PDA

View Full Version : Varag racial class or LA 2?

Traveler
2010-09-03, 02:45 PM
Backstory spoiled for length.
I'm building a meatshield for an up coming campaign with a level 3 build. So I want to try out varag. Now if try to take the five level "racial class" as perscribed in the MM4 I'll be so far behind in everything it wont be close to being effective. Then I saw there is just the LA +2. O.K. I'll use that instead. We already have a charcter that is a drow. +2 or +1 depending how you read the rules, right?
So I ran it by the guy who played the drow and he said take the racial class. I asked him about his drow and he said he didn't need LA levels :smallannoyed:. So were are having a LA rule discussion.

So my question is this. By the rules, should I take the varag's racial level chart and stay behind everyone, or take the LA +2?

arguskos
2010-09-03, 02:50 PM
So I ran it by the guy who played the drow and he said take the racial class. I asked him about his drow and he said he didn't need LA levels :smallannoyed:. So were are having a LA rule discussion.
Sooooo, lemme get this straight. You asked the drow guy (who isn't the DM) and he told you one thing, then mentioned he didn't take the LA? And you're alright with this? Talk to the DM about all this stuff.

So my question is this. By the rules, should I take the varag's racial level chart and stay behind everyone, or take the LA +2?
Neither. If the drow doesn't have to take LA, why should you?

In a fair situation, I'd still say the LA. The racial progression is pretty terrible. It is worth nothing though that Varag DO have 3 HD. If you're starting below level 5, you sorta have to take the racial progression.

Zaydos
2010-09-03, 02:52 PM
Is he a drow, or a lesser drow from the Players Guide to Faerun (or Races of Faerun, I can never remember which one had them). Because the first should have +2 LA, the latter has 0 LA.

That said you should be asking the DM, not a player anyway.

Traveler
2010-09-03, 02:58 PM
He is full drow. And I brought it to him because the DM is... new. Knows how to play characters, can follow stat blocks, read the room discriptions, give out xp. But the DM lack experience. We are giving her a chance to learn because she wanted to.
Anyway, usually I run things him by him and vice versa. It just this isn't the first we had this dicussion. So I wanted to know, by outside sources, what to do.

arguskos
2010-09-03, 02:59 PM
He is full drow. And I brought it to him because the DM is... new. Knows how to play characters, can follow stat blocks, read the room discriptions, give out xp. But the DM lack experience. We are giving her a chance to learn because she wanted to.
Then he gets to suck on LA +2 and have one class level. You, sadly, have to do something similar. Since you're starting at level 3, you can't play a full Varag (that'd give you LA +2 and 3 HD, which makes you a level 5 equivalent). Take the racial class, sad as it is. After level 5, take levels in anything else.

Traveler
2010-09-03, 03:05 PM
Thanks arguskos. I appreciate it.

arguskos
2010-09-03, 03:07 PM
Thanks arguskos. I appreciate it.
Sure sure. Do note that the racial class in the Varag entry is really misleading. Basically, it's five levels long, not twenty. After level 5, you take levels in normal classes and enjoy the benefits thereof.