PDA

View Full Version : On fictional criminal activity.

Project_Mayhem
2010-09-03, 11:23 AM
This might seem an obvious question, but I don't want to accidentally break the forum rules.

I just started posting in the ffrp section. All well and good. The first character I created was taken from a game I played irl, and I wanted to double check if the drug habit he had was unacceptable to depict in the playground. As I understand it, that is the case, so I removed it. However, as I was reading the Inappropriate topics section, I noticed this:

Inappropriate Topics
The following topics are always off-limits on these forums, no matter what (hence, Inappropriate Topics). Any posts including these topics will be edited, and any threads started to discuss these topics will be locked. Please note that, as specifically stated below, these topics remain off-limits even where they intersect with gaming or other activities discussed on these forums, and that putting an alert for "Adult" or "Mature" content on the thread does not allow circumvention of this rule. Likewise, if you can't post something under the Forum Rules, please don't link to that content.

* Real-world religions (including religious reactions to gaming)
* Real-world politics (including political reactions to gaming)
* Graphic violence
* Illegal drugs
* Illegal/Criminal activity
* Giving legal advice
* Explicit sexuality

Even a single comment, reference, or post on these topics violates the Forum Rules. Please read these terms with the widest possible breadth and avoid such comments.

Is this only referring to real crime and illegality, or is it all crime and illegality. For example the, entirely fictional, character in question is a cat burglar, and sometime smuggler - is talking about, or depicting his, entirely fictional, criminal activity a problem?

I would have assumed not, as enforcing that strictly would kind of invalidate discussion of large amounts of DnD in general; the entire rogue class for example. However, I just thought it would be worth asking for clarification

InaVegt
2010-09-03, 11:28 AM
I do believe it's the same category as fictional religion, which I seem to recall being an allowed topic. IANAM, however.

Project_Mayhem
2010-09-03, 12:22 PM
Ah good, there's a precedent.

Keld Denar
2010-09-03, 01:10 PM
Given that most PCs can be genocidal murderers*, robbers, fences, guerillias, smugglers, and take part in all manner of other illegal activities and still maintain a [Good] alignment, I'd say its kinda vague.

*Its not murder if it has green skin, right? :smallcool:

Roland St. Jude
2010-09-03, 01:36 PM
Sheriff: As long as you keep it fictional and don't dwell on or fetishize the drug use (or violence), it's fine. FFRP is a bit more sensitive than PbP because in FFRP anyone can join at any time. So try not to get into too much detail about the drug use and you should be fine.