PDA

View Full Version : Help! My phone is smarter than me!

Keld Denar
2010-09-03, 10:46 PM
Well, kinda, but not really. I just got a new Droid Incredible. So far, it's told me how to get home from the store (with my voice!) and how warm it is outside. I'm still messing around with everything, including how to get the charger to charge. It works when I plug it in to my USB port, but not when I plug the USB into the adapter and then into the wall. Wierd.

So yea...anyone got any tips, tricks, or apps they love that they'd like to share?

Shas aia Toriia
2010-09-03, 10:48 PM
Man, I want a droid, but my contract says no. :smallfrown:

Marnath
2010-09-03, 10:48 PM
Kill it with fire! Don't let the machines conquer our society! O.O

Mauve Shirt
2010-09-03, 11:31 PM
I want a droid, but I can't pay for a data plan. :smallfrown:

Thanatos 51-50
2010-09-03, 11:39 PM
One word, my friend:
Flashlight.

Seriously, go onto the marketplace and download the flashlight app, now. It's free. Do it.

There's also a free coin-flip app for those pesky times when you're without a D2.

I also downloaded a compass to help with my urban land-nav.

These are all free.
(For the record, I have a Samsung Moment)

Dr.Epic
2010-09-04, 12:23 AM
I got an app that lets my phone become a throwing weapon.

Zeb The Troll
2010-09-04, 01:46 AM
What is Flashlight?

Also, Alarra has a Droid and I'm expecting my Droid X in the mail any day now. What dice roller app is the best? I'm willing to pay for it if it's not too expensive.

Thanatos 51-50
2010-09-04, 02:35 AM
What is Flashlight?

Also, Alarra has a Droid and I'm expecting my Droid X in the mail any day now. What dice roller app is the best? I'm willing to pay for it if it's not too expensive.

Exactly what it sounds like. Turns the screen a super-bright white that can be used as a flashlight. I use it alot.

Dunno about dice rollers. Haven't really checked into them.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-04, 09:23 AM
Voice changer amused me for hours at a time; specifically the "Reverse" option :smallbiggrin:

Also might reccomend getting an app version of Facebook if you use it because there mobile site sucks (or at least it did last time I checked).

FyreByrd
2010-09-04, 10:48 AM
Search for dicebag on the android market place...best free dice app I've found. Works perfectly on HTC Legend ,and should on most other 2.1 android phones

Silly Wizard
2010-09-04, 11:05 AM
DroidDice all the way, man. It lets gives you all the basic dice, plus one section where you choose how many of what types of dice you want to roll, plus a modifier. So you can be like, 2d8+4 and it'll calculate it in full for you.

Also Android Lightsaber. Nifty little lightsaber app that makes sounds when you move it.

Oh, and Robo Defense. Best time-waster when you're on the bus or something.

Keld Denar
2010-09-04, 04:53 PM
Dude! Robodefense is a tower defense game! I just spent the last 2 hours playing it! I beat it on my second try, well, at least the 100 levels you get on the free version!

Commander McCoy
2010-09-04, 05:18 PM
Some of my favorites are GameBoid Lite, which is free and let's you run ROMs of your favorite GBA games, Pandora, which is basically an online radio with customizable stations, and Google Sky Map, which lets you aim your phone at the night sky to help you identify stars, planets, and constellations.

Icewalker
2010-09-05, 02:24 PM
Wooooo! I just got my droid X a couple days ago myself, and it's great (I'm writing this from it, in fact. Swype is glorious). When it comes to flashlight apps, what you want is the droid light app: instead of just turning your screen white, it turns on the super bright LED the phone uses as a camera flash.

Pocketa
2010-09-05, 02:42 PM
I have 2 Droids.

Favorite apps:

Alchemy: It's a free game. I like the one that's just called "Alchemy", not the fancier one. You have a bunch of elements (air, water, fire, etc.) and you mix them to make more. I.e. water+fire=alcohol, water+alcohol=vodka. There are 300ish elements total.

The aforementioned Droid light is fun, plus, you get a bulb icon on the front of your screen. Yum.

Battery meters are useful. I have them because the Motorola Droid (yeah, it's old ;_;) doesn't have an easy way of seeing the percentage of battery left.

Don't forget about widgets! BRB taking pics of me + my Droids.

Zeb The Troll
2010-09-05, 11:36 PM
Battery meters are useful. I have them because the Motorola Droid (yeah, it's old ;_;) doesn't have an easy way of seeing the percentage of battery left.Really? Alarra's does. :smallconfused:

littlekKID
2010-09-07, 12:13 PM
There's also a free coin-flip app for those pesky times when you're without a D2.

(For the record, I have a Samsung Moment)

Am I the only one that when hearing about the coin-flip app, start imaging Two-Face using it?

maybe it's the BTAS marathon I did in the summer vacation? I dunno

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-09-07, 09:48 PM
Am I the only one that when hearing about the coin-flip app, start imaging Two-Face using it?

maybe it's the BTAS marathon I did in the summer vacation? I dunno

That... is awesome. He totally had to hack the app to scar one side of the coin, though. :smallsigh:

Pika...
2010-09-08, 05:29 AM
....So far, it's told me how to get home from the store (with my voice!).....

:smalleek:

I would have SO much fun with that.

I'd hide it behind people at the dinner table, and have myself speak from behind them as I look at them.

I would SO boost my ego. "Who the man?", "Yeah, you the man!" would be my ringtone/whatever.

Pocketa
2010-09-17, 12:08 AM
Really? Alarra's does. :smallconfused:

But not as a percentage. It's a rather inaccurate bar-type thing.

Roland St. Jude
2010-09-17, 12:22 AM
I recommend: Yelp, Pandora, WordFeud, and Google Talk. That last one is so great because you can message people who also have it with total disregard for character limits and text message allowances.

Also, if you really want to geek out, there's a Tricorder app, a magic 8 ball app, and a dice app called DiceBox.

Temotei
2010-09-17, 12:32 AM
Exactly what it sounds like. Turns the screen a super-bright white that can be used as a flashlight. I use it alot.

That sounds like it would drain the battery like crazy.

Zeb The Troll
2010-09-17, 12:54 AM
But not as a percentage. It's a rather inaccurate bar-type thing.I'll have to double check hers, but my newly acquired Droid X absolutely does. :smallcool:

Penguinsushi
2010-09-18, 09:24 AM
I'll have to double check hers, but my newly acquired Droid X absolutely does. :smallcool:

I don't have any xp with the Droid series, but my 3gs has a % - though that feature is off by default. It's also worth nothing that the 3g does not, so perhaps the "older" droids don't either, or maybe it's something you have to turn on in its settings?

In addition, I have an app (istat) that shows the battery percentage (amongst a plethora of other things) and I'd guess that there's some similar device-status app for the droid that would do that as well...just a thought...

~PS