PDA

View Full Version : Something that just occured to me...

Cybertoy00
2010-09-04, 11:04 AM
In comic 434, Roy says that Xykon killed Fyron and his son in order to get that really badass crown the lich wears.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0434.html
but in Start of Darkness, Eugene didn't mention any son in his flashback. The closest he ever got to something remotely like it was saying that Fyron was like a father to him, and we all know it was old age that got the old miser.
What I want to know is, "Huh?" What's up with that 'son' bit?
:mitd: What'd he bit?

Kish
2010-09-04, 11:25 AM
We don't know yet. Were it not for the fact that Rich had Roy mention the son again as late as comic #434, I would think he'd simply dropped the plot thread.

Crisis21
2010-09-04, 11:31 AM
Personally, as we have neither seen nor heard any further mention of this mysterious son of Fyron's, I'm assuming that the fact is largely unimportant to the overall plot.

Ancalagon
2010-09-04, 11:40 AM
Wait for it: The story will awesomely unfold until the final battle, then the order gets defeated. Just before Xykon takes over the world, the super-powerful Son of Fyron will step out of the shadows and kills Xykon with ease in an utterly horrible Deus Ex Machina scene.
He then turns towards the 4th wall and says "And you thought this would not have a lame ending! Haha, Rich really has you her! Now buy the last book and leave!"
Then, he'll explode into a rain of tomatoes and carrots.

PirateMonk
2010-09-04, 11:43 AM
Personally, as we have neither seen nor heard any further mention of this mysterious son of Fyron's, I'm assuming that the fact is largely unimportant to the overall plot.

He's also mentioned in 110 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0110.html), so it would be weird if it didn't mean anything.

Crisis21
2010-09-04, 11:49 AM
He's also mentioned in 110 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0110.html), so it would be weird if it didn't mean anything.

Oh, I believe it means something. I just don't believe it means anything beyond a way to help illustrate how utterly despicable Xykon is. All it is is a little factoid to help flesh out the scenario that led to Eugene making the blood oath and has no further importance.

Cizak
2010-09-04, 05:06 PM
This has been discusses over, and over, and over, and over and over and over and overandoverandoverandoverandoverandoverandOVER!!!

Welcome to the forums, buddy :smallsmile:

Dr.Epic
2010-09-04, 07:14 PM
The missing son of Fyron has been discussed many times before and Rich has never given any mention to this.

tassaron
2010-09-12, 02:32 PM
Considering how often this comes, it's a perfect example of the kind of thing Rich would comment on if it truly weren't important. The fact that he hasn't indicates that it's either really off-the-wall or something that will become important later. :P

Probably.

Crisis21
2010-09-12, 02:40 PM
Considering how often this comes, it's a perfect example of the kind of thing Rich would comment on if it truly weren't important. The fact that he hasn't indicates that it's either really off-the-wall or something that will become important later. :P

Probably.

Or it could be that he finds our attempts to decipher the plot using background characters with no true significance to be highly amusing.

Valifor
2010-09-12, 03:57 PM
Or it could be that he finds our attempts to decipher the plot using background characters with no true significance to be highly amusing.

i find this very likely. if i were in his shoes, with a comic of this level of popularity, i'd have lots of fun messing with my fans, or letting them mess with themselves.

Morgan Wick
2010-09-12, 10:46 PM
I'm not sure any explanation would make sense, really. If not from Eugene in that flashback, where WOULD Roy have gotten the son from?

Nilan8888
2010-09-14, 10:52 AM
Considering how often this comes, it's a perfect example of the kind of thing Rich would comment on if it truly weren't important. The fact that he hasn't indicates that it's either really off-the-wall or something that will become important later.

I don't think it indicates anything. It just indicates open doors.

The son of Fryon is one of those things I think a writer can use as a sort of "trapdoor" to fill in whatever he likes in a Checkov's gun moment or something. But it's such a small thing that there's not really any audience expectation to answer that detail. Rich could never revisit it and nobody would ever feel they'd been robbed of an answer.

So it's an ideal situation: he has all the room in the world to put as little as he likes or as much as he wants. And as far as integration into the existing story it's possible for as new angle that has the potential for a new plotline and he doesn't have to worry about any retcons or anything, much as Tarquin is being used right now.

But that's all it is: potential. It could never be mentioned again and the story doesn't suffer at all.

mootoall
2010-09-14, 09:12 PM
Also, remeber, Eugene is a selfish SOB. He always thought of Fyron as his father more than his real father, so maybe he just left out mentioning his son because he thought he wasn't important.

Completely unfounded speculation of the week: Fyron's son was a fighter.

Obani
2010-09-15, 09:37 AM
Fyron's son is none other than MARK EVANS (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_Evans)! omg.
I love this about fandoms: a few people notice some little detail, maybe unimportant, and if/when the little detain BECOMES important, the whole fandom can be all "lol, we knew that!"
It gives me warm pixelated fuzzies inside