PDA

View Full Version : Obscure books!

Darklord Xavez
2010-09-02, 05:10 PM
This thread is for the discussion of your favorite, most obscure books. My list of all the obscure books I can think of is as follows:

Races of Stone;
Races of Wild;
Races of Destiny;
Lords of Madness: the Book of Aberrations (my favorite);
Unapproachable East;
Dieties and Demigods;
Complete Scoundrel;
Complete Mage (to a degree);
And that's it for me. What others can you think of?

-Xavez

Wings of Peace
2010-09-02, 05:23 PM
The Diablerie. Which for those of you Greater Mighty Wallop gishers out there houses the weapon with the highest damage die in the game. The Ghostwalk Campaign Setting is another favorite.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-02, 05:26 PM
...none of those are really all that obscure.

However, I like Goodman Games' Complete Guide to Fey, Goodman Games' Book of Templates, and 16-1/2 Codpieces.

Zaydos
2010-09-02, 05:27 PM

However, I like Goodman Games' Complete Guide to Fey, Goodman Games' Book of Templates, and 16-1/2 Codpieces.

I'm scared to find out about the last one... My curiosity is activated but I know that only dark horrors can arise from asking "What is that book?"

Cieyrin
2010-09-02, 05:29 PM
I suppose we're only talking WoTC books, as otherwise I'd give a shout out to Dragonmech and Iron Kingdoms.

Otherwise, I have good fun with the Stronghold Builder's Guide, Enemies and Allies, Oriental Adventures and I second Ghostwalk. :smallbiggrin:

Oh and the Book of Erotic Fantasy makes me rather amused. :smalltongue:

Fax Celestis
2010-09-02, 05:31 PM
I'm scared to find out about the last one... My curiosity is activated but I know that only dark horrors can arise from asking "What is that book?"

Consider it the magic items for males counterpart of Quintessential Seductress.

Zaydos
2010-09-02, 05:34 PM
Consider it the magic items for males counterpart of Quintessential Seductress.

:smalleek:I figured as much, although now I'm curious about both... and really want to get a hold of the book of templates it sounds awesome.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-02, 05:35 PM
This thread is for the discussion of your favorite, most obscure books. My list of all the obscure books I can think of is as follows:

Races of Stone;
Races of Wild;
Races of Destiny;
Lords of Madness: the Book of Aberrations (my favorite);
Unapproachable East;
Dieties and Demigods;
Complete Scoundrel;
Complete Mage (to a degree);
And that's it for me. What others can you think of?

-Xavez

None of these are obscure. How about Denizens of Avadnu? Anybody ever hear of that one besides me?

Emmerask
2010-09-02, 05:43 PM
I think wotc books are mostly widely known so I guess the lists can include other sources for d&d?

if so:

Encyclopedia Arcane: Star Magic
The Slayer's Guide To Yuan-Ti
The Slayer's Guide To Lizardfolk
Arcana Unearthed (no its different from unearthed Arcana^^)

Darklord Xavez
2010-09-02, 05:44 PM

I was thinking WOTC, but whatevs.
-Xavez

Zaydos
2010-09-02, 05:47 PM
What are some obscure WotC books?

Mystic Muse
2010-09-02, 05:48 PM
I was thinking WOTC, but whatevs.
-Xavez

I don't think any of the WOTC books are obscure.

Darklord Xavez
2010-09-02, 05:49 PM
I don't think any of the WOTC books are obscure.

My list is of WOTC books.
-Xavez

InaVegt
2010-09-02, 05:53 PM
-Xavez

And none of them are obscure.

Mystic Muse
-Xavez

And they aren't obscure. In fact they're rather well known around here

Edit: Ninja'd

Reinboom
-Xavez

And, as already mentioned, none of those are really obscure. :smallconfused:

Zaydos
2010-09-02, 05:54 PM
None of the Races books are obscure. Lords of Madness isn't really obscure either (you mention fluff from it and it is normally recognized), same with the Completes. Deities and Demigods is... mostly useless (the fluff is bad, I end up using 2e Legend and Lore more often for 3.X). Unapproachable East is also not really obscure; it's Forgotten Realms but either it or Champions of X tend to be the most cited FR books there are.

Kylarra
2010-09-02, 05:54 PM
Maybe some of the specific campaign fluff books. Secrets of Xen'Drik, Forge of War, Dragonlance source books, etc.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-02, 05:55 PM
Maybe some of the specific campaign fluff books. Secrets of Xen'Drik, Forge of War, Dragonlance source books, etc.

Now those I haven't heard of.

Zaydos
2010-09-02, 05:56 PM

Are Dragonlance books WotC or Sword & Sorcery or another company I can never quite figure out?

Secrets of Xen'Drik has Primordial Giants, Forge of War I've heard of but don't know what it's about, Dragonlance source books... they should have made the War of the Lance one the main book.

Roland St. Jude
2010-09-02, 06:01 PM
Up The Garden Path, Jade Hare, and maybe Rahasia?

Draxar
2010-09-02, 06:05 PM
Exemplars of Evil?

It's a bit less well known that the rest of the the core WotC stuffl, probably due to being less useful.

dsmiles
2010-09-02, 06:09 PM
Are Dragonlance books WotC or Sword & Sorcery or another company I can never quite figure out?

Secrets of Xen'Drik has Primordial Giants, Forge of War I've heard of but don't know what it's about, Dragonlance source books... they should have made the War of the Lance one the main book.

I believe WotC held onto the Dragonlance campaign setting. It shuffled off Spelljammer (my favorite TSR setting), Ravenloft (my other favorite TSR setting), and Al-Qadim (not so much favorite).

I gotta get a shout out to Iron Kingdoms, and The Ultimate Equipment Guide (Mongoose).

Zaydos
2010-09-02, 06:10 PM
I believe WotC held onto the Dragonlance campaign setting. It shuffled off Spelljammer (my favorite TSR setting), Ravenloft (my other favorite TSR setting), and Al-Qadim (not so much favorite).

I gotta get a shout out to Iron Kingdoms, and The Ultimate Equipment Guide (Mongoose).

I always wanted to play Spelljammer. I still have the books from when I was 10. I loved making worlds for it... wish I had written legibly and not in some sort of code.

KillianHawkeye
2010-09-02, 07:09 PM
I'd say Enemies & Allies is pretty obscure for a WotC book. Although maybe that's because it's for 3.0. :smallamused:

Thurbane
2010-09-02, 09:10 PM
Some of the stuff that appears in adventures/modules can be pretty obscure - for instance, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft has a new PrC, new alchemical items, a bunch of ACFs and magic items.

Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde similarly has a few new PrCs, and Expedition to the Demonweb pits has a PrC and template.

Sindri
2010-09-02, 09:19 PM
Some of the DragonLance books are published by someone else, but they all have a WotC seal on the back, making them cannon for D&D 3.5.

Fax Celestis
2010-09-02, 09:19 PM
Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde similarly has a few new PrCs, and Expedition to the Demonweb pits has a PrC and template.

...Slaughtergarde has stuff in it? o_O News to me.

Captain Six
2010-09-02, 09:21 PM
Game of Thrones D20. It's an amazing non-magic d20 system. On the small side it's got well thought out stat adjustments for children, LA for various ranks of nobility and, finally, a chart that explains various ability score values (3-22 I think) and how the world views them; nothing big but much appreciated. On the larger side I has a really nice looking set of base classes which are always tricky to find. Occasionally I use it as a players handbook substitute so I can slowly add in magical qualities and and exotic races as I see fit, after all when was the last time you honestly though of PHB elves as exotic? I find it a lot easier to add than to take away and I like it when my players start out assuming nothing about the world/planes/existing monsters/whatnot.

Lhurgyof
2010-09-02, 09:24 PM
Not assuming 3.5 here... :smalltongue:

The Wanderer's Chronicle
Dragon Kings
The Age of Heroes
Earth, Air, Fire, and Water
Monstrous Compendium Appendix II: Terrors Beyond Tyr
Mind Lords of the Last Sea

Amphetryon
2010-09-02, 09:25 PM
...Slaughtergarde has stuff in it? o_O News to me.

Several PrCs. Some of them aren't bad at all....

Morithias
2010-09-02, 09:27 PM
Legacy of Blood is probably my favorite.

IthilanorStPete
2010-09-02, 11:16 PM
As mentioned before, Exemplars of Evil. Pretty bad book, but it has one of the most useful spells ever in it, Friendly Fire.

arguskos
2010-09-02, 11:31 PM
Some of the stuff that appears in adventures/modules can be pretty obscure - for instance, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft has a new PrC, new alchemical items, a bunch of ACFs and magic items.

IT HAS SUMMON MIRROR MEPHIT AND MIRROR MEPHITS AND YOU TALK TO ME OF PrC'S?!? :smallfurious:

Nah, it's all good. But really, I find it amusing that you point to that adventure and miss the biggest offender of any kind in the entire book. :smallbiggrin:

BunnyMaster42
2010-09-02, 11:41 PM
If you want a fairly obscure WotC book, how about Ghostwalk? That and the Dragonlance campaign setting are probably the most obscure books I actually have on hand. Although, there is something to be said for Stormwrack, the often forgotten companion to Sandstorm and Frostburn. And then there's the CoC d20 book, although I'm not sure how obscure that is. Manual of the Planes doesn't really get mentioned much either, but I'm not really sure it's all that obscure.

Thurbane
2010-09-03, 12:22 AM
IT HAS SUMMON MIRROR MEPHIT AND MIRROR MEPHITS AND YOU TALK TO ME OF PrC'S?!? :smallfurious:

Nah, it's all good. But really, I find it amusing that you point to that adventure and miss the biggest offender of any kind in the entire book. :smallbiggrin:
To be honest, I only briefly flipped through it once or twice after buying it...all that came to memory was the Cambion template, and that PrC that has abilities related to teleporting or plane hopping...:smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2010-09-03, 12:26 AM
and that PrC that has abilities related to teleporting or plane hopping...:smallbiggrin:

Jaunter. Its pretty cool. It would be a bit cooler if its abilities were on a per encounter basis rather than per day, but its still not bad. Add in a source of shadow pounce and you can have a lot of fun. Functions similar to Blade of Orien. Kinda. Dodge and Mobility prereqs suck, though...

arguskos
2010-09-03, 12:29 AM
To be honest, I only briefly flipped through it once or twice after buying it...all that came to memory was the Cambion template, and that PrC that has abilities related to teleporting or plane hopping...:smallbiggrin:
God the cambion template is TERRIBLE. I love Cambions, but that template? SOOO BAAAAD.

Keld Denar
2010-09-03, 12:30 AM
Isn't Cambion just a fancy word for "half fiend"? Isn't there already a template for that...you know, in the MM?

arguskos
2010-09-03, 12:33 AM
Isn't Cambion just a fancy word for "half fiend"? Isn't there already a template for that...you know, in the MM?
No. Cambions are full fiends that have children with tieflings, IIRC, which makes them awesome-r than puny half-fiends. Sadly, the template is ass.

Keld Denar
2010-09-03, 12:49 AM
So...he's like a 33/64th-Fiend? I see why they came up with a badass name, 33/64th-Fiend is kinda lame...

EDIT: or would he be more like a 65/128th-Fiend? 129/256th-Fiend?

arguskos
2010-09-03, 12:53 AM
So...he's like a 33/64th-Fiend? I see why they came up with a badass name, 33/64th-Fiend is kinda lame...

EDIT: or would he be more like a 65/128th-Fiend? 129/256th-Fiend?
Tieflings are not defined by blood percentages, so that wouldn't matter.

The truth of the matter is that Cambions are a relic from 2e and before, and were carried over since they came up in the fluff of the planes every now and again.

jseah
2010-09-03, 01:05 AM
Anyone heard of the Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign setting? Or is it just me who hasn't heard of it until my friend showed me?

~10 books in that one. Not including adventure modules.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-09-03, 01:16 AM
The Diablerie. Which for those of you Greater Mighty Wallop gishers out there houses the weapon with the highest damage die in the game. The Ghostwalk Campaign Setting is another favorite.Page number and weapon name please.

Anyone heard of the Kingdoms of Kalamar campaign setting? Or is it just me who hasn't heard of it until my friend showed me?

~10 books in that one. Not including adventure modules.License dropped during 3.5 just like the old Ravenloft stuff.

This thread and this one (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166512) I feel like merging as DnD 3.5's complete cannon index

Tetsubo 57
2010-09-03, 07:20 AM
I've been collecting RPGs since 1978. I was hoping for some nice obscure gaming references that I hadn't heard of before. Anything printed by WotC isn't obscure.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-03, 09:24 AM

~10 books in that one. Not including adventure modules.

Oh yeah, I actually have some of those. I remember one module actually had the players farming. Suggesting to players that perhaps they should help plant crops was hilarious.

Die Kreuzritter, 7th Sea is pretty awesome. I spose being out of print for a decadeish makes it reasonably obscure.

I also had a Hellsing d20 book for a while. Never actually got a campaign going with it, but it looked pretty badass.

Cieyrin
2010-09-03, 03:05 PM
Since we're moving out of WotC territory, I must say the d20 Warcraft book was fun for their artifice rules, even if Iron Kingdoms did it better.

Arcana Evolved is good fun, even if I've owned it and never got to play with it, since I always seem to be around people who don't want to get that far out of their D&D comfort zones...

Iron Heroes isn't that obscure but it's surprising the number of people who haven't had a chance to come marvel at its low magic brilliance.

Midnight is in a similar vein to Iron Heroes but its low magic in a different way. Not that magic doesn't exist, it's just that it's practically outlawed by the evil overdeity who rules the world and keeps the proper forces of good out. The 2nd Edition of it was way better put together, though. Double power humans? Yes please!

That's all I can think of off-hand. I'll have to pore through my books some more to see what else I'm forgetting...

Tetsubo 57
2010-09-03, 03:09 PM
If we are moving outside of WotC books but want to stay in the d2- ball park, I recommend Everstone: Blood Legacy. It is a point based system built off of the OGL. Very nicely done.

Others I like: Wars RPG (based off the CCG) and Star Wars D20 (for generic SF) though it is only obscure because it is out of print.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-03, 08:43 PM
Swashbuckling adventures. I've got a copy, and I've only heard of one other person even mention it by name on this forum. Contacted him since he mentioned wanting to buy it, but haven't heard back, that was over a year ago. I think I've had it for 4 or 5.

The 3.5 Arcanis setting. Pretty sure it's WoTC, at the very least the local gaming shop used to alternate between Living Arcanis and Living Greyhawk.

The Van Richten guides to monsters. (2nd ed) I figure they're just really old, not obscure.

+1 Arcana Unearthed. Also 'Relics and Rituals'

I guess a lot of the 3.0 campaign worlds that were created in 2001/2002 would count as obscure, you know, everything published under OGL before 3.5 came out. Crisis in Freeport comes to mind, seemed well done and fleshed out, but haven't heard anything about it in years.

Zaydos
2010-09-03, 08:58 PM
Swashbuckling adventures. I've got a copy, and I've only heard of one other person even mention it by name on this forum. Contacted him since he mentioned wanting to buy it, but haven't heard back, that was over a year ago. I think I've had it for 4 or 5.

The 3.5 Arcanis setting. Pretty sure it's WoTC, at the very least the local gaming shop used to alternate between Living Arcanis and Living Greyhawk.

The Van Richten guides to monsters. (2nd ed) I figure they're just really old, not obscure.

+1 Arcana Unearthed. Also 'Relics and Rituals'

I guess a lot of the 3.0 campaign worlds that were created in 2001/2002 would count as obscure, you know, everything published under OGL before 3.5 came out. Crisis in Freeport comes to mind, seemed well done and fleshed out, but haven't heard anything about it in years.

I remember buying Van Richten's Guide to Werewolves (I was playing 3.0 at the time but it was a wonderful book anyway) my first introduction to Ravenloft and wonderful lycanthrope fluff... I lost it years ago and I'm still sad about that.

And I have Relics and Rituals by Swords and Sorcery (so-so, has a lot of new spells I ought to actually have my monsters use eventually). Have read Arcana Unearthed (didn't like it), and don't know about the others.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-03, 09:21 PM
I remember buying Van Richten's Guide to Werewolves (I was playing 3.0 at the time but it was a wonderful book anyway) my first introduction to Ravenloft and wonderful lycanthrope fluff... I lost it years ago and I'm still sad about that.

And I have Relics and Rituals by Swords and Sorcery (so-so, has a lot of new spells I ought to actually have my monsters use eventually). Have read Arcana Unearthed (didn't like it), and don't know about the others.

Muahahaha, I have all 3 compendiums from AD&D. Not such a fan of the 3.0 versions by the two girls (partly I don't like 3.0/3.5 ravenloft).

Relics and rituals I got entirely for the ritual magic rules. Regular spells were just an added bonus

Zaydos
2010-09-03, 09:39 PM
Muahahaha, I have all 3 compendiums from AD&D. Not such a fan of the 3.0 versions by the two girls (partly I don't like 3.0/3.5 ravenloft).

Relics and rituals I got entirely for the ritual magic rules. Regular spells were just an added bonus

I only have the book I can't find (it still makes me sad because I could actually use it in 3.X and I love lycanthropes) and Domains of Dread (I found it cheap used) from 2e Ravenloft.

And yeah I got Relics and Rituals originally for just the ritual magic rules, although later I realized the best rituals were the ones that were plot points and not mechanics. Originally the spells were just a bonus; now I realize there were actually some pretty neat ones in there and a good number. As someone who loves casters I really ought to use it more.

herrhauptmann
2010-09-03, 11:20 PM
There is that 9th level spell that splits a casters brain in two, so he gets 2 move actions and 2 standard actions as each half of his brain gets to do it's thing.
Left half moves while right casts, the left half casts while right moves. A -4 to will, in exchange for double everything? Yes please. Now if only I could get a swiftblade9 in a game which allows 3rd party spells. 4 spells per round :)

ShriekingDrake
2010-09-04, 07:18 PM
None of these are obscure. How about Denizens of Avadnu? Anybody ever hear of that one besides me?

An amazing book. One of the best monster collections out there. A must have.

Tetsubo 57
2010-09-04, 07:22 PM
An amazing book. One of the best monster collections out there. A must have.

I had a different experience. The book fell flat for me. I consider it a bit of a RPG heartbreaker. It is the only monster book I ever sold from the 3E era.

Darrin
2010-09-04, 09:36 PM
I've been collecting RPGs since 1978. I was hoping for some nice obscure gaming references that I hadn't heard of before. Anything printed by WotC isn't obscure.

Cyborg Commando?
Skyrealms of Jorune?
Creeks & Crawdads?
The Hunt?
MWWG? (although this did get an update a few years back)

ShriekingDrake
2010-09-04, 10:10 PM
I had a different experience. The book fell flat for me. I consider it a bit of a RPG heartbreaker. It is the only monster book I ever sold from the 3E era.

That's a shame because we've gotten hours upon hours of GREAT roleplaying with this book. The creatures were well-balanced, well-described, and were accompanied by terrific art. I'm not sure why it fell flat for you, but it was a five star hit with our group.

Tetsubo 57
2010-09-05, 03:32 AM
Cyborg Commando?
Skyrealms of Jorune?
Creeks & Crawdads?
The Hunt?
MWWG? (although this did get an update a few years back)

I have Cyborg Commando, Skyrealms of Jorune and MWWG. I've heard of the next two. How about DeadEarth, Blood Dawn, Justifiers RPG, Time & Time Again, Metascape, Star Ace, Well of Worlds or Year of the Phoenix?

See a tour of my apartment and gaming collection here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrvm0ZCZeig

See a tour of my boxed RPG shelf here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZcJ5Tn4c7g

Tetsubo 57
2010-09-05, 03:38 AM
That's a shame because we've gotten hours upon hours of GREAT roleplaying with this book. The creatures were well-balanced, well-described, and were accompanied by terrific art. I'm not sure why it fell flat for you, but it was a five star hit with our group.

Well, first thing that comes to mind is that I didn't like the art. I know this puts me in the minority. I also remember that after reading the book I was just completely unimpressed. Nothing was memorable to me. In fact, I have almost no memory of the actual contents. I was like, 'Meh'.

Lord Raziere
2010-09-05, 04:08 AM
I know some

Doom and Darkness
Shades and Shadows
The Complete Anti-Heroes Guide
Manual of Planets and Stars
Complete Emotion
Bulbs and Lampshades
Heroes of Technology
Arcane Partners
The Complete Mystery
Kings of the Sun
Shadow on Styzanail
Bright Moon
Queens of the Moon

Bayar
2010-09-05, 09:36 AM
Don't see Slayers D20 being mentioned too often. The magic system is done really elegantly. The rest is...meh.

Also, Senzar. Admittedly, it was made for munchkins who wanted to turn it all up to 12 and often led to flamewars, but I'd probably give my left arm for a copy of the book what doesn't cost over 200 $ without shipment.

true_shinken
2010-09-05, 11:50 AM
Jaunter. Its pretty cool. It would be a bit cooler if its abilities were on a per encounter basis rather than per day, but its still not bad. Add in a source of shadow pounce and you can have a lot of fun. Functions similar to Blade of Orien. Kinda. Dodge and Mobility prereqs suck, though...

Well, they are per day, but you sure get A LOT of uses. You can also get in at levl FOUR, so you get most teleport spells before a Wizard does.
Jaunter is absolutely awesome.

dsmiles
2010-09-05, 06:34 PM
Don't see Slayers D20 being mentioned too often. The magic system is done really elegantly.

Finally! Some love for my favorite magic system! :smallbiggrin:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-05, 06:37 PM
Hyperconscious is my favorite book of all time. I only wish it was Wizards official. It's done by Bruce R. Cordell, who did plenty of official books, however.

For official books, Frostburn. Use so much from it yet few folks seem to have ever heard of it.

Cieyrin
2010-09-07, 02:15 PM
For official books, Frostburn. Use so much from it yet few folks seem to have ever heard of it.

Frostragers and Sugliins are both pretty amazing, even if the Sugliin is fundamentally flawed. It's still fun to swing a 2d8 reach weapon around, especially as a Neanderthal Barbarian. Neaderthals are also how Half-Orcs should have been, methinks. Primevals are also fun to play with...Hmm, let's just say I like a lot of things from Frostburn.:smallbiggrin:

Shademan
2010-09-07, 04:06 PM
3rd party books:
Evil
&
empires
not 3rd party...maybe: cityscape, i think its called, has gotten more known recently.
Tome of horrors revised.
traps and treachery 1 and 2

kyoryu
2010-09-07, 04:15 PM
The Primal Order?

The Tygre
2010-09-07, 05:06 PM

Did I ever mention that I have the box sets for Planes of Chaos, Order, and Conflict? Because I totally do. And I'm saying it again.

Thurbane
2010-09-07, 05:08 PM
A 3rd party book I own and quite like is Book of Familiars by Troll lord Games.

Has some ideas for familiars for all classes (some of the crunch is a bit wonky, but I like the concept), and different types of familiars.

Also has stats for a bunch of animals that aren't statted in the SRD (goats, kangaroos etc.).

Noneoyabizzness
2010-09-08, 10:25 AM
obscure?

hero builders guidebook from 3.0
into the dragon's den for 3.0 fr
book of challenges

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-09-08, 10:28 AM
Frostragers and Sugliins are both pretty amazing, even if the Sugliin is fundamentally flawed. It's still fun to swing a 2d8 reach weapon around, especially as a Neanderthal Barbarian. Neaderthals are also how Half-Orcs should have been, methinks. Primevals are also fun to play with...Hmm, let's just say I like a lot of things from Frostburn.:smallbiggrin:
Snowflake Wardance feat and the Harpoon is what did it for me in particular.

In my arctic campaign Neanderthals are the relatives of both humans and orcs, different branches of evolution. However, yes, definitely what orcs should have been.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-09-09, 01:45 PM
into the dragon's den for 3.0 frIBN number or didn't happen. (http://www.amazon.com/Into-Dragons-Abby-South-Adventures/dp/0842336311/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284057867&sr=1-1)

boj0
2010-09-09, 03:28 PM
Hmm...obscure?
Trigun d20? (http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=3670)
Dungeons and Dragons: Diablo 2 (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/main.asp?x=d2/diabloii,3)?

Ironically, Diablo 2 came out in the 00's and was 2nd edition, Trigun came out in the 90's but was d20

Tetsubo 57
2010-09-09, 03:42 PM
Hmm...obscure?
Trigun d20? (http://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=3670)
Dungeons and Dragons: Diablo 2 (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/main.asp?x=d2/diabloii,3)?

Ironically, Diablo 2 came out in the 00's and was 2nd edition, Trigun came out in the 90's but was d20

I thought that the Trigun game was more of a series guide and overview than an actual RPG. The crunch was a tad thin. I think I have a copy of Diablo 2...

Dracons
2010-09-09, 03:50 PM
IBN number or didn't happen. (http://www.amazon.com/Into-Dragons-Abby-South-Adventures/dp/0842336311/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284057867&sr=1-1)

Here ya go.

It's called into the dragon's LAIR, not den.

http://www.amazon.com/TSR-Into-The-Dragons-Lair/dp/B0012S8LQ4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1284065402&sr=8-3

Cieyrin
2010-09-09, 04:02 PM
I thought that the Trigun game was more of a series guide and overview than an actual RPG. The crunch was a tad thin. I think I have a copy of Diablo 2...

It was more of a supplement that provided BESM d20 stats for the important characters, really. Had a lot of series art in it, though, which was a plus in my book.

Darklord Xavez
2010-09-09, 04:53 PM
If you want a fairly obscure WotC book, how about Ghostwalk? That and the Dragonlance campaign setting are probably the most obscure books I actually have on hand. Although, there is something to be said for Stormwrack, the often forgotten companion to Sandstorm and Frostburn. And then there's the CoC d20 book, although I'm not sure how obscure that is. Manual of the Planes doesn't really get mentioned much either, but I'm not really sure it's all that obscure.

Yay Ghostwalk! You kill me and I'm still a playable character!
-Xavez
P.S. The cover art on that book is possibly the best cover art for any dungeons and dragons 3rd edition book in existence.

Kaje
2010-09-11, 10:43 AM
I've just discovered the Spellslinger book by Fantasy Flight Games. It's an Old West style supplement basically intended to be in the future of your basic fantasy D&D world, after technology has advanced and magic has weakened.

Things I like:
-Three base classes, roughly corresponding to Fighter, Ranger, and Rogue.

-Each class has a "core ability" which you can only gain if you take that class at character level 1. Helps fight against classes being so front-loaded.

-6 "brands" which allow you to cast magic. These basically are 1-level classes you must take at first level. 5 of the 6 very roughly correspond to D&D's Wizard, Cleric, Druid, Paladin, and Artificer.

-The wolflike "Grey Runner" race standing in for Amerindians.

Things I don't like:
-Grey Runners are LA+1.

Eldan
2010-09-11, 01:17 PM

Did I ever mention that I have the box sets for Planes of Chaos, Order, and Conflict? Because I totally do. And I'm saying it again.

Well, screw you. :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2010-09-11, 01:39 PM
One time I found Planes of Law for $2.00 (+ Shipping) on Amazon.

Eldan
2010-09-11, 02:05 PM
I'll go over to my corner and cry now.

The Tygre
2010-09-11, 05:19 PM
One time I found Planes of Law for $2.00 (+ Shipping) on Amazon.

Please tell me you had the wisdom to buy it.