PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Dwarf Lunatic Warrior Cleric (Build... needs YOUR help!)

SanusCompleo
2010-09-04, 06:49 AM
Hi there... I'm new. Specifically to make this post. I was playing dwarf fortress, when I realized just how badly I wanted to play a dwarf who was really into fire, and could throw a flood-gate at someone. The group I play with strictly uses the core handbooks. Nothing else. Nothing new, except homebrew... Which there is a lot of, but no classes here-so-far (Except an Inventor class, which might be shared later on...) Anyway, what I wanted is 4th level cleric spell-casting, at least, with multiclass to some sort of fighter, and respectable BaB. What I got was a lunatic who loves to buff.

Dwarf Lunatic Warrior Cleric of Fire

EDIT: (Took out fighter level, fixed saves, and corrected rage bit)
9 Cleric / 1 Barbarian
HP 9d8 + 1d12 = 10 - 88
Chaotic Neutral (Take a Chaotic/Neutral Fire god with domains Fire/Chaos... if you have one, that is.)
Ability Scores: (32 point buy... probably badly botched)
STR 16 DEX 12 INT 10 WIS 14 CON 16 CHA 8
After racial bonuses
STR 16 DEX 12 INT 10 WIS 14 CON 18 CHA 6 (Ouch... This guy has a beard, and you know it.)
BaB +7/+2
Melee +9/+4
Ranged +8/+3
Saves: Fort 8(12) Ref 2(3) Will 6(8) <Theoretically you could get higher fortitude if you swapped out a level with something>
Feats 4 <Feats are only suggestions. If you have more rulebooks to access than I, then by all means use them!>
Turn Undead
Fast Movement
Rage 1/day

Lost Uncanny Dodge, but if you get another level, then why worry? Here's hoping your rogue is more of a brogue, and keeps the other sneak attackers at bay. At worst, they get a mighty smacking after they hit you once.

Power Attack
Cleave
Weapon Focus (Suggestion, Dwarven Waraxe?)
Improved Critical

Progression:

Cleric (Barbarian if you want illiteracy, drop 2 skill-points for the total 6 skill point gain)
Barbarian
Cleric till 10
(Take Wisdom as your attribute bonuses, or STR if you really need to be more dwarvy... spellcasting's already suffering here.)

Spells per day
0 6
1 5 + 1 (Bless, Divine Favor)
2 4 + 1 (Aid, Bear's Endurance, Bull's Strength)
3 3 + 1 (Prayer)
4 2 + 1 (Divine Power, Magic Weapon, Greater)
5 1 + 1 (Righteous Might [For stupid damage] )

Alright, now it's buff time. If casting time is not a problem, everything, otherwise bear, bull, divine power, Magic Weapon, Greater (If you're using a mundane weapon... which at level ten, you really shouldn't be.), and maybe prayer/divine favor... It's important!

Here's where things get fun. Your strength boosting spells (Divine Power + Bull's strength) send your strength to 26, that's a +8 bonus right there to everything the DM's about to be rolling. AND you get 1d8 + 10 more hp. Another 20 coming from bear's endurance. That's 31 - 38 hp. Okay, next part, you've got +4 to your base attack bonus from various things (That's +11, so far), that's pretty good, eh? Plus you get 1 to damage, so chalk it up to +9 damage.

Next up, Rage. Rage rage rage rage rage. You can use it ONCE per day. So USE IT WISELY. You can't cast spells while you rage, so as nice as those inflict spells will be, you'll simply have to deal with eviscerating your enemies with that horrifying war-axe you've got thar. You'll be out of your ability to buff that day. If you're the healing character, then you're doing your magma Deity down below the moutainhome a great disservice. Sends your base attack bonus and damage to +13, and +10 respectively. Also gives you a nice nasty 20 new hp, to add to your 31 - 38. Your STR broke 30, which is always nice. So now your BaB is +22/+17. You do 1d10 + 11 damage. But I'm not done there! We forgot about feats! Weapon Focus is +23/+18... Now... Power Attack. Power attack is FUN, kids! Never forget. If you're still having trouble after all this hitting them through their armor, then you're going to need a magic weapon. Otherwise, start getting some use out of that Greater Cleave you've heard so much about. Also, now we've got Righteous Might... Which makes you a Large Dwarf, and changes your scary axe into a scarier axe of 2d8 power. Yes, 2d8. 4 more STR, which is... Holy crap, 34. Adds a net bonus of 1 AC (Like you're worried about that), and an additional 10 hp, which brings your already respectable 51 - 58 to 61 - 68. Your reach increases, which is just... just great.

Final Verdict:
STR 34 DEX 14 INT 10 WIS 16 CON 22 CHA 6 (Throwaway: 1)
BaB +25/+20 with your chosen weapon.
Damage: 2d8 +16, 2d8 +31 if you are going two handed on me... Power attack can make this nastier! (That's 18 - 32, or 33 - 47 two handed)
HP: +61 - 68

Gritty, muddy... and has a beard.

If you have things to add, remember... Core Content only (:D>

Beorn080
2010-09-04, 07:05 AM
Couple of things.

Saves are additive. So if you get, for example, +5 will from cleric lvls, and 0 from the fighter and barb levels, you have a +5 will save. Unless you using the fractional save system. However, your going with a different system, and if that's the one everyone is using, then your fine.

Also, the rules for rage state that you can't cast while in the rage state. Thus, you only lose your casting during combat. You can still patch up and cast spells after raging for the day.

You may wish to drop the lvl of fighter and pick up a second lvl of Barb. A single bonus feat from Core probably isn't worth Uncanny Dodge, and you'll have a better hit die. That will help earlier until you can pick up some Mithril Full Plate.

SanusCompleo
2010-09-04, 07:14 AM
Ah I figured as much for the rage, just neglected to mention it, however I hadn't thought much on taking out the fighter... for some... reason, that's beyond me now. I wasn't even using that fighter feat anyway. Also, I like your avatar.

Eldariel
2010-09-04, 03:40 PM
I'd actually suggest more Cleric; it sounds like you may like spells like Righteous Might, Divine Power and so on. Pumping your Strength into atmosphere seems convenient in general. So higher level spells > Quicken the goodies > profit.

SanusCompleo
2010-09-04, 05:08 PM
It's still not as nice at level 10 as having those two of barbarian, Rage outright beats Righteous might for damage and extra hp (As well as those 2d12, which are pretty nice) And attack bonus would take a hit there, which would be sad, because now you can't hit 35+ AC monsters with decent rolls.

EDIT: On one hand, you'd have some more spellcasting capabilities, specifically during combat, but on the other the poor wiw guy is already stretched pretty thin. He's got about one major combat session he needs to prepare for per day, which if you're dungeon crawling means he's just a cleric with very little spell casting and somewhat decent damage after he goes ape-poo crazy. Giving him some more spells would start to send him back into the usual "Healan' Caster" roll... Come to think of it I'm not really sure why I'd want to play him in the first place, unless of course you're looking to be mediocre all of a game session, then beef up and scare the crap out of your DM/win over the hearts and minds of your fellow players... Or kill them. Whichever works.

Eldariel
2010-09-04, 05:15 PM
It's still not as nice at level 10 as having those two of barbarian, Rage outright beats Righteous might for damage and extra hp (As well as those 2d12, which are pretty nice) And attack bonus would take a hit there, which would be sad, because now you can't hit 35+ AC monsters with decent rolls.

EDIT: On one hand, you'd have some more spellcasting capabilities, specifically during combat, but on the other the poor wiw guy is already stretched pretty thin. He's got about one major combat session he needs to prepare for per day, which if you're dungeon crawling means he's just a cleric with very little spell casting and somewhat decent damage after he goes ape-poo crazy. Giving him some more spells would start to send him back into the usual "Healan' Caster" roll... Come to think of it I'm not really sure why I'd want to play him in the first place, unless of course you're looking to be mediocre all of a game session, then beef up and scare the crap out of your DM/win over the hearts and minds of your fellow players... Or kill them. Whichever works.

Why the heck would you want to heal people? Screw that, Clerics are warriors and Barbarians are squishies. Divine Power fixes any stupid BAB loss and level 5 spells = Quickened Divine Favor; caster level 9 for +3/+3 doesn't hurt either. You're a dwarf, not some wussy of Pelor. Smack some Giant butt! And hit AC 35; that's easy!

What you ultimately want is turn 1:
Quickened Divine Favor > Righteous Might > AoO something
Quickened (with Rod of Quicken Spell) Divine Power > Smack Butt.

This gives you:
+10 Str
+2 To Hit (-1 from Size balanced by +3 from Divine Favor)

Increased weapon damage die (3d6 for a nice two-hander like Greataxe or Greatsword), reach and +10-11 from Str and Divine Favor.

EDIT: And Bull's Strength doesn't unfortunately stack with Divine Power making it rather obsolete. This leaves you with 26 Str either way. Still plenty, mind you.

SanusCompleo
2010-09-04, 06:40 PM
Ah geez, I suppose you're right... But still, the 4 from rage and the booku HP that comes along with it (As well as Uncanny dodge from the second level) is still really handy. But if you can get two more levels than ten, then pffft, why cut down? You get the rage, AND you get the righteous might. Although, taking ooone more in cleric tho, gives you access to righteous might, as well as rage... That way you get an extra ac, an extra 10 hp, still top out at 30 str, and you're now doing stupid damage with your weapon of choice! Rage is a substantial bonus that shouldn't be neglected in this... As well as the possibility of keeping -some- flavor. And taking quickened spell to drop weapon focus? Hrm... Prolly worth it, all it is is one extra point.

(And all this talk of meta-magic rods and mithril platemail makes me giggle... cause I've only played poor campaigns D:)

Gavinfoxx
2010-09-04, 07:38 PM
Lets put it this way. Cleric, all by itself, is perhaps the most powerful "Wade into melee and KICK ASS" class in the game. If you want to wade into melee and kick ass as a Cleric, you need to be focusing on *ways to make your clericyness more awesome*, and not so much "deviating from being a Cleric".

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0

Read it, learn it!