PDA

View Full Version : (nWOD) Wyff-Man and Wo-Man

Sir Sanguine
2010-09-03, 07:58 PM
So in the New World of Darkness core book there's this creation story that tells how the three races of the world were created by the god-machine; First Children are angels, Second Children are demons, Third Children are humans. Then the humans rise up against the angels, killing all but seven (or nine, can't remember) of them. Four of the remaining angels curse the humans, one to condemn them to true death, one to make the animals fear them, one to make them forget the art of communicating with the god-machine, and the last one splits them into "wo-man and wyff-man, each imperfect and each forever seeking its opposite" (may not be an exact quote).

I love this story, especially the idea of the god-machine (who could be the Cosmic AC from the Last Question (http://www.multivax.com/last_question.html)!) and the curses of the angels. But I have a question: Wo-man, sure, but does anyone know where they got "wyff-man" from? Did they make it up entirely, or is it from some myth, and is it just a cipher for "male" or is it something cooler and less heteronormative?

My google skills fail me here.

Dhavaer
2010-09-03, 08:08 PM
Sounds like the old english prefix for 'male' back when 'man' was gender neutral only.

gomipile
2010-09-03, 08:17 PM
From http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=59519029200

"Woman, as a word, is not derived from 'man' meaning male. It is a derivative of the archaic wifman (or wyfman), literally "female man" compared to wereman (or werman) meaning "male man". Naturally, this explains shape-shifting creatures in old fantasy tales like were-boars. Also, wif/wyf evolved to the modern word wife.
Like so much of the archaic English language, the 'wif' from wifman simply changed; in this case, to 'wo' and the 'were' from wereman was dropped."

I've done some research, and I'm fairly sure the above is mostly or completely true. The reason I've quoted it is that it is the most eloquent description I could find.

Sir Sanguine
2010-09-03, 08:41 PM
So wo-man and wyff-man both mean "female human"? Did the WoD guys mess it up?

gomipile
2010-09-03, 08:46 PM

So it would seem.

Mando Knight
2010-09-03, 09:48 PM
Or nWOD female humans are all canonically lesbians. Take your pick.

gomipile
2010-09-03, 10:44 PM
Wouldn't that make all humans lesbians, then?

Zaq
2010-09-04, 12:48 AM

Pretty much. These people aren't really known for double-checking, well, anything.

The Glyphstone
2010-09-04, 12:57 AM
Their single-checking record reportedly isn't that great either...

Lord_Gareth
2010-09-04, 12:59 AM
That, and, y'know, the guy telling the story calls himself the Pain Prophet. His own checking might not be that great.

Zaq
2010-09-04, 01:00 AM
I was trying to be charitable, but I agree.

hewhosaysfish
2010-09-04, 11:02 AM
Perhaps they thought that if they referred to "wyff-man and were-man" then people would go "Were-man? Like a man that, on the full moon, turns into a man? :smallconfused:"