PDA

View Full Version : ActingITP

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-03, 04:14 PM
Yeah, so are their any fellow people on here who enjoy acting? Been in any plays recently? Seen any good plays recently? Been neglecting the theatre? I suppose this could go in media discusson if people start talking about what plays they enjoy.
Discuss.

CrimsonAngel
2010-09-03, 04:29 PM
I love acting, but I never realy liked memorizing lines and stuff. Atleast me not being in any plays keeps my friends vulnerable to my trickery.

Zexion
2010-09-03, 04:32 PM
I'm in a teen acting camp right now, in fact! We're performing Love's Labour's Lost, and I am Moth! :smallbiggrin:

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-03, 04:34 PM
I love acting, but I never realy liked memorizing lines and stuff. Atleast me not being in any plays keeps my friends vulnerable to my trickery.

Thats why I don't ever want to be one of the main MAIN characters.

I'm in a teen acting camp right now, in fact! We're performing Love's Labour's Lost, and I am Moth! :smallbiggrin:

Cool. My school's putting on the Hobbit, and I'm the Goblin King :smallbiggrin:

CrimsonAngel
2010-09-03, 04:46 PM
I was always like 3 main NPCs in any of the plays I was in. :smallannoyed:

Zordrath
2010-09-03, 05:42 PM
I always enjoyed acting acting at a school, even though I never got to be in something as awesome as the Hobbit :smallbiggrin:

Sadly, during my last few attempts at getting into an hobbyist acting group (both at school and outside of it), I really didn't get along with the established members, so I haven't done any actual acting for some time.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-03, 05:44 PM
Let's see, I've played:

The Fool, in King Lear
Sir Toby Belch, in Twelfth Night
The Principal/The Medic in a play my friends wrote and directed.
The Rebel Student, in another play a friend wrote and directed.
Oberon, in a Shakespeare mix-up play a different friend wrote and directed, that was brilliantly well done.
This year, I'll probably be playing Sergeant DeLarge in another brilliant play that my shakespeare play wrote, and might be directing.

I love acting, and plays, and such.

Remmirath
2010-09-03, 07:51 PM
I love acting (and most other aspects of theatre, really), but I haven't actually been in a play recently. I keep wanting to audition for a show at the local community theatre, but they're always doing musicals... and I can't sing. At all. :smallsigh:
I had done stuff with the local children's theatre before I graduated from highschool a couple years ago, and so that's where I've done pretty much everything so far. Since then I've helped out with running crew and lighting and such things at other theatres, but haven't auditioned (they keep either doing musicals, or shows that seem to require everybody to be at least fifteen years older than I am... and I'm told I look younger than I am, not older).

I've been acting at least some since I was about six, but my most recent roles (I.E., within the last five years) have been:

Eeyore in Winnie-the-Pooh
Fenris Ulf in the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Morgan Le Fey in Young King Arthur
The Captain in Beauty and the Beast
Hippolyta in A Midsummer Night's Dream

I've also done some touring troupe stuff, and a variety of other minor roles (most of which really haven't been very interesting). I intend to start taking theatre classes when I start college at the beginning of next year, and hopefully that'll get me back into it.

At least I can't get too rusty while doing so much roleplaying. Or so I tell myself. :smalltongue:

Cool. My school's putting on the Hobbit, and I'm the Goblin King :smallbiggrin:

That sounds like fun. :smallbiggrin: The theatre I've mainly done stuff with did the Hobbit once. I didn't get cast (which I didn't feel too bad about because it was a huge audition), but I headed make-up for the show instead. It worked out to be a good and fun show when we did it.

Warlock Odin
2010-09-03, 08:56 PM
I'm going for my second year of drama in college and I really enjoy acting (which is strange because I was a shy youth) my class performed An Inspector Calls for our exam. I played Aurthur Birling we also had to do monologues and I did an ethelred monologue (playing a villain is fun).

I went to Stratford recently and saw Julias Caesar performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company it was very good. I also saw an open air performance of The Tempest and ironically it rained heavily.

I was a passed out drug addict in my teachers project, that was awesome because the make-up girl made me look really far gone, and even though people knew I was in make-up they kept asking if I need orange juice or if i'm ok.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-03, 10:20 PM
That sounds like fun. :smallbiggrin: The theatre I've mainly done stuff with did the Hobbit once. I didn't get cast (which I didn't feel too bad about because it was a huge audition), but I headed make-up for the show instead. It worked out to be a good and fun show when we did it.

I hate make up, it's the worst part. I'm OK with the blush and lip stick and stuff, but eye liner. Oh my God. I can't do it. I keep blinking. I've had less expirienced make-up artist actually get up and leave when trying to apply it.

DeadManSleeping
2010-09-03, 10:25 PM
I've acted in a couple school plays (lead antagonist in the school musical! In first grade). Most of my acting is actually improv acting experience, done especially in my university's local Renaissance Faire, which I help put on. It's fun stuff. I highly recommend improv to anyone who can surpress the anxiety that comes with it.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-03, 10:28 PM
I hate make up, it's the worst part. I'm OK with the blush and lip stick and stuff, but eye liner. Oh my God. I can't do it. I keep blinking. I've had less expirienced make-up artist actually get up and leave when trying to apply it.

The make-up girls put me in such make-up for my Oberon part! It was insane. I had sparkly gold over my forehead, and my eyebrows were completely covered up.

Thufir
2010-09-03, 10:29 PM
I hate make up, it's the worst part. I'm OK with the blusher and lipstick and stuff, but eyeliner. Oh my God. I can't do it. I keep blinking. I've had less experienced make-up artists actually get up and leave when trying to apply it.

Bah. You just have to relax.
I rapidly got used to eyeliner and can now apply it myself if need be.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-03, 10:33 PM
Bah. You just have to relax.
I rapidly got used to eyeliner and can now apply it myself if need be.

Music Man, Tom Sawyer, Christmas Carol, Sideways Stories From Wayside School, East of the Sun West of the Moon, and Boxcar Children and I still cant relax.

Remmirath
2010-09-03, 11:19 PM

You must do make-up differently with your theatre. Eyeliner's not any part of the straight make-up I know (unless maybe you're going for a specific time period, but even so that'd be pretty rare). Just base, shadow, highlight, cheek colour and lip colour. :smallconfused:

While I end up heading up the make-up crew fairly frequently, the only kinds of make-up I actually like doing are things like scars, beards/moustaches, complex animal or out-there fantasy designs, that kind of thing. Sadly, most shows call only for straight make-up and maybe limited amounts of old age. Which is really pretty boring. I prefer lighting and directing on the crew side of things.

I hate eyeliner, too, though. I did have to have it for one show (when I was Morgan Le Fey), as well as mascara. I almost poked myself in the eye repeatedly with the mascara, but I'd done eyeliner before as part of animal make-up so I got it all right.

I don't think I ever got the frickin' mascara completely right without having to wipe smudges of it off.

The worst thing for me, usually, is the costume. Sometimes they're great and cool and comfortable - and sometimes... they just aren't. And I've tripped at least once every time they've made me wear a dress and/or high heels, though only once on stage (and that was in a blackout, so I don't think anyone noticed).

I've acted in a couple school plays (lead antagonist in the school musical! In first grade). Most of my acting is actually improv acting experience, done especially in my university's local Renaissance Faire, which I help put on. It's fun stuff. I highly recommend improv to anyone who can surpress the anxiety that comes with it.

That sounds like it must be really fun. I've done some improv, but for some reason I always have a lot of anxiety if I haven't rehearsed what I'm going to do and don't have a script.

Which is odd, because when you think about it roleplaying is basically quieter improv without the movement portion, and I have no problems with that. I guess it's probably the audience versus people you know thing.

Em Blackleaf
2010-09-03, 11:41 PM
Last Spring, I was in my high school's production of Sound of Music. I only had a very small part, but it was worth doing.

Right now, I'm in a drama class production of a long One-Act play called Snow Angel. For those of you who've heard of it, I play Ethel, a hyperactive teenage girl. So, myself, basically. :smalltongue: But she's the character I auditioned for and this is the first time I've gotten the part I auditioned for!

I love my "troupe" of "players" in drama at my school. They're the most talented high school actors and actresses I've ever seen. My director/instructor is the best director I've ever had. He's like a second dad, in the least weird way possible. :smalltongue:

This spring, we're doing Hairspray the musical. Which is absolutely the raunchiest thing we've ever done. But another school in the district got away with RENT, so I guess we can do Hairspray. :smalltongue:

I want to be Prudy Pingleton. I know on my off-nights (we're double casting it, which is rare for my drama teacher to do) I'll be ensemble and since Hairspray is such an ensemble-heavy show, I'll have fun. Everyone tells me it's such a small part, but Prudy is such a fun character to me.

I could go on and on about theater...

Oh, has anyone here read/heard of/used Respect for Acting by Uta Hagen? That book is my director's THEATER BIBLE (he took his copy to a signing of her newer book that came out recently-she signed it "Throw it out. -Uta Hagen"). He's having us read it and use it for in-class activities. But anyway, I think it's really interesting.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-09-04, 05:38 AM
I am an actor.

I do a lot, both in school and in amature dramatic societies and really enjoy it. Mainly I'm in musicals but I do plays as well. At school I did Theatre Studies at A-Level and got an A (my only A at A-Level and I'm going to do Chem at uni????) Acting is only a hobby, I don't want to go into it proffesionally.

Roles have included:
Tobias - Sweeney Todd
Dr. Stone - A Few Good Men
Malvolio - Twelfth Night
Ali Hakim - Oklahoma
Nicely Nicely Johnson - Guys and Dolls
Fagin - Oliver
Samuel - The Pirates of Penzance
Sir Percy Shorter - Habeas Corpus
Roderick Usher - The Fall of the House of Usher
The Wizard - The Wizard of Oz
Grandpa Potts - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
Montague - Romeo and Juliet
and many others...

Yeah, I's all great fun. What I do love, though, is Gilbert and Sullivan; shame I've only been in Pirates and Trial...

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-04, 08:07 AM
You must do make-up differently with your theatre. Eyeliner's not any part of the straight make-up I know (unless maybe you're going for a specific time period, but even so that'd be pretty rare). Just base, shadow, highlight, cheek colour and lip colour. :smallconfused:

Well, it may not be eyeliner, that's just what I call it. I'm not too knowledgeable about make up. All I know is that they put something on my eyes, and I can't stand it. It's so that when the lights are o you can still see the peoples eyes.

KenderWizard
2010-09-04, 09:11 AM
I used to do loads and loads of acting at primary school (up to age 12), and I loved it. I wanted to be an actress and to keep doing it forever. But my secondary school didn't hold with anything that wasn't a sport or, at a push, a music group, so there was no more drama for me, because my town didn't have a youth drama group either.

Since then, I joined a youth drama group, but then I had to give it up because I was trying to do too much in an exam year in school. I joined the Players society in my first year in college, and I auditioned, and I never went to look to see if I'd gotten in (I wasn't letting anyone down, the idea was you audition to see if you get into the big group that will then put together the play). I don't know why I didn't check, it was weird. I wanted to take up musical theatre this year, but I think I'm going to have to get a job instead... :smallfrown:

onthetown
2010-09-05, 01:29 PM
I was Mother Rabbit in a pre-school rendition of Peter Rabbit.

I enjoy watching theatre, though. I love going to see musicals.

Kinsmarck
2010-09-05, 04:00 PM
I've never actually acted in a play, though I have helped a couple of friends with independant films. Of course, just about everybody's been in some video-project or another throughout schooling, so I hardly count that.

Most of my acting is done at the gaming table. ^^ I'm apparently pretty good at improv, and can put on a fair menagerie of accents at will, which my players appreciated on more than one occasion, as I prefer to give each of my prominant NPCs unique voices and speech patterns. They don't like my Graz'zt voice. It apparently makes them feel powerless. I like my Graz'zt voice. :smallbiggrin:

Eadin
2010-09-05, 04:51 PM
I'm in my first year of uni, studying to hopefully become a dramathurgist (correct spelling?).
I've playing the Virgin Maria in a Christmas play in high school, a poor farmer in another school play.Oh, also the Green Absynte fairy :smallbiggrin:
This year, I'm gonna apply for a small role in a play they do at my uni, and do make-up. I wanted to last year, but was scared I wasn't good enough.

Lolzords
2010-09-05, 04:57 PM
Before the summer I played Brick Bergman in the Steven Berkoff play, Dahling you were marvellous. I had to put on Bronx accent for it, as well as put on an English accent.

Felt kind of strange faking my own accent while faking an american one. :smallconfused:

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-05, 07:22 PM
Before the summer I played Brick Bergman in the Steven Berkoff play, Dahling you were marvellous. I had to put on Bronx accent for it, as well as put on an English accent.

Felt kind of strange faking my own accent while faking an american one. :smallconfused:

I don't understand what you mean. :smallconfused:

CynicalAvocado
2010-09-05, 07:25 PM
i love to act... but i cant preform :smallfrown::smallfrown:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-05, 09:07 PM
My first and only acting part was playing caliban on an adaptation of the Tempest (the best part is that I got to curse at someone I don't like IRL:smallbiggrin:)

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-05, 09:11 PM
I don't understand what you mean. :smallconfused:

He's English. He naturally has an English accent. The character he was playing was American. So he had to put on an American accent. At one point in the play, the character puts on an English accent. So he has to put on an imitation of an American doing an English accent.

MartytheBioGuy
2010-09-06, 01:16 PM
I'm in two plays this fall at my college. It's stressful and exciting. I'm Sir Andrew Aguecheek in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night, and a storyteller in a children's play that is a collection of folktales!

Lolzords
2010-09-08, 06:09 AM
He's English. He naturally has an English accent. The character he was playing was American. So he had to put on an American accent. At one point in the play, the character puts on an English accent. So he has to put on an imitation of an American doing an English accent.

This. :smallbiggrin:

Mordaenor
2010-09-09, 11:36 AM
I'm directing a play that opens tomorrow night, actually.

Mordaenor
2010-09-09, 11:38 AM

I did that role back in March. Fun role, although it helped having an overly ridiculous Armado to play opposite.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-09-09, 12:54 PM
I'm directing a play that opens tomorrow night, actually.

Oh, do go on.

Mordaenor
2010-09-09, 01:17 PM
Yep, the play is entitled "Screwtape." Loosely based on C.S. Lewis's "The Screwtape Letters."

http://www.barleysheaf.org/Show.aspx/22/Screwtape

Deth Muncher
2010-09-09, 01:20 PM
I r n'actor, though I haven't in a while. Did musicals all through highschool, and school plays from elementary school onward, I think. Haven't done anything in college though.

MountainKing
2010-09-09, 01:45 PM
I took a couple acting classes in college (and kinda sorta dropped out when I couldn't afford to go into the theater program after taking so long to decide it was what I wanted to do), but I haven't had any actual roles since high school. They were:

Sheriff Reynolds (Bat Boy: The Musical)
"Chavez" the T-Bird (Grease; we who were unnamed T-Birds took to naming ourselves; I took Chavez, in homage to a similarly named person in Rogue Spear)
"The Newstand Man" (Pfeifer's (or Feifer's?) People; the script really bit dirt after the cuts made; I was one of three lucky people to manage to create a single role to cover multiple skits, and then get it approved)
Buffalo Bill Cody (Annie Get Your Gun!*)
Colonel Melkett (Black Comedy)
Leon Trotsky (All In The Timing)

I still have a tape of All In The Timing, and a DVD of Annie Get Your Gun, though the DVD we got screwed on; the taping was actually done from our worst night (which was, to our dismay, our opening night). Our next two nights (ESPECIALLY our closing night!) were far, FAR better, and we'd been assured that the better nights were being used... But no. It was the bad night. Lazy punk. :smallannoyed:

All In The Timing, however, we performed as dinner theater, and I personally think that, while I didn't get nominated for it like I did Buffalo Bill, my performance as a dying Leon Trotsky was my best, and my favorite. :smallsmile:

Tons of fun... I fully intend to get back into it.

Also, * - I was nominated for Best Male Lead, which sadly, I was totally outclassed in (one guy who'd done a positively stunning job during our competition show, and another who was the actual male lead in Annie Get Your Gun, and who was far more popular and influential than myself to boot. :smallfrown: Had I been nominated for, y'know, the appropriate category (I still say Buffalo Bill is a supporting role, not a lead role!), I'd have totally walked away with an award... that category was run by two freshmen (lol, one of them TWICE; we REALLY had a lack of good male freshman actors).

Mordaenor
2010-09-09, 01:51 PM
All In the Timing IS one of the greatest plays ever written. I was in the Philadelphia, but my personal favorite is Words, Words, Words.

VanBuren
2010-09-09, 08:15 PM
My university did Is He Dead? by Mark Twain/David Ives last Spring. That was fun.

MountainKing
2010-09-10, 10:52 AM
All In the Timing IS one of the greatest plays ever written. I was in the Philadelphia, but my personal favorite is Words, Words, Words.

Oh Lord, I loved that show so much. The two guys and the girl we had doing The Philadelphia did just... oh my God, they were amazing. I forget (I am ashamed!), is Words, Words, Words the one with the monkeys named after famous authors, or the one with the made up language? I personally liked the monkeys bit more than the made up language one, though the leads who did it made it very sweet and very well done.

Best part about being Leon Trotsky: the costume/makeup girls let me keep the axe. :smallcool: I still have it in my old theater box, along with some scripts and other nicknacks (like a pair of boxers from Grease, my Sheriff badge from Bat Boy, and my mustache from Annie Get your Gun! :smallbiggrin:).

Mordaenor
2010-09-10, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=MountainKing;9329041]Oh Lord, I loved that show so much. The two guys and the girl we had doing The Philadelphia did just... oh my God, they were amazing. I forget (I am ashamed!), is Words, Words, Words the one with the monkeys named after famous authors, or the one with the made up language? I personally liked the monkeys bit more than the made up language one, though the leads who did it made it very sweet and very well done.
QUOTE]

Words, Words, Words is the one with the monkeys trying to write "Hamlet" without knowing what it is. The made up language one is "The Universal Language"

In my top ten best lines ever:
"This is a condition named for the city which invented the cheesesteak, something no one in their right mind would ever willingly ask for."

MountainKing
2010-09-10, 03:38 PM
Words, Words, Words is the one with the monkeys trying to write "Hamlet" without knowing what it is. The made up language one is "The Universal Language"

In my top ten best lines ever:
"This is a condition named for the city which invented the cheesesteak, something no one in their right mind would ever willingly ask for."

Oh snap, I did remember rightly! Accursed uncertainty!

Doctor Acula
2010-09-21, 10:55 AM
I acted in highschool but now that I'm in college and not a theatre major I am finding it hard to break into the group.They actually say they want accents in their production of a christmas carol which supprises me because americans doing cockney just sounds stupid more often than not

Winthur
2010-09-21, 10:59 AM
I wanted once to be an actor. It was a dream, sort of. I would have watched tons of classic films and paid special attention to the actors. I would spin into monologues at inappropriate times. I participated in school plays, even though most of them were bad and didn't give me any satisfying role. I would participate in the class play of a fragment of Romeo & Julia. I would even, in fact, go for a role of a prosecutor in a trial inscenization simply to ham it up in a red suit while referencing Miles Edgeworth's character and mannerisms.

But I failed. It was all a failure when my mother threw said red suit away even though it was so perfect. It was all a failure when the scenario writer wrote it to give himself most of the hammy lines to get an additional grade for the so-called effort. It was all a failure when it involved me.

Acting is not for me, after all. Too much shyness and introvertion, even though I love to put on something convincing once in a while. But only to small groups of people. I'd hate to pull off something ridiculously stupid and then embarass myself in front of a huge public. Like I already did once... ...more than once.

Too disheartened to even try again.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-09-21, 11:22 AM
I've just signed up with the AmDram society at Uni :smallbiggrin:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-09-21, 08:45 PM
I acted in highschool but now that I'm in college and not a theatre major I am finding it hard to break into the group.They actually say they want accents in their production of a christmas carol which supprises me because americans doing cockney just sounds stupid more often than not

Why do they need to be Cockney? Other London accents are less difficult.

Doctor Acula
2010-09-22, 03:01 PM
I dunno, as I'm not a theater major I haven't actually talked to the directors yet

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-22, 04:05 PM
Why do they need to be Cockney? Other London accents are less difficult.

Who knows. The Trolls in the Hobbit are suppose to be Cockney, but we're changing it to "Kentucky redneck" according to the director.

VanBuren
2010-09-22, 05:50 PM

Which is probably why the director is going to get in contact with a dialect coach or some form of dialect training.

Dr.Epic
2010-09-22, 08:33 PM
The closest I've ever done to acting is playing table top RPGs and LARPing so I doubt me wanting to kill stuff for XP really qualifies as professional acting.

VanBuren
2010-09-22, 10:38 PM
The closest I've ever done to acting is playing table top RPGs and LARPing so I doubt me wanting to kill stuff for XP really qualifies as professional acting.

Trust me, a theatre background makes things a lot more fun when you finally clue the DM into your Xanatos Gambit while playing a Magnificently Bastardic Bard.

Dangerosly Genre Savvy? You have no idea.

MartytheBioGuy
2010-09-24, 03:51 PM
Hey, fellow actors! I'm performing Shakespeare's Twelfth Night tomorrow! :smalleek: Wish me luck!

btw, I'm Sir Andrew Aguecheek, in case anyone was wondering... :smalltongue:

VanBuren
2010-09-24, 04:52 PM
Wish me luck!

I will do no such thing. And I hope that anybody who does will perform the customary countermeasures*.

Break a leg, good sir, break a leg.

*Specifically, go out of the theatre, turn around 3 times, spit, curse, then knock on the door and ask to be readmitted to the theatre.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-30, 07:13 PM
So, I just got back from our Improv Night, and I never realized how much sexual innuendo goes on. Anybody else have this expirience (for lack of a bteer word)?

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-30, 07:15 PM
So, I just got back from our Improv Night, and I never realized how much sexual innuendo goes on. Anybody else have this expirience (for lack of a bteer word)?

Yup! Improv is all about wit, and, if you look at Shakespeare, wit is all about sex. Especially if you look at Shakespeare. Heh. Wit.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-30, 07:21 PM
Yup! Improv is all about wit, and, if you look at Shakespeare, wit is all about sex. Especially if you look at Shakespeare. Heh. Wit.

*rolles eyes*

I'm not sure all of it was witty.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-30, 07:22 PM
*rolles eyes*

I'm not sure all of it was witty.

Yeah, well PENIS jokes are easier than wit.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-30, 07:24 PM
Yeah, well PENIS jokes are easier than wit.

Yes. Yes they are. It doesn't help that one of the Improv scenarios was "The Hospital." That, and their is a (very blunt) gay in the acting "troop."

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-30, 07:31 PM
Yes. Yes they are. It doesn't help that one of the Improv scenarios was "The Hospital." That, and their is a (very blunt) gay in the acting "troop."

Troupe. And it could be worse. One of the scenarios could have been an awkward run-in at a brothel.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-30, 07:34 PM
We had a prompt that was: A man is going to take a girl to a restraunt to break up with her, the girl thinks he's proposing, and the waitress keeps hitting on the man.

VanBuren
2010-10-01, 02:09 AM
We had a prompt that was: A man is going to take a girl to a restraunt to break up with her, the girl thinks he's proposing, and the waitress keeps hitting on the man.

Honestly, I can see there being a lot of potential in that prompt. Some sexual humor is inevitable, but I hope there was more sophisticated humor?