PDA

View Full Version : What's an unpleasant plane? D&D 3.5

druid91
2010-09-02, 07:51 PM
So I have a plan that is twisting the words of the enemy (I think its a succubus) who charmed my character. She said "Defend me" from the DM's comment that we get another save because attacking our teammate is something we wouldn't normally do its obvious it was meant to be "attack our teammate" But defend me means to protect her from harm.

The immediate threat is the angry vampire lord who is a bit angry at having his favorite spawn dominated. As well as the rest of the party who has her on their list of targets regardless.

My character can use planeshift, easily, has had this ability for a while. So I was thinking tackle her and planeshift someplace lethal, but not as immediately lethal as an almost full party of adventurers going to town on her.

My main problem is I'm low on health. 20 hitpoints, and I really don't want it to be a suicide attack.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

Zaq
2010-09-02, 07:55 PM
Elemental Plane of Earth. The problems there are a lot more... insidious, shall we say... than the overtly damaging elemental planes (Fire, Positive, Negative). Namely, you're buried alive inside an infinitely large chunk of rock. It'll keep her out of your hair, and might not even kill her, if she can find an air pocket.

Kamai
2010-09-02, 07:56 PM
The positive energy plane sounds like a place to go. If you're more badly hurt than her, it won't be a suicide attack, and healing her definitely fits under the definition. If you don't think she can plane shift herself, she eventually explodes.

JoshuaZ
2010-09-02, 07:58 PM
I don't think a charmed character would do that since the wording of charm is that you regard the individual as a trusted friend or ally. However, your wording makes it almost sound like she used Suggestion, not charm in which case the planeshift tactic might be a reasonable response. Possible planes then would depend on your alignment. But any plane that fits your alignment and doesn't fit hers well at all might make sense. Thus, you could planeshift to say any good-aligned plane and meet the criteria if you are actually good aligned. You'll just need to hope that the first attack on her occurs after the suggestion wears off otherwise you might be stuck fighting an archon or angel.

Malakar
2010-09-02, 08:00 PM
If you are a vampire spawn, go to negative energy plane.

Then you heal, and she takes pain. Good place.

Lord Vampyre
2010-09-02, 08:11 PM
Alright, your best bet is to planeshift her back to her home dimension. There is a reason demons have to generally be summoned to the prime material. It really does everything you want it to. It sends her someplace she really doesn't want to be, and it takes her out of the picture.

Now, if you are charmed you won't send her anyplace that could possibly be detrimental to her. As a DM, I really hate it when players just can't get this through their head. She is now an ally to you, more importantly you should be thinking of her as a dependant. Just roleplay with it, and quit trying to find away around the fact that you ARE charmed. She is clearly not asking you to do something that is against your characters thought process if you can get her to leave your party alone.

Now, if there is more than one threat in the room, have the rest of your party focus on the vampire. Once he's finished the charm may have worn off.

druid91
2010-09-02, 08:12 PM
My guy is a lesser tiefling, Eerie wanderer. No healing from negative energy. Though I have two vampire teammates.

As far as the positive energy plane gos it might help in me getting healed, but she just lost more HP in one round than I have. And she seems fine, smirking and all that.

Jack_Simth
2010-09-02, 08:13 PM
Any good-aligned plane will do, really. Celestia? Great place to go if you're surrounded by enemies. "Oh, wait, they hate her too? Ah, man.... but these are the good guys! And she's my Friend! Of course she's good too!"

Oh yes, and it's also full of critters that can make the Sense Motive check to tell you're operating under an enchantment. And who are also surrounded by an aura that prevents anything that gives the caster continuing control from exercising said control. Not hostile at all. Perfect, really.

Edit: Oh yes, and Plane Shift is a nifty spell in that it doesn't require the caster go with. Pushing a friend out the door and keeping the attackers occupied for a bit? Perfect, really.

Of course, if you're low on HP, that's not the way you want to go. See, she might save vs. Plane Shift. However, if she attacks you in any way, she breaks the Charm. Which means as long as your buddies keep it nonlethal vs. you, you're fine. And it's in-character to use nonlethal against your buddies (well, unless you happen to know the vamps are immune to it...) in keeping them from hurting another buddy.

The Glyphstone
2010-09-02, 08:14 PM
I think the best option is Planeshifting her to the Abyss. It's protecting her from your allies, and eliminating her from the fight at the same time. Just don't go with her.:smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2010-09-02, 08:18 PM
Any good-aligned plane will do, really. Celestia? Great place to go if you're surrounded by enemies. "Oh, wait, they hate her too? Ah, man.... but these are the good guys! And she's my Friend! Of course she's good too!".
OP is a Vampire Spawn, the men upstairs might not take too kindly to that.

Jack_Simth
2010-09-02, 08:26 PM
OP is a Vampire Spawn, the men upstairs might not take too kindly to that.Lesser Tiefling. Look at the post immediately prior to the one you quoted. Also not fond, granted, but the guy who's under an enchantment will usually get a break around the angels that halt such things simply by being nearby.

druid91
2010-09-02, 08:32 PM
I think the best option is Planeshifting her to the Abyss. It's protecting her from your allies, and eliminating her from the fight at the same time. Just don't go with her.:smallbiggrin:

part of the ability, I always go, In return for perfect accuracy.

OP is a Vampire Spawn, the men upstairs might not take too kindly to that.

Not a spawn, But he is descended from a combination of devils, demons, and one particularly strange evil family that argues the merits of each. And on top of that He is a living manifestation of far realms energy.

WarKitty
2010-09-02, 08:49 PM
To repeat the previous comment: Is it a charm or a suggestion (suggestion is a spell-like ability for succubi)? If it's a charm, a charmed character wouldn't reasonably do anything to harm the charmer. Suggestion now - well as long as you follow the letter of what she said...

Zhalath
2010-09-02, 08:57 PM
Bring her to Baator.

It's not your fault you don't know the difference between devils and demons.

...I mean, they're both scaly and horned and whatever...

Captain Six
2010-09-02, 08:57 PM
Well, if you have an evil party, judging from the races, even 'friend' means 'someone I will ditch to save myself'. Regardless of alignment there is only so much you will go through to save a friend before giving them a heartfelt "sorry" and stepping to the side. Also note that although Charm makes you their friend it does not negate old friends, so the most likely response is that you try to stop all damage both ways so everyone can discuss over their problems in a way that no one gets hurt.

In the end all a low level effect like Charm is capable of is rendering you neutral. Unless you secretly hate your party and wouldn't mind fighting them.

druid91
2010-09-02, 08:59 PM
I think it's charmed, but she is ordering me around like the dominated vampire spawn so I don't know if he forgot to type something or what. I know I skipped the first round of charms by standing in an antimagic field which I stepped out of to bring a custom mind affecting defense into play (will save or be confused) then I got hit with it and she didn't lose her mind.

Well, if you have an evil party, judging from the races, even 'friend' means 'someone I will ditch to save myself'. Regardless of alignment there is only so much you will go through to save a friend before giving them a heartfelt "sorry" and stepping to the side. Also note that although Charm makes you their friend it does not negate old friends, so the most likely response is that you try to stop all damage both ways so everyone can discuss over their problems in a way that no one gets hurt.

In the end all a low level effect like Charm is capable of is rendering you neutral. Unless you secretly hate your party and wouldn't mind fighting them.

Nope the party is my guys best friends. He might be a half-crazy,evil, Psycho but the party members are off limits to killing, And it is a mixed party, lots of arguments over whether to kill or just turn enemies in.

Captain Six
2010-09-02, 09:01 PM
You'll want to double check that, charm and dominate are incredibly different playing fields.

SwordChucks
2010-09-02, 09:04 PM
The most unpleasant plane is the one filled with snakes and Samuel L. Jackson.

druid91
2010-09-02, 09:17 PM
Quotes of the action. in order of top is the most recent. bottom is the least recent.

The demoness raises an unseen wing in attempt to Reflex Save: passed, 1/2 dmg (20), Resist Fire 10: 10 dmg; Fortitude Save: passed
1d20+24 1d20+26 her from Adrian's hell-fire blast. His attepts to and anything else she has going :p her charm and dominate effects fail entirely.

Le'eska managed to shield herself from much of the blast, the air shimmers around where her left wing should be from the heat of his conflagaration. She smirks as she pulls an electrified scourge out of no-where and takes a
AC hit: 52
Damage: 16 + 3 electric
1d20+37[dice] [dice]1d6[dice] [dice]1d8+12[dice] at Adrian, and utters four words. Isaac, Jaina... defend me.

Le'eska command will grant both Isaac and Jaina an additional Will Save, as fighting Adrian isn't likely something they want to do.

~ Round One ~
Ayame & Makluth Xvim
Adrian
Le'eska - Slowed; has taken And will take 5 more next round automatically. However, this won't get through her Fire Resistance 10
Isaac
Lenor
Jaina
~ * ~

Come, let us have a drink and relax. And you can tell me all about your experiences with the Far Realms. If you will follow me.. Her words sound reasonable enough, you all have had a long day, and after all Le'eska is a Charm Monster - Mass DC 35 (immunities I need to know about?)
Adrian: passed
Isaac: fail
Jaina: fail
Le'eska (save vs Insanity for brushing Isaac's Mind: 31
[dice]1d20+29 1d20+10 1d20 1d20+23.

Jaina walks towards Le'eska with stars in her eyes, smitten.

Gaze attack, Free Action to Dominate Jaina, Standard action to Charm - Mass

Le'eska smiles seductively at Isaac, oh that old piece of trash? It is nothing.

As Adrian nears, he is certain that she is no illusion. No, she is physical perfection, it is exceedingly rare to find any creature as Will Saves DC 37
Adrian: 49
Isaac: 28 (AMF'd)
Jaina: 9
1d20+29 1d20+10 1d20
as this. Her eyes seem to sparkle and her smile widens. So you have heard of me? What brings you to Ruun Khazai?

Jaina is quite taken in by her -2 penalty on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, ability checks, and level checks. Until end of round (then you roll vs Will again, etc). Come to me child, we should go somewhere more comfortable to talk, don't you think?, she Free Action: Dominate Monster DC 37
1d20 for Jaina to come forward.

wow, I'm a tard. Isaac wasn't affected due to proximity to the... crate

[dice=Adrian]1d20+29[dice][dice=Jaina]1d20[dice]SHE'S A NYMPH! IT'S A TRAP!

Zhalath
2010-09-02, 09:23 PM

Quoted. Going in my sig.

It appears that you have been dominated. If you want to use one of the suggestions, I'd suggest you try to recommend to the demoness: "an interplanar escape from these pests". I think she has to allow you to do stuff. The one hazard of suggesting that is that she might name a specific plane.

Then again, you could just intentionally fail a Knowledge (the planes) check...
"...there's a bunch of hells; I'm sure Mistress will be fine in any of them. She is so pretty, after all..."

Captain Six
2010-09-02, 09:26 PM
Nope the party is my guys best friends. He might be a half-crazy,evil, Psycho but the party members are off limits to killing, And it is a mixed party, lots of arguments over whether to kill or just turn enemies in.

Actually I was referring to the succubus. Charm makes your character the caster's friend and nothing more. If you're wounded bad and your 'friend' tries to use you as a meat shield you're in your rights to yell back 'heck no!' The big thing is whether or not you were charmed or dominated, it is kind of confusing in the posts.

Jack_Simth
2010-09-02, 09:41 PM
Actually I was referring to the succubus. Charm makes your character the caster's friend and nothing more. If you're wounded bad and your 'friend' tries to use you as a meat shield you're in your rights to yell back 'heck no!' The big thing is whether or not you were charmed or dominated, it is kind of confusing in the posts.

It seems it is specifically Charm Monster Mass - which would be an 'ah, no' situation or a matter of 'I'll help you escape' situation, yes.

druid91
2010-09-02, 09:42 PM
My character is Isaac, And I As far as I can tell the only one dominated was jaina, It was said in a retcon she could only dominate one at a time.

So assuming charmed. ANd I was talking about the, "Unless you secretly hate the party" bit.

ExtravagantEvil
2010-09-02, 09:50 PM
Wow, I thought the same thing looking at the title, verbatim.

druid91
2010-09-02, 10:07 PM
You know what I'm just gonna go for the original plan of hug her for con damage.

Greymane
2010-09-02, 10:59 PM
You know what I'm just gonna go for the original plan of hug her for con damage.

You-

Wait, what? You're going to hug a succubus?

Godspeed, my man. This will either end terribly, or awesomely.

Lapak
2010-09-02, 11:50 PM
Since you're charmed, you should be taking more or less whatever action you'd take if two of your party members started fighting all of a sudden, with preference (if relevant) given to the one who Charmed you.

druid91
2010-09-02, 11:53 PM
You-

Wait, what? You're going to hug a succubus?

Godspeed, my man. This will either end terribly, or awesomely.

Well I deal con damage on physical contact,though that's nothing compared with the imp guy who gives you a disease that kills your brain. I think its possession disease or something.

Since you're charmed, you should be taking more or less whatever action you'd take if two of your party members started fighting all of a sudden, with preference (if relevant) given to the one who Charmed you.

Well the Dm let me get away with having the character Laugh and stand back and let it finish, Sometimes being only semi-sane is helpful.

arguskos
2010-09-03, 12:06 AM
If you're still looking for unpleasant planes to shuffle this bitch off to, might I suggest the Elemental Plane of Time (back of Manual of the Planes)? Nothing really survives there. I don't recommend following her there. :smallbiggrin:

Mikeavelli
2010-09-03, 12:13 AM
A few non-standard choices:

- Pandemonium, it's the plane wizards and gods and factions send things they want to have disappear forever.

- Carceri, for the same reasons. It's a prison-plane, supposedly very difficult to get out of.

- Ravenloft, full stop.

Lapak
2010-09-03, 12:29 AM
- Ravenloft, full stop.I know the situation is already dealt with (it sounds that way, at least) but given that this character has to go with whoever he's sending? Ravenloft is a bad, bad, really-quite-awful plan. :smalltongue:

Greymane
2010-09-03, 12:29 AM
Well I deal con damage on physical contact,though that's nothing compared with the imp guy who gives you a disease that kills your brain. I think its possession disease or something.

And she eats your levels with hugs. It's a match made in Gehenna.

Jack_Simth
2010-09-03, 07:26 AM
I know the situation is already dealt with (it sounds that way, at least) but given that this character has to go with whoever he's sending? Ravenloft is a bad, bad, really-quite-awful plan. :smalltongue:

Plane Shift (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planeShift.htm) doesn't actually require you go with in 3.5. Target is: "Creature touched, or up to eight willing creatures joining hands" - you don't shock yourself when using Shocking Grasp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shockingGrasp.htm) (target: "Creature or object touched") do you?

Lapak
2010-09-03, 07:52 AM
Plane Shift (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/planeShift.htm) doesn't actually require you go with in 3.5. Target is: "Creature touched, or up to eight willing creatures joining hands" - you don't shock yourself when using Shocking Grasp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shockingGrasp.htm) (target: "Creature or object touched") do you?Generally true, but not in this case according to the OP:
part of the ability, I always go, In return for perfect accuracy.

Knaight
2010-09-03, 07:55 AM
Use the positive energy plane, if it heals you (I'm kind of fuzzy on what exactly your characters genetic makeup is), and let the positive energy explosion deal with the rest.

Malbordeus
2010-09-03, 08:01 AM
you could always use the command of "protect me" to remove the other guys, at the expense of your self, to another plane. leaving her standing there looking a little silly.

Lysander
2010-09-03, 08:32 AM

Exactly. Charm just makes you like them very much. You're going to do your best to break up the fight, convince everyone that this is a misunderstanding, negate their attacks against each other. In those circumstances it makes sense for you to plane shift her away to break up the fight, but you won't be able to twist the instruction into taking her to a dangerous plane since you'd actually want to help her to the best of your ability. So you can't take her to Celestia to be swarmed by angels, or to Earth to be smothered by rock. Of course you won't want to go to the lower planes for your own safety, so taking her somewhere fairly safe for both of you is the best option. Plane of Air maybe? The Outlands?

druid91
2010-09-03, 08:54 AM
Use the positive energy plane, if it heals you (I'm kind of fuzzy on what exactly your characters genetic makeup is), and let the positive energy explosion deal with the rest.

Its very simple, he is part demon, part human, part devil. And then he was made into a non euclidean horror in the far realms. He is healed by cures and hurt by inflicts.

Exactly. Charm just makes you like them very much. You're going to do your best to break up the fight, convince everyone that this is a misunderstanding, negate their attacks against each other. In those circumstances it makes sense for you to plane shift her away to break up the fight, but you won't be able to twist the instruction into taking her to a dangerous plane since you'd actually want to help her to the best of your ability. So you can't take her to Celestia to be swarmed by angels, or to Earth to be smothered by rock. Of course you won't want to go to the lower planes for your own safety, so taking her somewhere fairly safe for both of you is the best option. Plane of Air maybe? The Outlands?

Considering this is an acceptable thought bubble for this character....

Here is the official Isaac logic.

"He may have started swinging but she obviously shouldn't have offered to give a vampire and his spawn tea, everyone knows they are allergic to radishes, Its the mirrors in the roots. Anyway this should be amusing and besides we can always fix the loser up later. I wonder what color Le'eskas blood is? applesauce? green? orange? For that matter I wonder what color adrians is, Probably red its always red in the books. Oh god the books their gonna eat me alive NOOOOO!!!!!"

Zhalath
2010-09-03, 11:42 AM
I'm curious why your allied PCs don't try to snap you out of the charm. Like, try to force a save.
"Hey, your new friend? She wants to suck your levels with a kiss."

Alternatively, dispel magic.

Eldan
2010-09-03, 12:57 PM
Succubus?

The Plane of Ooze. Duh. Also a prison plane, and very fitting.

druid91
2010-09-03, 05:30 PM
I'm curious why your allied PCs don't try to snap you out of the charm. Like, try to force a save.
"Hey, your new friend? She wants to suck your levels with a kiss."

Alternatively, dispel magic.

Partly because in character we don't know its a succubus. All we know is that its our targets girlfriend, who we expected to be a gith.

They don't need me, besides I'd still be a liability, As it it stands me sitting back and away from the party is the best option, My character is a walking insanity bomb, And she can dominate me. So its best if I remain out of the fray, besides their all optimized from head to toe, one of them one-shot a dragon, My abilities are more of the biological warfare kind, I may not kill you immediately, But I make things much more unpleasant in the long run.

devinkowalczyk
2010-09-03, 10:49 PM
The city of doors (lady of pain)---the name has totally escaped me
Elemental plane of fire (city of brass is like 120 miles in diameter so it is easy to get lost)
Hell was fun to go to, especially the first layer with all the fire balls

Zhalath
2010-09-03, 10:52 PM
Partly because in character we don't know its a succubus. All we know is that its our targets girlfriend, who we expected to be a gith.

They don't need me, besides I'd still be a liability, As it it stands me sitting back and away from the party is the best option, My character is a walking insanity bomb, And she can dominate me. So its best if I remain out of the fray, besides their all optimized from head to toe, one of them one-shot a dragon, My abilities are more of the biological warfare kind, I may not kill you immediately, But I make things much more unpleasant in the long run.

I can imagine later:
"Whoa, the girlfriend was a succubus!"
"Hey, different strokes for different folks."

How does that work, being bio-warfare man? Do you have like diseases, or do you force saves every couple days? Wouldn't the ideal thing be to let the succubus take you home with her and work your ways while making Fortitude saves to avoid forced eviction of soul?

In fact, if your party is so awesome, maybe you should let your dangerous liability character go and build another. Then you can go and free yourself later, and gain control of your old character. Somehow.

:elan: Bio-warfare Man!
To his friends, he's dangerous!
To his enemies, he's lethal!
Outlawed in most civilized countries!
Bio-warfare Man! :elan:

Beorn080
2010-09-04, 05:10 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53869
The Elemental Plane of Flesh

Not immediately lethal, VERY unpleasant in a squicky sort of way, and its very unique.

However, it is homebrew, but from what I've read, GOOD homebrew.

FelixG
2010-09-04, 05:27 AM
The Positive Energy Plane is the most unpleasant of them all.

POP

druid91
2010-09-04, 05:59 PM
I can imagine later:
"Whoa, the girlfriend was a succubus!"
"Hey, different strokes for different folks."

How does that work, being bio-warfare man? Do you have like diseases, or do you force saves every couple days? Wouldn't the ideal thing be to let the succubus take you home with her and work your ways while making Fortitude saves to avoid forced eviction of soul?

In fact, if your party is so awesome, maybe you should let your dangerous liability character go and build another. Then you can go and free yourself later, and gain control of your old character. Somehow.

:elan: Bio-warfare Man!
To his friends, he's dangerous!
To his enemies, he's lethal!
Outlawed in most civilized countries!
Bio-warfare Man! :elan:

No I open holes to the far realms, Things come through the holes to infest whatever place I happen to be in until something gets them out. I am long gone in the meantime.

I make spoken words not work.(Major issue for magic types.)

I kill people by touching them. (Con damage, no save)

And because I like being bio-warfare man, Its just I am not a good guy to be dominated. I rolled really cruddy on the will save verses her custom gaze attack, anyone who does that can be dominated as a free action So me staying away is a good thing, Besides the fact that I was already blown up once.

As for the succubus, it recently became a non-issue, she was torn apart by two very angry vampires and one spawn that happened to get a natural 20 for a will save.

Zhalath
2010-09-04, 10:24 PM
The Positive Energy Plane is the most unpleasant of them all.

POP
I believe that spells PEP, not POP. The Positive Energy Plane must be the origin plane of cheerleaders.

No I open holes to the far realms, Things come through the holes to infest whatever place I happen to be in until something gets them out. I am long gone in the meantime.

I make spoken words not work.(Major issue for magic types.)

I kill people by touching them. (Con damage, no save)

And because I like being bio-warfare man, Its just I am not a good guy to be dominated. I rolled really cruddy on the will save verses her custom gaze attack, anyone who does that can be dominated as a free action So me staying away is a good thing, Besides the fact that I was already blown up once.

As for the succubus, it recently became a non-issue, she was torn apart by two very angry vampires and one spawn that happened to get a natural 20 for a will save.

That's actually kind of awesome. You're like a walking servant of the Great Old Ones.

Vampires have domination too...
Also, I thought as being undead, vampires are immune to mind-affecting.

druid91
2010-09-04, 10:33 PM
Tome of necromancy home brew Nosferatu vampires.

That's actually kind of awesome. You're like a walking servant of the Great Old Ones.

Yup, when one of the vampires noticed that I can't take ability drain or damage to physical scores, and subsequently decided I was a limitless fountain of blood, I threatened to camp on Chthulu's couch instead of with the party.:smallbiggrin:

Rasman
2010-09-04, 10:35 PM
The positive energy plane sounds like a place to go. If you're more badly hurt than her, it won't be a suicide attack, and healing her definitely fits under the definition. If you don't think she can plane shift herself, she eventually explodes.

I second this, you heal, she pops, you Plane Shift back. Win/Win IMO. ESPECIALLY if your character doesn't know if she's a Succubus or not.

gomipile
2010-09-05, 01:25 AM

I think I'd prefer that to a plane filled with venomous snakes without Samuel L. Jackson.

Amoren
2010-09-05, 03:41 AM
I can't believe no one's mentioned sending her to the Plane of Suck yet?

JoshuaZ
2010-09-05, 03:49 PM
- Ravenloft, full stop.

You can't planeshift into Ravenloft. The Dark Powers are much more particular about how who they let in. Also, it would probably take very high levels of Knowledge(the Planes) or Knowledge(Arcana) to even know about Ravenloft.