cool.

JoshuaZ
2010-09-02, 03:09 PM
I've been looking to expand my library, but it's tough to know what would be the best choices for my rather limited budget. Obviously "best" is subjective, so let me outline what I'm looking for. And of course you can always just talk about what you like and why, maybe I'll get some ideas I didn't have before. :) I'm mostly thinking of 3.5 DnD, D20 Star Wars, WFRP, and Dark Heresy here.

I am most interested in skilled/rogue-like characters (or improving those type of characters) and non- or less- Vancian casting systems.

For non-vancian casting I'd recommend Tome of Magic. However, only 2/3rds of it are really worth it. This book presents three new magic systems, pact magic, shadow magic and truenaming. Pact magic is very well-done with the fluff and mechanics interacting very well. The shadowcaster is a bit weak and the flavor and mechanics don't quite match up. The third section is the truenamer. And despite absolutely wonderful flavor, the mechanics are completely borked. At most levels, truenaming is much too weak, and this continues until 20th level where you then get what amounts to Gate-at-will. But pact magic is so well done that book is almost worth it just for that. And the shadow magic is ok. So I'd recommend this book as the best 3.5 non-Vancian systems out there.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-02, 03:14 PM
Complete Mage, Arcane, and Scoundrel are books I use over and over and over again. Spell Compendium and Magic Item Compendium are also used a fair bit, but those are more expensive.

Dark Heresy is an excellent choice as well, if you're looking to branch out into non D&D systems. The setting is awesome.

Random NPC
2010-09-02, 03:14 PM
Inb4TomeOfBattle

great melee splatbook filled with goodies for everyone! Swordsages are nice skill monkeys

Fax Celestis
2010-09-02, 03:19 PM
I consistently find myself returning to Monster Manual V, Player's Handbook II, Tome of Battle, Tome of Magic, Magic of Incarnum, Unearthed Arcana, and Complete Scoundrel.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-02, 03:24 PM
Oddly enough, Im not a big fan of MMV. It's the most expensive currently of the MM line(and more expensive than most other 3.5 material as well).

Plus, there's only so many monster themes, yknow? If it wasn't printed in 1-4, odds are pretty good it wasn't a great concept to begin with. A lot are very similar in theme to earlier stuff. Im not saying it's worthless, but probably not a great splatbook buy.

I must agree with UA and ToB, though. Both very unique, and add many options.

Keld Denar
2010-09-02, 03:29 PM
Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium, and Tome of Battle. Between these three books and Core, you are boosting nearly everything up.

I'm also partial to Magic of Incarnum.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-02, 03:32 PM
Oddly enough, Im not a big fan of MMV. It's the most expensive currently of the MM line(and more expensive than most other 3.5 material as well).

Plus, there's only so many monster themes, yknow? If it wasn't printed in 1-4, odds are pretty good it wasn't a great concept to begin with. A lot are very similar in theme to earlier stuff. Im not saying it's worthless, but probably not a great splatbook buy.

I must agree with UA and ToB, though. Both very unique, and add many options.

MM-V does things with monsters no other MM did, and the monsters in it are interesting, thematic, and very well-designed (with the exception of the shaedling).

Tetsubo 57
2010-09-02, 03:43 PM
Expanded Psionics handbook.

Magic of Incarnum.

PHB II.

Though I guess it would really be a death match between XPH & PHB II.

Reynard
2010-09-02, 03:45 PM
Tome of Battle, Spell Compendium, Magic Item Compendium.

Traveler
2010-09-02, 03:55 PM
RotD, DrM, DroE, and the Droconimicon. Guess why.

Darklord Xavez
2010-09-02, 03:56 PM
Splatbook? Huh?
-Xavez

thompur
2010-09-02, 04:23 PM
Tome of Magic, Tome of Battle, UnEarthed Arcana, Complete Arcane, Magic Item Compendium, Spell Compendium.

Greenish
2010-09-02, 04:46 PM
MoI and ToB, for their awesome subsystems.

Magic Compendium, for many great revisions* and cool new booty.

*Though there are a few not-so-cool (looking at you, Parrying).

For skillmonkey lovers, Dungeonscape has the Factotum, as well as a handful of fun ACFs (Trapkiller, Dungeon Crasher…).

[Edit]: Sharn, the City of Towers is also cool despite the crunch being mostly supbar.

Kurald Galain
2010-09-02, 04:47 PM
The 2E Tome of Magic is a favorite of mine.

But in terms of what you could actually use, how about PHB2?

Darklord Xavez
2010-09-02, 05:01 PM
So a splatbook is...
-Xavez

Fax Celestis
2010-09-02, 05:04 PM
So a splatbook is...

...an add-on book. The term originally derived from old book listings that marked non-core material with an asterisk (*) which looks sort of like a splat on the page in certain fonts.

Darklord Xavez
2010-09-02, 05:06 PM
...an add-on book. The term originally derived from old book listings that marked non-core material with an asterisk (*) which looks sort of like a splat on the page in certain fonts.

Thank you. I am distressed that I had to ask twice.
-Xavez

Fax Celestis
2010-09-02, 05:10 PM
I am distressed that I had to ask twice.

I am surprised you did not just Google it or go to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splatbook).

Eldan
2010-09-02, 05:11 PM
Let's see...

Favourite Rules: Tome of Battle (3.5). Tome of Battle is a close second.

Favourite Fluff:
In the Cage: Faces of Sigil (AD&D). Planes of Chaos is great as well. For 3.5, I like the monster books, like Lords of Madness or the Draconomicon.

Interestingly, I don't like Complete Scoundrel very much. Most Skill Tricks are, in my opinion, things every character should be able to (try to) do without investing points in it.

Darklord Xavez
2010-09-02, 05:11 PM
I am surprised you did not just Google it or go to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splatbook).

Because not everything is on either site.
-Xavez

Zaydos
2010-09-02, 05:18 PM
Because not everything is on either site.
-Xavez

That's why I found out by clicking Random on TVtropes.

That said to the OP's question:

Favorite Fluff: Draconomicon and Races of Stone.
Favorite Crunch: that's harder; the more I see of it the more I like Tome of Battle, Tome of Magic, and even Magic of Incarnum (I don't know how it works yet). I (due to a love of dragons) also like Dragon Magic solely for the Dragonfire Adept within it.
For Skill Monkeys: I don't know exactly. Both of the aforementioned Tomes and Magic of Incarnum have characters that can fill that role, and I guess there's Complete Scoundrel.

The-Mage-King
2010-09-02, 05:30 PM
Tome of Battle
Expanded Psionic's handbook
Magic Item Compendium
Spell Compendium
Oriental Adventures
Unearthed Arcana

If I need melee, I turn to ToB, OA, and UA.

If I need magic, well...

Zephyros
2010-09-02, 06:53 PM
If you liked Dark Heresy, and don't know how to expand on it, may be you should check out Rogue Trader and Deathwatch.

dsmiles
2010-09-02, 07:03 PM
Pale Designs (http://dragonwing.net/Pale_Designs.htm) (Non-WotC).

DementedFellow
2010-09-02, 07:08 PM
I love Sandstorm. It actually accounts for all sorts of environmental hazards and how people and creatures can thrive in such wastelands.

It also holds on of the most overpowered PrCs in 3.x Can't do much better than that :)

Zaydos
2010-09-02, 07:09 PM
I love Sandstorm. It actually accounts for all sorts of environmental hazards and how people and creatures can thrive in such wastelands.

It also holds on of the most overpowered PrCs in 3.x Can't do much better than that :)

Ooh is it the one that turns you into a dry lich?

DementedFellow
2010-09-02, 07:14 PM
Ooh is it the one that turns you into a dry lich?

Indeed that would be it. I always wanted to play a Walker in the Waste, with the voice of Christopher Walken. Walken in the Waste. :smallcool:

Snake-Aes
2010-09-02, 07:34 PM
Tome of Battle, Magic of Incarnum, all of the psionic line. Spell Compendium and Player's 2 and Lords of Madness are all competing for the 4th position.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-09-02, 07:37 PM
Dark Heresy

The Inquisitor's Handbook, obviously. It's practically essential. Well, it doesn't exactly have much competition for being the best splatbook, but the origin options and expanded skill functions add great depth to the game.

Zhalath
2010-09-02, 07:39 PM
Tome of Battle, Unearthed Arcana, and Expanded Psionics Handbook. I find myself using those books all the time.

I also like Complete Arcane a little, but I love the warlock. Libris Mortis is kind of fun, especially if you're interested in undead fluff (I am).

If you're a monster PC person, Savage Species is useful. I like having all those templates.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-09-02, 07:45 PM
Lords of Madness was a fun read and I dig me some crazy beyond the void monstrosities. Complete Scoundrel brought us the joy of skill tricks for character with more skills points per level than sense. Tome of Battle for giving melee multiple options at once. Tome of Magic for the Binder class.

Heroes of Battle gets an honorary mention due to the War Weaver, too.

IthilanorStPete
2010-09-02, 11:30 PM
Out of ones no one's mentioned yet, Fiendish Codex II. Awesome, awesomely detailed fluf that really fleshes out the Hells, and pretty cool crunch too.

GoatBoy
2010-09-03, 02:23 AM
Heroes of Horror: Two awesome new classes, some nice PrCs, good monsters, great fluff text.

Lords of Madness: Good book, +1 for mentioning that Aboleths are inspired by Cthulhu.

GodGoblin
2010-09-03, 04:27 AM
Races of the wild, Complete Adventurer and Complete Scoundrel are my go to books for rogue or ranger characters

FelixG
2010-09-03, 05:00 AM
For DnD 3.5....I would have to say Iron Kingdoms

Starwars d20 Revised.... I would have to say Heroes Guide

Starwars Saga Edition.... Probably the droid guide.

Dark Heresy...Rogue Trader is pretty much a more fun of dark heresy so go with that :D

Hope those help!

dsmiles
2010-09-03, 06:09 AM
Indeed that would be it. I always wanted to play a Walker in the Waste, with the voice of Christopher Walken. Walken in the Waste. :smallcool:

Really? I just wanted to ride through the desert on a horse with no name.

The Big Dice
2010-09-03, 09:45 AM
For D&D, I'd say the most useful is the Spell Compendium, but the one I'd read for fun is Lords of Madness.

From L5R, the 1st ed GM Survival Guide is probably the best book of GM advice ever printed. Though there's a load of great 1st ed L5R material out there.

GURPS Cthulhupunk is a perrenial favourite of mine too..

Zhalath
2010-09-03, 11:37 AM
Really? I just wanted to ride through the desert on a horse with no name.

That song is going to be stuck in my head all day.

I never had it, but one of my friends had Spell Compendium, and said it was awesome. It seems like most of the spells can be found in other splatbooks that I already owned, so I never bought it.

thompur
2010-09-03, 12:02 PM
Out of ones no one's mentioned yet, Fiendish Codex II. Awesome, awesomely detailed fluf that really fleshes out the Hells, and pretty cool crunch too.

I can't believe I forgot FC:II! I too liked the fluff and the crunch of the polotics of the 9 hells. Plus, a nice bit of love for my beloved Warlocks.
Good call Ithi... Ith... good call Pete.:smallwink: