PDA

View Full Version : And You Thought The Pokemon Thread Was Missing, No? (PKMN THRD 6)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Deth Muncher
2010-09-03, 10:25 PM
Hey kids, it's time for the sixth Pokemon Thread In The Playground! At the time of this posting, it's 7 months until Black and White. Do YOU know what your starter will be? (Hint - you're not a real man if you don't use Smugleaf.)

Tabled Discussions:
Pokemon League in the Playground

Hey, these here? These are friend codes. For your friends. If you're not on here? It means you're not friendly. Also that for whatever reason they didn't get put here. If you're not here, just mention it whenever you can - don't PM me, though, since my box is almost full.
FRIEND CODES:

Legoshrimp: SoulSilver 1849 3954 2553; Diamond 2923 1445 3340.
Kobold Bard: HeartGold 4168 8792 1683.
Freako: SoulSilver 2966 0800 3851; Platinum 1333 4517 6347.
Jimp: SoulSilver 2407 7659 7056
tgva8889: Platinum 3438 0598 0009; SoulSilver 3052 0635 4414
Mattarias, King.: HeartGold 3524 4231 3529.
Linkavitch: HeartGold: 5027 8564 5267
SparkMandriller: Cart. Unknown 2277 4598 3685
B-Man: SoulSilver: 5371 4488 1062
goldfly: HeartGold: 0174 5615 7997
Deth Muncher: Platinum: 1162 2087 3138
Terry576: Diamond: 0174 5674 2515

Related to the friend codes is the IRC. I don't know what an IRC is, but it apparently is some sort of chatty thing? Use it when you want to trade with folks. It is below this sentence.

irc.quakenet.org/#pkmtrade

Also, the following members posses Action Replays, so you should totally hound them with illicit requests to summon foul Pokeymans from the Netherworld for you:
Kobold-Bard
ryzouken
Hunter Noventa
The Last Thread: Slowpoke announces latest Pokemon game: Yellow! (Pokemon Thread 4) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152203)

Helpful Links/Hints For Adventuring Ten Year Olds

Bulbapedia (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/)
Smogon (http://www.smogon.com/)
Metalkid's Damage Calculator (http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculatorrs/Damage.aspx)
Metalkid's IV Calculator (http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx)
Serebii (http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml)

Breeding For Dummies:

So, you're tired of navigating a Pokemon thread where everyone uses fancy words and stuff? Well no worries! Here's a guide on... BREEDING FOR DUMMIES!

The main thing to remember in breeding is that there are natures that help and ones that hinder. For instance, a Special Attacker such as Mewtwo would be hindered by an Adamant nature, but helped in his stat growth by a Modest nature.

Brilliant Spreadsheet for Growth (http://pokemon.marriland.com/statcalc_dp.php).

If you're breeding for IVs, again, refer to the above spreadsheet. If the stat is at it's maximum capability, (Which is usually between 6-8), then it has a 31 IV stat, which is useful. Unfortunately, if said stat is accompanied with a hindering nature, you'll probably have to use Base Stat Up items to fix that problem.

The main thing with breeding is Egg Moves. Egg moves are moves the parent has, and passes down to a child. For instance, in my breeding of Chimchar, the egg moves are Grass Knot and Swords Dance, which are passed down to the child who gets said moves from the start.

Another Note On Breeding:

You can RNG Abuse when breeding, via tapping the Day Care Checker App right as the game starts to load another area, as in right between Solaceon and Route 209, tap, and an egg will appear.

Things the Pokemon developers didn't tell you about but really should have!; Or, How to be better than everyone!

I figured I'd just go ahead and type this out so confused people can just read it instead of having to ask in the thread. I'm helpful like that. Oh yes.

Don't feel the need to bother with this stuff unless you're playing against humans or at the Battle Frontier. You shouldn't need it for most of the game, and it can be kind of a pain.

Individual Values
Every Pokemon species has its own base stats, as you probably know. Aerodactyl are very fast but have weak defences, Blissey have huge amounts of HP, Luvdisc are terrible at everything but speed, and so on. But, in addition to the normal stat allocation, every Pokemon gets a bonus of 0-31 points applied to each stat. So a level 100 Tyranitar could have an attack stat of 273, or it could have a attack of 304. That bonus is the IV.
A Pokemon has its IVs generated the moment you meet it, or accept its egg, and there's no way to change them. You're stuck with what you've got. However, you can influence them a little, if you're willing to breed. Bred Pokemon don't randomly generate all their IVs, they inherit up to 3 from their parents. Still doesn't help that much, especially if the parents have bad IVs, but what can you do? Typically you just end up hatching like a billion eggs until you get a good one.

Effort Values
Every time you win a fight, your Pokemon get experience, but that's not all they get. Every Pokemon also gives out effort points. For every 4 effort points in a particular stat, your Pokemon gains 1 point in it. So if that Tyranitar from earlier with 304 attack had 4 attack EVs, his actual attack would be 305. If he had 252 attack EVs, it'd be 367. Sounds handy, but there are limits. You can't have more than 255 points in a single stat, and you can't have more than 510 EVs in total.
You'll see a lot of Pokemon with 252 attack/special attack EVs, 252 speed, and 4 HP, but there are a lot of ways to configure them. Defensive Pokemon will obviously focus on different things, Pokemon which use both physical and special attacks will need to split EVs between them or possibly sacrifice speed, and so on.
It's a tremendous pain to work out what EVs your Pokemon has, so you'll likely want to start with a Pokemon that you freshly hatched and work from there, though you don't have to. There are 6 berries that reduce EVs in a single stat each, so you can use those to reset your Pokemon and start from scratch. After that, just keep a careful record of what you fight, and only take down Pokemon that you know give you the EVs you want.
EV training takes a while, but there are a few ways you can speed it up. The first is an astonishingly rare status condition called Pokerus. Any Pokemon with Pokerus gets double EVs from fights, and will spread the Pokerus to any Pokemon in your party for the first 72 hours after it catches it. After those 72 hours it stops being contagious, but still gets double EVs. Pokerus has something like 1/20000 chance to appear on wild Pokemon, but with the magic of the internet I'm sure you can obtain it.
The second way to speed up EV training is through Power Items. If a Pokemon is holding the right item, they get bonus EVs from every fight. For example, a Pokemon holding a Power Lens will get 4 special attack EVs. A Pokemon holding a Power Anklet will get 4 speed EVs. A Pokemon holding a Macho Brace will just get double the EVs of whatever they're fighting. These bonuses are doubled if you have pokerus.
The third way to speed up EVs is through vitamins. Each vitamin given to a Pokemon gives them +10 EVs in a certain stat, up to a limit of 100. 1 protein gives 10 attack EVs, 10 give 100. These unfortunately aren't doubled by pokerus or items, so you'll have to pay for the full amount. Luckily money is easy to come by in these games.

Just as an example, I'll show how I EV'd my Gengar.
First, I gave him 10 calcium, and 10 carbos, so 100 special attack and 100 speed already.
After that, I gave him pokerus and a lucky egg, got him to meet a Floatzel (2 speed EVs, doubled to 4 because of Pokerus), and then sent out my Weezing to explode on it so Gengar could get all the experience, for a higher level and 100 special attack, 104 speed.
After that, I gave him a Power Lens, flew over to the Old Chateau, and killed 15 Gastly (1 special attack from Gastly, 4 from the lens, doubled to 10 from pokerus) for 150 special attack EVs, bringing my total to 250 special attack, 104 speed.
After that I equipped a power anklet and killed one more Gastly (1 special attack from Gastly, 4 speed from the anklet, doubled to 2 and 8 from Pokerus), meaning Gengar had 252 attack, and 112 speed.
Leaving the anklet equipped, I flew to Route 201, and killed 14 Starly (1 speed from Starly, 4 from the anklet, meaning 10 speed per starly thanks to Pokerus), for a total of 252 attack, 252 speed.
All that was left after that was to kill a Bidoof with a Power Weight (1 HP from Bidoof, 4 from the Weight, 10 thanks to Pokerus, although I only gained 6 points because I hit the EV cap), leaving my Gengar with 252 special attack EVs, 252 Speed, and 4 HP, just how I wanted him.
Roughly an hour's work, and one Pokemon down.

tl;dr: The simplified version of EVs/IVs - EVs are gained by fighting other pokemon. They vary by the pokemon defeated. They increase your stats for every 4 gained. IVs are inherent to a pokemon. They increase stats for every point possessed, and range from 0 to 31. EVs have to be manually tracked or else removed entirely with certain berries. IVs can be checked by knowing the EVs of a pokemon and then plugging its stats into an IV calculator. The higher the pokemon's level, the more accurate; level 100 wifi battles provide maximum accuracy.

Thanks go to whoever I stole this from, for the useful summary - It was probably Spark Mandriller, but I don't remember. Claim credit, yo!

Goldfly
2010-09-03, 10:55 PM
I'm a real man. I'm using the king-lizard of all smugness.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-03, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure. I've NEVER used the grass starter, and I've only used the fire starter twice (Cyndaquil in Crystal and Chimchar in Platinum; I played Yellow so I got all 3 starters), and water's my favorite, but...

I'll have to take another look at Otter and Smugleaf when I know more about them.

AlterForm
2010-09-03, 11:21 PM
Hey kids, it's time for the sixth Pokemon Thread In The Playground! At the time of this posting, it's 7 months until Black and White. Do YOU know what your starter will be? (Hint - you're not a real man if you don't use Smugleaf.)

Hmmm...

(Large Image)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77851/KaminaTsutarja.jpg

(Also, that's totally my EV/IV summary.)

Wandiya
2010-09-03, 11:27 PM
Link to old thread goes to thread 4 not thread 5 :smallbiggrin:, back to lurking.

tgva8889
2010-09-03, 11:47 PM
I'll probably pick the Fire starter, unless I'm playing the one with the Fire Dragon, in which case no idea.

Deth Muncher
2010-09-03, 11:54 PM
Link to old thread goes to thread 4 not thread 5 :smallbiggrin:, back to lurking.

Rarglebarglegetouttahere.

Mc. Lovin'
2010-09-04, 04:54 AM
Oh look those starters we thought were fake turned out to be real again. Who'd have thought it, I did think the water one was too much of a change between stages 2 and 3

Level8Mudcrab
2010-09-04, 06:15 AM
Fire or Grass starter for me.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-04, 07:13 AM
Aw jeez, now I really can't decide between grass and water. The second and final evolutions of ShellOtter are actually pretty cool.

SparkMandriller
2010-09-04, 07:34 AM
Where's the confirmation that the final forms are real? I'm too lazy to go looking much.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-04, 07:35 AM
So the Serebii pics were real?

:smallfrown:

I really wanted Pignition to have good evolutions.

Dragero
2010-09-04, 07:41 AM
Those Can`t be real.....those where Ryperoir, Dialgia, and Milotic......

Qwertystop
2010-09-04, 08:18 AM
The starters (smugleaf, pignition, and whatever-the-water-thing-is-called)(yes thats what I will call it, not a statement of ignorance) seem to have the same problem as Mudkip (and a few others) in my opinion. That problem is that the 2 stages are very similar, and one is completely different.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-04, 08:21 AM
Well, Serebii is now saying they're PRETTY SURE they're real. I really hate the water starter. I may have to choose Sugleaf just so my rival won't have Mijumar. Sre Mijumar is sort of cute, but his evolutions look dumber and dumber (assuming they are real). And I don't even (really) like Smugleaf.

So much for me avoiding all the coverage of B&W posssible. Must not get on Serebii once it's been released in Japan.

Linkavitch
2010-09-04, 08:59 AM
IF those are real (and I'm kinda hoping they're NOT) I'll prolly take the Water starter. Smugleaf looks cool, but grass kinda sucks, and Firepig looks HORRIBLE.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-09-04, 09:03 AM
(Hint - you're not a real man if you don't use Smugleaf.)

Back in my day, we didn't have no ''Smugleaf''!
Back then they atleast used to pretend to not twist words to make pokeman names! I mean, ''smug-leaf''? Com'on!

I'l just stick with my Ekans! Now get off mah lawn! *waves pokeball*

Deme
2010-09-04, 09:32 AM
I actually like the water starter, and really like its second stage... Third stage confuses me a lot.

But Smugleaf is very cool, too, and gets massively cooler-looking at stage 3.

Pignition evolutions (I actually kinda think Pignition is cute, if completely unrelated to its element)... epic fail. It takes everything even slightly enjoyable about the Pignition design (the cute little piglet aspects) and RUINS THEM. FOREVER. If I want to raise a fire pig, I want the evolution to be some sort of fire boar with flaming tusks or somesuch! Not some sort of pig weightlifter!

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-04, 09:41 AM

Pignition evolutions (I actually kinda think Pignition is cute, if completely unrelated to its element)... epic fail. It takes everything even slightly enjoyable about the Pignition design (the cute little piglet aspects) and RUINS THEM. FOREVER. If I want to raise a fire pig, I want the evolution to be some sort of fire boar with flaming tusks or somesuch! Not some sort of pig weightlifter!

Finally someone gets it!!!!

Dragero
2010-09-04, 09:51 AM
This is my approuch to the new Evos:

Not real Untill Confirmed!!

Ryperior + Magmortar + Pig`s artstyle is TOTALY different than Pignition`s. Same for the Narwhal-Dialgia thing. Less so for Smugleaf.....

blade5468
2010-09-04, 10:01 AM
Back in my day, we didn't have no ''Smugleaf''!
Back then they atleast used to pretend to not twist words to make pokeman names! I mean, ''smug-leaf''? Com'on!

I'l just stick with my Ekans! Now get off mah lawn! *waves pokeball*

I made this entire account just to say this to you:

Rapid-dash.

Bee-drill.

Sand-shrew.

Weepin'-bell.

Volt-orb.

So don't give me that bull**** :X

Hunter Noventa
2010-09-04, 10:01 AM
I really really hope those are fake, because the only one of them I can stand is Smugleaf.

Mando Knight
2010-09-04, 11:16 AM
Rapid-dash.

Bee-drill.

Sand-shrew.

Weepin'-bell.

Volt-orb.
The whole friggin' 'dex. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AWorldwidePunomenon)
Bulbasaur. Ivysaur. Venusaur. Charmander. Charmeleon. Charizard. Squirtle. Wartortle. Blastoise.

Further down we've got Pidgey, Spearow, Geodude, Gastly, Ekans...

I really really hope those are fake, because the only one of them I can stand is Smugleaf.
They are. Don't worry.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-04, 11:22 AM

They are. Don't worry.

As much as I hate the other two and this news makes me very happy, I do feel bad for Smugleaf, whatever the designers come up with won't be nearly as awesome as that snake.

Mc. Lovin'
2010-09-04, 11:24 AM
http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml says they aint

Mando Knight
2010-09-04, 11:25 AM
As much as I hate the other two and this news makes me very happy, I do feel bad for Smugleaf, whatever the designers come up with won't be nearly as awesome as that snake.

Unless, of course, they come up with some God-Emperor Leafy Lizard of Heaven-Piercing Smugness.

Raistlin1040
2010-09-04, 11:28 AM
I hope they're real actually, because I love Smugleaf's, Wotter's looks absurd, but maybe it'll be cool, and Pignition's looks a bit silly. Better than the Sinnoh guys in terms of sheer awesome, with SmugSnakeLeaf though.

Terry576
2010-09-04, 03:08 PM
Hey you guys!

Here's the most awesome wi-fi battle ever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye7b3bOQ6lY)

Caustic Soda
2010-09-04, 03:49 PM
Wow, I really don't care for the artstyle on the new pokémon. I already thought that Magmortar, Electivire, Magnezone and the other new gen-4 evelutions looked ridiculous, but Wrestler-Pig takes the cake :smallsigh:.

At least Smugleaf and its evolutions look decent.

the thing that annoys me the most is that I can put my finger on what, exactly, it is that bothers me about what bothers me about many of the gen 4 and 5 pokémon. The new water starter and it's evolutions look nothing alike, but that isn't what annoys me. they seem somehow more 'cartoony' and unreal, even though old pokémon like Charizard and aren't exactly realistic in the first place :smallconfused:.

I like what they're doing with the background graphics, though. It's nice to have pokémon games that don't look like something drawn in half a day by a bored 12-year-old.

Goldfly
2010-09-04, 03:59 PM
Hey you guys!

Here's the most awesome wi-fi battle ever. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye7b3bOQ6lY)

I love that battle. Still as good as the last time I saw it.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-04, 04:31 PM
Can somebody inform me of the difference between soul silver and just normal pokemon silver? Just curious whether I should save up and possibly buy it or just stick with the one I have.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-04, 04:35 PM
Soul Silver is a gazillion times better. Better graphics, more story, more places, you can get all 493 pokemon, rebattle the E4 and Gym Leaders again, YOUR POKEMON FOLLOW YOU. GET IT!!!

Also, I hope that Black/White will be good despite my initial misconceptions, like it was with Spirit Tracks.

(Initial thought: Zelda with trains? 1 Hour Later: Nintendo, I am never doubting you again.)

Cute_Riolu
2010-09-04, 04:46 PM
(Initial thought: Zelda with trains? 1 Hour Later: Nintendo, I am never doubting you again.)

Nintendo's kind of like that.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-04, 04:53 PM
It's basically the mechanics of platinum covered in the sexy, sexy paintwork of Gold/Silver/Crystal. And then they added a load of awesome stuff.

It's good.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-04, 04:56 PM
Soul Silver is a gazillion times better. Better graphics, more story, more places, you can get all 493 pokemon, rebattle the E4 and Gym Leaders again, YOUR POKEMON FOLLOW YOU. GET IT!!!

Okay, thank you for the info. I should have it by December 25th.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-04, 09:03 PM
Also, I hope that Black/White will be good despite my initial misconceptions, like it was with Spirit Tracks.

:/

Misconceptions? What of? Black and White looks 10x more promising then well, I don't know. It jst looks very promising IMO.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-05, 11:47 AM
So today I learned the pokewalker is much less efficient when you're cycling. Riding for 17 miles should give me a LOT more than 4000 steps.

Terry576
2010-09-05, 12:20 PM
ATTENTION ALL:

My Soul Silver just DIED. Like, totally.

Now I'm gonna go back to my Dad's house, and ask if he can buy Shiny Gold off the internets.

It's not like it's expensive. It's like 10 bucks.

And then buy myself a copy of Soul Silver.

Dr. Bath
2010-09-05, 12:42 PM
So today I learned the pokewalker is much less efficient when you're cycling. Riding for 17 miles should give me a LOT more than 4000 steps.

Well cycling doesn't produce the right up-down motion. It ends up being a more circular motion which the pedometer doesn't pick up.

Anyone else here nuzlocking or equivalent?

So many of my pokemans have died. So many. Also destiny bond can go straight to hell.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-05, 12:45 PM
Well cycling doesn't produce the right up-down motion. It ends up being a more circular motion which the pedometer doesn't pick up.

So many of my pokemans have died. So many. Also destiny bond can go straight to hell.

I tried, but got fed up of training to beat Faulkner. So I battled him with a team of level 13s and his friggin' Pigeotto crit killed my shiny Cyndaquil as well as my two other best mons, then proceeded to melt my team. So I quit.

Dr. Bath
2010-09-05, 12:55 PM
Aaah. I'm playing FireRed. And picked bulbasaur so the beginning wasn't too bad. A shiny though? A natural one? Crazy.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-05, 01:08 PM
Aaah. I'm playing FireRed. And picked bulbasaur so the beginning wasn't too bad. A shiny though? A natural one? Crazy.

Awesome. Congratulations!

Dr. Bath
2010-09-05, 01:37 PM
Oh, no the bulbasaur wasn't shiny (though the first thing I found on route... 3? was a shiny spearow though (with a good nature!). Lucky. As. Hell. I quickly ported it to SS) It was a female bulbasaur though. Which was pretty cool. Also I got a female eevee. A very lucky nuzlocke really...

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-05, 01:44 PM

Yeah, that Shiny Cyndaquil is my pride and joy. Took just over 2 hours of soft resetting to get, which apparently is like lightning. I properly freaked out when I saw it :smallbiggrin:

Terry576
2010-09-05, 03:14 PM
Yeah, that Shiny Cyndaquil is my pride and joy. Took just over 2 hours of soft resetting to get, which apparently is like lightning. I properly freaked out when I saw it :smallbiggrin:

Oh Kobold. I've got a problem.

I need another Celebi and Mew, cause my SS broke entirely. :smallfrown:

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-05, 03:19 PM
Oh Kobold. I've got a problem.

I need another Celebi and Mew, cause my SS broke entirely. :smallfrown:

Then you do have a problem because the asshats at PCWorld repairs didn't plug my fan back in after they fixed the screen so I had to and it off to them again. As such I am unable to make them atm.

awesomessake
2010-09-05, 03:33 PM
I got bored.

http://a.imageshack.us/img255/5120/motivator85a8aa24b850b2.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img251/7882/motivator7308ffa90806f0.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img85/9083/motivatora72a00e003b3d0.jpg

Terry576
2010-09-05, 03:39 PM
Then you do have a problem because the asshats at PCWorld repairs didn't plug my fan back in after they fixed the screen so I had to and it off to them again. As such I am unable to make them atm.

Me and my friends laughed our heads off at the Celebi event.

"Wow, Celebi traveled through time! I think it used the mystic power called... Time Travel!"

"We traveled through time... Literally!"

SKarious
2010-09-05, 04:13 PM
"Also destiny bond can go straight to hell."

Darn straight it can!
Be warned: the battle tower will not accept DB as a winning move. No matter if you or the CPU do it, you're considered a loser.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-09-05, 04:47 PM

I am, yeah. LeafGreen, right outside the Elite 4... and Darwin the Vaporeon died while grinding. :smallfrown:

I'm training up the rest of the team, then training Beedrill to replace Darwin... I promised I'd take her through if there was a spare spot.

Goldfly
2010-09-05, 06:53 PM

Really? I've only lost three on my Plat run; a Houndoom, Shinx and Wormadam.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-06, 03:22 AM

Showoff :smallamused:

tgva8889
2010-09-06, 04:35 AM
I feel like a Nuzlocke run could be cheated simply by over-leveling if you really wanted.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-06, 05:43 AM
I feel like a Nuzlocke run could be cheated simply by over-leveling if you really wanted.

Then set a limit or something. It's like LARPing, it only works on the basis that everyone is playing within the spirit of the rules.

Dragero
2010-09-06, 06:51 AM
Hey guys, I think I`ve figured out my NEW HG team (Old one that I first beat the E4 with sucked) So how does this look?

Charizard
Gengar/Garchomp (Same as below)
Dragonite
Kabutops
Alkazam/Claydol (Which is generaly better?)
Walrein/Ampharos/Wailord (Interchangable)

Dr. Bath
2010-09-06, 09:09 AM

Well you've been lucky then. Most of mine have died whilst levelling up to replace something that died earlier or to ridiculous chance. Or to destiny bonds. :smallfurious: So annoying.

God ***** ******* ******* Gary Oak **** ******* *****. Three critical Psychics in a row. THREE. Unsurprisingly I lost two (8 levels lower than his Alakazam) pokemon to that. Including the first thing I caught, a Fearow.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-09-06, 11:14 AM
I feel like a Nuzlocke normal run could be cheated simply by over-leveling if you really wanted.

And nothing was changed. :smalltongue:

More seriously, if that's the way you want to go about it, nothing's stopping you. Just don't expect much respect when you tell people you beat your LeafGreen Nuzlocke run with a team Level 62-68.

Nuzlocke runs are partially so widespread because (almost) nobody acts like the rules are rigid and unchanging. Whenever someone posts them, it's almost always added at the end "but there are tons of variations such as x, y, and z, and everyone plays their own way." Even the core rules are up to some argument (does one Pokemon per route count on the routes you have to travel through before getting PokeBalls? What about gift Pokemon? Do eggs count from where they hatch or where you get them?).

Caustic Soda
2010-09-06, 02:36 PM
Hey guys, I think I`ve figured out my NEW HG team (Old one that I first beat the E4 with sucked) So how does this look?

Charizard
Gengar/Garchomp (Same as below)
Dragonite
Kabutops
Alkazam/Claydol (Which is generaly better?)
Walrein/Ampharos/Wailord (Interchangable)

Well, most of the pokémon you're considering have good enough base stats and move sets to belong to the Overused/Standard level of competitive play, which means they're quite powerful but not to the level of things like Mewtwo.

Walrein, Ampharos and Wailord, aren't quite up to the mark, compared to the rest, but I've had no problems using them in-game myself, mainly because the AI is rather limited, strategy-wise.

Kabutops can learn Waterfall, so you already have a powerful water attack there. if you don't particularly feel a need to have both Special and physical water moves, you may as well go with Ampharos.

Alakazam is quite powerful, although the elemental punches are no longer nearly as useful as they were before gen. 4. Both Alakazam and Gengar tend to be glass cannons, though, so if you pick one you may not want to pick the other. Claydol is rather weak on offense, but it's can be used for support by throwing up Reflect/L screen and Stealth Rock. Water is a very common element, though, so Claydol may not be as effective defensively as its stats might indicate.

Garchomp is powerful enough that competetive play recently moved it up to the Über tier, which is just what it sounds like. It is almost as strong offensively as an Alakazam, and much more sturdy. In fact, a Garchomp with the right IVs can survive an Ice Beam, despite the *4 weakness. On top of that, ground and dragon attacks can give it same-type bonuses at no resistance against every pokémon except Skarmory.

In the end, it comes down to how much of a challenge you want. Any variant of your team should be able to take on the E4. If you field Garchomp and/or IV train your pokémon, it gets even easier.

Terry576
2010-09-06, 02:51 PM
And nothing was changed. :smalltongue:

More seriously, if that's the way you want to go about it, nothing's stopping you. Just don't expect much respect when you tell people you beat your LeafGreen Nuzlocke run with a team Level 62-68.

Nuzlocke runs are partially so widespread because (almost) nobody acts like the rules are rigid and unchanging. Whenever someone posts them, it's almost always added at the end "but there are tons of variations such as x, y, and z, and everyone plays their own way." Even the core rules are up to some argument (does one Pokemon per route count on the routes you have to travel through before getting PokeBalls? What about gift Pokemon? Do eggs count from where they hatch or where you get them?).

I'm doing a normal run of Shiny Gold X.

My god, that Slowpoke in the beginning is evil.

Dragero
2010-09-06, 05:52 PM
Thanks. I knew Garchomp was great, thats why I traded away my Solrock for it.

I`ll stick with Alakazam, and might keep Wailren, but now that I know Kabutops can learn waterfall, I no long realy need the water guys.....

So now I have 1 or 2 open slots.....

Lets see who I`ve got in reserve.....

Lairon (Could Evo it soon)
Seadra (But nobody to trade with)
Dustox
Togekiss
Nosepass
Medicham

Ohhhhh....Found my old Metagross on Emerald! Transfering that in now....

Which of these guys do you think I should add to round out my team? I`m removing Amphados and friends, and Claydol/Gengar.

Terry576
2010-09-06, 06:13 PM
Alright guys. Wanna hate my friend?

Cause I hate him. So does my other friend who plays pokemon. (She's collecting Unowns right now.)

Here's what he's got:

Latios
Latias
All The Regis
6 Birds
3 Dogs
Lugia
SHINY Ho-oh

Now onto the true hatred!

SHINY Metagross
6 SHINY Beldums
SHINY Scizor
SHINY Tyranitar
SHINY Garchomp

:smallfurious:

So much rage.

So much.

Raistlin1040
2010-09-06, 06:32 PM
Well how did he get them? Did he breed for hours, or use the Pokeradar, or soft-reset?

Terry576
2010-09-06, 06:33 PM
Well how did he get them? Did he breed for hours, or use the Pokeradar, or soft-reset?

He breeds for hours.

And I hate him for it a lot.

Raistlin1040
2010-09-06, 06:35 PM
Feh. He can keep his shiny T-tar. Mine is Adamant and has a 28 Attack IV. Breeding for hours to get a shiny would make me cry, because I'd end up either A) Not getting the right nature/IVs with my shiny or B) breeding for two correctly-natured pokemon, sticking Everstones on them, and then still not getting the right nature/IVs on my shiny.

I have never had a shiny that wasn't the Red Gyrados. Even my ex-girlfriend got lucky in her copy of HeartGold and stumbled across a wild Shiny Golbat, after playing Pokemon for two months. I've been playing for like 10 years and have come across a shiny one time, in my copy of Silver, and I freaked out and turned it off because I thought my game was broken.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-06, 07:05 PM
Is there a good spot for level grinding in Pokemon blue? I'm trying to get a Dragonite but it's going to take forever. I just got past pokemon tower and my Dragonair has 21 levels to go.

Dragero
2010-09-06, 07:48 PM
I`m pretty sure, before I knew what a shiny was, I found a shiny Machop. I caught it because I thought my game gliched and messed up his colors. He sat in my Box for a few months before I traded him (And the game) for a Razer Deathadder (Gaming mouse)

Now I realy want my machop back......but I`m sure he`s gone by now, Traded to some guy, or just deleted.

At least I got a good mouse.....

Hunter Noventa
2010-09-06, 10:03 PM
Shiny Metagross...if I had a Japanese ditto i would totally breed mine for hours to get a shiny Metagross...and name it Trombe...

Partof1
2010-09-06, 10:37 PM
I have a shiny tangrowth, shiny arbok, accidently killed a shiny golduck, and I believe I have one more shiny something, caught recently.

My first encounter with a shiny outside the Red gyarados, was a gold raticate back in crystal.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-07, 02:00 AM
Re: Seadra.

I believe if a pokemon needs to trade to evolve you can put itbon the GTS (wanting something like a level 100 Lugia so that no one accidentally takes it), turn your game off and on again, and if you go back and reclaim it it should evolve. Doing this adds them to your pokedex if they weren't already (as with Pokesavd pokemon), and I believe I saw this work.

Caustic Soda
2010-09-07, 02:33 AM
So now I have 1 or 2 open slots.....

Lets see who I`ve got in reserve.....

Lairon (Could Evo it soon)
Seadra (But nobody to trade with)
Dustox
Togekiss
Nosepass
Medicham

Ohhhhh....Found my old Metagross on Emerald! Transfering that in now....

Which of these guys do you think I should add to round out my team? I`m removing Amphados and friends, and Claydol/Gengar.

If you're going for sheer power, Metagross is a fine choice. Does your Togekiss have Serene Grace? If so, slapping on Aair slash, a paralyzing move, and something to heal is effective enough to be used in standard competetive play. Personally, I'd find endless flinching viscerally satisfying, especially if I didn't have to feel bad over doing it to a human.

I have some more suggestions, but they'll have to wait, because I need to get going for Uni now.

Hunter Noventa
2010-09-07, 06:00 AM
Re: Seadra.

I believe if a pokemon needs to trade to evolve you can put itbon the GTS (wanting something like a level 100 Lugia so that no one accidentally takes it), turn your game off and on again, and if you go back and reclaim it it should evolve. Doing this adds them to your pokedex if they weren't already (as with Pokesavd pokemon), and I believe I saw this work.

First, ask for something even more impossible, like a level 1 Metagross. And you can also complete a normal trade and then reclaim it to get it to evolve.

Caustic Soda
2010-09-07, 07:48 AM
@Drager0:

Medicham is kinda slow, but if you combine Substitute and Bulk Up then it can get some excellent attack going. If you have Heart Scales, you can use the Move relearner to give it elemental punches for better type coverage. Assuming you don't want to go with the STAB of Psycho Cut/ Some fighting move.

If you can get your Nosepass evolved, it can make ofor a rather decent wall. It doesn't have anything to prevent opponents to 'set up' using Swords Dance or the like, but that's not as prevalent in-game, IIRC.

If the evolution trick Kobold-Bard suggested works, Kingdra is a balanced pokémon with only one weakness, Dragon-type. it can learn Dragon Dance + Waterfall, and while it won't sweep as easily as a Gyarados, it doesn't have the huge weakness to electricity, either.

boj0
2010-09-07, 10:05 AM
Kingdra is at his peak in a Rain Dance team, the Double Dance (Rain Dance + Dragon Dance) set up lets you wreck teams without an Empoleon or Skarmory.
Pass him a Substitute for extra lulz

SKarious
2010-09-07, 10:37 AM
First, ask for something even more impossible, like a level 1 Metagross. And you can also complete a normal trade and then reclaim it to get it to evolve.

So, why do people on the GTS ask for impossible trades for pokemon that don't evolve by trade?
(For example: level 1 Aipom for a level 5 mew)

The Dark Fiddler
2010-09-07, 02:34 PM
So, why do people on the GTS ask for impossible trades for pokemon that don't evolve by trade?
(For example: level 1 Aipom for a level 5 mew)

Cause they're trolling asses/idiots who think they'll actually get it.

Dragero
2010-09-07, 04:12 PM
Ok, that is awsome! Now I'm off to Evolve all my trade evolve pokemon!

King(Queen?)dra is in....

Nosepass Evolves? At what level? I don't remeber this from Saphire.....

And metagross finishes the team up.....I love my Medicham but.....she does kinda suck.

Also, why are Dittos from Japan wanted so badly? Exotic Flare?

Hunter Noventa
2010-09-07, 04:32 PM

Breeding with a mon from a foreign country increases your chances of getting a shiny.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-07, 04:34 PM

Masuda Method (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Masuda_method) means 2 pokemon of different language origins increase the likelihood of getting Shiny offspring from ~8000 to ~2000.

Japanese because they produce the most pokemon available for trade. Ditto because it can breed with most things, so is multi purpose.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-09-07, 05:03 PM
Nosepass Evolves? At what level? I don't remeber this from Saphire.....

When you level it up on Mt. Coronet.

Dragero
2010-09-07, 05:25 PM
Hmmm I see.

Is there any place in HG where I can evolve my Nosepass?

Raistlin1040
2010-09-07, 05:43 PM
No .

Hunter Noventa
2010-09-07, 06:18 PM
Hmmm I see.

Is there any place in HG where I can evolve my Nosepass?

To get more elaborate, You have to trade the following to Diamond, Pearl, or Platinum to evolve them-

Magneton to Magnezone, level at Mt Coronet.
Nosepass to Probopass, level at Mt Coronet.
Eevee to Glaceon, level near the Ice Rock near Snowpoint.
Eevee to Leafeon, level near mossy rock in Eterna Forest.

tgva8889
2010-09-07, 08:42 PM

I can totally imagine a griefer who hacks those Pokemon just to wreck with people attempting this trick.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-07, 10:50 PM
Okay, different question. In my game of pokemon silver (gameboy version. Not DS), at the Pokemon daycare, with the pokemon I'm trying to breed, it says "This pokemon is brimming with energy"

what exactly does that mean? And how long does it take for two pokemon to breed?

Nate the Snake
2010-09-07, 11:25 PM
Okay, different question. In my game of pokemon silver (gameboy version. Not DS), at the Pokemon daycare, with the pokemon I'm trying to breed, it says "This pokemon is brimming with energy"

what exactly does that mean? And how long does it take for two pokemon to breed?

It means that the two Pokemon in the daycare are related to each other. Early games didn't let you inbreed.

As for the time it takes, in my experience it's "until the random number generator feels like it."

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-09, 06:12 PM
B&W has a 40/40 on Fanmitsu, better than HGSS. We "know" it'll be good now :smallbiggrin:

Setra
2010-09-11, 09:40 AM
Random question:
In Fire Red, who would you consider more difficult/annoying to catch; Mewtwo, or Suicune?

I've got one Master Ball... but the thought of trying to catch either with just Ultra Balls makes me sad inside.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-09-11, 09:54 AM
Random question:
In Fire Red, who would you consider more difficult/annoying to catch; Mewtwo, or Suicune?

I've got one Master Ball... but the thought of trying to catch either with just Ultra Balls makes me sad inside.

Suicune runs, right? I'd say him, just because of how much time it could possibly take for you to track him down only to have him run away.

While asleep.

Anyway, Corocoro leak, supposedly. I'm happy with these, even though it seems the rumored starter evos are real (I just thought Wotter's didn't fit that well, but oh well), and that Pokabu is apparently... Fire/Fighting again.

You know why? Two reasons. First off, this dude:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg41/The_Dark_Fiddler/Bufafro.jpg

Buffafro, and he actually has a move that uses that afro.

And secondly, these dudes:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg41/The_Dark_Fiddler/hearnoseenospeaknopokemon.jpg

Not only does the Water-type have a move that can burn (Boiling Water or something like that), their tails seem to be a heart, spade, and club, and they seem to fit the See no Evil (water) Hear no Evil (Fire) Speak no Evil (Grass? Largest stretch of them all). This means: monkey team is quite possible now, as is a Midnight Crew-themed team (from MS Paint Adventures, for those who do not know), especially if there's a fourth, diamond one. Why would there be?

Sometimes there is a fourth monkey depicted with the three others; the last one, Shizaru, symbolizes the principle of "do no evil". He may be shown crossing his arms.

Plus, there's a Sadfish replacement in Madfish.

Overall, I'm happy. How about you? (http://pokebeach.com/2010/09/september-corocoro-apparently-leaking)

Setra
2010-09-11, 10:23 AM
Suicune runs, right? I'd say him, just because of how much time it could possibly take for you to track him down only to have him run away.

While asleep.
Suicune runs, but Mewtwo heals.

Suicune at 1HP while asleep, using Ultra balls would be... about 8% 4.5%. But she'd also stay at 1HP, and stay asleep.

I could get down to Mewtwo, but getting him down to red and asleep while he can heal and then throwing an ultra ball (where he then wakes up and heals..) well, I can see either one taking an annoyingly long amount of time.
I miss missingno and his infinite master balls
Kinda wish I had Quick Balls for the gerbil... or Dusk Balls for Mewtwo. Here's hoping Gen 5 releases a pokeball that does like 5x on pokemon with a catch rate 30 or below.

Edit: Catching Mewtwo wasn't as hard as I had been expecting... probably a combination of nostalgia remembering him much stronger, and overestimating the AI. Only took an hour and a half. Now for the Legendary Gerbil.

SparkMandriller
2010-09-11, 10:28 AM
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/5584/deathk.jpg

Deathkhan was practically made to be a reaction.jpg, wasn't he?

Dragero
2010-09-11, 10:42 AM
THE EVOLUTIONS ARE NOT REAL!!!!!!RAGEEE!!!!!!!

And if they are, I`ll release all my shinys!

Mando Knight
2010-09-11, 10:45 AM
THE EVOLUTIONS ARE NOT REAL!!!!!!RAGEEE!!!!!!!

And if they are, I`ll release all my shinys!

The first forms are. And SmugLeaf's smugger self taunts you for it.

Dragero
2010-09-11, 12:38 PM
Hmm the Corocoro leaks only show the 1st forms and the 2nd forms..... I pray that the 3rd forms aren't real.

John Cribati
2010-09-11, 12:43 PM
Random question:

Master Ball for Suicune. buy 198 Timer Balls and go after Mewtwo. It's what I did.

Mando Knight
2010-09-11, 01:03 PM
Master Ball for Suicune. buy 198 Timer Balls and go after Mewtwo. It's what I did.

On the other hand, FR/LG-caught gerbils have horrible IVs due to a bug. All of them.

Partof1
2010-09-11, 01:12 PM
I think I'm weird with these games. I don't like training legendaries, with few exceptions.

It doesn't seem right to me. I will wrangle these monsters, but they usually just sit in a box.

I guess I like knowing I raised my 'mons up from mere pests, into elemental demigods of war.

In a way, I'm kinda sadistic, in that I make my 'mons happy, but they know they need me, and in making them powerful, they owe me eternal subservience. Muahahahahaa!

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-11, 01:51 PM
Hmm the Corocoro leaks only show the 1st forms and the 2nd forms..... I pray that the 3rd forms aren't real.

If the 2nd are, then why wouldn't the 3rd? Though I do agree.

Qwertystop
2010-09-11, 02:00 PM
This is little more than wild hopes, but has anyone hoped for a pokemon that is an advanced ditto? My thought is that it would be hatched when 2 ditto breed, and one holds a special item or maybe eggs of this hatch Ditto (like how Manaphy eggs hatch Phione). It would learn things like Mimic, Copycat, Sketch, and Transform. Does anyone else think this would be cool?

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-11, 02:02 PM
How about an ability/item that let's Ditto automatically Transform into it's opponent when it enters the battle 50% of the time or something.

Terazul
2010-09-11, 02:06 PM
Speaking of Legendaries, looks like we're finally getting a Pure Flying Type in B/W. ALSO SO MANY FIGHTING LEGENDARIES YESSSSS... and a Dragon/Ice Leg. Ugh.

Hunter Noventa
2010-09-11, 05:51 PM
I'm rather disappointed at the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row. That's just sad.

Terazul
2010-09-11, 06:26 PM
I'm rather disappointed at the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row. That's just sad.

Yeah. As much as I love fighting, they really gotta give it a break with the starters.

Mc. Lovin'
2010-09-11, 06:38 PM
Yeah I was looking forward to Fire/Dark. Even though that doesn't sound like a great typing it was what I was expecting from it

Setra
2010-09-11, 07:26 PM
It only took me about 100 Ultra balls, over the course of several save/reloads. Amusingly on the actual load that I got him on, it only took 5. Also, timer balls are kind of a waste since I couldn't last enough turns to make them more effective than Ultra Balls.

Luckily when I go to catch him for SS, I'll have Dusk Balls.

Geno9999
2010-09-11, 08:29 PM

I used my Master Ball (in SoulSilver) to catch Raikou. Entei (as of this post) is probably at 1/10th of his max hp, and made me waste many a Ultra Ball on him.:smallannoyed: Maybe I should bring over my Wobbuffet from Pearl...

Dragero
2010-09-11, 09:46 PM
The worst part is that there is a ----/Fighting Ledgendary Trio! On the plus side, it could be the monkeys!!

My theory on the starter Evos:

Somebody somehow got a hold of the 2nd forms, but made 3 bad 3rd forms to go along with them to make us all think they`re fake......Maybe it was Gamefreak!

I dunno......I just pray that the Narwhal and Ryperior-pig aren`t real.

Smuglord/snake is good though

Geno9999
2010-09-12, 07:33 AM
The worst part is that there is a ----/Fighting Ledgendary Trio! On the plus side, it could be the monkeys!!

My theory on the starter Evos:

Somebody somehow got a hold of the 2nd forms, but made 3 bad 3rd forms to go along with them to make us all think they`re fake......Maybe it was Gamefreak!

I dunno......I just pray that the Narwhal and Ryperior-pig aren`t real.

Smuglord/snake is good though

Just my two bits on what the Last Water Starter evo is going to be:
Water/Pyschic.
Why? Futachimaru is called the Meditation Pokemon. Medicham, a pyschic/fighting is called the Meditate Pokemon. And if this is true, and considering Smugleaf's... Smugness, I'm going to assume that it'll evolve into a Grass/Dark.
Also; Fire/Fighting again!? Okay Gamefreak, I know you can think of something better than Sumo-Bacon here.:smallannoyed:

CrimsonAngel
2010-09-12, 07:52 AM

While asleep.

Anyway, Corocoro leak, supposedly. I'm happy with these, even though it seems the rumored starter evos are real (I just thought Wotter's didn't fit that well, but oh well), and that Pokabu is apparently... Fire/Fighting again.

You know why? Two reasons. First off, this dude:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg41/The_Dark_Fiddler/Bufafro.jpg

Buffafro, and he actually has a move that uses that afro.

And secondly, these dudes:

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg41/The_Dark_Fiddler/hearnoseenospeaknopokemon.jpg

Not only does the Water-type have a move that can burn (Boiling Water or something like that), their tails seem to be a heart, spade, and club, and they seem to fit the See no Evil (water) Hear no Evil (Fire) Speak no Evil (Grass? Largest stretch of them all). This means: monkey team is quite possible now, as is a Midnight Crew-themed team (from MS Paint Adventures, for those who do not know), especially if there's a fourth, diamond one. Why would there be?

Plus, there's a Sadfish replacement in Madfish.

Overall, I'm happy. How about you? (http://pokebeach.com/2010/09/september-corocoro-apparently-leaking)

I think the starter pokemon are the ones at the bottom

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-12, 07:55 AM
Oh jeez, ENOUGH with the fire/fighting!!!

And besides, Infernape shall always be my favorite.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-12, 08:02 AM
Buffafro.

Evolution of Tauros/Miltank?

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-12, 08:04 AM
I was hoping it was Fire/Ground, Camerupt was cool, but another one wouldn't hurt. Oh well. I'm still picking Fire. I always do on my first playthrough of a region.

deuxhero
2010-09-12, 08:08 AM

Indeed. The fact that this thing is either going to be domed to be worse than Infernape, or it will take it's spot, either way something is redudent. The thing I least liked about RSE is how many clones there were.

Setra
2010-09-12, 10:37 AM
Out of curiosity, what kind of type combos would you all like to see that don't exist yet?

The main reason I already know which game I'm getting is because I've always wanted a Fire/Dragon. Psychic/Fire would also be cool... or Fire/Ghost.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-12, 10:45 AM
Out of curiosity, what kind of type combos would you all like to see that don't exist yet?

The main reason I already know which game I'm getting is because I've always wanted a Fire/Dragon. Psychic/Fire would also be cool... or Fire/Ghost.

Lots of opposing ones: fire/ice, electric/water, dark/psychic, ground/flying. Then i'd make a party of them all and call them the Split-Personalities :smallcool:

deuxhero
2010-09-12, 11:14 AM
Ghost/Steel +levitate. Haunted sword/armor.
Ghost/Normal+levitate=4 immunity.

Dragero
2010-09-12, 11:27 AM
How about a Steel/Fire pokemon? It could be....Melted Metal? Heated Metal? Flaming +2 Longsword?

I kinda hope the Coffin-thing is a Ghost/Ground type, or maybe Dark/Ground. Seeing as coffins are buried underground.....it might work!

How about a Psychic/Bird type? That'd be neat!

Divayth Fyr
2010-09-12, 11:50 AM
How about a Steel/Fire pokemon?
Heatran (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Heatran_(Pok%C3%A9mon))?:smalltongue:

How about a Psychic/Bird type? That'd be neat!
Natu (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Natu_(Pok%C3%A9mon))/Xatu (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Xatu_(Pok%C3%A9mon)), Koromori (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Koromori_(Pok%C3%A9mon)), Lugia (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lugia_(Pok%C3%A9mon))?:tongue:

And count me in the list of people who want opposing elements pokes - fire/grass, fire/water, fire/bug etc...

Geno9999
2010-09-12, 11:52 AM
Actually, you missed some type combos have already been accounted for:
Fire/Dragon (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Reshiram_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29), Psychic/Fire (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Victini_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29), electric (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Chinchou_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29)/water (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lanturn_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29), ground (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gligar_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29)/flying (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gliscor_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29), Steel/Fire (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Heatran_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29), Psy (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Natu_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29)chic (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Xatu_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29)/Fly (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Koromori_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29)ing (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lugia_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29).

Edit: karpik777 used Extreme Speed!
It was a critical hit!

deuxhero
2010-09-12, 12:19 PM
Edit: karpik777 used Extreme Speed!
It was a critical hit!

More of a Sucker Punch really.

Speaking of SP, Sub/Sucker punch/focus punch toxicroak owns.

Hunter Noventa
2010-09-12, 12:51 PM
I used my Master Ball (in SoulSilver) to catch Raikou. Entei (as of this post) is probably at 1/10th of his max hp, and made me waste many a Ultra Ball on him.:smallannoyed: Maybe I should bring over my Wobbuffet from Pearl...

At that point, you're better off just chucking a Quick Ball the first round, then Fast Balls. They'll have a higher catch rate than ultra balls on Entei.

Geno9999
2010-09-12, 01:59 PM
At that point, you're better off just chucking a Quick Ball the first round, then Fast Balls. They'll have a higher catch rate than ultra balls on Entei.

The Quick Ball is not a end all be all, it only has the x4 catch rate if you use it on the first turn. My catching process up to this point was have Gengar use Mean Look, then use Hypnosis to put the 'mon to sleep. That's at least two turns that I end up using, making Quick Balls as effective as a regular Poke Ball.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-12, 02:15 PM
Or wait a long LONG time and use a Timer Ball.

Dragero
2010-09-12, 03:52 PM
Heatran (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Heatran_(Pok%C3%A9mon))?:smalltongue:

Natu (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Natu_(Pok%C3%A9mon))/Xatu (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Xatu_(Pok%C3%A9mon)), Koromori (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Koromori_(Pok%C3%A9mon)), Lugia (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lugia_(Pok%C3%A9mon))?:tongue:

And count me in the list of people who want opposing elements pokes - fire/grass, fire/water, fire/bug etc...

Theres nearly 500 of them, ok? I forget things somtimes........

There can`t be a....Dragon/Psychic yet, that`d be cool.

IthilanorStPete
2010-09-12, 03:55 PM
Theres nearly 500 of them, ok? I forget things somtimes........

There can`t be a....Dragon/Psychic yet, that`d be cool.

Latios (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Latios_(Pok%C3%A9mon))/Latias (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Latias_(Pok%C3%A9mon)).

oxybe
2010-09-12, 04:03 PM
The Quick Ball is not a end all be all, it only has the x4 catch rate if you use it on the first turn. My catching process up to this point was have Gengar use Mean Look, then use Hypnosis to put the 'mon to sleep. That's at least two turns that I end up using, making Quick Balls as effective as a regular Poke Ball.

quick ball is great against most non-legendaries with levels under 30ish, you can expect to simply catch them, but after the first few rounds it's not much use. i'm a much bigger fan of the dusk ball personally.

i generally use Geno's method, but instead of Gengar i use a Gallade bred to catch using this exact method, simply because it can learn false swipe (Mean Look > Hypnosis > False Swipe spam until sitting at 1 HP > Ultra Ball spam with occasional hypnosis to force sleep again).

i really wish the GTS could let me trade for 'mons i've never seen... i'm only missing 2 until i have my seen/caught maxed out and i'm about 40 off from a full dex :(

Hunter Noventa
2010-09-12, 05:30 PM
True, the Quick Ball is only good on the first turn. But Fast Balls are still better than Ultra Balls. With a Sleeping Entei at 1% health, a Fast Ball has a 9.3% catch rate, while an Ultra ball has a 4.4% catch rate. A Dusk Ball at night is 7.1%, if you don't have enough apricorns to make fast balls.

Dragero
2010-09-12, 06:00 PM
Latios (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Latios_(Pok%C3%A9mon))/Latias (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Latias_(Pok%C3%A9mon)).

FUUUUUUU-

And yeah I hate the GTS right now. Getting Gen 3/4 pokemon is near impossible!

I want my Luvdisk!!!!

Geno9999
2010-09-12, 06:42 PM
True, the Quick Ball is only good on the first turn. But Fast Balls are still better than Ultra Balls. With a Sleeping Entei at 1% health, a Fast Ball has a 9.3% catch rate, while an Ultra ball has a 4.4% catch rate. A Dusk Ball at night is 7.1%, if you don't have enough apricorns to make fast balls.
And getting large amounts of Fast Balls is difficult due to the fact that White Apricorns are one of the rarer apricorn varieties.
An amusing thing I accidentally did trying to catch Entei was that I had Gengar use Hpynosis before using Mean Look and... well, this comic pretty much sums it up. (http://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic1-053110.php)
Update: I caught a wild Wobbuffet. :smallsmile: So now I'm pretty much ready to catch Entei. Sort of a side topic here, what events do I need to do before I fight/catch Suicune? I beat all the gym leaders, and I caught Lugia, what next?

deuxhero
2010-09-12, 08:03 PM
Speaking of completeing dex, here is what I need

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1Wkqh8YkwUGDZSpU6khBoG6CESUZ5eM8pzuc10X2dl IU&hl=en&pli=1#

(FC in link, actually a toxicroak, not a wormadad I need)

Can anyone help?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-12, 09:57 PM
Guess what? I just found my copy of Ruby! It's been missing for 2 years!!! :smallbiggrin:

So now I'm off to transfer my shiny Zubat to Heart Gold, but leave the rest in Ruby until I finish evolving everything.

My level 100 Swampert is still there. :smallsmile:

deuxhero
2010-09-12, 10:01 PM
Guess what? I just found my copy of Ruby! It's been missing for 2 years!!! :smallbiggrin:

So now I'm off to transfer my shiny Zubat to Heart Gold, but leave the rest in Ruby until I finish evolving everything.

My level 100 Swampert is still there. :smallsmile:

HOLD IT!
Take That!

Transfer it to emerald and clone it first.

Mc. Lovin'
2010-09-13, 07:07 AM
And getting large amounts of Fast Balls is difficult due to the fact that White Apricorns are one of the rarer apricorn varieties.
An amusing thing I accidentally did trying to catch Entei was that I had Gengar use Hpynosis before using Mean Look and... well, this comic pretty much sums it up. (http://www.awkwardzombie.com/comic1-053110.php)
Update: I caught a wild Wobbuffet. :smallsmile: So now I'm pretty much ready to catch Entei. Sort of a side topic here, what events do I need to do before I fight/catch Suicune? I beat all the gym leaders, and I caught Lugia, what next?

Did you do that comic? I genuinely loled at it, doesn't usually happen. It's good!

Setra
2010-09-13, 10:33 AM
Actually, you missed some type combos have already been accounted for:
Fire/Dragon (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Reshiram_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29)
Well I knew about him (hence mentioning why I already knew which version I was getting), but..

Psychic/Fire (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Victini_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29)
Not him. For a Pyrokinetic he is not nearly as awesome as I was hoping he'd be though :(.

Edit: Looking at the list.. and seeing some of the types.. Bug/Electric sounds pretty neat

oxybe
2010-09-13, 12:22 PM
suicune requires you to simply go at X, Y, Z in a specific order with no real time frame, though you need to have some events cleared first.

from yahoo answers:[quote]Yes, you can catch Suicune in Pokemon HG, but it is different than Raikou and Entei. In the game, you encounter Suicune many times, but after the last encounter, it moves to a stationary location above Cerulean City.

Suicune is seen in the following places and you must follow it if you wish to capture it. First, it will be found in the north of Cianwood City. After you encounter it there, you will shortly find it outside the entrance of Mt. Mortar in Route 42. Once you find it here, it will leave Johto and head to Kanto where you will see it in Vermillion City soon after you arrive. Next you will see it in Route 14 where it will escape for the final time to be found outside Bill's House in Route 25 after Misty has returned to her gym. This is where you battle Suicune.[quote]

from the list of your missing ones, deuxhero, i've got all but rampardos, tropius & celebii.

my list is here (https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1r40x44iByRKJf5dSPs_xO8MWd4LhaV2lsDI8YpiN6 3Y&hl=en&authkey=CO6Hqd4F).

this is the first time since original red/blue i've been so close to a complete pokedex. the fact that i've caught over 3 times the number my personal pokemon quest started kinda boggles the mind. especially when i think to myself:

"which ones am i gonna make a team with? Dragonite and Alakazam fo sho. Charizard is also one of my homeboys. i do like Arcanine & Marowak. i guess Tauros... wait a minute *fires up Super Gameboy + Original RED Cartridge*... i played this very team over a decade ago!"

Bug/Electric - Denchura, the lighting spider pokemon (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Denchura_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29)

Mystic Muse
2010-09-13, 01:41 PM
If you're missing Celebi there' the Celebi egg glitch on bulbapedia here http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Celebi_egg_trick

The Dark Fiddler
2010-09-13, 02:56 PM
If you're missing Celebi there' the Celebi egg glitch on bulbapedia here http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Celebi_egg_trick

Except that trick only works in Gen II.

Dragero
2010-09-13, 03:12 PM
Speaking of completeing dex, here is what I need

https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1Wkqh8YkwUGDZSpU6khBoG6CESUZ5eM8pzuc10X2dl IU&hl=en&pli=1#

(FC in link, actually a toxicroak, not a wormadad I need)

Can anyone help?

I've got a nosepas Hiding in a deep, dark corner of my box.

And whats this Emerald Cloning glitch?

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-13, 03:48 PM
I have found that the 6 most effective types are Fighting, Fire, Flying, Grass, Ground, and Water. Put the 6 together, and you'll have tpye advantages on most gyms and the E4. If this remains true after B&W's release, well, who knows. Speaking of which, who here is going to avod Serebii and Bulbapedia once B&W are released? I'm going to try and preserve the new game feeling as much as I can. A good bit has been spolied already, but that's good for hype. Too much and I won't want to buy it. Anyone else have that feeling?

deuxhero
2010-09-13, 03:52 PM
I've got a nosepas Hiding in a deep, dark corner of my box.

And whats this Emerald Cloning glitch?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRzzGBdV7bQ

FC? When can you trade? What for?

Mc. Lovin'
2010-09-13, 03:56 PM
One again I was going to try to avoid finding out what pokemon are in the game. Di/Pl/Plat had none of the magic old games had for me, probably because I already knew what pokemon were coming up and so didn't find it fun. I was gonna avoid everything about it but I already know every pokemon that's been spoiled so far, I think that plan's out of the window :smallannoyed:

That said, I loved fire red and heartgold the most, maybe I just didn't know enough about the game for it to be fun? Getting stuck on a hard gym with lame pokemon through not enough info is a bitch.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-13, 04:47 PM
One again I was going to try to avoid finding out what pokemon are in the game. Di/Pl/Plat had none of the magic old games had for me, probably because I already knew what pokemon were coming up and so didn't find it fun. I was gonna avoid everything about it but I already know every pokemon that's been spoiled so far, I think that plan's out of the window :smallannoyed:

I've been doing a pretty good job. I know the starters, the gear, the monkeys, crocodile, the deer, flying squirrel, swan, Kibogon, and Victini. That's it. :smallbiggrin:

Mando Knight
2010-09-13, 04:51 PM
I've been doing a pretty good job. I know the starters, the gear, the monkeys, crocodile, the deer, flying squirrel, swan, Kibogon, and Victini. That's it. :smallbiggrin:

We don't even know if the final forms gain extra typing (other than Pignition's Yet Another Fighting Type form), or if the leaked final forms are even real or speculated cut & paste jobs.

However, we do know the new God-Dragons, Reshiram and Zekrom, as well as Turbo-Mole and (pretty much direct Engrish) Death-Can. (But, really, the best name they could think of for a sarcophagus Pokémon is death can?)

Mystic Muse
2010-09-13, 05:07 PM
Except that trick only works in Gen II.

oh. dang.

Good luck then.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-13, 05:12 PM
Death-Can. (But, really, the best name they could think of for a sarcophagus Pokémon is death can?)

That's probably only the Japanese. I'm sure the translation will be better.

Mando Knight
2010-09-13, 05:27 PM
I'm sure the translation will be better.

Maybe to our eyes. http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/8/8c/Pok%C3%A9monDollar.png1000000 says the name will still be a "death-can" pun.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-13, 05:40 PM
You're on. :smalltongue:

tgva8889
2010-09-13, 07:56 PM
Haha, Death-Can. Hilarious!

Linkavitch
2010-09-13, 09:05 PM
Hey, is it just me, or does Yooterii look like a preevolution to Growlithe? (Also, they're both called the Puppy Pokemon)

Mukashi
2010-09-13, 11:25 PM
Speaking of which, who here is going to avod Serebii and Bulbapedia once B&W are released? I'm going to try and preserve the new game feeling as much as I can. A good bit has been spolied already, but that's good for hype. Too much and I won't want to buy it. Anyone else have that feeling?
<== Is Bulbagarden/Bulbapedia Webmaster

You'll have to avoid more than just my site or Joe's after B&W are released if you want to do that. Any Pokémon discussion thread on any site is going to be spoiler filled for months, and we're not expecting any English language release until April next year or so.

Setra
2010-09-13, 11:59 PM
I have found that the 6 most effective types are Fighting, Fire, Flying, Grass, Ground, and Water. Put the 6 together, and you'll have tpye advantages on most gyms and the E4. If this remains true after B&W's release, well, who knows. Speaking of which, who here is going to avod Serebii and Bulbapedia once B&W are released? I'm going to try and preserve the new game feeling as much as I can. A good bit has been spolied already, but that's good for hype. Too much and I won't want to buy it. Anyone else have that feeling?
What, no Ice? After replaying Fire Red my Lapras destroyed Lance despite being like ten levels under, then when I went on to fight my Rival the first three pokemon he sent out were weak to ice (the next was weak to water).

Standard procedure for a new game for me: Avoid any forums, wikis, faqs, or anything of the like until I have beaten the game. Though as far as Pokemon goes... the games are already easy, and I doubt the plot is going to be any different from the standard fare... so I don't exactly know what there is to spoil..

chiasaur11
2010-09-14, 12:06 AM

Dusk ball.

60% Of The Time, It Works Every Time.

SparkMandriller
2010-09-14, 12:14 AM
Death-Can. (But, really, the best name they could think of for a sarcophagus Pokémon is death can?)

I still choose to believe that the カーン part of his name should be romanised as Khan. Deathkhan, hell yeah.

Zeful
2010-09-14, 12:16 AM

I'd like the starters to be an elemental "Rock, Paper, Scissors" that go both ways.

chiasaur11
2010-09-14, 12:43 AM
I still choose to believe that the カーン part of his name should be romanised as Khan. Deathkhan, hell yeah.

Ahem.

KHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Sorry. Had to be done.

ryzouken
2010-09-14, 02:11 AM
I just spent the better part of six hours trying to find a Yanma on Rt 35 sans swarm (pre E4) only to have one pop [finally] up and get hit in the face the maximum five times by my stupid mankey's fury swipes, two of which were crits. I get that said Yanma would replace said Mankey in my E4 team and that said Mankey might be a little miffed about that, but I swear to god I'm going to release that little reprobate in front of a train...

Why, oh why did it have to be a flippin 1% spawn rate? Why?

Deth Muncher
2010-09-14, 09:06 AM
OMG. Baffuron is Tauros with an afro. Superwant.

Mc. Lovin'
2010-09-14, 02:38 PM
<== Is Bulbagarden/Bulbapedia Webmaster

You'll have to avoid more than just my site or Joe's after B&W are released if you want to do that. Any Pokémon discussion thread on any site is going to be spoiler filled for months, and we're not expecting any English language release until April next year or so.

Challenge accepted. Guys, I think we can make this thread as spoiler free as possible. And by that I mean, just bother to use spoilers. That's right, I'm talking to YOU, poster who just talked about the afro bull

Dragero
2010-09-14, 03:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRzzGBdV7bQ

FC? When can you trade? What for?

Hmmm it seems my Nintendo Wi-Fi stick is acting up, and doesn't seem to accept the fact that I installed V1.7ish on it.....so for the next little while, Consider me "Not Availible for Trading"

Sorry!

----------

And yeah, We should make a B/W Spoiler Policy.

All B/W Info released Past this date MUST be spoiled!
This in punishable by death

John Cribati
2010-09-14, 03:29 PM
I'd like the starters to be an elemental "Rock, Paper, Scissors" that go both ways.

Infernape= Fire/Fighting
Empoleon = Water/Steel
Totrerra = Grass/Ground

Water > Fire > Grass > Water
Fighting > Steel
Water > Ground > Fire

Looks like it to me. Unless you're going for something like Starmie (Water/Psychic) Houndoom (Fire/Dark) Breloom (Grass Fighting)

Mando Knight
2010-09-14, 03:42 PM
Water > Ground > Fighting
Also, although it's an off-element attack, as a Water-type and the highest-SpAtk starter in the game, Empoleon has Ice Beam in its repertoire, which is 4x effective against the Grass/Ground Torterra.

Furthermore, Empoleon loses its weakness to Grass and its resistance to Fire (as does Torterra its resistance to Water), but 'terra has access to Earthquake, which shatters Steel types.

tgva8889
2010-09-14, 04:43 PM
Ground isn't good against Fighting.

Psychic > Fighting > Dark isn't as balanced as the traditional Grass/Fire/Water plan because Dark is immune to Psychic, so the Psychic starter has a disadvantage. You want something like Fighting > Rock > Flying.

John Cribati
2010-09-14, 04:56 PM
Psychic > Fighting > Dark isn't as balanced as the traditional Grass/Fire/Water plan because Dark is immune to Psychic, so the Psychic starter has a disadvantage.

*has heard this particular argument one time too many*

So, just so we're clear here, if you picked the Dark Starter, and your rival picked the Fighting Starter, you'd attack with a Dark-type move?

Zeful
2010-09-14, 05:05 PM
*has heard this particular argument one time too many*

So, just so we're clear here, if you picked the Dark Starter, and your rival picked the Fighting Starter, you'd attack with a Dark-type move?

No, that's not the point. Ideally you wouldn't fight with the dark type pokemon at all, but in a clinch you could. The same is not true for the Psychic-Dark relation.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-14, 05:25 PM
It's possible to trade to myself via the GTS right?

Terazul
2010-09-14, 05:39 PM
No, that's not the point. Ideally you wouldn't fight with the dark type pokemon at all, but in a clinch you could. The same is not true for the Psychic-Dark relation.

Aside from, y'know. Using a different type'd move. Unless of course the four moves your Psychic knows are Extrasensory, Psybeam, Psychic, and Confusion. Because that makes sense.

Ground isn't good against Fighting.

I actually think he meant to put Fire there, instead of Fighting. But yes.

Zeful
2010-09-14, 06:14 PM
Aside from, y'know. Using a different type'd move. Unless of course the four moves your Psychic knows are Extrasensory, Psybeam, Psychic, and Confusion. Because that makes sense.Again, it's a clinch thing if you need to you could, but with Psychic-Dark, you can't.

tgva8889
2010-09-14, 06:19 PM
It's not an equal relationship to the Grass > Water > Fire relationship, which is what I was saying. Whether or not people will use those moves or not is irrelevant, the relationships are not equal. Fighting > Rock > Flying is not.

Terry576
2010-09-14, 07:06 PM
Ahem.

KHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!

Sorry. Had to be done.

I was about to post that too. :smallannoyed:

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-15, 02:18 AM
It's possible to trade to myself via the GTS right?

I believe so. Put it up wanting a Level 1 Charizard or something else impossible.

Reset game, reclaim pokemon, It will be addedd to your pokedex if you pokesav'd it, and any trade based evolutions should kick in.

Mc. Lovin'
2010-09-15, 02:33 AM
The new legendaries on Serebii (what I assume to be the new legendary dogs) look AWESOME. I love how weird they look. Really looking forward to this game now

Dragero
2010-09-15, 06:52 AM
The new legendaries on Serebii (what I assume to be the new legendary dogs) look AWESOME. I love how weird they look. Really looking forward to this game now

Doesn`t he admit that they`re fakes? Serebii isn`t loading properly ATM, but I`m pretty sure he said somwhere that they`re fake.

Setra
2010-09-15, 09:15 AM
Fire/Dragon
Water/Dragon
Grass/Dragon

:D I'm kidding, of course

Mc. Lovin'
2010-09-15, 11:22 AM
Doesn`t he admit that they`re fakes? Serebii isn`t loading properly ATM, but I`m pretty sure he said somwhere that they`re fake.

He said they were mockups? Or something. I don't think it means they're fake

Mystic Muse
2010-09-15, 12:49 PM
Is there currently a release date for pokemon black and white?

boj0
2010-09-15, 01:19 PM
18th in Japan
Spring '11 for North America

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-15, 02:09 PM
I believe so. Put it up wanting a Level 1 Charizard or something else impossible.

Reset game, reclaim pokemon, It will be addedd to your pokedex if you pokesav'd it, and any trade based evolutions should kick in.

Erm, I worded that wrong. I meant from my Diamond to my Platinum.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-15, 02:13 PM

You can't just plug a cord in anymore?

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-15, 02:24 PM

Technically you can, but it only shows you 3-7 pokemon that meet your criteria, so there's a good chance you'll never actually find yours no matter how specific your search is.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-15, 04:17 PM
Technically you can, but it only shows you 3-7 pokemon that meet your criteria, so there's a good chance you'll never actually find yours no matter how specific your search is.

Bah. Why can't I find my freaking Stary!! :smallfurious:

ryzouken
2010-09-15, 04:19 PM
It's more efficient to
go out to your local Gamestop
buy a used DS
Transfer your mons via direct trade
Return the DS for a full refund within the X days allowed

I did this myself. The extra cool part was, I traded in games to knock the price of the DS down, which I normally only would've gotten store credit for but obtained cash when I returned the DS. Just make sure you return the system in the refund period; in California it's like 10-15 days, but it differs by area. Investigate your local gamestop's policies and see what their period is.

Totally legal, if a bit inethical. :)

Mando Knight
2010-09-15, 05:19 PM
You can't just plug a cord in anymore?

DS laughs at your "cord" idea. Then remembers that it can't do GBA multiplayer anymore. It shrugs and keeps laughing while communicating with every other DS in the room, simultaneously.

Deth Muncher
2010-09-15, 05:22 PM
It's more efficient to
buy a used DS

I did this myself. The extra cool part was, I traded in games to knock the price of the DS down, which I normally only would've gotten store credit for but obtained cash when I returned the DS. Just make sure you return the system in the refund period; in California it's like 10-15 days, but it differs by area. Investigate your local gamestop's policies and see what their period is.

Remember that Gamestop exchanges include the date of purchase in the number of days on the exchange. I've seen people come in on what SHOULD be the 15th day only to realize it's actually the 16th, and they're boned.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-15, 05:30 PM
It's more efficient to
buy a used DS

Maybe, but I have an ethical problem with that.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-15, 05:46 PM
DS laughs at your "cord" idea. Then remembers that it can't do GBA multiplayer anymore. It shrugs and keeps laughing while communicating with every other DS in the room, simultaneously.

:smallyuk:

Kind of makes me not want to get a DS. (Not going to be able to get one any time soon anyway)

ryzouken
2010-09-15, 07:58 PM

Your loss then. I see it as: the system exists. Corporations play the system to make money; I shouldn't feel bad about using the system to save me money. But that's really beyond the scope of the thread.

Your options, if unwilling to (ab)use the system, are fairly limited. You could try using the GTS, or you could find a friend or acquaintance that'd lend you the use of their system. Maybe grab a cheapo DS off ebay? The ancient ones are going pretty cheap now. Maybe there's a place that'll rent you out a DS?

John Cribati
2010-09-15, 08:09 PM
Your loss then. I see it as: the system exists. Corporations play the system to make money; I shouldn't feel bad about using the system to save me money. But that's really beyond the scope of the thread.

Your options, if unwilling to (ab)use the system, are fairly limited. You could try using the GTS, or you could find a friend or acquaintance that'd lend you the use of their system. Maybe grab a cheapo DS off ebay? The ancient ones are going pretty cheap now. Maybe there's a place that'll rent you out a DS?

And technically, so long as you don't do any game trade-in, you'd just be borrowing a DS, with the $80-100 as collateral if you don't return it in the time limit..

Deth Muncher
2010-09-15, 10:29 PM
And technically, so long as you don't do any game trade-in, you'd just be borrowing a DS, with the $80-100 as collateral if you don't return it in the time limit..

Just...don't mention this in the store. It generally tends to get you banned when you admit to playing the system.

SparkMandriller
2010-09-16, 12:27 AM

Can't you just find someone online to hold your pokemon for you? I'm sure there's at least one person with the game you trust.

:smallyuk:

Kind of makes me not want to get a DS. (Not going to be able to get one any time soon anyway)

How many GBA games do you regularly want to play with other people anyway?

Mystic Muse
2010-09-16, 12:38 AM
How many GBA games do you regularly want to play with other people anyway?

I mean mostly for simplicity if I want to trade pokemon between two of my own games.

SparkMandriller
2010-09-16, 12:45 AM
What were you expecting? It's not like any other pokemon game allowed you to trade with yourself without having two gameboys.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-16, 12:48 AM
What were you expecting? It's not like any other pokemon game allowed you to trade with yourself without having two gameboys.

Not what I meant. I just think it'd be simpler to connect two consoles with a cord (My cousins have several) than to have to find whatever trade you're trying to make in a sea of similar ones

I have no experience with it though so maybe it isn't as bad as it sounds.

Terazul
2010-09-16, 12:51 AM
Not what I meant. I just think it'd be simpler to connect two consoles with a cord (My cousins have several) than to have to find whatever trade you're trying to make in a sea of similar ones

I have no experience with it though so maybe it isn't as bad as it sounds.

It does direct trade too, dude. Just wireless. The "connect to every other DS in the room" is just a reference to the Local WiFi room which does in fact just pick up anyone else on the WiFi in the same area.

But uhh, yeah. Just get someone to hold your pokemon for you, probably the best idea at this point.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-16, 12:53 AM
It does direct trade too, dude. Just wireless. The "connect to every other DS in the room" is just a reference to the Local WiFi room which does in fact just pick up anyone else on the WiFi in the same area.

But uhh, yeah. Just get someone to hold your pokemon for you, probably the best idea at this point.

Ah. Okay. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Terazul
2010-09-16, 01:08 AM
S'Cool! The GTS and Wireless are kind of wacky until you get used to them, plus collecting friend codes. Awesome once you figure it out though, since now I can still battle my friend even though he moved back up north after finishing college. And STILL make him lament my Quick Claw from 2000 miles away. :smallwink:

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-16, 02:47 AM
Would someone here not be willing to hold onto whoever it was (I forgot)'s pokemon and then transfer it onto their new game?

Can't see anyone here thriving it and then never coming back.

SparkMandriller
2010-09-16, 12:28 PM
Well, turns out the leaked starters are definitely real.

Isn't that nice?

John Cribati
2010-09-16, 12:48 PM
No Flaming Boar? Another Fire/Fighting type?

Eldritch Otter of Epic Fail?

At least there's Pimpsnake...

deuxhero
2010-09-16, 12:58 PM
Well, turns out the leaked starters are definitely real.

Isn't that nice?

No.

Except for Smugleaf's line they are all pretty meh.

Garland
2010-09-16, 01:04 PM
They just did it to further force everyone into picking Smugleaf.

"They'll use the Grass starter this time and THEY. WILL. LIKE. IT!"

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-16, 01:16 PM
I was so hoping only Smugleaf was real, and they were using that to make their fail-tastic fakes more believable.

Is there only one designer with multiple brain cells left in Japan? I'd gotten over my hatred of the new generations, this is a major setback :smallannoyed:

Prospekt
2010-09-16, 02:04 PM
Yep, general consensus is choosing Smugleaf, some are choosing Wotter, and no one likes Pignite. :P The reason the final evolutions look so different (well, mostly for Wotter) is because the head guy wanted the starters to go through dramatic changes as they evolved. Seems like it's the only one, though.

Of course, that floating psychic thing freaks me out too. If you can't figure out what it is, you don't need to know...

Mando Knight
2010-09-16, 02:18 PM
The new Pseudo-Legend is a Dark/Dragon... and I think this is the most Dragon-types we've ever gotten in one generation. (non-legends beat out Hoenn by one and legends tie with Sinnoh, for a total of 10 Dragons) It's also the first Pseudo-Legend that's statted out for a Special focus rather than Physical, with its Attack the same as Primeape's, but its SpAtk as high as Gardevoir's. It'll be like a Dark-typed SpecsNite, methinks, as it's slightly slower than 'Mence, with roughly 'Nite's bulk. The other three-step Dragon type (one of two fully-evolved pure Dragons, the other also being Gen V), Ononokusu, has the second-highest Attack out of all Dragons with a base 147.

This is also the first time where base-stats-wise, the starters end up on the same level. Unfortunately, I've uncovered a dilemma: Jaroda (God-King SmugLeaf) is the best looking, but is stats-wise a defensive Sceptile. Daikenki (Epic Wotter) doesn't look as coherent with the rest of his line as Jaroda, but has sword armor and balanced stats. Emboar (Giga-WrestlePig) is all offense with a decent amount of bulk, but has terribad speed and doesn't look as awesome as Jaroda.

Lepurasudo is one of my favorite new Pokémon right now: although its base stats are fairly weak, it's a new kitty that's potentially as awesome as Persian. And doesn't look damned-ugly like Purugly.

I'm also looking forward to seeing these elemental Ghosts in play... Shanderaa is a touch slow (only about as fast as Dragonite) for competitive play, but has massive SpAtk (INCINERATING Alakazam and Pory-Z's shared spot as top not-Legend SpAtk) and decent defenses (65/90/90). Add in Flame Body (can't touch this!) or Flash Fire (your fires only stoke MINE!), and it could actually be a threat.

...Honestly, I think the dev team specifically made the starters look bad, so you would fawn over the multitude of fairly awesome Pokémon...

Garland
2010-09-16, 03:07 PM
There's an Archaeopteryx pokemon! THIS IS AWESOME!

Some of these pokemon are seriously stupid looking, though.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-16, 03:14 PM
Can't you just find someone online to hold your pokemon for you? I'm sure there's at least one person with the game you trust.

Yes, but his internet isn't compatible with Wi-Fi. Though I could possibly borrow it from someone. Have yet to find someone in school who has a DS. Then again, I only asked one person because I forgot to ask people (who would actually) lend me a DS.

ION: I have 60$ saved. HG, SS, or wait for B&W?

Yep, general consensus is choosing Smugleaf, some are choosing Wotter, and no one likes Pignite.

Unless my metagaming stops me, I'm choosing Pignition.

John Cribati
2010-09-16, 03:22 PM
Dude. That crocodile is friggen sweet.

Raistlin1040
2010-09-16, 05:18 PM
Things that I feel the need to comment on:
Smuglord/Jaroda: Awesome looking. Stats make me cry.
Yooterii: It's so cuuuuuuuuuuuuute
Muurando: Why can cute things never stay cute when they get powerful?
Pendoraa: Will never be used in the metagame, but I like it.
Warubiaru: Looks really cool, and has good attack. Probably like Pendoraa.
Dasutodasu: OH GOD KILL IT WITH PSYCHIC
Gochiruzeru: Gotta say, I am disappointed by its stats. I will probably still use it, but I was hoping it'd be a better version of Gardevoir.
Baibanira: I don't usually like Ice type, but I love this. Definitely will be using.
Shubarugo: x4 weakness to fire, but it might actually be decently viable for a Bug type.
Burunkeru: I am intrigued. Ghost is my favorite type.
Shanderaa: Oh hell yes.
Ononokusu: Badass.
Gorugga: Strange. Possibly workable.
Kirikizan: Dark/Steel typing? Hm, seems like a lot of unique typing or near unique typing, and that's cool.
Sazando: I absolutely love this.
Kyuremu: This looks ridiculously awesome. Dragon/Ice typing and monster attack stats? Sign me up.

Consensus: Lots of cool Pokemon. Good set of new Dragons, Ghosts, Steel, and Dark types, which are always types that get the short end of the stick. Not too many Water types, which is good. Maybe too many bug types, but if they are useful, Psychic types might want to watch out. I would say maybe too many Fighting types, and still not enough fire types. This set will never be as iconic as the original 151, but it's definitely a solid set.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-16, 06:26 PM
So, B&W come out soon. Looks like no Serebii or Bulbapedia for me for a few months. Now the question is, can I do it? Can I simulate that feeling from Pokemon Crystal? The answer? Probablly not, but I'll try it damn it.

oxybe
2010-09-16, 06:31 PM
well i couldn't resist after seeing the link:

SPOILER ALERT
http://pokebeach.com/2010/09/all-isshu-pokemon-sprites

some are cool, some are hit & miss.

archaeopteryx, bubble ghost, crocobandit, candelabraghost, polar bear, lamprey guy, afrobull, the stag, a flying black hydra, the cogs and the djinn trio are all pretty awesome

all in all, i'm happy.

/END SPOILER ALERT

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-16, 06:54 PM
Neeesh. This going to be really, really hard. :smallmad:

Dragero
2010-09-16, 08:00 PM
well i couldn't resist after seeing the link:

SPOILER ALERT
http://pokebeach.com/2010/09/all-isshu-pokemon-sprites

some are cool, some are hit & miss.

archaeopteryx, bubble ghost, crocobandit, candelabraghost, polar bear, lamprey guy, afrobull, the stag, a flying black hydra, the cogs and the djinn trio are all pretty awesome

all in all, i'm happy.

/END SPOILER ALERT

MUST RESIST CLICKING LINK!!!!

GAHH!!!!!!!

THE PAIN!!!!

oxybe
2010-09-16, 08:02 PM

GAHH!!!!!!!

THE PAIN!!!!

you're welcome.

/tips his hat and gins an evil grin.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-16, 08:07 PM

GAHH!!!!!!!

THE PAIN!!!!

I suggest we start smoking. Or drinking coffee. Or both.

Dragero
2010-09-16, 08:11 PM
I suggest we start smoking. Or drinking coffee. Or both.

But....then I won`t live to see B/W`s release!!

Coffee could work though......

Foeofthelance
2010-09-16, 08:38 PM
Some look cute, others look like they should be in some robot fighting game. Too much trying to appeal to both sides?

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-16, 08:44 PM
Some look cute, others look like they should be in some robot fighting game. Too much trying to appeal to both sides?

Don't know. Still haven't looked. But probablly.

Mando Knight
2010-09-16, 09:46 PM
Since you insist on not peeking...
The sprites really make me feel better about Gen V. The Dragon/Dark is a hydra that gains a head each time it evolves? Cool. More MechaMon? Right up my alley. Lancer-Bug? Neat. Ice cream cone with a Slime face? Amusing. Meloia? ...
...moe...

SparkMandriller
2010-09-16, 10:54 PM
I like the bug/grass type that gets Chlorophyll. Don't think he's quite thought that one out.

John Cribati
2010-09-16, 10:55 PM
http://pokebeach.com/news/0910/black-white/new-pokemon/isshu-pokemon-131.jpg Megaman boss reject.
http://pokebeach.com/news/0910/black-white/new-pokemon/isshu-pokemon-127.jpg Very early digimon concept art.
http://pokebeach.com/news/0910/black-white/new-pokemon/isshu-pokemon-141.jpg Bakugan creature.
http://pokebeach.com/news/0910/black-white/new-pokemon/isshu-pokemon-154.jpg Unused Bratz toy.
http://pokebeach.com/news/0910/black-white/new-pokemon/isshu-pokemon-155.jpg Next EVA model from the next rebuild of evangelion movie

Mando Knight
2010-09-16, 10:57 PM
http://pokebeach.com/news/0910/black-white/new-pokemon/isshu-pokemon-131.jpg Megaman boss reject.

Poké Man! :smalltongue:

SparkMandriller
2010-09-16, 11:03 PM
http://pokebeach.com/news/0910/black-white/new-pokemon/isshu-pokemon-155.jpg Next EVA model from the next rebuild of evangelion movie

I knew it reminded me of something!

chiasaur11
2010-09-17, 01:07 AM
Let's face it. It's all been downhill for a while.

Since the beginning, really.

Because no Pokemon will ever be as good as Bulbasaur.

He's the best and we'll all just have to accept that.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-17, 01:59 AM
Let's face it. It's all been downhill for a while.

Since the beginning, really.

Because no Pokemon will ever be as good as Bulbasaur.

He's the best and we'll all just have to accept that.

Really? I can't stand Bulbasaur. In fact, I can't recall ever using a grass starter. It's always either Charmander, Totidle, or Torchick.

chiasaur11
2010-09-17, 02:23 AM
Really? I can't stand Bulbasaur. In fact, I can't recall ever using a grass starter. It's always either Charmander, Totidle, or Torchick.

May Arceus have mercy on your immortal soul.

Bulbasaur won't.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-17, 02:26 AM
May Arceus have mercy on your immortal soul.

Bulbasaur won't.

*grabs his katana, a thing of matches, a lighter for backup, and a gallon of gasoline*

Just try it you turtle reject.:smallamused:Bulbasaur, not you

chiasaur11
2010-09-17, 02:33 AM
*grabs his katana, a thing of matches, a lighter for backup, and a gallon of gasoline*

Just try it you turtle reject.:smallamused:Bulbasaur, not you

Have you seen what Bulbasaur is packing?

Long range razor sharp projectiles.

Seeds with the speed and power of smg rounds.

Midrange explosives.

Death rays powered by the sun itself!

More importantly, Bulbasaur's got a Noisy Cricket, a license to kill, shades, and a sharp suit. He's kinda the man in both slang senses of the word.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-17, 02:43 AM

Midrange explosives.

Good for him. I have ninth level spells and level 100 pokemon.:smalltongue:

chiasaur11
2010-09-17, 02:49 AM
Good for him. I have ninth level spells and level 100 pokemon.:smalltongue:

That's very nice.

But to be legally authorized to use them, you'll need to take an eye test.

Nothing fancy, won't take more than a minute. Just look at the flashing red dot.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-17, 02:50 AM
That's very nice.

But to be legally authorized to use them, you'll need to take an eye test.

Nothing fancy, won't take more than a minute. Just look at the flashing red dot.

Screw the rules I have money!and ninth level spells

Hunter Noventa
2010-09-17, 06:22 AM
I'm stupidly excited about the new pokemon. I can't wait til it comes out overhere, I'll probably bet here first day to buy it and start tearing things up after boxing the awful starter. Well, I might use Smugleaf.

Geno9999
2010-09-17, 07:35 AM
Did you do that comic? I genuinely loled at it, doesn't usually happen. It's good!

lol no, but I'm a fan of that webcomic. You should look at the rest of the stuff there.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-17, 02:50 PM
I think V looks better than IV, and honestly IMO, IV wasn't really all that bad.

after boxing the awful starter.

I think I'll actually do that this time. Never done it before, but I will this time. I'll get a monkey though, they look promising.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-17, 03:30 PM
Holy crap, nearly every single pokemon is in the dream world and has a new ability and some of them are going to mess up the metagame.

Also, Sturdy just became an extremely good ability.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-17, 03:37 PM
Metagame or mini-game? Also, since whn hasn't Sturdy been a "good" ability.

Mando Knight
2010-09-17, 03:41 PM
Also, since whn hasn't Sturdy been a "good" ability.

Since Generation 3. It's only not horrible now, since it acts like Focus Sash rather than negating what, four highly inaccurate moves?

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-17, 03:43 PM
The only good ability is Pressure, maybe Blaze and the other abilities like that. So Sturdy is as "good" as the rest.

Dragero
2010-09-17, 03:45 PM

Midrange explosives.

[
More importantly, Bulbasaur's got a Noisy Cricket, a license to kill, shades, and a sharp suit. He's kinda the man in both slang senses of the word.

Oh god, I must sig this!

Mando Knight
2010-09-17, 03:56 PM
The only good ability is Pressure, maybe Blaze and the other abilities like that. So Sturdy is as "good" as the rest.

Levitate is part of what messed up Earthquake's domination (aside from the fairly large number of Flying types in the high-level metagame). Swift Swim makes Rain teams devastating. Intimidate adds an extra layer of protection to Gyarados and Salamence when they're switching in. Flash Fire makes Heatran not only the only Pokémon that currently resists Fire/Dragon combos, but also a great switch in from any other Steel type when threatened with a Special attacker. Magnet Pull draws in any Steel type that's not Scizor (with its U-Turn) and lets Magnezone shock Skarmory to death (unless it's carrying Shed Shell). Auto-Weather abilities remove the need for the appropriate weather move, in addition to potentially ruining your opponent's strategy. Inner Focus kills flinch-hax builds, Speed Boost combos with Baton Pass to turn a slow, powerful ally into a killing machine...

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-17, 04:02 PM
Fine, Intimidate and Levitate.

I really don't care for the metagame as it isn't (very) fun.

Mando Knight
2010-09-17, 06:10 PM
There's also Static, Flame Body, Effect Spore, Sand Veil...

Partof1
2010-09-17, 06:37 PM
There's Serene Grace, Air Lock/Cloud Nine, Sand Stream, Volt absorb, and I personally enjoy Iron Fist.

Hunter Noventa
2010-09-17, 06:52 PM
Also, Sturdy just became an extremely good ability.

Yeah, not being able to one-shot the ultra-common geodude/graveler replacement before it can use explosion is going to be SO fun. -_-

Sturdy now prevents both kinds of OHKO. Both the OHKO moves, and being reduced to 0hp from full in a single attack.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-17, 06:58 PM
Yeah, not being able to one-shot the ultra-common geodude/graveler replacement before it can use explosion is going to be SO fun. -_-

Sturdy now prevents both kinds of OHKO. Both the OHKO moves, and being reduced to 0hp from full in a single attack.

Yeah, this just sounds annoying.

chiasaur11
2010-09-17, 09:27 PM
There's Serene Grace, Air Lock/Cloud Nine, Sand Stream, Volt absorb, and I personally enjoy Iron Fist.

Who doesn't?

Matt "Action" Fraction's run on the title showed just how awesome Iron Fist can be.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-17, 09:32 PM
Blaziken. With SPEED BOOST.

Mando Knight
2010-09-17, 09:48 PM
Speaking of PAWNCH! and Dream World...
The Infernal Ape's FEESTS, dey are made of STEEL! (http://tf2wiki.net/w/images/4/4d/Heavy_specialweapon01.wav)

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-17, 10:30 PM
I just found some of the music from Black and White on Youtube. :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and there are a couple of very familiar tracks..:smallamused:

SparkMandriller
2010-09-18, 12:33 AM
Politoed yesterday - NU.
Politoed tomorrow - uber.

(Seaking with Lightningrod!)

(Also damn do I want one of those new Armaldos. He's usable now, how awesome is that!?)

Mc. Lovin'
2010-09-18, 06:23 AM
Oh man, I don't want to see the new pokemon but I'd love to find all the new abilities of the old ones, can someone link me up or something?

EDIT: Found it. Are there any large changes to the metagame people can see in the new abilities?

AtlanteanTroll
2010-09-18, 07:53 AM
I don't know. But I was thinking, could a Dream World Pokemon (assuming it was Female) pass down it's ability with an Everstone? I'm hoping yes, but I'm assuming I'm wrong.

EDIT:

Why does Serebii say that there's 11 Gym Leaders? Their paage only shows 8, could he have made a mistake.

krko
2010-09-18, 08:51 AM
EDIT:

Why does Serebii say that there's 11 Gym Leaders? Their paage only shows 8, could he have made a mistake.

First Gym leader changes with respect to your starter and uses the type strong against it. Last Gym leader changes depending on the version (Black/White)