PDA

View Full Version : Can't get OPEN RPG to work?

Nick_mi
2010-09-02, 05:52 PM
Whenever I try to load the server or just openrpg, the black dos menu comes up. There's like 10 lines of script, and then the dos program just immiedately closes. It's so fast I can't see anything that is in the codes.

Help?

Emmerask
2010-09-02, 06:13 PM
With Software problems it is always helpful if you post your system specs and Os this way we can more accurately say what is wrong/ what will fix the problem instead of guessworking :smallwink:

So there are some general fixes you could try:

Try to start a dos prompt before and then start the program within it.

If its a batch file then try to use it via CMD.exe with the /k option to let the prompt stay open

Nick_mi
2010-09-02, 06:37 PM
running windows vista that came on a standard dell desktop. I went to do a search on dos in my start menu because I don't exactly remember how to bring up the dos window, and when I did it gave me an error and said fail to find. Also, what does using it as cmd.exe with a /k option mean?

Jack_Simth
2010-09-02, 06:42 PM
Whenever I try to load the server or just openrpg, the black dos menu comes up. There's like 10 lines of script, and then the dos program just immiedately closes. It's so fast I can't see anything that is in the codes.

Help?
What's the specific error? That's usually helpful.

Nick_mi
2010-09-02, 06:44 PM
What's the specific error? That's usually helpful.

I did but they appear to have a very slow response time, and basically other then getting my group together, this is the only thing holding our session up.

The error is

(X) search:query=dos

Application not found

Jack_Simth
2010-09-02, 06:47 PM
I did but they appear to have a very slow response time, and basically other then getting my group together, this is the only thing holding our session up.

The error is

Application not found
That's what I'd expect of a path error... do you know where your command prompt is located? You might explicitly add it to the path (PATH=%PATH+[Directory] is the usual command)

Nick_mi
2010-09-02, 06:48 PM
I really have no idea what that means. my knowledge of computers and programming is very slim.

Emmerask
2010-09-02, 06:49 PM
running windows vista that came on a standard dell desktop. I went to do a search on dos in my start menu because I don't exactly remember how to bring up the dos window, and when I did it gave me an error and said fail to find. Also, what does using it as cmd.exe with a /k option mean?

/k just means it continues running but its only relevant if it indeed is a batch file :smallwink:

Open a command prompt manually. You will find it in Start | All Programs |
Accessories

You may have to start it with administrator privileges for your operations
to proceed correctly.

Also is it 64bit vista or 32?

Nick_mi
2010-09-02, 06:54 PM
ok found thge command prompt. It works fine.

How do I find out if it's a 32 bit or 64 bit?

Also, opened it, then went to server and double clicked on server, and it still closed right away.

Jack_Simth
2010-09-02, 06:59 PM
ok found thge command prompt. It works fine.

How do I find out if it's a 32 bit or 64 bit?

Also, opened it, then went to server and double clicked on server, and it still closed right away.

Let's see... Vista has that XP compatibility mode, right? Where you select all the files, right-click them, and tell it to set them to XP compatible?

(Sorry, I myself run a Linux box, and don't have problems with Vista anymore).

Emmerask
2010-09-02, 07:00 PM
Okay I think I know what your problem is,

You need to go to the Python directory c:/python26 (or maybe c:/python25) there rightclick on the executables python.exe -> properties -> compatibility there check the box that says run as administrator then do the same for the pythonw.exe

hope that helps

/edit the guide says you have to do that before the first run so maybe you must reinstall openRPG.

Nick_mi
2010-09-02, 07:06 PM
So what do youi need me to do, and I made it accessabile as admin and checked off the box, but still no go.

Emmerask
2010-09-02, 07:12 PM
Could you post the content of the crash-report.txt that should be in the programs folder? if its there?

Nick_mi
2010-09-02, 07:22 PM
no idea what that is. And it doesn't "crash" por say, it just closes. Runs like 7 lines, and then closes.

tried reinstalling and loading it. didn't work

leangle
2010-09-02, 10:04 PM
bumpadumpth