PDA

View Full Version : Mournland and Body Adjustment

Rowan Arquest
2010-09-03, 03:37 PM
I have a very easy (or is it hard?) question, does Body Adjustment work in the Mournland?

And what other forms of healing do/don't work? Although I do know that Goodberry works because it is transmutation.

RandomLunatic
2010-09-03, 03:55 PM
Sure it does. The Mournlands only shuts down Conjuration (Healing) spells and natural healing. Anything else is good to go. Anything.

Tetrasodium
2010-09-03, 04:55 PM
I have a very easy (or is it hard?) question, does Body Adjustment work in the Mournland?

And what other forms of healing do/don't work? Although I do know that Goodberry works because it is transmutation.

Body Adjustment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/bodyAdjustment.htm)
Psychometabolism (Healing)
You take control of your body’s healing process, curing yourself of 1d12 points of damage. As usual, when regular damage is healed, an equal amount of nonlethal damage is also healed.

I'd say it's iffy.

lesser_minion
2010-09-03, 05:00 PM
If you're using Psionics-Magic Transparency, then I'd recommend forbidding Body Adjustment from working in the mournland, since any spell with the healing subschool would be blocked.

However, The Sage seems to think that you'd be fine.

Otherwise, anything goes. The only real gotcha is Fast Healing, which is actually considered to be a special case of natural healing.

Zen Master
2010-09-03, 05:40 PM
Sure it does. The Mournlands only shuts down Conjuration (Healing) spells and natural healing. Anything else is good to go. Anything.

Funny. To my thinking, the only way to get any healing of any kind what so ever in Mournland is to be a warforged, and use repair construct.

That's why that Lord of Blades guy likes it there. Fairly solid tactical advantage against anyone else =)

Tetrasodium
2010-09-03, 05:56 PM
Funny. To my thinking, the only way to get any healing of any kind what so ever in Mournland is to be a warforged, and use repair construct.

That's why that Lord of Blades guy likes it there. Fairly solid tactical advantage against anyone else =)

There are a few gaps, goodberry and I believe I've read that paladin lay on hands works too, some of the tome of battle devoted spirit stuff is probably debatable too. Apparently psychometabolism is equivalent to transmutation, so would actually work on a juggernaut, but it's a healing subschool so would only benefit them 50% due to the wording on heal immunity on juggernauts and heal resistance from warforged.

ECS page 188 says this about the mournlands though "Natural healing does not occur in the Mournland, and spells and spell-like effects of the healing subschool do not work" so it probably wouldn't work there. The fluff is using natural healing, the mechanics is a healing subschool of psychomatabolism.

Rowan Arquest
2010-09-03, 08:51 PM
There are a few gaps, goodberry and I believe I've read that paladin lay on hands works too, some of the tome of battle devoted spirit stuff is probably debatable too. Apparently psychometabolism is equivalent to transmutation, so would actually work on a juggernaut, but it's a healing subschool so would only benefit them 50% due to the wording on heal immunity on juggernauts and heal resistance from warforged.

ECS page 188 says this about the mournlands though "Natural healing does not occur in the Mournland, and spells and spell-like effects of the healing subschool do not work" so it probably wouldn't work there. The fluff is using natural healing, the mechanics is a healing subschool of psychomatabolism.

See that's what I thought as well. The description for the Power is that you control your body's natural healing cycle and accelerate it. Since it is "technically" natural, it shouldn't work. Goodberry works because it is transmutation, but the way Body Adjustment is worded means it shouldn't work. Thanks for the help on this issue, but if anyone can quote "word of god" that it DOES work, be sure to post.

Snake-Aes
2010-09-03, 09:42 PM
If you're using Psionics-Magic Transparency, then I'd recommend forbidding Body Adjustment from working in the mournland, since any spell with the healing subschool would be blocked.

However, The Sage seems to think that you'd be fine.

Otherwise, anything goes. The only real gotcha is Fast Healing, which is actually considered to be a special case of natural healing.

Do the mournlands block "Conjuration(Healing)" or do they block "(healing)"? Because if they block Conjurations with the healing subtype, BA is fine since the psychometabolism analog is transmutation.

Rowan Arquest
2010-09-03, 09:56 PM
It only says spells and spell-like effects of the healing subschool. And Body Adjustment says "psycho-metabolism (healing)."

Snake-Aes
2010-09-03, 09:58 PM
Then no BA, I guess.

Marnath
2010-09-03, 10:09 PM
That's right, no healing for you fleshbag! Wither and die in the cold desolation of Mournlands. You cannot escape the living spells, undead, and harsh unnatural weather weakling. Only the children of the Lord of Blades prosper here. This place is like us, hard and merciless. As the life leaves you know that you are nothing, and you have nothing, and all that you have accomplished crumbles to naught but ashes in the wind when we come to cleanse the land of your corruption. ALL HAIL THE LORD OF BLADES!!

....lol

ghost_warlock
2010-09-04, 03:55 AM
That's right, no healing for you fleshbag! Wither and die in the cold desolation of Mournlands. You cannot escape the living spells, undead, and harsh unnatural weather weakling. Only the children of the Lord of Blades prosper here. This place is like us, hard and merciless. As the life leaves you know that you are nothing, and you have nothing, and all that you have accomplished crumbles to naught but ashes in the wind when we come to cleanse the land of your corruption. ALL HAIL THE LORD OF BLADES!!

....lol

Vigor/Share Pain + Empathic Transfer still works just fine you metallic hunk of junk. :smallamused:

Marnath
2010-09-04, 12:31 PM
Vigor/Share Pain + Empathic Transfer still works just fine you metallic hunk of junk. :smallamused:

Lol, but how long can you keep that up being harried literally 24/7? Eventually you'll get tired :smalltongue:

Drascin
2010-09-04, 01:00 PM
Lol, but how long can you keep that up being harried literally 24/7? Eventually you'll get tired :smalltongue:

When your plan is "wait until he's tired from killing us!", you might want to rethink your plan :smalltongue:.

Marnath
2010-09-04, 01:10 PM
When your plan is "wait until he's tired from killing us!", you might want to rethink your plan :smalltongue:.

Huh? I never said that. By harried, I was thinking more "I jump out from behind a rock and throw my spear, and then run back over the hill and hide again." If you are skirmishing/harrying an enemy and they kill you, you're doing it wrong. Terrain and tactics are important for that. Come at your enemy from every way except where you want them to go, give them no choice but one to escape a hail of arrows and spears from the dark.

Zen Master
2010-09-04, 05:29 PM
"Natural healing does not occur in the Mournland, and spells and spell-like effects of the healing subschool do not work"

That, to me, means: Your hitpoints had better last until you cross the border again.

I do agree that if you insist on reading only what it says, several ways of getting hitpoints back might work. But I never read anything that way. To me, healing in Mournland is a no go. No return of any hitpoints by any power under the sun. Except that constructs can be repaired - and well ... possibly negative energy would heal undead? I dunno ...?! Yea - I've just decided that it would.

Sydonai
2010-09-05, 01:32 PM
That, to me, means: Your hitpoints had better last until you cross the border again.

I do agree that if you insist on reading only what it says, several ways of getting hitpoints back might work. But I never read anything that way. To me, healing in Mournland is a no go. No return of any hitpoints by any power under the sun. Except that constructs can be repaired - and well ... possibly negative energy would heal undead? I dunno ...?! Yea - I've just decided that it would.

.....You don't know about goodberry? First level Druid spell, Word of God, works in the Mournland.

Marnath
2010-09-05, 01:41 PM
It only says spells and spell-like effects of the healing subschool. And Body Adjustment says "psycho-metabolism (healing)."

To actually contribute to the thread, I'd have to say if this is the RAW then no I wouldn't allow Body adjustment. But then, I'd have tried my hardest to kill you at the fog :smallwink:

Greenish
2010-09-05, 03:17 PM
.....You don't know about goodberry? First level Druid spell, Word of God, works in the Mournland.There's also Goodberry Wine (or something like that), which is specifically called as working in the Mournland.

[Edit]: And Cyre Scout PrC allows natural healing in Mournland.

ghost_warlock
2010-09-05, 05:18 PM
Huh? I never said that. By harried, I was thinking more "I jump out from behind a rock and throw my spear, and then run back over the hill and hide again." If you are skirmishing/harrying an enemy and they kill you, you're doing it wrong. Terrain and tactics are important for that. Come at your enemy from every way except where you want them to go, give them no choice but one to escape a hail of arrows and spears from the dark.

Except that your "skirmish" tactics fail in the face of a lvl 1 druid spell: entangle. Massive area of effect, long range (much farther than your piddly movement rate, even at a dead run).

Druid: never leave home without one. :smallbiggrin:

Rowan Arquest
2010-09-05, 09:59 PM
I just remembered the ultimate workaround to the healing problem... Rope Trick at 9th caster level. You are technically in another plane, and if cast at lvl 9, you have a place to sleep the requisite 8 hours. :D

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 10:10 PM
Dread Necromancer + Tomb Tainted Soul. Never rely on Conjuration (Healing) to get to full HP again.

Also would Touch of Healing (Complete Champion page 62) work? It's a reserve feat that requires a conjuration (healing) spell that you have available to cast, and its power is based off of your highest level healing spell available, but it is in fact a supernatural ability and therefore doesn't have any school or subschool. So it should be RAW legal, although probably not intentional. Then again it keeps the party stuck at 50% or less health which still makes the Mournlands lethal.

Tyndmyr
2010-09-05, 10:14 PM
Seems like it'd be quite appropriate, even if RAW legal. Running around at half hp is no joke.

NEO|Phyte
2010-09-05, 11:05 PM
Except that your "skirmish" tactics fail in the face of a lvl 1 druid spell: entangle. Massive area of effect, long range (much farther than your piddly movement rate, even at a dead run).

Druid: never leave home without one. :smallbiggrin:

Fun fact, entangle isn't much use in the Mournland.

Area: Plants in a 40-ft.-radius spread

Not much in the way of shrubbery out here.

mobdrazhar
2010-09-05, 11:21 PM

This is all dependant on whether your DM classifies psionics and spells as the same thing or 2 seperate entitites.

If they classify them as the same then it wouldn't work... if different then it should work

Rowan Arquest
2010-09-06, 12:06 AM
I'm the DM for this campaign and I am using magic = psionics. But I do think Rope Trick solves the problem quite well...

Marnath
2010-09-06, 12:35 AM
Fun fact, entangle isn't much use in the Mournland.

Not much in the way of shrubbery out here.

Exactly. If you do find a few blades of grass or a bush, it's as likely as not to turn into some sort of freakish plant creature hungry for your flesh as to entangle the raiders. That's assuming that you have a druid in the party, he has entangle prepared(why would you, it's a wasteland) and he has a decent initiative because all the uber-cheese in the world doesn't help if you don't get to take a turn. Unlikely that anything can oneshot a druid, but then again it's not like there are no warforged wizards.....