PDA

View Full Version : Centuars,any lore?

bansidhe
2010-09-04, 12:29 PM
As above...any lore ,good fluff books for them,guy wants too play one and Ive got nothing!:),DnD mainly ...but any system will do :)

Marnath
2010-09-04, 12:30 PM
Races of the Wild has stats and a little fluff for centaurs.

Kaww
2010-09-04, 12:31 PM
Races of the wild and Greek mythology should do the trick...

Esser-Z
2010-09-04, 12:50 PM
DC20: Centaurs attack with their weapons and hooves.

Zaydos
2010-09-04, 01:02 PM
I'd be careful what you get from Greek myths. In D&D centaurs are normally CG and based off of Chiron the teacher of heroes in Greek myths who raised Theseus, and Jason and was accidentally killed by Hercules. He was also the son of Chronos.

Other mythical centaurs were a usually Chaotic Evil race and are pretty much always the bad guys (which is not how they are in D&D at all). Actually the centaur divination teacher from Harry Potter is fairly close to D&D centaurs. If you want the official fluff, though, go to Races of the Wild or the 2e Monster Manual.

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-04, 01:19 PM
No matter what mythos you go by, Centaurs are definitely going to be chaotically aligned, with the exception of a few notable heroes.

FMArthur
2010-09-04, 02:32 PM
Just use the squickiest lore available and no one will ask you again. :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2010-09-04, 03:16 PM
Just use the squickiest lore available and no one will ask you again. :smalltongue:

So that's another suggestion for Greek myths :smallsmile:

Just be careful I've had players who would ask more because of it.

dsmiles
2010-09-05, 05:46 AM
How about Greek Mythology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaur). If you really want to turn your player off of Centaurs, use this lore:

"Humans can, and will, attempt to procreate with anything."

Runestar
2010-09-05, 09:48 AM
Races of faerun has some fluff on them as well.

The Big Dice
2010-09-05, 02:16 PM
How about Greek Mythology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centaur). If you really want to turn your player off of Centaurs, use this lore:

"Humans Zeus can, and will, and has attempt to procreate successfully procreadted with anything and everything."
Fixed that for you...

Urpriest
2010-09-05, 02:29 PM
Fixed that for you...

Not Zeus's direct fault in this case though. A fellow named Centauros and some mares...

Zaydos
2010-09-05, 02:43 PM
Not Zeus's direct fault in this case though. A fellow named Centauros and some mares...

Some myths its the blood of Uranos instead... which makes centaurs close kin to Aphrodite... /shudders.

Swordgleam
2010-09-06, 06:28 PM
So that's another suggestion for Greek myths :smallsmile:

Just be careful I've had players who would ask more because of it.

Or read some Xanth novels. Piers Anthony spends entirely too much time thinking about sex with horses.

Lysander
2010-09-06, 07:08 PM
Or read some Xanth novels. Piers Anthony spends entirely too much time thinking about sex with horses.

You haven't read his Apprentice Adept series. The book has unicorns. These unicorns can shapeshift into people with horns on their heads. The main character's mount is also his girlfriend (no pun intended). It's was kind of a disturbing detail in an otherwise ok series.

The Tygre
2010-09-06, 07:37 PM
If you're really more interested in anything beyond Greek myth, than I can recommend two sources. Mongoose Publishing did a book called 'Slayer's Guide to Centaurs' at some point. Seems right up your alley; covers the CG, their religion, their lifestyles, has some PrCs and feats, etc. The only problem is that it's fairly rare, so you may need to find it as a PDF. Much more recently, Kobold Quarterly did an 'Ecology of the Centaurs' article, though I can't remember the specific issue. The centaurs here are a nice mix of the D&D and Greek myth versions.

CapnVan
2010-09-07, 02:57 AM
Dragon Magazine #103 has an extensive article, the Centaur Papers. Rules are 1E, but the fluff may be helpful for you.