PDA

View Full Version : Duke Nukem Forever is getting a release

Jibar
2010-09-03, 01:38 PM
It's at PAX and in development.

Reactions?

A bit what for me. But Hell, at least they'll finally get to do a definitive Duke Nukem Forever list.

Asheram
2010-09-03, 01:46 PM

Reactions?

A bit what for me. But Hell, at least they'll finally get to do a definitive Duke Nukem Forever list.

Hehehehe....Hahahaha. :smallbiggrin: That's a good one.
No, but I doubt it'll ever get released.
It's an eternity project: They've sunk too much money into it to let it stop, but it can't possibly be that good that it'll make up for the losses. So they'll keep "improving it" the best they can.

Comet
2010-09-03, 01:51 PM
I'll believe the game exists once I've personally played it at least up to the second level.

Starbuck_II
2010-09-03, 01:56 PM
Hehehehe....Hahahaha. :smallbiggrin: That's a good one.
No, but I doubt it'll ever get released.
It's an eternity project: They've sunk too much money into it to let it stop, but it can't possibly be that good that it'll make up for the losses. So they'll keep "improving it" the best they can.

Kinda like Starcraft Ghost?

Starfols
2010-09-03, 01:57 PM
Personally, I think it should remain 'in development' forever, because it's been too long to justify, no matter how good it is. This way, there's an air of mystery about it, and it becomes part of the lore of gaming. :smallsmile:

If it ever really does come out, it will be that one game that got stuck in development for years and years, and (short of a miracle) didn't really amount to much. :smallannoyed:

endoperez
2010-09-03, 02:20 PM
They should release a sequel for it. "Duke Nukem Forever II". :smallbiggrin:

Maximum Zersk
2010-09-03, 02:22 PM

At that point, they'll know when to put the release date.

Coming soon sometime before the Heat Death of the Universe!

Comet
2010-09-03, 02:25 PM

Duke Nukem Forever and Ever?

Spiryt
2010-09-03, 02:28 PM
They should rather wait a bit, preparing everything nicely for some new engine to base everything on.

No need to hurry things.

Emperor Ing
2010-09-03, 02:32 PM
The cake is a lie, fellas. :smallfrown:

Pronounceable
2010-09-03, 02:40 PM
They should release a sequel for it. "Duke Nukem Forever II".
Now THAT would be awesome.

Ikialev
2010-09-03, 02:41 PM
Meh, everyone stopped caring about DNF at least ten years ago.

Zordrath
2010-09-03, 05:47 PM
There are now previews (http://kotaku.com/5629782/duke-nukem-forever-impressions-two-girls-one-duke?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+%28Kotaku%29) and screenshot galleries. (http://www.joystiq.com/screenshots/duke-nukem-forever-hands-on/3330256/#/4) Looks like it actually is happening :smalleek:

Graphics aren't as bad as I feared after such a long development cycle, though nothing to write home about. Atmosphere and gameplay seem to be similiar to how they were over a decade ago (except with Halo-style autohealing), it's everyone's call whether that's a good or bad thing.

I never played the previous Duke games, but I might get this one simply for its historical value.

JDMSJR
2010-09-03, 05:58 PM
Here is an article about it...Gearbox Software took it over it seems.

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/surprise-duke-nukem-forever-uncanceled-playable-at-pax/1409763

Zordrath
2010-09-03, 06:00 PM
One of the best developers they could have chosen for a game like this, in my opinion. Though it would be interesting to know in what state they received the game, whether they had to do a lot of work from scratch or only had to polish what already existed.

MamaLuigi
2010-09-03, 06:02 PM
One of the best developers they could have chosen for a game like this, in my opinion. Though it would be interesting to know in what state they received the game, whether they had to do a lot of work from scratch or only had to polish what already existed.

Read somewhere that the game was about 60% done when 3D realms went bust, Which explains on why its coming out next year.

Ranielle
2010-09-03, 06:10 PM
I'd let Running with Scissors make DNF =P

Sounds mediocre so far, will buy and play for novelty, and to show the box to my father. He was a gamer when Duke Nukem 3D came out ;P

KBF
2010-09-03, 06:24 PM
Well, Duke Nukem Forever has been in development guys. Screenshots have been released, though they looked more brown. So this classic style is, yes, the best thing ever.

If this game can herald the end of the endless sea of brown, this will all be worth it.

LordShotGun
2010-09-03, 06:52 PM
Sure it has screenshots and a release date but thats happened like 5 times already. People are kinda at the point where they dont care and will belive it when we see it on game store shelves.

Forbiddenwar
2010-09-03, 07:00 PM
Duke who what now?
Just kidding a bit. It's the sequel of a game our parent's use to play, right? All I remember is I was too young. What's so good about Duke Nukem?

NEO|Phyte
2010-09-03, 07:21 PM
Duke who what now?
Just kidding a bit. It's the sequel of a game our parent's use to play, right? All I remember is I was too young. What's so good about Duke Nukem?

Duke is more or less the original oneliner-spewing video game protagonist, out to save humanity's womenfolk from evil aliens. He's the master chief of his generation, basically.

Also, Duke Nukem Forever has been in development hell for 13+ years (http://duke.a-13.net/), so it finally existing is kind of a thing.

Trazoi
2010-09-03, 08:44 PM
Since Duke Nukem Forever has been handed over to another developer (Gearbox), odds are very good that the game will genuinely be in stores sometime in the next couple of years. Although I lost interest in the game a decade ago, Gearbox seems a good choice of developer to get it done.

I wonder if anyone still has a preorder stub from 1998 and whether game stores will still honour them.

NEO|Phyte
2010-09-03, 09:05 PM
I wonder if anyone still has a preorder stub from 1998 and whether game stores will still honour them.

Dunno about 1998, how about some 2001?http://i.a-13.net/slash000_fudigg.jpg

Though as far as I'm aware, Gamestop won't be honoring it.

Rockphed
2010-09-03, 09:16 PM
Blech. Personally I was hoping they would let the FPS side of Duke Nukem die and go back to something closer to a sidescroller. Oh, well. I will probably at least look at this game before condemning it to the abyss.

Esser-Z
2010-09-03, 09:18 PM
It'll sell well, for a certain definition of well, no matter the quality, simply because of what it is.

Really, it's sad to see the game (likely) come out. The fun's in the wait, with this one. On the other hand, PRESS LEFT TO BEER.

KBF
2010-09-03, 09:28 PM
Blech. Personally I was hoping they would let the FPS side of Duke Nukem die and go back to something closer to a sidescroller. Oh, well. I will probably at least look at this game before condemning it to the abyss.

...You wanted them to make an entirely different game?

Er.. Just.. Buy a sidescroller instead..?

Domochevsky
2010-09-03, 09:39 PM
...You wanted them to make an entirely different game?

Er.. Just.. Buy a sidescroller instead..?

Haha, you silly person you... Duke Nukem 1 and 2 were sidescrolling platformers. The third was 3D. :smallwink:

That being said, Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project was pretty good. They should make another one in that vein. :smallsmile:

Mando Knight
2010-09-03, 09:46 PM
Duke is more or less the original oneliner-spewing video game protagonist, out to save humanity's womenfolk from evil aliens. He's the master chief of his generation, basically.

Crossed with Kratos's omnicidal tendencies and sexual orgies.

Duke's upset with Master Chief because he didn't do enough hot women (and/or space aliens), and he's upset with Kratos because he was to whiny.

Breltar
2010-09-03, 10:59 PM
Gearbox Studios who made Borderlands is now developing it so we might actually see it happen.

wojonatior
2010-09-04, 12:56 AM
Yea, gearbox actually develops games, and understands deadlines, it will actually get released.

Jibar
2010-09-04, 02:43 AM
Also, Duke Nukem Forever has been in development hell for 13+ years (http://duke.a-13.net/), so it finally existing is kind of a thing.

Someone needs to email that guy and tell him the Duke ain't dead just yet.
He's got more updates to make to that list o' his.

Deth Muncher
2010-09-04, 02:47 AM
Man, I'm just gonna start yelling "I'VE GOT BALLS OF STEEL! STEEEEEEEEEEEL!" everywhere now. Especially at my WoW friends. :smallamused:

Breltar
2010-09-04, 08:06 AM
Kotaku's review from PAX. This sounds pretty damn good.

http://kotaku.com/5629782/duke-nukem-forever-impressions-two-girls-one-duke

It seems like its about time to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum.

Yora
2010-09-04, 08:57 AM
Not so fast! It's still not 2011 yet.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-04, 10:11 AM
Yahtzee (Zero Punctuation) reviews Duke Nukem Forever. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1968-Viewers-Choice-Duke-Nukem-Forever)

Deth Muncher
2010-09-04, 10:59 AM
Yahtzee (Zero Punctuation) reviews Duke Nukem Forever. (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1968-Viewers-Choice-Duke-Nukem-Forever)

Incorrect. This was a joke. (Just for those of you who didn't know.)

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-09-04, 11:14 AM
Incorrect. This was a joke. (Just for those of you who didn't know.)

I think we could all figure that one out. :smalltongue:

Deth Muncher
2010-09-04, 11:21 AM
I think we could all figure that one out. :smalltongue:

Well, once you WATCH it, sure. :P I just wanted to prevent any potential "WTF MAN" moments.

Inhuman Bot
2010-09-04, 01:52 PM

Reactions?

I heard it awhile ago, but I never really cared about Duke Nukem. :smalltongue:

Winterwind
2010-09-04, 01:55 PM
At the risk of sounding ridiculously old, I never got quite used to the fact they made an FPS out of it. To me, Duke Nukem will forevermore stay a platformer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_%28video_game%29). :smalltongue:

Jibar
2010-09-04, 02:04 PM
I heard it awhile ago, but I never really cared about Duke Nukem. :smalltongue:

If by awhile ago you mean yesterday, then yes you did.
There's been rumours for a while but yesterday was the official announcement, with the surprise booth at PAX being the first news that Gearbox were actually planning to release it at some point.

Inhuman Bot
2010-09-04, 04:43 PM
If by awhile ago you mean yesterday, then yes you did.
There's been rumours for a while but yesterday was the official announcement, with the surprise booth at PAX being the first news that Gearbox were actually planning to release it at some point.

No, I recall a voice actor saying he was doing some work on it. That may not have been an announcement, though.

Archdeacon GX
2010-09-04, 05:01 PM
Believe it or not, I'm actually looking forward to this game. I used to play Duke 3D when I was about 4 or 5 (yes, my parents allowed me to and I seem to have grown up well enough), and I loved it to death. Duke Nukem will always be one of my favorite FPS protagonists, as he was my very first. So I was very sad when I heard that DNF was unlikely to ever be released. But this is giving me hope.

Arachu
2010-09-04, 05:34 PM
Holy hormones, Batman! Duke's been necromanced!

I hope you can use the boot attack from Total Meltdown.

Domochevsky
2010-09-04, 06:17 PM
Holy hormones, Batman! Duke's been necromanced!

I hope you can use the boot attack from Total Meltdown.

The doubleboot? :smallwink:

Arachu
2010-09-04, 06:30 PM
Man, hopping around and kicking might have been the funnest part of that freakin' game...

... Whatever happened to the Facehugger-allegory piles of goo, I wonder? There were plenty of eggs at the end of Time to Kill, but where's the brain-eater-things at?

Trazoi
2010-09-04, 08:03 PM
At the risk of sounding ridiculously old, I never got quite used to the fact they made an FPS out of it. To me, Duke Nukem will forevermore stay a platformer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_%28video_game%29). :smalltongue:
I never got used to the change of tone. Making a FPS out of Duke, fine, but why does Duke start with a regular pistol instead of a laser gun? Duke's all about shooting drumsticks with lasers to turn them into roast chickens.

Emperor Ing
2010-09-05, 09:03 AM
Hay guys check this out: For all you old school Contra fans who aren't 100% pleased at Duke Nukem Never being an FPS, there's Duke Nukem: Manhattan project that i'm sure you'd enjoy. :smallwink:

Trailer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL76LmKS7nI&feature=fvst)

Domochevsky
2010-09-05, 10:26 AM
Hay guys check this out: For all you old school Contra fans who aren't 100% pleased at Duke Nukem Never being an FPS, there's Duke Nukem: Manhattan project that i'm sure you'd enjoy. :smallwink:

Trailer. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL76LmKS7nI&feature=fvst)

Huh, they bring the '02 PC version now to the XBox? :smallconfused:
I think i'm missing a joke of sorts here. >_>

Domochevsky
2010-09-08, 01:24 PM
So, looks like there's a playable demo at PAX. It's really happening. :smalleek:

Asheram
2010-09-08, 04:09 PM
So, looks like there's a playable demo at PAX. It's really happening. :smalleek:

I disbelief the "Duke Nukem:Forever" ... ... ... Is it still there?

JediSoth
2010-09-09, 08:13 AM
I loved Duke 3D when it came out and played the heck out of it (plus the Atomic Edition expansion pack). I was really excited when DNF was announced. Then it was delayed. And delayed. I got a new computer. It was delayed. I got another new computer (or two, I've lost count at this point).

I'll believe it when I have it installed on my system and can actually play it. Hopefully, it will come out soon enough that it will actually run on my current PC (AMD Phenom II X6, 8GB RAM, Radeon HD5870, Blu-Ray). I enjoyed Borderlands, so it could be the awesomesauce. It could also be sucktastic like Daikatana.