PDA

View Full Version : beguiler, please help

vjbp
2010-09-02, 07:04 PM
well hello everyone :)
I'm kinda new here, so not sure how to start, but, here it goes:
I read the beguiler class, and I really liked it, 'couse I'm all about roguish classes, and this one sounded better then the alternative (swashbuckler/fighter... and the likes... you know... without sleight of hand as class skill), and I can't choose rogue, or any scoundrel class for that matter, since I ... kinda of... died.
Anyways, I'm pretty new to all this spellcasting ... thingy, so I've got like ton of questions, and an idea for prestige class.
The idea is beguiler8/shadowcraft mage1 (until I advance... 'course), and I would be whisper gnome... with as much as 36k gp :P
Could you give me any suggestions on which feats should I get, or which item would be useful? And which items must I have (at spellcasting, I'm really a newb)?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-02, 07:08 PM
Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=t0kuqiua7lhvr2eeefanhskkg1&topic=2322.0) learn to love them

vjbp
2010-09-02, 07:17 PM
thanks! will read :)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-09-02, 07:33 PM
Beguiler is a fairly solid entry into Shadowcraft Mage, but there are much stronger choices such as Illusionist and Cloistered Cleric. If you want to use Shadowcraft Mage, you'll definitely want Heighten Spell, with Earth Sense and Earth Spell in RoS, along with Residual Magic in CM. (Greater) Spell Focus: Illusion is highly recommended, Rapid Metamagic in CM is pretty necessary, and Ability Focus: Silent Image from the Monster Manual should also be useful.

Note that with Earth Spell and Heighten Spell you can cast a Silent Image from a 3rd level spell slot and it will count as a 4th level spell, so you'd be able to get Shadowcraft Mage two levels sooner. You should definitely take one level of Mindbender from Complete Arcane, so it should go Beguiler 5/ Mindbender 1/ Shadowcraft Mage 3 instead of what you originally had. That lets you start out with Shadow Illusion, which should always be a Heightened Silent Image due to the caster level boost from Earth Spell. Get some sandals made from stone slabs so you'll always be standing on stone and can always benefit from Earth Spell.

Take two flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) if you can, I'd get Noncombatant and Weak Willed, because this build is fairly feat intensive. Consider using Stonehunter Gnome in Dragon Magic so you can take Practical Metamagic from Races of the Dragon, to Heighten your silent images by one more level for free. Assuming two flaws and Stonehunter Gnome, you should get Earth Sense, Earth Spell, and Heighten Spell at 1st, Spell Focus: Illuion at 3rd, Practical Metamagic: Heighten at 6th, and Residual Magic at 9th. For your future feats choose between Mindsight from Lords of Madness, Rapid Metamagic, Greater Spell Focus: Illusion, Ability Focus: Silent Image, Easy Metamagic: Heighten from Dragon 325, and Versatile Spellcaster in Races of the Dragon.

Starting out you'll be able to spend a 4th level spell slot to cast a 6th level Silent Image, which can duplicate any 5th level or lower Evocation or Conjuration (Creation or Summoning) spell, at a caster level of 13. On the following round cast a Silent Image from a 1st level spell slot and it too will be Heightened to 6th level due to Residual Magic. That can make a Wall of Force, Cone of Cold, Arc of Lightning, Summon Undead V, Extended Black Tentacles, Empowered Fireball, etc. A 3rd level spell slot casts a 5th level Silent Image, which can mimic a 4th level spell at caster level 12, and again on the following round a 1st level spell slot Silent Image is Heightened to the same level for free. That can get you an Extended Phantom Steed that lasts 24 hours and has Air Walk, and then an Extended Greater Mage Armor that also lasts 24 hours. It makes one of the most versatile characters possible in this game, so make note of what spells you can mimic with this and what situations you'd want to use them in. Dealing damage is only a small fraction of what Shadow Illusion can accomplish.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-02, 08:20 PM
While Biffonaicus_Furiou does really gives GREAT advice, he usually gives really high optimization advice and as such it might not be something your gaming table might be ready to. And as you said you are a newbie I think it will be

Kaww
2010-09-03, 08:37 AM
Well, you were given some great advice. Use it...

See you when the exams are over, or earlier if you need/want something else. :smallwink: