PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Rainbow Servant's Air Domain: What's the effective cleric level?

fortesama
2010-09-03, 09:31 AM
Exactly as the title says. Most of us may know that it comes with a turning ability. It's no problem for clerics but, in this case...

What would be your effective cleric level when using the Air Domain's granted power? Just your rainbow servant levels? rainbow servant levels + the qualifying class' levels? 0 as you don't have actual cleric levels? the total caster level of the qualifying class? The extra domains explanation in complete divine only gave details for the spells IIRC.

dextercorvia
2010-09-03, 12:00 PM
The Rules Compendium p146 updates the chart with Turning Level instead of Cleric level, where Turning level is your level in the class that grants the ability.

Since Rainbow Servant grants the Air domain, and therefore the Turning ability, I would say that you use that class level to determine the creatures you can turn.

fortesama
2010-09-04, 07:30 PM
So in the end, it's stuck at Turning Level 10 if I understood that correctly. Any ways i could make use of it other than having a servant horde of low-level air creatures?

Mongoose87
2010-09-04, 09:09 PM
Divine Metamagic is ever-popular.

Greenish
2010-09-04, 09:10 PM
Divine Metamagic is ever-popular.And requires Turn Undead. Some divine feats might work though.

Mongoose87
2010-09-04, 10:05 PM
And requires Turn Undead. Some divine feats might work though.

It doesn't allow other types of turning?

dextercorvia
2010-09-04, 10:06 PM
It doesn't allow other types of turning?

Errata'd text

T.G. Oskar
2010-09-04, 11:36 PM
You can use Elemental Healing and Elemental Smiting from Complete Divine to consume your uses of turn earth/rebuke air.

Elemental Healing allows you to heal creatures with the air subtype; combined with a spell or ability that grants you (or an ally) the air subtype, you can heal yourself (or your ally) up to 5d8 (roughly a free Cure Critical Wounds per use).

Elemental Smiting would allow you to damage earth subtype creatures, adding up to 10 points of damage.

If your DM allows you, you could also attempt to replace the Air domain with Air Devotion. It scales much better, you gain up to a +6 sacred bonus to AC and thrown and projectile weapons are deflected 50% of times, so you can basically gain a good ability once per minute pretty much for free. Then again, you could gain Air Devotion without replacing the domain and ask the DM to power up uses of the feat with daily uses of your turning ability (because it makes frickin' sense, and makes much better use of the ability).

fortesama
2010-09-05, 12:06 AM
Errata'd text

Where or what was the errata?

dextercorvia
2010-09-06, 11:01 AM
The Complete Divine Errata (http://132.209.40.23/w4/campagne/Downloads/Downloads_WotC/Erratas/CompDiv_Errata09102004.pdf)

In fact, glancing at the errata, it may be the way it was originally stated in the feat, but I don't have the book handy.

Page 80: Divine Metamagic feat
The boldface text needs to be added to the Benefit
paragraph of the feat description:
When you take this feat, choose a metamagic feat that
you have. This feat applies only to that metamagic feat.
As a free action, you can take the energy from turning
or rebuking undead and use it to apply a metamagic feat
to divine spells that you know. . .

Douglas
2010-09-06, 11:05 AM
The errata changed it to require that you actually have the metamagic feat that you apply DMM to, and to only work with divine spells. The requirement for specifically turn/rebuke undead is in the original text.

fortesama
2010-09-06, 06:30 PM
Looks like I already had that errata buried within my bag o' books somewhere really deep... right beside that odd mushroom which came from nowhere.

Anyways, so if i understood it right, to use DMM i'll need:

The actual feat
the ability to turn/rebuke undead
a feat slot for DMM

Based on the text it looks like i'm stuck with turn/rebuke undead or features that explicitly mentioned usable for divine feats to DMM. Is that correct?

...forgive my english. it's not my native language.

Jack_Simth
2010-09-06, 06:38 PM
So in the end, it's stuck at Turning Level 10 if I understood that correctly. Any ways i could make use of it other than having a servant horde of low-level air creatures?"Horde" it's not; you're limited to a number of hit dice equal to your [effective cleric] level. The lowest hit die [Air] critter in the SRD is the Small Air Elemental, with two hit dice. Of which you could theoretically have 5. However, you could potentially rebuke or turn [Air] or [Earth] critters with up to 14 hit dice (on a really, really good check...) which is occasionally useful against certain dragons. It's also an area effect, so if an Invisible Stalker comes your way, you don't need to know exactly where it is to neutralize it for a minute.

For the most part, though - yeah, non-combat servants.

Douglas
2010-09-06, 07:46 PM
Looks like I already had that errata buried within my bag o' books somewhere really deep... right beside that odd mushroom which came from nowhere.

Anyways, so if i understood it right, to use DMM i'll need:

The actual feat
the ability to turn/rebuke undead
a feat slot for DMM

Based on the text it looks like i'm stuck with turn/rebuke undead or features that explicitly mentioned usable for divine feats to DMM. Is that correct?
That is correct. My preferred choice for a cleric ACF if you're really trying to max out DMM is Destroy Undead from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. It specifies that it can work in place of Turn Undead for divine feats, it's really generic and open to any cleric, and might even be useful on its own. Add a PrC that grants Turn Undead (Sacred Exorcist is the most common) and a dip in Death Delver from Heroes of Horror, and you'll have three pools of uses to power DMM.

...forgive my english. it's not my native language.
I honestly couldn't tell. Your english is pretty good.